Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Students Take Field Trip to Mosque, Receive Koran

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

A Tennessee high school has decided to revise its field trip policy after a group of freshmen were taken to an Islamic mosque where they were given copies of the Koran and while a student who opted out of the trip was given a worksheet that alleged Muslims treated their conquered people better than the United States treated minorities.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/students-take-field-trip-to-mosque-receive-koran.html

I wait for your outrage.....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Rather than outrage, what I'm feeling most is hunger for a Sonny's bbq pork sandwhich.

Nekochan

Nekochan

LOL, Bob.  Still looking for a good Mexican restaurant here, but at least we have Sonny's.  

The Gideons used to hand out Bibles at schools in Florida.  I remember receiving one when I was in 3rd or 4th grade.   I am pretty sure that they are no longer allowed to do this.

Gee-zus Thats crazy!! Going to a Mosque and touching a Koran? God will not be happy with that. One time I went to a Shinto temple. But I learned my lesson. God killed my wife for my disobedience. Lesson learned.

Nekochan

Nekochan

We love Japanese gardens and statuary.   When we lived in Japan, we went to this old guy's house (a Japanese "picker").  He had a large collection of stuff that he had been collecting for years.   He led us through an outside shed full of stuff and then we headed to the back yard area where he had assorted stone statuary.  Some of these pieces were hundreds of years old. We were drawn to one piece of a Buddha type figure.  He told us that it was 200-300 years old and had probably been at a temple.  He gave us a price on it, we bought it.  I remember telling my mother (a Baptist) that we had bought this old Buddha type statute  that came from a temple at some point in time.  She expressed some concern over this...that we had bought a religious item and that we were going to put it in our yard.  I told her:  Mama, we aren't going to worship the thing or pray to it or anything like that. We just like it as a decorative piece for our garden.   

Anyway, back to this story...I do think that any rules/laws about religion in schools should be applied the same for every religion.  Korans, Bibles, Book of Buddha, etc....all should be treated the same way in public schools.

I wonder how many, if any, people on this forum own a copy of the Koran. If so, Have you ever read it?

Nekochan

Nekochan

I have not read the Koran.  I did once read parts of The Book of Buddha while staying in a Japanese hotel.   It's a very easy read, with lots of wise sayings.

I could maybe see this as an independent assignment for a college class on religion... I doubt it fits a hs curriculum.

Nekochan

Nekochan

If there's going to be a high school religion class, there should be a balanced representation of each religion.   The problem is...who decides what is balanced?

Sal

Sal

Sonny's sucks.

I don't know how anyone who appreciates good BBQ can eat there.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sal wrote:Sonny's sucks.

I don't know how anyone who appreciates good BBQ can eat there.
It depends on what type of barbecue you like, I guess.   I don't care for Carolina barbecue.  Some barbecue in north Alabama was pretty good, some was mediocre.   The white barbecue sauce in Alabama..I did not like. No  

The best barbecue I've had was in Texas.   Sonny's isn't Texas barbecue, it isn't Carolina barbecue.  I guess it's Florida barbecue.  And I like it.  I've been to some Sonny's that were not as good as others.  The one we have nearest us is good.   

But when we want Texas barbecue, we cross the St John's River and go to Dickey's.

2 for 1 BBQ beef or pulled Pork sandwich's( Regular bun or Texas toast) every Monday at the drive thru. 4.87 Tax included.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I think Sonny's has the best sweet tea. It's good and consistent at every Sonny's I've been to.

Yella

Yella

Chrissy wrote:A Tennessee high school has decided to revise its field trip policy after a group of freshmen were taken to an Islamic mosque where they were given copies of the Koran and while a student who opted out of the trip was given a worksheet that alleged Muslims treated their conquered people better than the United States treated minorities.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/students-take-field-trip-to-mosque-receive-koran.html

I wait for your outrage.....
I bet they couldn't march into a Mosque in Iran.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

It may be akin to trying to define Christianity by watching Benny Hinn and Pat Roberson on TV.

Yella

Yella

Mr Ichi wrote:It may be akin to trying to define Christianity by watching Benny Hinn and Pat Roberson on TV.
It worked for me, Mr Ichi, they convinced me I don't want any part of it.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum