This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why it's right for you to vote NO on the Penny Sales Tax Increase -- Tuesday, October 8

Are you voting NO on the sales tax increase?

Why it's right for you to vote NO on the Penny Sales Tax Increase -- Tuesday, October 8 I_vote_lcap100%Why it's right for you to vote NO on the Penny Sales Tax Increase -- Tuesday, October 8 I_vote_rcap 100% [ 2 ]
Why it's right for you to vote NO on the Penny Sales Tax Increase -- Tuesday, October 8 I_vote_lcap0%Why it's right for you to vote NO on the Penny Sales Tax Increase -- Tuesday, October 8 I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger
$80k worth of Vote Yes for the Penny signs, billboards and TV spots. All paid for by builders and developers and their suppliers. Why is passage of the proposed sales tax increase so important?

For more than a decade the same people behind the PAC that's funding all the pro-sales tax hoopla, have also made the majority of campaign re-election contributions to Santa Rosa County's Board of Commissioners.

Why? In order to get their projects going they have to have commissioner approval for zoning changes and building permits.  Over the same decade they've made it known they didn't want impact fees or county money wasted on updating infrastructure.  Not even for schools.  They winked and the commissioners winked back.

Now our main roads and schools are badly overcrowded and at best, the infrastructure correction will take years and cost millions of dollars.

Currently there are some 2500 family units permitted to be built, and a new 4,500 home project is awaiting approval.  So the problems the builders created are ready to bite them where it hurts.  They realize they won't be able to sell their new units now the degree of road and school congestion has become so obvious.  Oops!  And since their only interest is to make profit and move on, they've asked the commissioners to schedule a special election for a sales tax increase on October 8th.  If it wins, it means they can play us for suckers once again and use our money to fix their messes.

Truth is, their pro-sales tax promotional investment of $80,000 is a drop in the bucket when one considers the vast millions in income the building industry earns from our county each year.

The victims are you and me because we residents didn't realize until just now how the men we'd trusted to protect our interests had sold us out.  Waiting a half hour or more in stop and go traffic to get to work, or seeing your children face busing to distant schools because the local one is full, is hurtful, costly, and if left uncorrected will surely crash our local home values.

The main issue isn't impact fees, or taxes, or infrastructure updating anymore. We must face the fact our local government is corrupt and can no longer be trusted.

If you live in Santa Rosa County, October 8's special sales tax election may be the best chance you'll get to let the commissioners and the builders know you're on to their game, you're mad as hell, and you aren't going to take it anymore!

Vote NO and stomp on their unholy, unhealthy alliance!  As Americans, we deserve the full allegiance of the people we elect to represent our interests.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

If I lived in Santa Rosa County, I would vote NO. When I lived in Houston (of all places), developers were required to do a PUD (Planned Unit Development). The builder was responsible for all infrastructure. I've seen the audacity of some of these developers, both there and in Pensacola. They want the laws written in their favor. They don't want to pay their workers a living wage. They want them to work comp exempt (no worker's comp coverage).

It's good to hear from you, Wordslinger. Very Happy

Wordslinger

Wordslinger
Floridatexan wrote:
If I lived in Santa Rosa County, I would vote NO.  When I lived in Houston (of all places), developers were required to do a PUD (Planned Unit Development).  The builder was responsible for all infrastructure.  I've seen the audacity of some of these developers, both there and in Pensacola.  They want the laws written in their favor.  They don't want to pay their workers a living wage.  They want them to work comp exempt (no worker's comp coverage).  

Nice hearing from you too!

Telstar

Telstar
Wordslinger wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
If I lived in Santa Rosa County, I would vote NO.  When I lived in Houston (of all places), developers were required to do a PUD (Planned Unit Development).  The builder was responsible for all infrastructure.  I've seen the audacity of some of these developers, both there and in Pensacola.  They want the laws written in their favor.  They don't want to pay their workers a living wage.  They want them to work comp exempt (no worker's comp coverage).  

Nice hearing from you too!

Nice hearing from both of you. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum