Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Captain Timothy Dorsey

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Captain Timothy Dorsey Empty Captain Timothy Dorsey 1/14/2013, 9:49 pm

A View

I guess it's not who you know,it's who you are related to. This fellow should have been kicked out of the militarylong ago!

Last week we reported that Navy Captain Timothy Dorsey, who accidently shot down an Air Force plane during a war game 25 years ago, has been nominated to become a rear admiral.

Battleland’s original piece on the erroneous attack reported – from the Navy’s investigation into the snafu – that the two downed Air Force pilots suffered only “minor injuries.”

Apparently that wasn’t completely accurate.

The Norfolk Virginian-Pilot’s Bill Bartel tracked down one of the two Air Force aviators shot down, and wrote about him Wednesday:

The pilot Dorsey shot down, Air Force Lt. Col. Michael Ross, said his own military career was hampered due to the debilitating back injury he suffered in the crash and eventually cut short by a medical discharge just months before he qualified for a regular pension.

“It cost me a lot,” said Ross, who estimated he has undergone more than two dozen back surgeries in the years since the crash.

“I don’t go a day without thinking about the guy who did this.”

…the missile spun the jet in such a way that Ross was pressed against the canopy rather than the seat as he ejected.

He broke a wrist, dislocated both shoulders and suffered a compression fracture of his spine.

Ross continued in the Air Force, but the injuries hampered his career, he said, forcing him to leave for medical reasons in 1997, less than six months before completing 20 years of service. As a result, he said, he receives a medical pension that is much less than regular military retirement pay.

Ross and others who oppose Dorsey’s nomination contend that his career was saved in part because his father is Vice Adm. James Dorsey Jr., who was assistant deputy chief of naval operations at the time of the missile attack.

Timothy Dorsey said the allegation is not true, adding that his father, who retired in 1991, was long absent from the Navy for most of his career.

The Navy stopped flying the F-14 in 2006. The only nation still flying them is Iran. One crashed in Bushehr province, the site of Iran’s first nuclear power plant, less than a month ago, killing both pilots.

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2012/02/23/about-that-mistaken-shootdown-the-rest-of-the-story/#ixzz2I0KHr1bP

2Captain Timothy Dorsey Empty Re: Captain Timothy Dorsey 1/14/2013, 9:53 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yes, I posted something about this a week or so ago. My husband was active duty, on cruise at the time (different ship), and remembers it. The Navy had to rescue the AF crew.

They Navy pilot should have never been allowed to stay in the Navy and if he deliberately shot down the AF plane, he should be doing life in prison. It is unbelievable that he made Captain.

3Captain Timothy Dorsey Empty Re: Captain Timothy Dorsey 1/14/2013, 10:06 pm

Markle

Markle

Like a blank sheet of paper, my guess is that there are two sides to this story with the truth somewhere in between.

4Captain Timothy Dorsey Empty Re: Captain Timothy Dorsey 1/14/2013, 10:11 pm

Yella

Yella

A View wrote: I guess it's not who you know,it's who you are related to. This fellow should have been kicked out of the militarylong ago!

Last week we reported that Navy Captain Timothy Dorsey, who accidently shot down an Air Force plane during a war game 25 years ago, has been nominated to become a rear admiral.

Battleland’s original piece on the erroneous attack reported – from the Navy’s investigation into the snafu – that the two downed Air Force pilots suffered only “minor injuries.”

Apparently that wasn’t completely accurate.

The Norfolk Virginian-Pilot’s Bill Bartel tracked down one of the two Air Force aviators shot down, and wrote about him Wednesday:

The pilot Dorsey shot down, Air Force Lt. Col. Michael Ross, said his own military career was hampered due to the debilitating back injury he suffered in the crash and eventually cut short by a medical discharge just months before he qualified for a regular pension.

“It cost me a lot,” said Ross, who estimated he has undergone more than two dozen back surgeries in the years since the crash.

“I don’t go a day without thinking about the guy who did this.”

…the missile spun the jet in such a way that Ross was pressed against the canopy rather than the seat as he ejected.

He broke a wrist, dislocated both shoulders and suffered a compression fracture of his spine.

Ross continued in the Air Force, but the injuries hampered his career, he said, forcing him to leave for medical reasons in 1997, less than six months before completing 20 years of service. As a result, he said, he receives a medical pension that is much less than regular military retirement pay.

Ross and others who oppose Dorsey’s nomination contend that his career was saved in part because his father is Vice Adm. James Dorsey Jr., who was assistant deputy chief of naval operations at the time of the missile attack.

Timothy Dorsey said the allegation is not true, adding that his father, who retired in 1991, was long absent from the Navy for most of his career.

The Navy stopped flying the F-14 in 2006. The only nation still flying them is Iran. One crashed in Bushehr province, the site of Iran’s first nuclear power plant, less than a month ago, killing both pilots.

Read more: http://nation.time.com/2012/02/23/about-that-mistaken-shootdown-the-rest-of-the-story/#ixzz2I0KHr1bP

The Answer and Question Game:

Answer. He shot down twelve Messerschmitts.

Question. Why was Hans Streudel the most feared aviator in the Luftwaffe?

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

5Captain Timothy Dorsey Empty Re: Captain Timothy Dorsey 1/14/2013, 10:16 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Markle wrote:Like a blank sheet of paper, my guess is that there are two sides to this story with the truth somewhere in between.

I don't know, Markle. When I saw the story a week or so ago and asked my husband about it, he instantly remembered it. There really is no excuse for what happened, from what my husband said and remembers.

Today, there is almost a "zero mistake" policy in the Navy. Just look at all the COs who have been fired for mistakes and accidents in recent years. Even with this guy's daddy being an Admiral, I find it hard to believe that his Navy career would survive after such an incident in today's Navy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum