This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

In Memoriam - Birmingham church bombing

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Guest


Guest
Mr Ichi wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:The sad part is that people "assume" they know what me and my people were thinking 50 years ago.  Most of it is based on their perception of the events as it pertained to them.  It is a false assumption.  
I was in grade school....my family didn't have a damn thing to do with that type of behaviour. They were not racist. I'll be damned before I allow someone try and make me feel guilty about an event that I had nothing to do with me.
My Mother and Grandmother cried and it took a toll on them.  My Father called the bombers "Chickenshit MFers"as did most other people i knew.  But it is unless to say any different.  We are all painted with the same brush.  To hell with it, we know the truth.

Did you live in Pensacola? I never heard anyone here calling anybody a chickenshit MFer back then. As a matter of fact, people didn't use that term in public in the 60's.If your dad used it around you, he was a very unusual person in that day and age. Southern fathers didn't let their kids hear them say things like that.
Exactly where were you at this table, one more time?

Just don't worry about it if I don't believe a word you say.
Because right now, I'm finding some of what you say very iffy.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni
Mr Ichi wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:The sad part is that people "assume" they know what me and my people were thinking 50 years ago.  Most of it is based on their perception of the events as it pertained to them.  It is a false assumption.  
I was in grade school....my family didn't have a damn thing to do with that type of behaviour. They were not racist. I'll be damned before I allow someone try and make me feel guilty about an event that I had nothing to do with me.
My Mother and Grandmother cried and it took a toll on them.  My Father called the bombers "Chickenshit MFers"as did most other people i knew.  But it is unless to say any different.  We are all painted with the same brush.  To hell with it, we know the truth.

The guilty one screams the loudest.  

I do remember mass being said for the victims and to stop the violence. Many members of our church (including my grandmother) attended mass at St. Anthony's on Davis Hwy.

Nekochan

Nekochan
I guess if you do a race count when you go into a restaurant you can make a determination of whether it's seemingly white.  I just don't really notice.  Maybe it's because I lived for years in a country where I was a minority.  At first, you take notice when you are out in town and there are other people who look like you.  But after awhile you don't really notice race or color.

Guest


Guest
Maybe it's because you never ate in this town with a black friend and experienced a waitress who waited on at least 5 people that came in after you and continued to do so until you walked up to her and asked where the manager's office was located.
And I'm not talking about the 1950's, I'm talking about something that happened about 5 years or so ago at Granny Cantrell's buffet  A good Southern restaurant that wasn't very welcome to black people.

You people have  your heads up your asses if you think this isn't still one of the most racist areas in America.
And as for being ashamed of the South in the 1960's, no, I don't have to feel ashamed of my family either. But I never once had any thought that our family was the majority of opinion  back  then. When To Kill a Mockingbird came out and I was in Jr.  High School, I knew a hell of a lot more Bob Ewells than I did Atticus Finch's.   If  you weren't a George Wallace worshiper, you pretty much kept your damned mouth shut in public or somebody would set you straight. Mr Ichi, I don't know where you're getting that memory of yours from, but it's not from Pensacola history. The first black kid that attended Escambia High School was beaten so badly he never came back. I can only believe you're very selective in what you want to remember.



Last edited by bluemoon on 9/16/2013, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan
bluemoon wrote:Maybe it's because you never ate in this town with a black friend and experienced a waitress who waited on at least 5 people that came in after you and continued to do so until you walked up to her and asked where the manager's office was located.
And I'm not talking about the 1950's, I'm talking about something that happened about 5 years or so ago at Granny Cantrell's buffet  A good Southern restaurant that wasn't very welcome to black people.

You people have  your heads up your asses if you think this isn't still one of the most racist areas in America.
And as for being ashamed of the South in the 1960's, no, I don't have to feel ashamed of my family either. But I never once had any thought that our family was the majority of opinion  back  then. When To Kill a Mockingbird came out and I was in Jr.  High School, I knew a hell of a lot more Bob Ewells than I did Atticus Finch's.   If  you weren't a George Wallace worshiper, you pretty much kept your damned mouth shut in public or somebody would set you straight. Mr Ichi, I don't know where you're getting that memory of yours from, but it's not from Pensacola history. I can only believe you're very selective in what you want to remember.
How is that a seemingly white restaurant?  Didn't you specifically say that seemingly white restaurants could be friendly towards blacks?

Guest


Guest
You know what I said.
Granny Cantrells was not a "black friendly" restaurant. We didn't know that before we went in to eat.
Some restaurants are,and some aren't. The law is the law, but the attitude of the ownership trickles down to the employees.

It doesn't need to be of any interest to you at all dearie. I'm pretty sure you'll never experience discrimination in an eating situation.

And I'm pretty sure I've said about all I have to say on the subject of the 60's. It's not a pretty time in this country's history to go back to, or even to think about. No matter what anybody claims.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni
bluemoon wrote:Maybe it's because you never ate in this town with a black friend and experienced a waitress who waited on at least 5 people that came in after you and continued to do so until you walked up to her and asked where the manager's office was located.
And I'm not talking about the 1950's, I'm talking about something that happened about 5 years or so ago at Granny Cantrell's buffet  A good Southern restaurant that wasn't very welcome to black people.

You people have  your heads up your asses if you think this isn't still one of the most racist areas in America.
And as for being ashamed of the South in the 1960's, no, I don't have to feel ashamed of my family either. But I never once had any thought that our family was the majority of opinion  back  then. When To Kill a Mockingbird came out and I was in Jr.  High School, I knew a hell of a lot more Bob Ewells than I did Atticus Finch's.   If  you weren't a George Wallace worshiper, you pretty much kept your damned mouth shut in public or somebody would set you straight. Mr Ichi, I don't know where you're getting that memory of yours from, but it's not from Pensacola history. I can only believe you're very selective in what you want to remember.


Good grief you have a black friend.....really? You act like that is some huge deal that you wear as a badge of honor.Get over it, Cat. In this day and age race doesn't matter to most people...but you feel the need to brag about having a black friend.

Cheddars serves Chicken and Waffles not pancakes. For your information so does Five Sisters and it hasn't slowed customers down. I can t give a ratio because I don't pay one damn bit of attention to what color the restaurant patrons are.

I think you grew up with some serious racial problems and negative feelings toward blacks.

Nekochan

Nekochan
bluemoon wrote:You know what I said.
Granny Cantrells was not a "black friendly" restaurant. We didn't know that before we went in to eat.
Some restaurants are,and some aren't. The law is the law, but the attitude of the ownership trickles down to the employees.

It doesn't need to be of any interest to you at all dearie. I'm pretty sure you'll never experience discrimination in an eating situation.

And I'm pretty sure I've said about all I have to say on the subject of the 60's. It's not a pretty time in this country's history to go back to, or even to think about.  No matter what anybody claims.
You said on Ichi-san's good day thread (My Day Today) that you had been to seemingly white restaurants where they treated black customers very well.
But now you're saying that seemingly white restaurants do not treat black customers well?

Guest


Guest
Did you live in Pensacola? I never heard anyone here calling anybody a chickenshit MFer back then. As a matter of fact, people didn't use that term in public in the 60's.If your dad used it around you, he was a very unusual person in that day and age. Southern fathers didn't let their kids hear them say things like that.
Exactly where were you at this table, one more time


I was living on "K"st, where I was born. I was a grown man I was 21 years old, not a kid, You never heard anything like that, I guess because you did not live around us. My Grandfather could cuss even worse than my Dad. My father very seldomed cursed but when he did, he made it count. My roots go way back on the West side of Pensacola. Who in the hell are you to be saying what my Father was like? Go cry and wept with Seaoats. Maybe it will help you with your guilt. I have none. I did not do it.......

2seaoat


What a positive and uplifting conversation to remember those children. The distance we try to put between ourselves and the De Jure society which existed just 50 years ago does not seem that long ago. The folks who used to dynamite folks in Birmingham looked like all my uncles. I have told the stories of riding in one of my Uncles trucks as we picked up chickens all around Birmingham for 30 miles and brought them downtown to be slaughtered. Good people and people I loved, but the evil institute of slavery which officially died one hundred years before, has not completely died fifty years hence as this thread clearly indicates. Folks like being around their own. When we are all our own......that is the question.......we get closer every day.

Markle

Markle
So long as we have race baiters like Floridatexan, Bluemoon, President Barack Hussein Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, Rev. Jerimiah Wright, Rev. Al Sharpton, Minister Louis Farrakhan, Father Pflager, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sr., Rev. Jesse Jackson, Jr., King Samir Shabazz, Van Jones, Barney Franks, Charlie Rangel, Barbara Boxer, Maxine Waters, Sheila Jackson Lee, Andre Carson, Shirley Sherrod…and others, we'll continue to have racism. They cannot afford to let it die.

They act like nothing has changed in the past fifty years and they are all still victims.

Pathetic!

Guest


Guest
Posted 7 hours ago on Facebook
Yo! Mr xxxxx I just finished a movie called Time Piece with James earl Jones as the only black actor in it and it made me feel very good and blessed to have you as my friend. We've only known each other for a few years but I feel that I've known you alot longer.

Not bad from a Black Guy to a Racist dude like me LOL

2seaoat


They act like nothing has changed in the past fifty years and they are all still victims.

Pathetic!


I would be a fool to deny that some people exploit for a profit the racism which exists in this country. Sometimes the remedy is worse than the illness, but it is not that easy to eliminate fear and prejudice.

I play poker with a young black manager of cell phone store. He is bright and articulate, and plays a great game of poker. I enjoy his company and his conversation. He could be my son. However, waiting to get into the poker room game on the LIST, I will often play the carnival games at the casino(a terrible proposition......you will lose) I sat next to a mid 30 young black woman who was just angry and rude. She was betting too high of stakes for a recreational player or someone out for a night of enjoyment, and she would take up space and argue about how other people played their hands. My first impression of her covered with tats and noticeably overweight, was what a jerk. I later peeled my feelings back and I thought she fit every negative stereotype. I made a conscious effort to use humor and be friendly....she wanted none of it.....she had about as much use for me as she did for the bad cards she was misplaying. I realize that the door swings both ways, and what life experiences has she had, or what cultural training has she had which makes our mutual perceptions of each other so low. I do not have the answer, but I make no apology for my thoughts. I just hope that I can limited them with my time left, and be a better person, but that does take everybody trying.

Guest


Guest
Mr Ichi wrote:Posted 7 hours ago on Facebook
Yo! Mr xxxxx  I just finished a movie called Time Piece with James earl Jones as the only black actor in it and it made me feel very good and blessed to have you as my friend. We've only known each other for a few years but I feel that I've known you alot longer.

Not bad from a Black Guy to a Racist dude like me LOL
Its not necessary for you to try and prove you are not racist.

as far as this. Heres how I see it.

This just in: Hurry lefties make white on black racism important again. we cant let them forget. never ever let them forget. because when things become equal, we wont be as important again. pirat 

PS: I wasn't even born yet.

Guest


Guest
I got off but then came back to see if Mr Ichi had said where that restaurant was located.I see he has not.My spouse ,  who also grew up in this town, wanted me to find out.  Because my spouse's memory is the same as mine,that this was George Wallace country to the hilt and that it was not due to him wanting smaller government. It was linked directly to his standing firm against the integration of schools and colleges in the state of Alabama. Our memories are the same, as are our politics, to anyone that it might concern.  We both remember this as being a place with a huge majority of citizens who opposed the integration of schools and who didn't want to use the same toilets as a black person.
I guess MR Ichi's memory, over on K street, must have been of some K street commune of a few blocks where racism wasn't allowed in Pensacola. I didn't know a commune like that  existed back then.  Wow, how refreshing to know it now.

As for "bragging" about  a black friend, I don't believe  that mentioning that I have a black friend is bragging.  It says a lot more of you that you seem to be disbelieving that white people can have black friends and mention them casually in a conversation without being bragging about it. It's no "badge of honor" to have a black friend, but neither will I stop and think about saying it in a conversation because I'm afraid of what You might think, Mrs Kravitz. I don't care if my friends are black or white,  but the conversation about the restaurant would have made  no sense at all had I not mentioned what the "so called' problem with the waitresses duties was, would it?

It would have been completely illogical.

This is a conversation about racism,am I wrong?  That was a racist incident in a restaurant. Here in Pensacola and within the last few years. Your denials to the contrary,  we've come only a short way in the last 50 years. As the younger generation comes of age, this "problem" will go away.   I see very little racial animosity among the young people I know. Thank god- when this generation passes, I think things will be so much better for mankind. There are a lot of haters here in America,and in the South, and dying is the only thing that will cure them.



Last edited by bluemoon on 9/16/2013, 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan
I have been at restaurants where I wasn't getting good service or a refill or whatever, but the tables across from me were being served. I never thought it was because of race, I just thought it was bad service.  When you are black, maybe it's race, maybe it's not.  I just wouldn't automatically jump to that conclusion.

I did experience (or my friends did) what I am almost sure was racism once in New Orleans when my Japanese friends were followed all over a store by the store's security guard.

Guest


Guest
In January of 1964 I sat a table with a group of Black men. 4 months after the bombings. They did not hate me nor did I hate them

Fort Jackson South Carolina 1st Battlaion Company E. And your Point is?

Guest


Guest
It's possible that was racism, but from the fact that when the waitress finally did come over and serve my friend (it wasn't only a buffet in the mornings, before Gladys interjects), my food was warm but not that of my table mate. The snarly look she gave my friend could have been made into a cartoon. What she didn't know is that this person usually tips between $6 and $8 for a morning meal, and this little blonde bitch didn't get a penny out of either of us.
So,she got her just desserts, IMO.

Later on we heard that it wasn't the first time that restaurant had been accused of racism.

It's still around , there's not any doubt of that.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni
bluemoon wrote:I got off but then came back to see if Mr Ichi had said where that restaurant was located.I see he has not.My spouse ,  who also grew up in this town, wanted me to find out.  Because my spouse's memory is the same as mine,that this was George Wallace country to the hilt and that it was not due to him wanting smaller government. It was linked directly to his standing firm against the integration of schools and colleges in the state of Alabama. Our memories are the same, as are our politics, to anyone that it might concern.  We both remember this as being a place with a huge majority of citizens who opposed the integration of schools and who didn't want to use the same toilets as a black person.
I guess MR Ichi's memory, over on K street, must have been of some K street commune of a few blocks where racism wasn't allowed in Pensacola. I didn't know a commune like that  existed back then.  Wow, how refreshing to know it now.

As for "bragging" about  a black friend, I don't believe  that mentioning that I have a black friend is bragging.  It says a lot more of you that you seem to be disbelieving that white people can have black friends and mention them casually in a conversation without being bragging about it. It's no "badge of honor" to have a black friend, but neither will I stop and think about saying it in a conversation because I'm afraid of what You might think, Mrs Kravitz.  I don't care if my friends are black or white,  but the conversation about the restaurant would have made  no sense at all had I not mentioned what the "so called' problem with the waitresses duties was, would it?

It would have been completely illogical.

This is a conversation about racism,am I wrong?  That was a racist incident in a restaurant. Here in Pensacola and within the last few years. Your denials to the contrary,  we've come only a short way in the last 50 years. As the younger generation comes of age, this "problem" will go away.   I see very little racial animosity among the young people I know. Thank god- when this generation passes, I think things will be so much better for mankind. There are a lot of haters here in America,and in the South, and dying is the only thing that will cure them.


You didn't quote my post...I never said that...... you intentionally misinterpreted my comment to suit yourself and your argument.


Mr. Itchi...... Cat is projecting her past feelings ( guilt) on to others. 

Psychological projection is a defense mechanism in which a person attributes undesirable thoughts or feelings onto someone else...

Guest


Guest
Mr Ichi wrote:In January of 1964 I sat a table with a group of Black men. 4 months after the bombings. They did not hate me nor did I hate them

Fort Jackson South Carolina 1st Battlaion Company E.    And your Point is?
LOL, My point is that I outright  asked you and I ASSumed that you were soldiers.  Of course in a military town in the 60's you're not  going to notice prejudice against your table mates.  The guys in the service were treated better because they were looked on as good N's.
Not rabble rousing, civil rights pushing N's, but just some of the "good ones." There were always "good ones." They were the ones that "knew their place" and didn't try to mix too much with white folk.
What an example to use.  Pensacola wasn't Jackson S.C, and a soldier in the 60's wasn't a freedom rider.

That's hilarious.

I knew it.

Guest


Guest
LOL It was not a restaurant. It was a mess hall. We all lived together. Ate, showered, worked, slept in same area. We lived it. Not just talk shit like you do.....

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni
Chrissy wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:Posted 7 hours ago on Facebook
Yo! Mr xxxxx  I just finished a movie called Time Piece with James earl Jones as the only black actor in it and it made me feel very good and blessed to have you as my friend. We've only known each other for a few years but I feel that I've known you alot longer.

Not bad from a Black Guy to a Racist dude like me LOL
Its not necessary for you to try and prove you are not racist.

as far as this. Heres how I see it.

This just in: Hurry lefties make white on black racism important again. we cant let them forget. never ever let them forget. because when things become equal, we wont be as important again. pirat 

PS: I wasn't even born yet.


What kind of lame-ass excuse is that.Smile 



Get down on your knees and atone for the sins for which you were never a part of. Beg forgiveness from the forum member with one black friend....the one that still separates the races and does a black- white restaurant head count.

Nekochan

Nekochan
The military (the Navy, specifically) was the first institution to desegregate.  More so than probably anywhere else, everyone is treated the same in the military. 

With a draft going on back during Vietnam,  I don't know how there was "good" or  "bad"  blacks (or whites).  They were all in the same boat and I believe, even back then, the military treated them all the same.

Guest


Guest
Joanimaroni wrote:
bluemoon wrote:I got off but then came back to see if Mr Ichi had said where that restaurant was located.I see he has not.My spouse ,  who also grew up in this town, wanted me to find out.  Because my spouse's memory is the same as mine,that this was George Wallace country to the hilt and that it was not due to him wanting smaller government. It was linked directly to his standing firm against the integration of schools and colleges in the state of Alabama. Our memories are the same, as are our politics, to anyone that it might concern.  We both remember this as being a place with a huge majority of citizens who opposed the integration of schools and who didn't want to use the same toilets as a black person.
I guess MR Ichi's memory, over on K street, must have been of some K street commune of a few blocks where racism wasn't allowed in Pensacola. I didn't know a commune like that  existed back then.  Wow, how refreshing to know it now.

As for "bragging" about  a black friend, I don't believe  that mentioning that I have a black friend is bragging.  It says a lot more of you that you seem to be disbelieving that white people can have black friends and mention them casually in a conversation without being bragging about it. It's no "badge of honor" to have a black friend, but neither will I stop and think about saying it in a conversation because I'm afraid of what You might think, Mrs Kravitz.  I don't care if my friends are black or white,  but the conversation about the restaurant would have made  no sense at all had I not mentioned what the "so called' problem with the waitresses duties was, would it?

It would have been completely illogical.

This is a conversation about racism,am I wrong?  That was a racist incident in a restaurant. Here in Pensacola and within the last few years. Your denials to the contrary,  we've come only a short way in the last 50 years. As the younger generation comes of age, this "problem" will go away.   I see very little racial animosity among the young people I know. Thank god- when this generation passes, I think things will be so much better for mankind. There are a lot of haters here in America,and in the South, and dying is the only thing that will cure them.
You didn't quote my post...I never said that...... you intentionally misinterpreted my comment to suit yourself and your argument.


Mr. Itchi...... Cat is projecting her past feelings ( guilt) on to others. 

Psychological projection is a defense mechanism in which a person attributes undesirable thoughts or feelings onto someone else...
I don't even need to answer  to your accusations Ms. Kravitz because I don't  feel enough guilt to even consider the possibility of you being right.
I also don't need to answer it because anyone who knows me personally or the history of my family back in the 60's knows that what I say is true.
My family were  the N.Lovers on the block. We also were the family that liked the German lady around the corner and the Italian  lady across the street, even though their husbands had both fought against us in the Great War.  My dad WAS Atticus Finch on the subject of racism. I've never known a human being in my life that I respected more than him.

He didn't learn that tolerance here in Pensacola, he learned it from being an athlete and from years overseas and in the military. Athletes are rarely racists, especially those that work in a team sport in an integrated setting. They gain respect for each other,and it's a good way for anyone to learn some important lessons in life. My dad learned those lessons and he taught his children how to act towards others as well as the value of keeping promises.

So take your opinions somewhere else. They are not worthy of a response.



Last edited by bluemoon on 9/16/2013, 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Markle

Markle
bluemoon wrote:I got off but then came back to see if Mr Ichi had said where that restaurant was located.I see he has not.My spouse ,  who also grew up in this town, wanted me to find out.  Because my spouse's memory is the same as mine,that this was George Wallace country to the hilt and that it was not due to him wanting smaller government. It was linked directly to his standing firm against the integration of schools and colleges in the state of Alabama. Our memories are the same, as are our politics, to anyone that it might concern.  We both remember this as being a place with a huge majority of citizens who opposed the integration of schools and who didn't want to use the same toilets as a black person.
I guess MR Ichi's memory, over on K street, must have been of some K street commune of a few blocks where racism wasn't allowed in Pensacola. I didn't know a commune like that  existed back then.  Wow, how refreshing to know it now.

As for "bragging" about  a black friend, I don't believe  that mentioning that I have a black friend is bragging.  It says a lot more of you that you seem to be disbelieving that white people can have black friends and mention them casually in a conversation without being bragging about it. It's no "badge of honor" to have a black friend, but neither will I stop and think about saying it in a conversation because I'm afraid of what You might think, Mrs Kravitz.  I don't care if my friends are black or white,  but the conversation about the restaurant would have made  no sense at all had I not mentioned what the "so called' problem with the waitresses duties was, would it?

It would have been completely illogical.

This is a conversation about racism,am I wrong?  That was a racist incident in a restaurant. Here in Pensacola and within the last few years. Your denials to the contrary,  we've come only a short way in the last 50 years. As the younger generation comes of age, this "problem" will go away.   I see very little racial animosity among the young people I know. Thank god- when this generation passes, I think things will be so much better for mankind. There are a lot of haters here in America,and in the South, and dying is the only thing that will cure them.
I disagree that we've come only a short way in the last 50 years.  You point that out yourself with another line.  "I see very little racial animosity among the young people I know.

I think you and I are about the same age.  I distinctly remember when we moved to Miami, from Chicago in 1954.  I remember separate rest rooms and separate water fountains in stores and shopping areas.  There was a doctors office in a tiny town near where we lived (way out in the country then) and he had separate waiting rooms.  Our schools were segregated, when books got to worn out for our school (new white school), they went to the old black school a few miles away.

Desegregation came in when I was a senior in high school.  Our school had about 1,500 students in 10th-12th grade.  When we became "integrated" we had four (4) black students in the 10th grade.

I never met a black person until I lived in Miami.  In Chicago my best friends were other kids like me, a Japanese kid and a Native American.  They lived in the same apartment building as did my family.  My mother and aunt returned to Chicago both with kids.  They couldn't find housing because they were women, with kids and no husband. That was temporary as both husbands were in WWII.  My grandfather bought two six flat apartment and everyone moved in.

All mandated by government.

Yes, we have come light years from those days.



Last edited by Markle on 9/17/2013, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum