Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can Russia really sink one of our carriers with this?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/12/russia-carrier-killer-ship-enters-mediterranean/?intcmp=HPBucket

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yes a carrier is just a platform for aircraft. It is completely full of fuel, bombs,planes and missiles. A well placed hit can cut it completely in two. There are a number of defenses and counter measures but the question was can it.. and the answer is undoubtedly yes.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Yes a carrier is just a platform for aircraft. It is completely full of fuel, bombs,planes and missiles. A well placed hit can cut it completely in two. There are a number of defenses and counter measures but the question was can it.. and the answer is undoubtedly yes.
Is it too late to trade presidents? We'll take Putin and Russia can have obama.

2seaoat

A small tactical nuke delivered by a hundred methods would neutralize a carrier group. The platform was powerful in World War 2 through the Gulf War, but the cruise missile technology and the advances in small tactical nuclear warheads make our carrier groups vulnerable. The Chinese in particular could neutralize our ability to carry out an offensive war. The Chinese have historically looked at military actions as defensive, but how would America convey the power of this nation without our carrier groups? We could lose our offensive capability short of nuclear response with as few as 10 well placed tactical nukes.

Jake92

1 Mark 48 torpedo will lift a carrier totally out of the water and break the keel.. They are NOT nuc and are very very accurate with enough range to sink anything within many miles and will catch any target that's in the water..

2seaoat

1 Mark 48 torpedo will lift a carrier totally out of the water and break the keel.. They are NOT nuc and are very very accurate with enough range to sink anything within many miles and will catch any target that's in the water..

I have been told since 1972 that our carrier groups are bullet proof as far as torpedo, but you have sub experience. Are our carrier groups a paper tiger vulnerable to torpedo? In the seventies they always told us that we could track the Soviet subs because of the noise, but over the last forty years that argument has changed, and now they are saying maybe not so.

Jake92

Nothing is bullet proof. The last I heard, we can still pick up other subs and ours are still very hard to pick up, but a very experienced sonar team could do it with sonar and other things IF they can realize what they are hearing.. An experienced sonar tech on a sub can pick up many things including the motor driving a tape in a walkman tape player or a worn tooth on a gear that turns the RPM indicator of the shaft of a ship.. The thing we need the most is the ability to filter out other sounds so we don't confuse a vaccum cleaner against a frame bay with an enemy submarine..

2seaoat

Nothing is bullet proof

I agree. I went to high school with a very smart guy who got qualified for subs. I later worked with his dad who told me how extensive the psychological testing was to make the grade for sub work. Is that still the case? I got the impression that folks who are lose cannons never get near sub service, and they only take the best who can handle the challenges and restrictions. I know at the time he said we could easily track the soviet subs, but this was thirty years ago.

Jake92

Just remember, we have advanced our technology as much or more than they have and we have never given anyone all of the info that we do know or the capabilities of what have.. I've talked with sailors that recently finished tours on shipe and yes, they (our own navy) can find us, but every one of them said the ONLY way they could is if we let them or we make a mistake enough times that they can pick it up and figure out what it is and where it's coming from.. A very big part of it is knowing the sound signatures of other ships and picking up new ones from 5 HP outboards in Pensacola Bay to the newest combat ship in the Chinese or any other navy..

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I read this book last year, Jake, and it kept me glued to my Kindle for PC software:

Can Russia really sink one of our carriers with this? 9780061992544_Outside_Front_Cover.225x225-75

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum