Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

1 out of every 7 taxi drivers is a college graduate.

+2
Nekochan
gulfbeachbandit
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

http://economy.money.cnn.com/2013/01/28/overeducated-and-underemployed/?source=cnn_bin

My pizza delivery guy has a masters degree.

Only in the Obama economy...

1 out of every 7 taxi drivers is a college graduate. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQd8qacQGt4X7zA2Mj3HJDaZcvADcqmQhNsZsj3ga_1t-uYSZvYOg

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eih67rlGNhU

Smile

Ghandi wrote:http://economy.money.cnn.com/2013/01/28/overeducated-and-underemployed/?source=cnn_bin

They make sure the undocumented worker doesn't deliver to Ghandi's place.

Out of curiosity, is his degree in Philosophy?

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Only in the Obama economy...

That is actually not true, PD. Many friends of mine with Bachelors and Masters degrees during the George H.W. Bush administration were grossly underemployed. Most of them had to take jobs at a "call center" at barely above minimum wage and others found whatever work they could find -- also minimum wage or barely above -- just to make ends meet, some of whom had families and had to work two jobs in order to support themselves.

Ghandi wrote:http://economy.money.cnn.com/2013/01/28/overeducated-and-underemployed/?source=cnn_bin

I hope you tip him well, g. :]

Yomama wrote:

It's funny... that was my first thought as well. I've a handful of friends with degrees in Philosophy and most of them have had a difficult time finding work in their field of choice. My old Production Manager at one of the wind manufacturing businesses I worked for in the past has a dual degree in Philosophy and Psychology and a Masters in Mechanical Engineering. VERY interesting guy!

1 out of every 7 taxi drivers is a college graduate.

The other 6 are retired Navy chiefs.

Nekochan

Nekochan

riceme wrote:
Yomama wrote:

It's funny... that was my first thought as well. I've a handful of friends with degrees in Philosophy and most of them have had a difficult time finding work in their field of choice. My old Production Manager at one of the wind manufacturing businesses I worked for in the past has a dual degree in Philosophy and Psychology and a Masters in Mechanical Engineering. VERY interesting guy!

I bet he is an interesting guy!

My daughter attends a liberals arts college. My husband received his bachelor's degree from an engineering school. At hubby's school, there were some electives required but he delved right into science, math and engineering courses in his freshmen year. It was not the kind of course schedule where he took mostly English/History/Humanities courses for the first year or two. During her freshmen year, our daughter told us about some of her assignments/papers and hubby could not understand the point of a lot of it. Especially the part where we paid a lot of money for what he thought were pretty much useless courses. Suspect

It takes all kinds of different people with different talents to make this world interesting......but I bet your old Manager did not get his job because of his Philosophy and Psychology degrees?

Nekochan

Nekochan

hallmarkgrad wrote:1 out of every 7 taxi drivers is a college graduate.

The other 6 are retired Navy chiefs.

Wink

Nekochan wrote:
I bet he is an interesting guy!

My daughter attends a liberals arts college. My husband received his bachelor's degree from an engineering school. At hubby's school, there were some electives required but he delved right into science, math and engineering courses in his freshmen year. It was not the kind of course schedule where he took mostly English/History/Humanities courses for the first year or two. During her freshmen year, our daughter told us about some of her assignments/papers and hubby could not understand the point of a lot of it. Especially the part where we paid a lot of money for what he thought were pretty much useless courses. Suspect

It takes all kinds of different people with different talents to make this world interesting......but I bet your old Manager did not get his job because of his Philosophy and Psychology degrees?

I had to take a lot of courses that I thought were useless at the time, but have really come in handy later in life, so as the saying goes, "Hindsight is 20/20," or sumpin' like that :]. The courses I thought were totally useless and ridiculous, I submitted the paperwork to substitute for other -- usually higher-lever, some graduate-level -- courses. I've never regretted that, and many or most of them went toward my eventually earning two Minors, one in Geology, the other in Mathematics.

No, you are absolutely correct, my old Production Manager surely did not get his job because of his degrees in Philosophy and Psychology. However, he used his background in Psychology every single day in dealing with managing +/-500 people. Psych was one of my areas of study in my degree (other two were Mathematics and Geology), and I also learned a lot regarding insight into why people do some of the things they do in certain situations, reading people better and how to deal with certain personality-types, among other interesting things.

Were I to have the opportunity to do it all over again, I would pursue my passion and earn a degree in Mechanical Engineering. But, I'm happy with what I ended up with... it has served me pretty well.

Slicef18

Slicef18

I'm skeptical of the 1 out of every 7 taxi drivers is a college graduate. Where did these numbers come from? Many employers are not all that interested in what a degree is in. To many employers having a degree is simply an indicator of an applicant's ability to learn. Having a Masters Degree is more job specific and having a Doctorate / PHD is usually an indicator of a high area of interest, or ones resistance or fear of leaving the academic setting.

The Viking

The Viking

Slicef18 wrote:I'm skeptical of the 1 out of every 7 taxi drivers is a college graduate. Where did these numbers come from? Many employers are not all that interested in what a degree is in. To many employers having a degree is simply an indicator of an applicant's ability to learn. Having a Masters Degree is more job specific and having a Doctorate / PHD is usually an indicator of a high area of interest, or ones resistance or fear of leaving the academic setting.

Well spoken, sir...

I got my gig with General Electric as a Safety Manager with a political science degree. The only things I knew about safety back then was (A) how to spell OSHA & (B) getting hurt at work sucks for everyone involved. I'll be damned if it didn't turn into a very well-compensated career path...

The Viking wrote:
Well spoken, sir...

I got my gig with General Electric as a Safety Manager with a political science degree. The only things I knew about safety back then was (A) how to spell OSHA & (B) getting hurt at work sucks for everyone involved. I'll be damned if it didn't turn into a very well-compensated career path...

I agree that in most fields, most places don't care what your degree is in so long as you have one, these days. They're far more interested in your work experience and accomplishments for your past employers.

Margin Call

Margin Call

During the Bush years, everyone was at least an "associate"....poor kids with too many student loans.

Margin Call

Margin Call

The Viking wrote:
Slicef18 wrote:I'm skeptical of the 1 out of every 7 taxi drivers is a college graduate. Where did these numbers come from? Many employers are not all that interested in what a degree is in. To many employers having a degree is simply an indicator of an applicant's ability to learn. Having a Masters Degree is more job specific and having a Doctorate / PHD is usually an indicator of a high area of interest, or ones resistance or fear of leaving the academic setting.

Well spoken, sir...

Well done! Congrats!

FWIW...In my experience, most people have no idea how to write a good job description.

Margin Call wrote:

Well done! Congrats!

FWIW...In my experience, most people have no idea how to write a good job description.

I have never in all of my life had a job description that was worth a damn or described in even the teensiest of ways what my actual job was.

Jake92

I have a cousin with 9 engineering degrees who calls his wife stupid because she only has 7.. He says it in jest, just teasing.. She loves it.. He was the lead engineer on Seawolf submarines..

The Viking

The Viking

riceme wrote:
The Viking wrote:
Well spoken, sir...

I agree that in most fields, most places don't care what your degree is in so long as you have one, these days. They're far more interested in your work experience and accomplishments for your past employers.

The ONLY caveat I've experienced is expatriate work. Saudi Arabia refuses to issue an iqama (it's like a green card) to anyone without a bachelor's; depending on their job description in the kingdom.

riceme wrote:

That is actually not true, PD. Many friends of mine with Bachelors and Masters degrees during the George H.W. Bush administration were grossly underemployed. Most of them had to take jobs at a "call center" at barely above minimum wage and others found whatever work they could find -- also minimum wage or barely above -- just to make ends meet, some of whom had families and had to work two jobs in order to support themselves.

...well, are they better off now? Probably not. Hell, GHW Bush left office in 1993. That's 20 years ago. Lots of people are working two and three jobs. I've had two jobs or more since I started teaching over 20 years ago. My main reason is that I want to have more than just enough to get by and provide for my family. Now people cannot even FIND a job, much less be underemployed.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
riceme wrote:

...well, are they better off now? Probably not. Hell, GHW Bush left office in 1993. That's 20 years ago. Lots of people are working two and three jobs. I've had two jobs or more since I started teaching over 20 years ago. My main reason is that I want to have more than just enough to get by and provide for my family. Now people cannot even FIND a job, much less be underemployed.

Most of them are actually much better off now, but have been for some time now, and I couldn't even tell you what administration their situations improved in.

How did they improve over the last four years when most people's income declined 10% or more not counting inflation?

The KKKlinton years must have been good to them.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:How did they improve over the last four years when most people's income declined 10% or more not counting inflation?

The KKKlinton years must have been good to them.

Didn't say that any of their situations had improved over the past 4-years, but six of their situations that I can think of off the top of my head have improved in that time frame. Takes a lot of hard work and diligence, not to mention a helluva lot of good luck.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum