This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Local deputies in trouble again

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Local deputies in trouble again on 7/28/2013, 4:04 pm

Guest


Guest
http://www.pnj.com/article/20130728/NEWS11/307280027/Deputies-shoot-at-man-in-his-yard

Deputies shoot man in his front yard
He was getting cigarette out of his mother's car


Lying in a hospital bed the night after he was shot by Escambia County sheriff’s deputies in his own front yard, Roy Middleton only had one question: Why?

Middleton, 60, of the 200 block of Shadow Lawn Lane in Warrington, was shot in the leg about 2:42 a.m. Saturday while trying to retrieve a cigarette from his mother’s car in the driveway of their home.

A neighbor saw someone reaching into the car and called 911. While he was looking into the vehicle, deputies arrived in response to the burglary call.

Middleton said he was bent over in the car searching the interior for a loose cigarette when he heard a voice order him to, “Get your hands where I can see them.”

He said he initially thought it was a neighbor joking with him, but when he turned his head he saw deputies standing halfway down his driveway.

He said he backed out of the vehicle with his hands raised, but when he turned to face the deputies, they immediately opened fire.

“It was like a firing squad,” he said. “Bullets were flying everywhere.”

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office declined to comment on the incident Saturday.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating, as is standard in deputy-involved shootings. The deputies, who have not been publicly identified, have been placed on paid administrative leave.

In Baptist Hospital and groggy on Saturday, Middleton said he would be in recovery for several weeks. His wounds are not life-threatening.

“I’m just glad they didn’t hit me here or here,” he said, pointing toward his head and chest. “My mother’s car is full of bullet holes though. My wife had to go and get a rental.”

The neighborhood where Middleton lives was quiet Saturday afternoon, and there was no evidence the shooting had even occurred. However, neighbors said only a few hours earlier the area had been congested with law enforcement vehicles and yellow crime scene tape.

Several neighbors said they heard the commotion, but weren’t entirely sure why events unfolded the way they did. A teenage girl who said she witnessed a portion of the incident said she never saw Middleton provoke the deputies.

“He wasn’t belligerent or anything,“ she said.

Middleton, too, said he doesn’t understand how or why the incident escalated so quickly. He also said deputies never offered him an explanation or an apology.

“Even if they thought the car was stolen, all they had to do was run the license plate,” he said. “They would have seen that that car belonged there.”
--------------

Guess we taxpayers can expect another lawsuit. Lucky us.

2 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 7/28/2013, 4:06 pm

I read that.....excessive?

View user profile

3 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 7/31/2013, 10:38 am

Guest


Guest
Joanimaroni wrote:I read that.....excessive?

       The only fact that needs to be established is whether the deputies had justification to use deadly force...FDLE will investigate to learn that fact alone...The number of rounds may be of a concern to some but has nothing to do with the fact that will be learned...If as stated...the individual did not comply with orders...went back into the vehicle and came back out with a 'metallic' object in his hand will go a long way to determine the outcome....Have read where some 'experts' post here and elsewhere that the deputies should have 'checked out' what the object was or may have been...well in that bit of hesitation it may be too late for officer safety...

4 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 7/31/2013, 10:43 am

newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I read that.....excessive?

       The only fact that needs to be established is whether the deputies had justification to use deadly force...FDLE will investigate to learn that fact alone...The number of rounds may be of a concern to some but has nothing to do with the fact that will be learned...If as stated...the individual did not comply with orders...went back into the vehicle and came back out with a 'metallic' object in his hand will go a long way to determine the outcome....Have read where some 'experts' post here and elsewhere that the deputies should have 'checked out' what the object was or may have been...well in that bit of hesitation it may be too late for officer safety...

I disagree with the fact the officers did not pull up to the house in squad cars...they sneaked up on him.

View user profile

5 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 7/31/2013, 10:59 am

Guest


Guest
Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I read that.....excessive?

       The only fact that needs to be established is whether the deputies had justification to use deadly force...FDLE will investigate to learn that fact alone...The number of rounds may be of a concern to some but has nothing to do with the fact that will be learned...If as stated...the individual did not comply with orders...went back into the vehicle and came back out with a 'metallic' object in his hand will go a long way to determine the outcome....Have read where some 'experts' post here and elsewhere that the deputies should have 'checked out' what the object was or may have been...well in that bit of hesitation it may be too late for officer safety...

I disagree with the fact the officers did not pull up to the house in squad cars...they sneaked up on him.

        They were dispatched to the scene of a crime in progress....how should they arrive at the scene?....in order to understand this the training would have to be explained and responding in a tactical manner is not a problem...Once again it all boils down to whether there was justification for the actions taken in this situation...

6 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 7/31/2013, 11:07 am

newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I read that.....excessive?

       The only fact that needs to be established is whether the deputies had justification to use deadly force...FDLE will investigate to learn that fact alone...The number of rounds may be of a concern to some but has nothing to do with the fact that will be learned...If as stated...the individual did not comply with orders...went back into the vehicle and came back out with a 'metallic' object in his hand will go a long way to determine the outcome....Have read where some 'experts' post here and elsewhere that the deputies should have 'checked out' what the object was or may have been...well in that bit of hesitation it may be too late for officer safety...

I disagree with the fact the officers did not pull up to the house in squad cars...they sneaked up on him.

        They were dispatched to the scene of a crime in progress....how should they arrive at the scene?....in order to understand this the training would have to be explained and responding in a tactical manner is not a problem...Once again it all boils down to whether there was justification for the actions taken in this situation...

They parked several houses away and entered on foot.

View user profile

7 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 7/31/2013, 11:11 am

Guest


Guest
Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I read that.....excessive?

       The only fact that needs to be established is whether the deputies had justification to use deadly force...FDLE will investigate to learn that fact alone...The number of rounds may be of a concern to some but has nothing to do with the fact that will be learned...If as stated...the individual did not comply with orders...went back into the vehicle and came back out with a 'metallic' object in his hand will go a long way to determine the outcome....Have read where some 'experts' post here and elsewhere that the deputies should have 'checked out' what the object was or may have been...well in that bit of hesitation it may be too late for officer safety...

I disagree with the fact the officers did not pull up to the house in squad cars...they sneaked up on him.

        They were dispatched to the scene of a crime in progress....how should they arrive at the scene?....in order to understand this the training would have to be explained and responding in a tactical manner is not a problem...Once again it all boils down to whether there was justification for the actions taken in this situation...

They parked several houses away and entered on foot.

     That's not an unusual approach...officers approach in the safest manner possible...it was an in process call according to the witness/911 call...again this is tactical/officer safety training...it may play on tv for a dramatic effect but there was nothing wrong in their arrival tactic...

8 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 7/31/2013, 12:15 pm

newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I read that.....excessive?

       The only fact that needs to be established is whether the deputies had justification to use deadly force...FDLE will investigate to learn that fact alone...The number of rounds may be of a concern to some but has nothing to do with the fact that will be learned...If as stated...the individual did not comply with orders...went back into the vehicle and came back out with a 'metallic' object in his hand will go a long way to determine the outcome....Have read where some 'experts' post here and elsewhere that the deputies should have 'checked out' what the object was or may have been...well in that bit of hesitation it may be too late for officer safety...

I disagree with the fact the officers did not pull up to the house in squad cars...they sneaked up on him.

        They were dispatched to the scene of a crime in progress....how should they arrive at the scene?....in order to understand this the training would have to be explained and responding in a tactical manner is not a problem...Once again it all boils down to whether there was justification for the actions taken in this situation...

They parked several houses away and entered on foot.

     That's not an unusual approach...officers approach in the safest manner possible...it was an in process call according to the witness/911 call...again this is tactical/officer safety training...it may play on tv for a dramatic effect but there was nothing wrong in their arrival tactic...

But the resident is saying he thought it was his neighbor playing a joke on him. I understand the tactic of trying to catch a criminal in the act...but in this situation that wasn't the case.

It's a tough call...with so many car burglaries, car-jackings, and an area plagued with crime...

View user profile

9 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 7/31/2013, 1:41 pm

Guest


Guest
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I read that.....excessive?

       The only fact that needs to be established is whether the deputies had justification to use deadly force...FDLE will investigate to learn that fact alone...The number of rounds may be of a concern to some but has nothing to do with the fact that will be learned...If as stated...the individual did not comply with orders...went back into the vehicle and came back out with a 'metallic' object in his hand will go a long way to determine the outcome....Have read where some 'experts' post here and elsewhere that the deputies should have 'checked out' what the object was or may have been...well in that bit of hesitation it may be too late for officer safety...

I disagree with the fact the officers did not pull up to the house in squad cars...they sneaked up on him.

        They were dispatched to the scene of a crime in progress....how should they arrive at the scene?....in order to understand this the training would have to be explained and responding in a tactical manner is not a problem...Once again it all boils down to whether there was justification for the actions taken in this situation...


Deputies jumped the gun here. Prob rush up on him & scared him shitless.

You mean alleged crime in progress. I hope the victim gets millions & Morgan loses next election.

10 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 8/1/2013, 6:31 am

Guest


Guest
BP wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I read that.....excessive?

       The only fact that needs to be established is whether the deputies had justification to use deadly force...FDLE will investigate to learn that fact alone...The number of rounds may be of a concern to some but has nothing to do with the fact that will be learned...If as stated...the individual did not comply with orders...went back into the vehicle and came back out with a 'metallic' object in his hand will go a long way to determine the outcome....Have read where some 'experts' post here and elsewhere that the deputies should have 'checked out' what the object was or may have been...well in that bit of hesitation it may be too late for officer safety...

I disagree with the fact the officers did not pull up to the house in squad cars...they sneaked up on him.

        They were dispatched to the scene of a crime in progress....how should they arrive at the scene?....in order to understand this the training would have to be explained and responding in a tactical manner is not a problem...Once again it all boils down to whether there was justification for the actions taken in this situation...


Deputies jumped the gun here. Prob rush up on him & scared him shitless.

You mean alleged crime in progress. I hope the victim gets millions & Morgan loses next election.

     LEO's can only go by what the information is given and they respond accordingly...in this case it was a witness describing the actions of an individual in the vehicle...

11 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 8/1/2013, 7:13 am

Guest


Guest
LEO's can only go by what the information is given and they respond accordingly...in this case it was a witness describing the actions of an individual in the vehicle...


Had they drove their vehicles up, Shined the spotlight instead of sneaking up behind the guy on foot, Things would of turned out differently. The thug mentality some deputies demonstrate, lucky more arent shot or killed.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130801/NEWS01/308010010/Prominent-firm-takes-on-Middleton-case

snip

Prominent firm takes on Middleton case
Attorney says man's shooting was unjustified

“When you have a man in his home, minding his own business, unarmed ... and you have two officers who shot their firearms and a third officer who did not because he did not perceive a threat to himself, it is clear in my opinion that these officers were completely unjustified,” Williams said."

12 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 8/1/2013, 7:20 am

Guest


Guest
BP wrote: LEO's can only go by what the information is given and they respond accordingly...in this case it was a witness describing the actions of an individual in the vehicle...


Had they drove their vehicles up, Shined the spotlight instead of sneaking up behind the guy on foot, Things would of turned out differently. The thug mentality some deputies demonstrate, lucky more arent shot or killed.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130801/NEWS01/308010010/Prominent-firm-takes-on-Middleton-case

snip

Prominent firm takes on Middleton case
Attorney says man's shooting was unjustified

“When you have a man in his home, minding his own business, unarmed ... and you have two officers who shot their firearms and a third officer who did not because he did not perceive a threat to himself, it is clear in my opinion that these officers were completely unjustified,” Williams said."

     "thug mentality of some deputies"...pretty much explains your ignorance of the situations that officers encounter on a regular basis...before you go totally wack...not defending--that is why FDLE is investigating but their approach was certainly not "thug mentality"...Mr Williams is an idiot!...Just because the third officer did not fire has nothing to do as to whether the first two officers were justified in doing so...Of course he's going to say it was unjustified it's HIS client and there's $$$ to be made...

13 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 8/1/2013, 8:54 am

Guest


Guest
"thug mentality of some deputies"...pretty much explains your ignorance of the situations that officers encounter on a regular basis...before you go totally wack...not defending--that is why FDLE is investigating but their approach was certainly not "thug mentality"


You live in Pensacola? I've seen plenty of LEO thug mentality over the years. When Ron McNesby was a deputy, He was a thug. He beat the crap out of many citizens who deserved not to get beat up. His nickname in his early law enforcement years, "McNasty".

A friend called me Tuesday wanting Animal Control emergency after hours phone #. She was out walking her dog & three huge mutts ran out from a backyard & almost attacked her. Another neighbor scared em off spraying a fire extinguisher.

I told her to call 911. I zoomed over to her house & it took ECSO deputies twenty mins to respond to a dangerous dog call.

Two deputies show up in one car. They check that backyard, no dogs. I ask them to drive over to the next street behind that backyard & check & one deputy says, "we dont have the time, we have other calls to respond too".

Man, I was pissed off. Little kids on this street and old people And dumbass deputy has a flippant shitless attitude. Friend held me back as I wanted to tell him off good. Then they prob would of tasered or shot me I suppose because I had a shiny metal (flashlight) in my hand Sad 

This is the kind of leadership David Morgan has brought us.

14 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 8/1/2013, 9:38 am

Guest


Guest
BP wrote: "thug mentality of some deputies"...pretty much explains your ignorance of the situations that officers encounter on a regular basis...before you go totally wack...not defending--that is why FDLE is investigating but their approach was certainly not "thug mentality"


You live in Pensacola? I've seen plenty of LEO thug mentality over the years. When Ron McNesby was a deputy, He was a thug. He beat the crap out of many citizens who deserved not to get beat up. His nickname in his early law enforcement years, "McNasty".

A friend called me Tuesday wanting Animal Control emergency after hours phone #. She was out walking her dog & three huge mutts ran out from a backyard & almost attacked her. Another neighbor scared em off spraying a fire extinguisher.

I told her to call 911. I zoomed over to her house & it took ECSO deputies twenty mins to respond to a dangerous dog call.

Two deputies show up in one car. They check that backyard, no dogs. I ask them to drive over to the next street behind that backyard & check & one deputy says, "we dont have the time, we have other calls to respond too".

Man, I was pissed off. Little kids on this street and old people And dumbass deputy has a flippant shitless attitude. Friend held me back as I wanted to tell him off good. Then they prob would of tasered or shot me I suppose because I had a shiny metal (flashlight) in my hand Sad 

This is the kind of leadership David Morgan has brought us.

     Don't get me confused with someone that supports Morgan!...Makes me wonder though about how a friend had to hold you back...sometimes those that have to be restrained really should be allowed to go forward and express their opinions..Two things held you back from telling off that 'dumbass' deputy...fear and atmosphere....Will agree though getting animal control to come out is next to impossible and they will also tell you they are too busy...

15 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 8/3/2013, 2:33 pm

Guest


Guest
BP wrote: LEO's can only go by what the information is given and they respond accordingly...in this case it was a witness describing the actions of an individual in the vehicle...


Had they drove their vehicles up, Shined the spotlight instead of sneaking up behind the guy on foot, Things would of turned out differently. The thug mentality some deputies demonstrate, lucky more arent shot or killed.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130801/NEWS01/308010010/Prominent-firm-takes-on-Middleton-case

snip

Prominent firm takes on Middleton case
Attorney says man's shooting was unjustified

“When you have a man in his home, minding his own business, unarmed ... and you have two officers who shot their firearms and a third officer who did not because he did not perceive a threat to himself, it is clear in my opinion that these officers were completely unjustified,” Williams said."

You can bet they all got together to write up their statements pointing in one direction though. My ex wife to be is a cop. I know their tactics. For them to be sneaking up on a guy like this is total crap.

16 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 8/5/2013, 5:56 am

Guest


Guest
PACEDOG#1 wrote:
BP wrote: LEO's can only go by what the information is given and they respond accordingly...in this case it was a witness describing the actions of an individual in the vehicle...


Had they drove their vehicles up, Shined the spotlight instead of sneaking up behind the guy on foot, Things would of turned out differently. The thug mentality some deputies demonstrate, lucky more arent shot or killed.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130801/NEWS01/308010010/Prominent-firm-takes-on-Middleton-case

snip

Prominent firm takes on Middleton case
Attorney says man's shooting was unjustified

“When you have a man in his home, minding his own business, unarmed ... and you have two officers who shot their firearms and a third officer who did not because he did not perceive a threat to himself, it is clear in my opinion that these officers were completely unjustified,” Williams said."

You can bet they all got together to write up their statements pointing in one direction though. My ex wife to be is a cop. I know their tactics. For them to be sneaking up on a guy like this is total crap.

     'Total Crap'?...So using cover and/or concealment tactics aren't allowed?...In what rulebook does it state that law enforcement are not allowed to 'sneak' up on a suspect?...This is not in defense or support of whether the shooting was justified that's up to FDLE...But if the world were judged by ex's....This will be interesting ruling because surprisingly the sheriff has already come out and defended the deputies...which is way out of character for him...

17 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 9/6/2013, 8:21 pm

Guest


Guest
No, as in when dmething goes down and it isn't by the book, they are gonnaie and cover their collective asses.

18 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 9/6/2013, 8:22 pm

Guest


Guest
No as in when something goes down not exactly kosher they are gonna lie and cover each olthers collective asses

19 Re: Local deputies in trouble again on 9/6/2013, 8:23 pm

Guest


Guest
Sheriff has to defend them or he burns as well

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum