Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Romney is Not the Problem

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Romney is Not the Problem Empty Romney is Not the Problem 7/16/2012, 11:18 am

Sal

Sal

With all the focus on Romney's tenure at Bain, and his tax returns, and the truly rotten nature of his candidacy, it's easy to lose focus of the bigger picture. And, the bigger picture is that it is not Romney who is the problem. It's the Republican Party. Any Republican candidate would have proposed a plan that made the rich richer and the poor poorer, that punished the have-nots and coddled the haves. Any Republican would have engaged in a war on Planned Parenthood and abortion rights and minority voting and immigrants. Hell, every Republican who was for even one week in contention this year was just as bad as Willard - Newt with his delusions of grandeur, Santorium with his perverted interest in everyone's sex life, Cain with his sleazy treatment of women, Bachmann and the Donald with their general insanity, Rick Perry hilarious simple-mindedness and odd response to prescription drugs. And all this is because being bat-chit crazy is, at this point, a requirement for making it to the top in the GOP. You have to have the same extreme plutocratic world view as the Koch brothers, and you have to have at least some obsessive fixation on a ridiculous social wedge issue, be it gay marriage, illegal immigrants, blacks having the audacity to vote Democratic, etc., etc., etc. It's the Republican Party, stupid. That's the problem.

2Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/16/2012, 10:10 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Good point. It is not just Romney but the beauty of the last line of the most recent Obama ad is that it is a play on Reagan's line about his idea of what the solution/problem was.
In the present case the problem, represented wonderfully by Mittens is large banks, the financial sector of the economy, Wall Street, all the commodity speculators etc. They have systematically lobbied for the passage of laws and regulations that left them pretty much free to make money by not producing anything or even providing a service to people in general.
They have purchased the government that is supposed to be the protector of the people and turned it in to a system that protects them from prosecution and leaves the rest of us holding the bag. The Republican Party is the political representative of these groups. That's the problem.

3Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/16/2012, 10:31 pm

othershoe1030 wrote:Good point. It is not just Romney but the beauty of the last line of the most recent Obama ad is that it is a play on Reagan's line about his idea of what the solution/problem was.
In the present case the problem, represented wonderfully by Mittens is large banks, the financial sector of the economy, Wall Street, all the commodity speculators etc. They have systematically lobbied for the passage of laws and regulations that left them pretty much free to make money by not producing anything or even providing a service to people in general.
They have purchased the government that is supposed to be the protector of the people and turned it in to a system that protects them from prosecution and leaves the rest of us holding the bag. The Republican Party is the political representative of these groups. That's the problem.

Kind of stupid to say the republican party is representative of these groups when Obama and the democrats have done the exact same thing. How many bankers has the Obama administration prosecuted? Why? Because Obama was bought and paid for.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/05/06/why-can-t-obama-bring-wall-street-to-justice.html

4Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/16/2012, 11:55 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Wall Street et al has its fingers in everyones business. But I really think the Democrats do more to protect the ordinary person than the Republicans do.
The Democrats have established the Consumer Protection Bureau and are behind a bill to force disclosure of all large campaign contributions.

5Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/17/2012, 9:01 am

othershoe1030 wrote:Wall Street et al has its fingers in everyones business. But I really think the Democrats do more to protect the ordinary person than the Republicans do.
The Democrats have established the Consumer Protection Bureau and are behind a bill to force disclosure of all large campaign contributions.

Here's a thought. What if campaign contributions were run like sort of like a blind trust? People would contribute because they like the candidate or party... not because he would expect a "favor" in the future.

Too idealistic, I know. But, dammit! With politicians doing so much back scratching you would wonder if they were bonobos.

6Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/17/2012, 11:27 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:

Here's a thought. What if campaign contributions were run like sort of like a blind trust? People would contribute because they like the candidate or party... not because he would expect a "favor" in the future.

Too idealistic, I know. But, dammit! With politicians doing so much back scratching you would wonder if they were bonobos.
They're trying to buy influence with the contributions. If the politician doesn't know it's them trying to buy the influence, then they know there can't be any influence so there would be no point in making the contributions.

7Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/17/2012, 11:54 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Well, that's interesting but if the contributions were "blind" then the public wouldn't know who was contributing either. Would that work?I mean the billionaire could still influence the campaign and help get his/her candidate elected. In most cases they are going to give to the person who supports his best interest. What's to keep them from casually mentioning over cocktails that he donated a certain amount?

8Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/17/2012, 12:37 pm

othershoe1030 wrote:Wall Street et al has its fingers in everyones business. But I really think the Democrats do more to protect the ordinary person than the Republicans do.

I remember candidate Obama in 2008 said he would use public funds for his campaign then when all the money began to flash in front of his eyes he took it, the only reason the democrats are so hot and heavy on campaign finance reform now is Romney is raising an ungodly amount of money. Neither side is serious about campaign finance reform

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-10-18/opinion/zelizer.obama.finance_1_campaign-reform-campaign-finance-president-obama?_s=PM:OPINION

9Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/17/2012, 4:22 pm

Romney will be the problem if he is elected. Nobody in Washington DC Is capable of doing what is best for America. That includes Obama too.

10Romney is Not the Problem Empty Re: Romney is Not the Problem 7/18/2012, 12:43 pm

polecat

polecat

I'm so old I can remember when John Kerry was a 'no good for America' elitist because he chose wind surfing over brush clearing for entertainment. something must have changed because Now the guy driving a speedboat as big as my house is just what America needs. ....oh wait, I've received the official Republican explanation: "shut up, that's why

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum