This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Need suggestions

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Need suggestions Empty Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:06 am

I have to buy a new garage door opener. Any suggestions on a brand?

View user profile

2Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:39 am

I have no idea.  It's one of the few household items we haven't bought recently.

View user profile

3Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:40 am

Joanimaroni wrote:I have to buy a new garage door opener. Any suggestions on a brand?
Taking a page out of oddaze's book?

View user profile

4Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:50 am

gulfbeachbandit wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I have to buy a new garage door opener. Any suggestions on a brand?
lol! lol! lol! 

I am....any suggestions on what type of coffee filters I should buy? Generic or brand name?

View user profile

5Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 11:06 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
gulfbeachbandit wrote:
lol! lol! lol! 

I am....any suggestions on what type of coffee filters I should buy? Generic or brand name?
I recommend getting a coffee maker that doesn't need paper filters.
But really, I'm just waiting for you to go mattress shopping. Wink

View user profile

6Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 11:10 am

I don't know why but when I boil my coffee in a pan and strain out the grounds it tastes milder and much better than coffee made in a machine....

View user profile

7Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 11:12 am

My coffee pot doesn't need filters but I use them anyway.I can't stand to get a coffee ground in my mouth.

View user profile

8Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 11:12 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
gulfbeachbandit wrote:
lol! lol! lol! 

Unbleached.

View user profile

9Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 11:15 am

The garage opener suggestions were over-whelming. Chain versus belt, horsepower, battery back up or not, key-less entry. I know exactly what to look for.Sad

View user profile

10Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 11:15 am

Joanimaroni wrote:The garage opener suggestions were over-whelming. Chain versus belt, horsepower, battery back up or not, key-less entry. I know exactly what to look for.Sad
Sad Sad Sad Razz Razz Razz

View user profile

11Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 11:42 am

We have a Hormann garage dopor opener. Works great. Overhead Doors, Inc. of Milton did the install. Their phone number is 983-2520.

Website: http://overheaddoor.com/Pages/distributor-locator.aspx

View user profile http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

12Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 1:03 pm

The last two garage openers I just went to Lowes and bought them for under $200 for a 1/2 horsepower door and installed them. I have installed both the chain and direct drive and honestly they both were pretty simple to install. I did not have to fool around with the old dip switches and it was incredibly simple compared to one I installed in the early 90s in a house we had which had 14 foot garage ceilings. I will not fool around with garage door springs. I think that most of the stuff sold is getting incredibly simple, but although I have not played with my smart phone, most are now having applications for your phone. Stanley comes to mind, but I have no way to verify the same because I have tenants in the house and I am gone.

View user profile

13Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 1:07 pm

2seaoat wrote:I will not fool around with garage door springs.
Very wise decision.

View user profile

14Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 1:55 pm

Joani, I have a Genie Power Lift Excelerator and have never had a moments trouble with it.

FYI, here is a link to the Top 10 rated garage door openers.

http://garage-door-openers-review.toptenreviews.com/

View user profile

15Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 3:38 pm

The websites I looked at last night made the choices sound difficult. I went to Lowes  and only had 11 minutes to choose ( daughter had to pick up her kids). The chart made the choice easy....I wanted two controls and a wireless key pad. Genie Silent Max 1000, 3/4 hp belt drive Made  decision with 6 minutes to spare.

View user profile

16Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 3:54 pm

That's the garage door opener I just put in. It was relatively simple to install and it's quiet.

View user profile

17Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 4:00 pm

Captn Kaoz wrote:That's the garage door opener I just put in.  It was relatively simple to install and it's quiet.

Great....My previous opener mounted above the door rather than on the garage ceiling. I have the handy man coming over in the next day or so. I hope it won' t be a problem.

View user profile

18Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 9:45 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:The garage opener suggestions were over-whelming. Chain versus belt, horsepower, battery back up or not, key-less entry. I know exactly what to look for.Sad

We have a double garage with a heavy door. Just bought a door opener recently and picked the one with the chains because we figured they were better for the weight of the door. We also got one that has a light on the opener that comes on when the door opens and goes off when it closes. I think it was around $200, and it works very well so far. Has the number coded opener.
I can't help with the brand, because once it was installed the box was tossed. We got it at Lowe's though. A salesman should be able to make a recommendation.

19Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 9:46 pm

Captn Kaoz wrote:That's the garage door opener I just put in.  It was relatively simple to install and it's quiet.
I suspect the belt might be quieter than the chains. Ours isn't very quiet.

20Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:00 pm

bluemoon wrote:

We have a double garage with a heavy door. Just bought a door opener recently and picked the one with the chains because we figured they were better for the weight of the door. We also got one that has a light on the opener that comes  on when the door opens and goes off when it closes. I think it was around $200, and it works very well so far. Has the number coded opener.
I can't help with the brand, because once it was installed the box was tossed. We got it at Lowe's though. A salesman should be able to make a recommendation.

I got mine at Lowes ....the main thing I wanted was the key-less outside pad. Without it, I would have to pass out too many house keys. A 1/2 hp would have been sufficient for my lightweight double door....but it was not available with the pad. The opener was $208.00

View user profile

21Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:17 pm

Yeah, we are constantly losing keys around here,  and sometimes my kids go into our garage when we're not home to pick up some water skis or what-not. They'd have to have their own keys.It was a lot easier to get the code lock and just give them the code. Sounds like you may have gotten the more heavy-duty door opener like we did. We've had it 6 months. Up until then, we were having to open our door manually.  With double doors,that was a serious pain in the butt.

22Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:23 pm

bluemoon wrote:Yeah, we are constantly losing keys around here,  and sometimes my kids go into our garage when we're not home to pick up some water skis or what-not. They'd have to have their own keys.It was a lot easier to get the code lock and just give them the code. Sounds like you may have gotten the more heavy-duty door opener  like we did. We've had it 6 months. Up until then, we were having to open our door manually.  With double doors,that was a serious pain in the butt.
Damn.

I've broken a key off in the ignition, had keys dropped in the river, and had keys fall off a cliff in a backpack.

But, I've never lost keys.

That's irresponsible.

View user profile

23Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:24 pm

I have no idea either Joanie.

Ive been living in this house for going on 2 years and just discovered it has a key pad for the garage. ive been lifting it. Embarassed 

24Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 10:46 pm

Chrissy wrote:
I have no idea either Joanie.

Ive been living in this house for going on 2 years and just discovered it has a key pad for the garage. ive been lifting it. Embarassed 

You don't have a remote control for your car?

View user profile

25Need suggestions Empty Re: Need suggestions on 9/19/2013, 11:10 pm

Make sure your new door is pet friendly. My daughter's garage door did not alert when the cat tried to run under it and it came down trapping the cat's head. The poor cat was stuck there about 5 hrs. in 90 degree weather when my son in law came home and found her. He rushed her to the vets. Her head was swelled twice her head size and she almost didn't make it. It cost him several thousand for the vet bill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum