Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Police murder wrong man...no apology from police..you have a gun they are going to shoot you.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=40204

Lake
County, Florida sheriff's deputies who failed to identify themselves
when knocking on a man's door at 1:30AM at night immediately shot and
killed the homeowner after he allegedly opened his door with a gun in
hand.

The man who was murdered, 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott, was described by neighbors as a good person and "very nice guy."

The deputies realized later they got the wrong house, but for good
measure they searched the man's apartment and found drugs, which
apparently justifies their murdering him randomly.

The police are entirely unapologetic. Lt. John Herrell said of the incident, "The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot."

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=40204

Lake
County, Florida sheriff's deputies who failed to identify themselves
when knocking on a man's door at 1:30AM at night immediately shot and
killed the homeowner after he allegedly opened his door with a gun in
hand.

The man who was murdered, 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott, was described by neighbors as a good person and "very nice guy."

The deputies realized later they got the wrong house, but for good
measure they searched the man's apartment and found drugs, which
apparently justifies their murdering him randomly.

The police are entirely unapologetic. Lt. John Herrell said of the incident, "The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot."

Glad that the officers involved all went home safely...to avoid being shot--don't point a gun at officers...

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

They knocked on his door at 1:30 am and failed to identify themselves? And you think it's okay that they shot the homeowner? You're crazy.

Floridatexan wrote:
They knocked on his door at 1:30 am and failed to identify themselves? And you think it's okay that they shot the homeowner? You're crazy.

I hope his family sues them.Inexcusable!

Floridatexan wrote:
When you point a gun at law enforcement officers (if this is a correct account) the home owner is no longer innocent at that point officer's have the right for self defense...That's not 'crazy'...Officers have a statutorial right granted to them to perform their duties and unfortunately mistakes are made and they are responsible for those actions, damages etc....but when the situation becomes life threatening actions HAVE to be taken immediately...Realizing that it would be you and 'nightmare' that would comment foolishly is the reason for the explanation try and comprehend...

Newsfan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
When you point a gun at law enforcement officers (if this is a correct account) the home owner is no longer innocent at that point officer's have the right for self defense...That's not 'crazy'...Officers have a statutorial right granted to them to perform their duties and unfortunately mistakes are made and they are responsible for those actions, damages etc....but when the situation becomes life threatening actions HAVE to be taken immediately...Realizing that it would be you and 'nightmare' that would comment foolishly is the reason for the explanation try and comprehend...

It is NOT okay to knock on someone's door at 1:30 am and NOT identify oneself. This is not an "unfortunate mistake". I hope the cops get crucified.

Sal

Sal

Newsfan wrote:When you point a gun at law enforcement officers (if this is a correct account) the home owner is no longer innocent at that point officer's have the right for self defense...That's not 'crazy'...Officers have a statutorial right granted to them to perform their duties and unfortunately mistakes are made and they are responsible for those actions, damages etc....but when the situation becomes life threatening actions HAVE to be taken immediately...Realizing that it would be you and 'nightmare' that would comment foolishly is the reason for the explanation try and comprehend...

Whoa... So, to be safe, homeowners should answer a knock on their door at any hour of the day or night by dropping immediately to their knees and putting their hands behind their heads just in case it's LEO.
Far out.

I'm guessing that shirt you're wearing is brown. Amarite?

I liked the story about the old man that opened the door to three (or so) young men and was immediately hit in the head by a baseball bat. Behind the door, his other hand had a pistol. It seems to me he killed one and emptied the gun at the others that were running for their lives... Razz

It was about a year or so ago.

Okay, I didn't get the details right... here's the story

Last edited by Yomama on 7/17/2012, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Does anyone ever go to the door regardless of hour it may be and while the door is still locked and bolted, ask "who is it?" I know I don't. Did the victim just willy-nilly open the door and point a gun at the officers? We don't know all the circumstances of this incident.

no stress

no stress

At that time in the morning the door does not come open without knowing exactly who is behind it. The cops are negligent in this case.

Gunz wrote:At that time in the morning the door does not come open without knowing exactly who is behind it. The cops are negligent in this case.

I agree with you GUNZ that the cops were negligent, but the negligence does not lie solely at the feet of the police. The victim also bears some responsibility in his own death.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yes the victim lived at the wrong house...it was all his responsibility...the cops don't have to check that they are at the right place any door will do.

no stress

no stress

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Gunz wrote:At that time in the morning the door does not come open without knowing exactly who is behind it. The cops are negligent in this case.

I agree with you GUNZ that the cops were negligent, but the negligence does not lie solely at the feet of the police. The victim also bears some responsibility in his own death.

I'm assuming that at that time of the morning it wasnt uniformed patrolmen at the door. If it were plainclothes or Tac officers he would have no way of deciding friend or foe would he not?

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Yes the victim lived at the wrong house...it was all his responsibility...the cops don't have to check that they are at the right place any door will do.

They absolutely do when they are looking for a murder suspect.

Gunz wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

I'm assuming that at that time of the morning it wasnt uniformed patrolmen at the door. If it were plainclothes or Tac officers he would have no way of deciding friend or foe would he not?

He could have yelled through the door without opening it to determine who it was and then make sure you don't point the weapon at them.

Ghost: "He could have yelled through the door without opening it to determine who it was and then make sure you don't point the weapon at them."
--------------------------

Door chains work pretty good for that. You can open the door but still have some security.

I remember an episode of the MythBusters where they were able to break through lots of locks and deadbolts, but had trouble with a dinky chain.

no stress

no stress

no stress

no stress

A common practice of criminals doing home invasions nowdays is to impersonate cops to get people to open their doors. That leaves us in a pickle. Do we take what they are claiming at face value and open the door? Do we call the non emergency number to the cops to verufy their presence? I guess its just a judgement call on the part of the homeowner at that particular time.

Gunz, if I open the door to see who's on the other side of the chained opening, I'll be standing there to smash the shit out of that guy's fingers!!! lol!

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

And that was my point...law enforcement would have been held accountable for their 'error' and rightfully so for damages etc., but the bottom line is that when a weapon is aimed at police they have to react immediately...

I have a surveillance system set up with CCTV. I have cameras mounted at both entrances and around the perimeter of my house. I can see who is around my house as well as who is at the doors.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I have a surveillance system set up with CCTV. I have cameras mounted at both entrances and around the perimeter of my house. I can see who is around my house as well as who is at the doors.

That's a good idea, Ghost. Hmmm.

When I was a Health Inspector, I would knock on the front door and step WAY back, sometimes off the porch, to give people space to open their door without feeling intimidated.

I wish more people would do that.

Gunz wrote:A common practice of criminals doing home invasions nowdays is to impersonate cops to get people to open their doors. That leaves us in a pickle. Do we take what they are claiming at face value and open the door? Do we call the non emergency number to the cops to verufy their presence? I guess its just a judgement call on the part of the homeowner at that particular time.

If anyone knocked at my door in the middle of the night, I would come to the door pistol in-hand, yelling, "WHO'S THERE?!" in as aggressive a voice as I could muster. In this case -- particularly since law enforcement failed to announce themselves -- if the homeowner did ask who was there, did they or would they have answered honestly? I dunno... to me it seems like a pretty major issue to not announce yourself, and frankly it seems a little suspicious. It should be automatic: You knock, then announce. Right??

But yeah, Gunz, I'm sure you remember last year when that creep broke into my home in the middle of the night and I called the local police. The detective who worked on the case told me to always call to verify if someone came to my door claiming to be the police or a sheriff's deputy, and to just notify (yell out the door) to the officer (and hopefully it is an officer) that's what you're doing. In retrospect, I'm not sure if he told me that because I'm a single girl that lives alone or what, but I would do it anyways. Since then, I keep the local police and sheriff's dept (non-emergency) numbers as my #1 and #2 speed-dial.

Remember several years ago when there was the cop-impersonator who was pulling people over up near UWF? If I remember correctly, it was recommended at that time that if you were pulled over, you call to verify that it was an actual officer or deputy. That was pretty creepy.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Police murder wrong man...no apology from police..you have a gun they are going to shoot you. Rl6W2

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Police murder wrong man...no apology from police..you have a gun they are going to shoot you. Clever%2Bcriminal%252C%2Blol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum