Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DOD’s 46,000 temporary workers may face firing

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/dod-s-46-000-temporary-workers-may-face-firing-1.205375?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+starsandstripes%2Fgeneral+%28Stars+and+Stripes%29

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The level of broke-ness of the government won't be truly felt until 8-10 years from now when Baby Boomers start receiving IOUs for their Social Security payments. I am an older Boomer and am under no illusions about this. The smoke-and-mirrors games and gimmicks will continue for the time being, however.

The pain felt from kicking the can down the road from Reagan forward is going to be unbearably and massively severe. There will be lots of finger-pointing, but both Republicans and Democrats are culpable; and neither of the candidates from last November are/were serious about deficit reduction.

There is going to be class-warfare between generations in a few years. The Millenials are going to fight against their Boomer parents over getting stuck with paying for the debt run up during their parents' lives. They will vote to reduce and curtail Boomer Social Security benefits and other entitlements to help stem the bleeding. Generation X will be caught in between, but will likely side with the Millenials. Boomers should be forewarned.

I think we will one day wish the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Deficit Control Act of 1985 had stopped it all in its tracks by 1986 or so. Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:This is just the tip of the iceberg. The level of broke-ness of the government won't be truly felt until 8-10 years from now when Baby Boomers start receiving IOUs for their Social Security payments. I am an older Boomer and am under no illusions about this. The smoke-and-mirrors games and gimmicks will continue for the time being, however.

The pain felt from kicking the can down the road from Reagan forward is going to be unbearably and massively severe. There will be lots of finger-pointing, but both Republicans and Democrats are culpable; and neither of the candidates from last November are/were serious about deficit reduction.

There is going to be class-warfare between generations in a few years. The Millenials are going to fight against their Boomer parents over getting stuck with paying for the debt run up during their parents' lives. They will vote to reduce and curtail Boomer Social Security benefits and other entitlements to help stem the bleeding. Generation X will be caught in between, but will likely side with the Millenials. Boomers should be forewarned.

I think we will one day wish the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Deficit Control Act of 1985 had stopped it all in its tracks by 1986 or so. Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda....

I am thinking that if I can get 50% of what social security is offering based upon my last statement, that will be realistic.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Maybe I should just go ahead and retire...I got a pretty good chunk coming from SS....get it while they got it..... Twisted Evil

Did a project once with my students showing WHY you should take SS as early as possible and used my own data from the SS folks as an example.

Even with the difference in amounts of money you make based on waiting longer, the person who takes SS at age 70 has to actually live to 84 to catch up with the person who took it at age 62.

I'm planning on working until 63. That will give me three and a half years to work my civilian job and draw my reserve retirment from the military concurrently.

At 63, that will put me at 35 years of service with the FRS and the final year of DROP that I can participate in unless I choose otherwise.

Hopefully with FRS, DROP money, mil retirement and whatever is coming to me in SS funds, I will be OK. The wife is a state employee as well. She and I will retire about the same time.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Did a project once with my students showing WHY you should take SS as early as possible and used my own data from the SS folks as an example.

Even with the difference in amounts of money you make based on waiting longer, the person who takes SS at age 70 has to actually live to 84 to catch up with the person who took it at age 62.

I'm planning on working until 63. That will give me three and a half years to work my civilian job and draw my reserve retirment from the military concurrently.

At 63, that will put me at 35 years of service with the FRS and the final year of DROP that I can participate in unless I choose otherwise.

Hopefully with FRS, DROP money, mil retirement and whatever is coming to me in SS funds, I will be OK. The wife is a state employee as well. She and I will retire about the same time.

Thanks for the info...Good luck. I think I may make my boss very unhappy soon.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yes, take your Social Security as soon as you can. Enjoy it while you can and while it lasts---and meanwhile, save as much as you can for retirement. And hope the government doesn't start taxing retirement funds at an outrageous rate.

How about this? I can take survivors benefits from my first husband when I turn 60 which is more than what I would draw from my own SS after working over 30 years. He died at age 27 and only paid in for 9 years but because he was a high earner back then, they compensate for what today's wages would have been. That's not right.

2seaoat

I have to make it to next January......doubtful, and my wife will not get a penny of my SS.....government pension......it could be worse....I could be a cub fan and never have seen the cubs win....I am a Sox fan.....a bear fan, and a Bull fan.......I have seen them all win....life is good.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:I have to make it to next January......doubtful, and my wife will not get a penny of my SS.....government pension......it could be worse....I could be a cub fan and never have seen the cubs win....I am a Sox fan.....a bear fan, and a Bull fan.......I have seen them all win....life is good.

You could get SSDI right now because of your terminal illness. RetiredLeo did it because of his colon cancer. Except, some posters here would call you a moocher for doing so.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Nekochan

Nekochan

It absolutely is not mooching!

2seaoat wrote:I have to make it to next January......doubtful, and my wife will not get a penny of my SS.....government pension......it could be worse....I could be a cub fan and never have seen the cubs win....I am a Sox fan.....a bear fan, and a Bull fan.......I have seen them all win....life is good.

Are you in pain, Seaoat?

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

You could get SSDI right now because of your terminal illness. RetiredLeo did it because of his colon cancer. Except, some posters here would call you a moocher for doing so.

Exactly who would say that someone is a moocher for collecting SSDI because they are terminally ill or has colon cancer?

2seaoat

One week before Steve Jobs passed he was talking to his board of directors and working. I will decline and be tired......I am now sleeping 15 hours a day. I have pain some days, but on a scale 1-10, my lung removal recovery would be an 8, and a kidney stone would be an 8, but what I have right now is 3-4 and nothing more at this junction. I am still earning too much money to qualify for disability, and I am only 1 year away from ss.......I would not change a thing right now.....I am a very lucky man, and I may make a couple years......at least that is what my wife thinks, although the recent increased sleeping is of concern, but I get my quarterly cat scans on Monday and my monthly shot. I am driving to Arizona for some goodbyes to family while I still can. I do not want to sound matter of fact, but we all have expiration dates....just because I have more information than most, you simply cannot stop living. Other than my eyes and a bit of difficulty getting up from a chair nobody would guess my situation. If you remember how thin Jobs got, well I have only lost about 8lbs, so I hope the shots keep doing their magic and give a bit more time.

"so I hope the shots keep doing their magic and give a bit more time".

We all do too buddy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum