Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Here we go again. Hoover man shoots at firefighters

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

no stress

no stress

Hoover man charged with attempted murder after firing on firefighters called to his home, authorities said

By Carol Robinson | crobinson@al.com
on December 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM, updated December 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Print

Email

HOOVER, Alabama - Police say a man fired shots at Hoover firefighters early today when they responded to a call for medical assistance at his Lake Cyrus home.

Firefighters were dispatched about 4:30 a.m. to the man's home in the 1600 block of Lake Cyrus Club Drive. As firefighters entered through the front door, police say Phillip Earl Jones Jr. opened fire. The firefighters retreated to a position of safety, said Hoover police Capt. Jim Coker. No one was injured by the gunfire.

Police on the scene took Jones, 45, into custody. He was taken to Shelby Baptist Hospital where he was treated for minor injuries. He was then taken to the Hoover City Jail on an attempted murder charge, Coker said. He was later transferred to the Jefferson County Jail where he is being held on $30,000 bond.

Coker said authorities are still trying to determine the man's motive for shooting at firefighters.

The shooting comes just three days after two firefighters were fatally shot and two others wounded when responding to a fire in Webster, N.Y. Authorities there say an ex-con gunned down those firefighters after luring them to his neighborhood by setting a car and a house ablaze early Monday. They say he then took shots at police and committed suicide while several homes burned.

copy cats?

no stress

no stress

Chrissy wrote:copy cats?

Who knows. Could've been just a paranoid guy that didnt hear the guys coming in. I always bang on the door with my flashlight and then crack it and yell "fire department" as loud as I can so they know who is coming inside.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Wow, an attempted murderer has a $30,000 bond.

Gunz wrote:
Chrissy wrote:copy cats?

Who knows. Could've been just a paranoid guy that didnt hear the guys coming in. I always bang on the door with my flashlight and then crack it and yell "fire department" as loud as I can so they know who is coming inside.

I'm glad to hear that you do that. The one time that I've had to call the police, they did NOT announce themselves and I had to holler out to THEM, "WHO'S THERE??!" so I didn't shoot someone's ass off.

This shit is just troubling as hell though.

2seaoat

You can ask some of the professionals who are on this board.....this is nothing new. I share office space with a former Fire Chief, and he was called to a scene where there had been a gang retaliation shooting, and they got there before LEO, but even though victims were in need of help.....their policy was to wait for LEO on every shooting incident before entering a residence.

There are regulations in every department in this nation which recognize that the very people who you are going to help may put first responders at risk. There is nothing new here....and the news media hyping the same does not do much to stop a slew of copycats.....why don't we wait for all the facts.....you could have a domestic, intoxication, or mental illness. My daughter always charges attempted murder when there is a shooting and folks are in the vicinity, and then once more of the facts are known goes with a lesser included offense. The bond probably reflects some facts we simply do not know.

I live in Hoover, but t'weren't me.

I was in P'cola one night when my wife told our youngest sons that he could borrow a book to read. My son worked late that evening and my wife forgot about him coming by and went to sleep. My son uses his key and comes into our Hoover house, sees Christine in the bed sleeping and uses his cell phone light to search the upstairs library.

I told him that he is lucky that I wasn't home. This Christmas, I told my sons that if I am in bed late at night and someone comes upstairs without announcing their presence, they will be SHOT if they come into the bedroom. Questions will be asked later.

Yomama wrote:I live in Hoover, but t'weren't me.

I was in P'cola one night when my wife told our youngest sons that he could borrow a book to read. My son worked late that evening and my wife forgot about him coming by and went to sleep. My son uses his key and comes into our Hoover house, sees Christine in the bed sleeping and uses his cell phone light to search the upstairs library.

I told him that he is lucky that I wasn't home. This Christmas, I told my sons that if I am in bed late at night and someone comes upstairs without announcing their presence, they will be SHOT if they come into the bedroom. Questions will be asked later.

Oh hell, I know better than to go into any of my family's homes unannounced. It'd be suicide by family. I'd not even go into my blind, 90 year old granny's house unannounced. Her firearms are now mostly all across the street at my uncle's house, but she keeps a Louisville Slugger by her front door and one by her bed, and she ain't afraid to use them.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

riceme wrote:
Yomama wrote:I live in Hoover, but t'weren't me.

Oh hell, I know better than to go into any of my family's homes unannounced. It'd be suicide by family. I'd not even go into my blind, 90 year old granny's house unannounced. Her firearms are now mostly all across the street at my uncle's house, but she keeps a Louisville Slugger by her front door and one by her bed, and she ain't afraid to use them.

I'm an advocate of gun-ownership but none of my family members have guns.

Joanimaroni wrote:

Interesting. I can't think of anyone in my family who doesn't own firearms.

OH, my hippie-dippy sister. Not sure what happened to her. My mom and I often joke that we don't know what home she grew up in or what planet she's from. Question

2seaoat

OH, my hippie-dippy sister. Not sure what happened to her. My mom and I often joke that we don't know what home she grew up in or what planet she's from. Question

Meow.......

riceme wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Interesting. I can't think of anyone in my family who doesn't own firearms.

Most of my family has guns. Most of them were passed down form generation to generation.

2seaoat wrote:OH, my hippie-dippy sister. Not sure what happened to her. My mom and I often joke that we don't know what home she grew up in or what planet she's from. Question

Meow.......

LOL. Nice one, SO. cat

No sir, I don't consider her to be a "pussy" at all. She is just so very different from the rest of our family, it's... well, just kind of strange. The only thing that bothers me is that she tries to argue with everyone else about how wrong she thinks we are. While I fully acknowledge and respect her right to state her opinion, it's the disrespectful manner in which she chooses to do so that bothers me, particularly when she's addressing my granny and my folks. I don't like to see or hear them being spoken down to, especially not by my own sister.

Chrissy wrote:
Most of my family has guns. Most of them were passed down form generation to generation.

Most of the ones in my family, as well. Lots of treasures.

NaNook

NaNook

Have you ever seen a long rifle from the Andrew Jackson period in Pensacola? Have you ever seen personal weapons from the "war of northern aggression"? Have you ever seen a SxS from a Count in Europe?

These weapons were/are works of art.

You have to see them to believe.....only nuts misuse guns...its proven.

2seaoat

"war of northern aggression"?

Didn't they teach you in school that losers do not get naming rights.

only nuts misuse guns...its proven.

How is a gun misused when it kills someone.....did the trigger ignite the charge? Did the bullet travel down the barrel and go toward its target? Did the bullet pierce the skin of the target.......it all certainly sounds like the proper use of a gun.....and of course you are correct.....only a nut would use their gun to prop up their hood? Only a nut would use their gun to paddle their canoe......or use the gun as a baseball bat.......nope a gun which sends a bullet into a person's body is most certainly the design parameters of the weapon and it is certainly not a misuse of the weapon to do the same......we perhaps need more nuts misusing a gun.

In case you missed it, the ice skull face guy has actually lobbied that racism is a good thing....!!!

He's all up in it, and he's serious, and he stated it so matter of fact that I thought he was kidding. A bad joke, but kidding.

I was wrong.

NaNook wrote:Have you ever seen a long rifle from the Andrew Jackson period in Pensacola? Have you ever seen personal weapons from the "war of northern aggression"? Have you ever seen a SxS from a Count in Europe?

These weapons were/are works of art.

You have to see them to believe.....only nuts misuse guns...its proven.

I don't know if you're asking me or not, but I'll answer anyways. No, I haven't. Especially wish I'd seen a long gun from the Andrew Jackson period in Pensacola. However, my folks and some other members of my family have some very nice collections of black powder rifles and pistols. My mom is real tiny... 4'11" and about 100-lbs. For one of her birthdays, Mother's Day or Christmas some years back my dad had a .50-cal black powder rifle custom made for her with lighter materials so that she could handle it easier than a standard one. It's pretty cool. My mom is a great shot with pretty much everything, but particularly with long guns, and w/archery and hatchets as well. In fact, she's way past deadly with a hatchet. For being so damned tiny, I have no idea where all the velocity comes from in her throw. lol. She never ceases to amaze me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum