This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

An Obama speech for Sal

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1An Obama speech for Sal Empty An Obama speech for Sal on 9/19/2013, 9:45 pm

“Mr. President, I rise today to talk about America’s debt problem. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills.”
“It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our government’s reckless fiscal policies. Over the past five years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is ‘‘trillion’’ with a ‘‘T.’’ That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers.”
“And over the next five years, between now and 2011, the president’s budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion.”
“Numbers that large are sometimes hard to understand. Some people may wonder why they matter. Here is why: This year, the federal government will spend $220 billion on interest. That is more money to pay interest on our national debt than we’ll spend on Medicaid and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program.
“That is more money to pay interest on our debt this year than we will spend on education, homeland security, transportation and veterans benefits combined. It is more money in one year than we are likely to spend to rebuild the devastated gulf coast in a way that honors the best of America. And the cost of our debt is one of the fastest growing expenses in the federal budget.”
“This rising debt is a hidden domestic enemy, robbing our cities and states of critical investments in infrastructure like bridges, ports and levees; robbing our families and our children of critical investments in education and health-care reform; robbing our seniors of the retirement and health security they have counted on.
“Every dollar we pay in interest is a dollar that is not going to investment in America’s priorities. Instead, interest payments are a significant tax on all Americans — a debt tax that Washington doesn’t want to talk about. If Washington were serious about honest tax relief in this country, we would see an effort to reduce our national debt by returning to responsible fiscal policies.”
“Our debt also matters internationally. My friend, the ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, likes to remind us that it took 42 presidents 224 years to run up only $1 trillion of foreign-held debt. This administration did more than that in just five years.”
“Now, there is nothing wrong with borrowing from foreign countries. But we must remember that the more we depend on foreign nations to lend us money, the more our economic security is tied to the whims of foreign leaders whose interests might not be aligned with ours.
“Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.”


-- Barack Obama

View user profile

2An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/19/2013, 10:12 pm

Read a book.

If you're considering a candidate, read their autobiography.

Especially, if it is written by Bill Ayers.

lmao

View user profile

3An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/19/2013, 11:32 pm

Sal wrote:Read a book.

If you're considering a candidate, read their autobiography.

Especially, if it is written by Bill Ayers.

lmao
Is that all you've got? That reply doesn't even make sense. I'm dissapointed in you.

View user profile

4An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/19/2013, 11:41 pm

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:Read a book.

If you're considering a candidate, read their autobiography.

Especially, if it is written by Bill Ayers.

lmao
Is that all you've got?  That reply doesn't even make sense.  I'm dissapointed in you.
Domestic Terrorist and co-founder of the Weatherman Bill Ayers is rumored to have been the actual writer of one of both books by President Barack Hussein Obama. Neither have flat out denied that happened.

View user profile

5An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/19/2013, 11:53 pm

markle, you've just given Sal an excuse to keep ignoring the point of this thread by talking about Bill Ayers. That was a total non-sequitur on the part of Sal and you just fed right into it.

View user profile

6An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/20/2013, 7:21 am

Bob wrote:That was a total non-sequitur on the part of Sal and you just fed right into it.

No it wasn't.

Read "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream", then get back to me.

I knew for whom I was voting.

The Bill Ayers remark was just an attempt at humor.

View user profile

7An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/20/2013, 7:27 am

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:That was a total non-sequitur on the part of Sal and you just fed right into it.

No it wasn't.

Read "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream", then get back to me.

I knew for whom I was voting.

The Bill Ayers remark was just an attempt at humor.
Sal,

Obama preached hard that piling up the debt was a terrible thing to do and criticized the current president for doing it. And then Obama became the president and did exactly what he had preached hard that no president should do.

I am not going to go out and buy any goddamn book wrote by any goddamn politician. That goes for Obama, it goes for Bush and it goes for Anthony Wiener.

If you can tell me what is in that goddamn book that proves all this to be wrong then do it. But if you can't do that then stop talking about that goddamn book.

View user profile

8An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/20/2013, 7:46 am

[quote="Bob"]
Sal wrote:
Sal,  

Obama preached hard that piling up the debt was a terrible thing to do and criticized the current president for doing it.  And then Obama became the president and did exactly what he had preached hard that no president should do.

I am not going to go out and buy any goddamn book wrote by any goddamn politician.  That goes for Obama,  it goes for Bush and it goes for Anthony Wiener.

If you can tell me what is in that goddamn book that proves all this to be wrong then do it.  But if you can't do that then stop talking about that goddamn book.  

The biggest factors driving the debt were the economic downturn, the Dubya tax cuts, and the Dubya wars.

Obama has done his best to roll back the later two and address the former one.

Not to my satisfaction, but then, Obama is not my progressive hero.

View user profile

9An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/20/2013, 9:19 am

Guest


Guest
Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:
Sal,  

Obama preached hard that piling up the debt was a terrible thing to do and criticized the current president for doing it.  And then Obama became the president and did exactly what he had preached hard that no president should do.

I am not going to go out and buy any goddamn book wrote by any goddamn politician.  That goes for Obama,  it goes for Bush and it goes for Anthony Wiener.

If you can tell me what is in that goddamn book that proves all this to be wrong then do it.  But if you can't do that then stop talking about that goddamn book.  

The biggest factors driving the debt were the economic downturn, the Dubya tax cuts, and the Dubya wars.

Obama has done his best to roll back the later two and address the former one.

Not to my satisfaction, but then, Obama is not my progressive hero.

it appears you are delusional.

the tax act aka bush tax cuts were in place since 2001. they didn't all of a sudden ruin the economy when odumbass took office. not to mention odumbass initially extended them when they EXPIRED.

And the so call bush wars, were VOTED on by CONGRESS and the LEFT were for it before they were agin it.

read it and weep.

Well, things did start to go south under Bush. But look at that graph more closely. In 2003, when we invaded Iraq (one of those "two wars on the credit card" that Obama likes to blame for the debt), and when we passed the Bush tax cuts (the other thing Obama likes to blame for the debt) revenue actually started to climb. The revenue and spending lines start to converge, and, as they head up to 2006 it actually looks as if the two might cross, with revenue outpacing spending.

Even the New York Times noticed, spotting unexpected increases in revenue in 2005, and in 2006 noting that a "surprising" increase in tax revenues was closing the budget gap. The heady possibility of surpluses was in the air. But -- look at the graph again -- everything changes in 2007.

What happened in 2007? The financial crisis hadn't struck yet. But we did elect a new Democratic Congress, with Democrats controlling both houses for the first time in over a decade. The trend immediately reversed, and became much worse with President Obama's election in 2008 and inauguration in 2009. (In fact, despite talk of "wars on the credit card," we could save a lot of money by cutting defense spending back to where it was in 2007.)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/01/14/debt-deficit-obama-congress/1830363/

Left people only mention congress around here when its beneficial to their argument.

please view the graph.

we were better off under bush.

odumbass doesn't know how to manage anything. its very apparent.

10An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/20/2013, 9:35 am

Chrissy wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/01/14/debt-deficit-obama-congress/1830363/

what he said.

the floor is yours, Sal.

View user profile

11An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/20/2013, 9:46 am

Glenn Reynolds?

Heh.

I'll just let this one fester for a while.

Maybe you two economic professors can figure this one out for yourselves ...

Funny, funny stuff.

View user profile

12An Obama speech for Sal Empty Re: An Obama speech for Sal on 9/20/2013, 9:56 am

Goodness no...there are hypocrites and liars in government !...stop the presses !

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum