Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

im in love with these shoes/juke boxes/antiques/pin balls and generally anything cool thread

+5
Nekochan
Hospital Bob
PBulldog2
Markle
Joanimaroni
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

The Jook House
While scholars may not know the exact etymology of the term "juke," what is known is that the term "jukebox" comes directly from the early 1900s establishments known as jukehouses or jookhouses. A jukehouse was simply a place where people listened to music and drank the night away, dancing with friends, and the term jukebox is in reference to the record player that would have been a staple in these places.

The West Africa Theory
The Gullah dialect refers to that spoken by African Americans and Creoles that inhabit the area from South Carolina, through Georgia, and into the northern areas of Florida. The Gullah word "juk" has a number of possible meanings, and derivatives of the word mean everything from disorderly to wicked and violent. It is clear to see how this term could be applied to jukehouses, as they were usually not considered to be the most reputable of establishments, and wild parties and drinking were common.

The European Hypothesis
There are a few possible places the term juke could have originated from within Europe. The French term meaning "to play" is jouer, and that could easily fit with jukebox meaning "play box"; however, there are no other iterations of jouer being turned into something similar to juke. Scotland has a few possible words. The most notable is "jouk," which means a place to take shelter. This also is plausible in reference to the jukehouses. However, the jukehouses were primarily African American establishments, which makes a Scottish connection seem almost impossible.

Other Ideas
Some scholars will also argue for a Caribbean connection, especially to Haiti and Jamaica. Haiti was initially colonized by the French, which brings the term jouer back to the table and accounts for the African American uses, but the link between jouer and juke is still a loose association. Jamaica also has a term "juk" that means to poke, which could be a reference to the needle on a record player. While the connotation makes sense, there is little supporting evidence to link the Jamaicans to the Gullah Creoles, who likely coined the term jukebox.

The Scholarly Consensus
While most of the ideas are still being debated, the Gullah origins seem to be the most commonly accepted of the given etymologies for jukebox. Many dictionaries, including Merriam-Webster, immediately reference the Gullah jukehouses and refer to them as brothels. Likely the term jukebox then has a less savory origin than the happier thoughts it brings up today. Though we will likely never know with certainty, the Western African roots seem to have the most support amongst scholars and in the evidence.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_5347722_did-name-jukebox-come.html#ixzz2ePNPzYd5

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A little aside to Sheriff Bill Davis

Several years ago after he passed away, his family had an estate sale on his property on Pine Forest Road.

There was a building off to the side of his house which was his personal getaway and office.
When I entered that building I was kinda shocked. Because the family had actually left the thing pretty much intact and had a lot of his personal belongings still in there and all of it was for sale.

Hanging on the wall above the desk was this thing. I think I paid a dollar for it.

im in love with these shoes/juke boxes/antiques/pin balls and generally anything cool thread - Page 4 Davis12

Nekochan

Nekochan

Davis was a character and there were scandals whirling around him. But his family/daughters were good people from what I knew about them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:Davis was a character and there were scandals whirling around him.  

In 1970, Davis was removed from office by Governor Reubin Askew after being indicted by multiple grand jury. He was charged, among other things, with breaking and entering the home of Deputy Michael C. Iannone, allegedly to carry on an affair with his wife Karen. She testified that she and Davis had been having an affair for the previous five years, beginning when she was 16.

Davis was acquitted of the charges, but was not reinstated by the Florida Senate. In February 1974 the Senate upheld his suspension, finding him guilty of malfeasance, neglect of duty and incompetence in office.

lol

http://www.pensapedia.com/wiki/Bill_Davis

p.s. Mike Iannone was a local disk jockey who later became a deputy sheriff.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Especially for Chrissy.

Back before the jukebox came along, Mills (the slot machine company) made a really unique coin-operated machine to play music.
It was called the Violano Virtuoso.

It had both a piano and an actual violin inside it and both played automatically.
Check it out.

Really enjoying this. Well... ever since it got past shoes.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:Really enjoying this. Well... ever since it got past shoes

im in love with these shoes/juke boxes/antiques/pin balls and generally anything cool thread - Page 4 Ss_101361499The Best Tennis Shoes

Extra Links:

• Find Your Footing: The Best Running Shoes
  • Happy Feet: The Healthy, Pain-Free Foot-Care Guide
  • Buy sneakers from the FITNESS Store

Nekochan

Nekochan

PkrBum wrote:Really enjoying this. Well... ever since it got past shoes.
LOL.
I'm enjoying it too. Great thread.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
im in love with these shoes/juke boxes/antiques/pin balls and generally anything cool thread - Page 4 Ss_101361499The Best Tennis Shoes

Extra Links:

• Find Your Footing: The Best Running Shoes
  • Happy Feet: The Healthy, Pain-Free Foot-Care Guide
  • Buy sneakers from the FITNESS Store

[/quote]

These are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever owned ...

im in love with these shoes/juke boxes/antiques/pin balls and generally anything cool thread - Page 4 T3b0n_10

Bob wrote:Especially for Chrissy.

Back  before the jukebox came along,   Mills (the slot machine company) made a really unique coin-operated machine to play music.
It was called the Violano Virtuoso.

It had both a piano and an actual violin inside it and both played automatically.
Check it out.

That very cool.

You know when I got home from work I figured id sit on the couch and watch some tv. I never do this. Whats on tv when I turn it on. Youre not going to believe it. some cooking show called bubba Q. And you know what he was doing? He was building a bbq grill/fridge out of a old juke box just like one of those you showed us. It pissed me off because they were tearing the guts out of it to do this. so I turned the channel, and you aint gonna believe this! whats next is little house on the prairie and theres a guy on there trying to sell little joe a Thomas Edison recorder. I could not believe this.

Bob, that was weird.......................................Suspect 

and prk, its ok. at least we are conversating. us womens like shoes. tongue We like this other stuff too.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I posted shoes for Pkb.

Thanks for the title change Chrissy.

Joanimaroni wrote:I posted shoes for Pkb.

Thanks for the title change Chrissy.
LOL I saw that. I laughed. Very Happy 

I seen your request and didn't have much time but felt it was a good idea. YVW Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum