Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

The Florida State Board of Education passed a plan that sets goals for students in math and reading based upon their race.

On Tuesday, the board passed a revised strategic plan that says that by 2018, it wants 90 percent of Asian students, 88 percent of white students, 81 percent of Hispanics and 74 percent of black students to be reading at or above grade level. For math, the goals are 92 percent of Asian kids to be proficient, whites at percent, Hispanics at 80 percent and blacks at 74 percent. It also measures by other groupings, such as poverty and disabilities, reported the Palm Beach Post.

The plan has infuriated many community activists in Palm Beach County and across the state.

“To expect less from one demographic and more from another is just a little off-base,” Juan Lopez, magnet coordinator at John F. Kennedy
http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2012/10/12/florida-passes-plan-for-racially-based-academic-goals/

were going backwards people No

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

okay let me see what this says.....whites are 100%, A # 1, top of the heap, shining stars and every other race is handicapped....yeah I can see how this would tick off some folks...

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Why raise the bar for people who are most likely to spend a lot of time in one. The asian numbers should be a wake up call for Americans.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:okay let me see what this says.....whites are 100%, A # 1, top of the heap, shining stars and every other race is handicapped....yeah I can see how this would tick off some folks...

actually they had asians as the top of the heap.

what ever happened to you work hard, study, do well and you will suceed. now they need to come along and say no, that isnt so any more. your black and we understand your premise in life so if you make a 74 we will give you an "A" the same as the white kid who made 88.

this is so wrong and sets a really bad example for our children

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Asians are not of this earth...they were put here by a superior race...give the rest of us time we will dumb them down.....

looks like they are saying it's because of their environment anyway not a natural dimness.

“Our kids, although they come from different socioeconomic backgrounds,
they still have the ability to learn,” Lopez said. “To dumb down the
expectations for one group, that seems a little unfair.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

It defies all common sense that they are legally able to do that, doesn't it?

Has to be a challenge waiting in the wings.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Asians are not of this earth...they were put here by a superior race...give the rest of us time we will dumb them down.....

looks like they are saying it's because of their environment anyway not a natural dimness.

so lower expectations for poor kids, what do you think that will do?

I think it will kill drive in these kids to over acheive to better thier cicumstance. many of poor kids do well, or have done well.

this seems to me they think they are trying to level the playing feild. but what they are doing is ruining the playing feild.

not only that, this is going to cause some strife within the races. you watch

stormwatch89 wrote:It defies all common sense that they are legally able to do that, doesn't it?

yes it does, we are going backwards on this. i cant believe they would do this

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well you either admit that there are racial differences and adjust or you SEGREGATE.....there I said it...George Wallace just rolled in his grave....

bad ideas fail... and they fail faster with a built in excuse.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Rogue wrote:
stormwatch89 wrote:It defies all common sense that they are legally able to do that, doesn't it?

I can't believe they will be ABLE to do this.

"Backwards" is mild.

Mind boggling to think of the ramifications and complications that lie ahead if it stands.

stormwatch89 wrote:
Rogue wrote:

I can't believe they will be ABLE to do this.

"Backwards" is mild.

Mind boggling to think of the ramifications and complications that lie ahead if it stands.

this is going to cause hardships to the children, its such a bad idea,.

I can see how this will cause race relation problems among the kids

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well give them kids an IQ test and those that can't score enough to stay with the program go straight to the fields planting taters...that should be incentive enough..Back in my day it was...I still hate planting taters..

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Asians are not of this earth...they were put here by a superior race...give the rest of us time we will dumb them down.....

Environment has a lot to do with ability and prior experiences even before a student makes it to kindergarten. There are kids from families who have no clue of how to hold a pencil, pen, or crayon even before they get to their first structured school setting. They have no idea of how to open a book and less of an idea that the letters on the page contain actual language they should begin to understand. They do not know in which direction to turn the page to read said book. Why? They are not exposed to it before their formal school years begin and that is sad and disgusting. I've did home instruction for kids who lived in trailers in the Allentown and Jay areas of Santa Rosa County where there were large holes in the floor that showed the ground underneath what they called home, yet they had a nice stereo and Nintendo (dating my experience here in the early 90s) with a TV better than the one I had at home. There was little to no artwork on the walls, but a giant Confederate Battle Flag was displayed across the living room wall as you entered. One house I went to in Floridatown had no sheetrock or insulation on the walls in the entire house. The floor was concrete with a few throw rugs scattered about here and there.

How are kids like those from the places mentioned above going to compete with the kid from Stonebrook who has a computer, Ipod, trips across the country during the summer etc? How are those kids from the aforementioned areas that have parents who are barely literate supposed to compete with those who have college graduate parents and both of those parents still in the same household? Poverty is a neutralizer of ability because it denies experiences and opportunities to kids who grow up in it. Each social class has its own experiences and mannerisms as well. You might have a kid that can excel despite their conditions and ends up being able to make a ton of money, but what happens when they are invited to a formal dinner and don't know which fork to eat with at different courses of the meal? And when said kid does make it big, he/she ends up having to choose between the lifestyle they left and the one there are experiencing which is giving them their "bread and butter" now.

Everyone who thinks that this is a bad thing needs to read the books by Ruby Payne and the challenges of not just educating people of lower socioeconomic status, but how you make them successful in the jump from poverty to middle class and beyond. It's not as easy as you think and that is one of the reasons why you see a lot of pro athletes broke at the end of 10-15 year careers when they made in excess of 100 million dollars.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I gave you a plus for that dog it was well written and well explained..even I could understand your point...I guess we make a lot out $200 tennis shoes like Bill Crosby ranted about....yes priorities are all out of whack in some places in some people.

As for Asian kids, well look at how sacred Asians hold their family unit. Parents and grandparents are not throwaway items you put into a nursing home. Kids are taught early on that A's are demanded because they are told from day one of school that expectations are high because "they are capable." There is no argument. Parents are parents and not their child's best friend. Parents talk to teachers and check their grades online not when something bad is happening, but every week or more than once a week. They nip issues in the bud early on and do not ignore signs that there are academic issues.

Last edited by PACEDOG#1 on 10/14/2012, 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I gave you a plus for that dog it was well written and well explained..even I could understand your point...I guess we make a lot out $200 tennis shoes like Bill Crosby ranted about....yes priorities are all out of whack in some places in some people.

Agreed!!!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Look what I found.....

PACEDOG#1 wrote:As for Asian kids, well look at how sacred Asians hold their family unit. Parents and grandparents are not throwaway items you put into a nursing home. Kids are taught early on that A's are demanded because they are told from day one of school that expectations are high because "they are capable." There is no argument. Parents are parents and not their child's best friend. Parents talk to teachers and check their grades online not when something bad is happening, but every week or more than once a week. They nip issues in the bud early on and do not ignore signs that there are academic issues.

Thanks for bringing your expertise to this thread. you make perfectly good sense. Smile

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Rogue wrote:

I think it will kill drive in these kids to over acheive to better thier cicumstance. many of poor kids do well, or have done well.

this seems to me they think they are trying to level the playing feild. but what they are doing is ruining the playing feild.

What's your excuse?

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I gave you a plus for that dog it was well written and well explained..even I could understand your point...I guess we make a lot out $200 tennis shoes like Bill Crosby ranted about....yes priorities are all out of whack in some places in some people.

"I've did home instruction"-come on PD but otherwise you are correct about the socioeconomic differences especially when parents are uneducated.

Floridatexan wrote:
Rogue wrote:

What's your excuse?

Really. I've never seen a supposedly college graduate write like that?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --Barack
Obama, speaking at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon. Obama
continues on to say his staff would not justify visiting Hawaii and Alaska.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --Barack

That's the same as misspelling simple words every day?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Dreamsglore wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --Barack

That's the same as misspelling simple words every day?
No but I just had to do it. I am giving Pacedog some respect because I liked what he said.. I didn't want it taken away by a fly in what was otherwise good soup...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum