Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's Not Guns . . It's America's Sick and Violent Culture

+3
knothead
TEOTWAWKI
Wordslinger
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Face it, our culture is becoming more and more violent. What's become abundantly clear, is that so many of us are so dissatisfied, unfulfilled, and desperate with our lives, the real wonder is why more of us don't go to work with a weapon or two and choose to go out in a blaze of notorious violence.

The American way of solving problems with violence starts early -- our film heroes, our military heroes, etc. We're taught to idolize fictional characters like the ones played by John Wayne. Ask yourself, why was John Wayne such a great American idol? Answer: If he couldn't solve a problem with his fists, he did with his gun. Let's face it, our biggest idols are people who solve problems with violence. No other country relishes war the way we do. No other country has fought overseas so frequently.

Pro wrestling, mixed martial arts, boxing . . . all the "macho" sports that we apparently idolize.

Yessir, do something we don't like and we'll bomb you to nothingness.

What we've got here, is a country whose government is totally dysfunctional, an economy that is anything but a fair deal for the middle class, an educational system that sucks, and financial regulations guaranteed to make the ultra rich richer while suffocating everyone else.

Like I said, considering how we idolize violence, it's a wonder that more shooting massacres aren't taking place. We're down to one dreadful incident every two or three months.

And the peaceful time between the dreadful mass killings is steadily decreasing.

Yessir, what we need are more guns and the willingness to use them, for whatever, whenever.

Reality!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I agree with what you said but I am totally against violence. The only reason to ever use violence is in self-defense or to defend another from harm. If I saw someone stealing my car and had a gun there is no way I would fire. It's a choice to be violent.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/06/11/12170947-fbi-violent-crime-rates-in-the-us-drop-approach-historic-lows?lite

knothead

knothead

slinger, I do agree with most of your comments . . . . it is a sad commentary about where we are as a nation, paralyzed by competing and diametrically opposed political ideologies, caught in a web of a population of people who either feel deprived or feel like never is enough but few consider the damage we are collectively doing to our country.

I say, good post!

Wordslinger wrote:Face it, our culture is becoming more and more violent.  What's become abundantly clear, is that so many of us are so dissatisfied, unfulfilled, and desperate with our lives, the real wonder is why more of us don't go to work with a weapon or two and choose to go out in a blaze of notorious violence.

The American way of solving problems with violence starts early -- our film heroes, our military heroes, etc.  We're taught to idolize fictional characters like the ones played by John Wayne.  Ask yourself, why was John Wayne such a great American idol?  Answer: If he couldn't solve a problem with his fists, he did with his gun.  Let's face it, our biggest idols are people who solve problems with violence.  No other country relishes war the way we do.  No other country has fought overseas so frequently.

Pro wrestling, mixed martial arts, boxing . . . all the "macho" sports that we apparently idolize.  

Yessir, do something we don't like and we'll bomb you to nothingness.  

What we've got here, is a country whose government is totally dysfunctional, an economy that is anything but a fair deal for the middle class, an educational system that sucks, and financial regulations guaranteed to make the ultra rich richer while suffocating everyone else.

Like I said, considering how we idolize violence, it's a wonder that more shooting massacres aren't taking place.  We're down to one dreadful incident every two or three months.  

And the peaceful time between the dreadful mass killings is steadily decreasing.

Yessir, what we need are more guns and the willingness to use them, for whatever, whenever.

Reality!
Reality?

Youre a little out dated there buddy. The people out there causing most of this violence sure as hell aint John wayne fans for the most part. Its snoop dogg gang banger fans.

knothead

knothead

The people out there causing most of this violence sure as hell aint John wayne fans for the most part. Its snoop dogg gang banger fans

I agree with you Chrissy but only because of your accurate criticism of an out dated analogy . . . . . the more contemporary citation of snoopy clearly rules the day . . . . it does not change the point slinger is making and you don't need that explained . . . . none of us live under a rock and his point is very well made despite an outdated 'hero-shoot-em-up-dude' . . . .

Do you think America is more violent now than it was during prohibition? The Labor unrest of the 30s? WW2 and the Korean war when we had 10s of 1000s of men fighting. Granted it was not our soil but we were still bombing and trying to kill the Japanense and the Germans and in Korea, the Chinese. Violence is Violence whether it is in your town or not. Do you really think this is some type of new phenomenon that has just suddenly appeared on the American landscape? Ask the American Indians.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think what you're seeing with all these mass shootings is people who don't have the capacity to fit into this society in any successful way.
It's not easy for any of us to cope with but somehow we're able to. But there are many who can't. And amongst those, there are some who will just go completely off the reservation.
And I have no delusions about the role guns play in that. If it was not so easy to get guns in this society some of these mass shootings would likely not have happened. Yes in some cases the same kind of people would opt for other methods and the boston bombings make the case for that. But, if the guns weren't so readily available, some of these shootings would probably not have happened.

The inner city gun violence is pretty easily explained as well. You have so many youth in that culture who don't fit into our version of society so they create their own self worth apart from that. The competition in their society has nothing to do with how we interact and compete in ours. For them, the competition is to be the meanest and toughest with the biggest guns in the neighborhood.

So what do we do about this. How do we change all this.
I'm not against trying to use laws to control the availability of guns if it would actually work.
It's just that I've never seen any evidence yet that limiting the sales of certain types of guns does anything to curb gun violence.
I think we're stuck with this violence as long as we maintain the society we have. And finding the way to un-maintain it is even a challenge for the smartest people in the world, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. I think that goal is even above the pay grade of Jesus H. Christ himself.

knothead wrote:The people out there causing most of this violence sure as hell aint John wayne fans for the most part. Its snoop dogg gang banger fans

I agree with you Chrissy but only because of your accurate criticism of an out dated analogy . . . . . the more contemporary citation of snoopy clearly rules the day . . . . it does not change the point slinger is making and you don't need that explained . . . . none of us live under a rock and his point is very well made despite an outdated 'hero-shoot-em-up-dude' . . . .
I just wanted to make sure we stay as accurate as possible as ugly as some might try to make it.

I have been screaming ITS CULTURE on here for I don't know how long. And finally word comes and makes a thread and all of a sudden its culture.

well Im just glad that's settled.

How did we get here and what do we do about it?

Because I can assure you every idea I have to help solve the problem is regressive, and im not that old. Im still a little hip.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well what do you expect from a culture of teams ?  It is the police teams and of course their divisions FBI DHS DEA CIA NSA BATF etc....and then there's the Military teams we idolize The Marines, the Army and it's various teams The Navy Coast guard  on and on teams of men and women building us them relationships with everyone around...It's no wonder you have Black, Hispanic and Skinhead gangs (teams). These teams are like the Jews and their chosen team and if you are looking for the cause of violence go back to the original gang  ...Cain and Abel....they both were special and Cain couldn't handle the competition and thud crunch a dead brother. Been happening ever since. Look how much hate Pacedog has for the Muslims. He and his team have a all too natural hate which grows out of a most natural nature. Tribes....There is no unity anywhere only them and us.

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 9/18/2013, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

knothead

knothead

Chrissy wrote:
knothead wrote:The people out there causing most of this violence sure as hell aint John wayne fans for the most part. Its snoop dogg gang banger fans

I just wanted to make sure we stay as accurate as possible as ugly as some might try to make it.

I have been screaming ITS CULTURE on here for I don't know how long. And finally word comes and makes a thread and all of a sudden its culture.

well Im just glad that's settled.

How did we get here and what do we do about it?

Because I can assure you every idea I have to help solve the problem is regressive, and im not that old. Im still a little hip.
I 2nd that emotion . . . . Smile 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:Do you think America is more violent now than it was during prohibition? The Labor unrest of the 30s?  WW2 and the Korean war when we had 10s of 1000s of men fighting.  Granted it was not our soil but we were still bombing and trying to kill the Japanense and the Germans and in Korea, the Chinese.  Violence is Violence whether it is in your town or not.  Do you really think this is some type of new phenomenon that has just suddenly appeared on the American landscape? Ask the American Indians.
The numerous mass shootings are a relatively new phenomenon.  Since 1991 we've had all this (and most of these started with Columbine in 1999).  

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-17/us-shootings3a-timeline/4962468

Before that you really have to go back to 1966 for the Charles Whitman incident (the sniper atop the tower at the university of texas).

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yeah Russia, China, Germany and many other nations have had mass shootings for years..mostly by government...
It's Not Guns . . It's America's Sick and Violent Culture 40316910

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Yeah Russia, China Germany and many other nations have had mass shootings for years..mostly by government...
You're leaving out something aren't you. According to Alex Jones (and you believe him), the U.S. Government is the one doing all the mass shootings here too. lol

I guess killings by the Mob and thugs dont count.

The 1932 Ford Hunger March massacre:The unemployed get bullets, not bread

Mattie Woodson tore off a piece of her dress and leaned down to wipe blood off the neck of Joe DeBlasio, desperately trying to save the life of the young demonstrator. It was too late. DeBlasio was dying. He lay in Miller Road in Dearborn, Michigan, just a few yards in front of the gigantic River Rouge complex of the Ford Motor Company. He had been shot when Dearborn police officers and thugs from Ford’s brutal “Service Department” opened fire on unarmed demonstrators. It was March 7, 1932. The protest which had originally been called “the Ford Hunger March” had just become a massacre.

DeBlasio was one of five people who died after being shot that day. Dozens of others were wounded. The Ford Hunger March took place in the midst of the Great Depression, just 28 months after the stock market crash of October 1929. The month of March 2012 marks 80 years since that massacre, but its effects can still be felt.

Saint Valentine's Day Massacre
Main article: Saint Valentine's Day Massacre

The St. Valentine's Day Massacre eliminated some of Capone's enemies, but outraged the general public
It is believed[by whom?] that Capone ordered the 1929 Saint Valentine's Day Massacre in the Lincoln Park neighborhood on Chicago's North Side. Details of the killing of the seven victims[4] in a garage at 2122 North Clark Street (then the SMC Cartage Co.) and the extent of Capone's involvement are widely disputed. No one was ever brought to trial for the crime.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

No one is disputing all the violence caused as a result of Prohibition, Ichi.
And of course outlawing semi-automatic and other guns would accomplish exactly what Prohibition did. It would create another violent underworld of organized crime supplying the guns. Which would result in even more violence heaped on top of the current violence.

But there's a difference between gangsters killing to further the profits of their rackets;
and nuts shooting down random people in the streets and children in elementary schools and assholes blowing up people at a marathon race.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Yeah Russia, China Germany and many other nations have had mass shootings for years..mostly by government...
You're leaving out something aren't you.  According to Alex Jones (and you believe him),  the U.S. Government is the one doing all the mass shootings here too.  lol
Yeah probably ...so what...they sure showed their true colors at Ruby Ridge and WACO and if you were to just scratch the surface at Oklahoma City. Of course 911. All the other shootings are suspicious in that the CIA has been trying to Chemically control people for decades. Of course Boston was just a drill that they took live and blamed it on their handy Patsy...just like Lee Harvey....So what again ? as long as there people that believe it's TOOOO incredible, they will get away with murder..

ttp://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-17/us-shootings3a-timeline/4962468

Before that you really have to go back to 1966 for the Charles Whitman incident (the sniper atop the tower at the university of texas).

Howard Barton Unruh (January 21, 1921 – October 19, 2009) was an American mass murderer[2][3] (sometimes classified as a spree killer[4]) who killed 13 people (including three children) during a 12-minute walk through his neighborhood on September 6, 1949, in Camden, New Jersey, when he was 28 years old.[5] He died in 2009 after a lengthy illness at the age of 88. The incident became known as the "Walk of Death

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's just like the inner city gun violence, Ichi. Yes there were always people getting gunned down in the ghetto in Chicago.
But you didn't have a dozen separate gun killings in one night like they're experiencing now.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And it's not just Chicago.
You and I have both lived in Pensacola for a long time, Ichi.
And we didn't have the level of gun violence in earlier times that we have now.

Markle

Markle

Sadly, I am no longer surprised at how much hate Progressives have for our great country and how little they think of their fellow citizens.

Little wonder more and more people no longer have pride in their country and are more than happy to sit back, play the victim and demand handouts from tax payers.

To say our culture is any more violent than scores of other countries is simply foolish.

How desperate must they be? They even have the leader they were led to believe was going to bring peace to the world, eliminate class warfare, racism and poverty.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Charles Whitman story is an incredible read on wiki. I never knew any of the details until reading it tonight.
Especially the part which starts after he's climbing the tower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman#Preparations_for_tower_shootings

Drugs changed everything. It is really not worth discussing. You are correct. We did not have much gun Violence. But we all had guns. Damn I even used to carry my shotgun in a rack in the back window of my pick up. When you went on "T" to service your machines, you knew the bar keep or some one had a damn shotgun under the counter. Odds were at that in a Juke Joint some one was carrying.. I am sure they did, but I can not ever remember a Cop shooting anyone. Times were different..............

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Markle wrote:Sadly, I am no longer surprised at how much hate Progressives have for our great country and how little they think of their fellow citizens.

Little wonder more and more people no longer have pride in their country and are more than happy to sit back, play the victim and demand handouts from tax payers.

To say our culture is any more violent than scores of other countries is simply foolish.

How desperate must they be?  They even have the leader they were led to believe was going to bring peace to the world, eliminate class warfare, racism and poverty.
No actually our Government exports violence to other countries ...how many wars have were had since Vietnam ? 11, 12...How many times were those wars actually defensive wars ?...never..we are lead by our occupied and controlled government to be an imperialist nation like we condemned Japan for being.

How desperate must they be? They even have the leader they were led to believe was going to bring peace to the world, eliminate class warfare, racism and poverty.

Who was that? Lyndon Johnson? or was it Reagan?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum