This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nothing matters to this occupant of the White House except $$$$! NOTHING

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030
Statue of Liberty Inscription – The New Colossus

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"

cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your

poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

—Emma Lazarus, 1883

That is the whole inscription. Trump's Ministry of Truth was hopefully "just kidding" about at least changing the IDEA of the poem but, I ask in all seriousness, how many viewers on Fox will think this is what the poem said? This is just obscene. Even from a totally practical point of view, I feel sure that many immigrants coming here, who eventually developed very large and profitable companies or came up with inventions etc. worth millions, were, for a time, on some sort of public assistance. Good grief.

A person's worth in terms of dollars and cents aside, immigrants bring new ideas, new foods, new perhaps small aspects of their former culture that enrich this country, give it a depth and flavor unlike any other. Trump is turning everything we ever stood for on its head. I can't wait for this administration to be over. We are going to be decades repairing the damage he's done to our international reputation. I fear it will never be back to a pre-Trump standing because there is always the possibility that one day another despicable person could be elected president.

Here's acting USCIS director Ken Cuccinelli saying on NPR this morning that the Statue of Liberty plaque should be changed to read, "give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet, and who will not become a public charge."

Sal

Sal
othershoe1030 wrote: I fear it will never be back to a pre-Trump standing because there is always the possibility that one day another despicable person could be elected president.

This bell cannot be unrung.

America as we once knew her is dead.

zsomething

Yep. Trump's making it clear: if you're not rich, he doesn't want you.

I wonder how that's going to make a lot of the people who voted for him feel? Because most of the Trump supporters I know make less than $25,000 a year.

Also, Trump's Agriculture Secretary just mocked farmers as "whiners."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sonny-perdue-whining-farmers-angry-reaction_n_5d51e64ce4b0c63bcbec0c10?utm_source=politics_fb&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013§ion=politics&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1_KshNP-Ngi5NfPHOTbAqZeCVjMlJwQ20prqDhig3UkTOrJoafdNmVuvI

How's that gonna play out?

Yeah, Republicans care about the working man. They care about fooling 'em into supporting the rich. And that shit's been working down South forever now, ever since non-slave-holders got tricked into fighting and dying for a bunch of rich people who stayed home and sipped mint juleps.

I don't know how anybody believes in Trump anymore, but I've figured out, you can't help 'em, they'll only fight you. We're just going to have to outvote 'em, or it's goodbye, America. Because if this is what Trump does when he's worried about getting re-elected, just imagine what he'd do during a second term when he'd have no consequences to fear.

gatorfan

When are you folks going to learn that some idiot saying something doesn't mean it will happen or that they were even serious?

The problem IMHO are not "immigrants" but ILLEGAL immigrants. A word too important to be left out of the narrative.

My own great-grandparents immigrated from Hungary after WWI, learned English, my GGF found a job at a steel mill and worked there until he retired. OBTW - both also became citizens.

The most angry people I've talked to about illegal immigrants are LEGAL immigrants who became U.S. citizens by following the law - ponderous as it is.

Telstar

Telstar
Sal wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote: I fear it will never be back to a pre-Trump standing because there is always the possibility that one day another despicable person could be elected president.

Yes, America was the guy that Trump shot on 5th Ave and his moron base still supports him.

Sal

Sal
gatorfan wrote:When are you folks going to learn that some idiot saying something doesn't mean it will happen or that they were even serious?

The problem IMHO are not "immigrants" but ILLEGAL immigrants. A word too important to be left out of the narrative.

My own great-grandparents immigrated from Hungary after WWI, learned English, my GGF found a job at a steel mill and worked there until he retired. OBTW - both also became citizens.

The most angry people I've talked to about illegal immigrants are LEGAL immigrants who became U.S. citizens by following the law - ponderous as it is.

Nice try, Sparky ...

... but this thread is about the administration's plans to restrict and penalize LEGAL immigrants.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-administration-rule-legal-immigration-restrict

Do try to keep up.

BTW, does anyone here really believe that Sparky is talking to any immigrants - LEGAL or otherwise?? Give me a break.

gatorfan

Sal wrote:
gatorfan wrote:When are you folks going to learn that some idiot saying something doesn't mean it will happen or that they were even serious?

Nice try, Sparky ...

... but this thread is about the administration's plans to restrict and penalize LEGAL immigrants.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-administration-rule-legal-immigration-restrict

Do try to keep up.

BTW, does anyone here really believe that Sparky is talking to any immigrants - LEGAL or otherwise??  Give me a break.

Why do you attempt to try and change the narrative (poorly I might add). Why don't you go back and look at the initial post loon. I, for one, could care less who YOU think I'm talking to. If you would crawl out of your basement once in awhile you too might meet someone interesting. Not that they would want to talk to you after 5 seconds of listening to your pompous, arrogant rantings. Stir the pot in your bathroom - not here Sally.

zsomething

Don't tell us, tell Trump. Trump's working to fix it so even LEGAL immigration is going to be limited to only people with money. If they're already successful, a lot of them won't need to come here.

I, also, am a son of a Hungarian immigrant. My dad was a Hungarian diplomat who lived in Berlin during WWII. He was taken as a prisoner of war just for being there, doing his job, until they figured out that he wasn't a Nazi or a "security risk" and he got a job as an interpreter for a Colonel (who used to live in Pensacola, in fact -- we used to visit them every summer). After the war my dad moved to South America and waited to come to America. It took over a decade, even back then... and it's worse now. When he came to this country he had about $50 to his name. Under Trump's new guidelines, he wouldn't have gotten in.

My dad had mastered five languages and built a great teaching career out of it, helped a lot of people. John Grisham mentioned him in a speech as being his favorite teacher when he went to college.

So, yeah, I'd say my dad made a pretty good American. And he's what Trump wants blocked out, because Trump only wants rich people here. And also white. https://www.vox.com/2018/1/11/16880750/trump-immigrants-shithole-countries-norway Make no mistake, that is what's behind a lot of his economic-limiting of letting people in. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/trump-wants-to-make-immigration-white-again/ar-AAFK5AT?li=BBnb7Kz

If the kind of immigration policies Trump is suggesting had been the standard for the past hundred years, you and I probably wouldn't even be here.

Sal

Sal
gatorfan wrote:
Why do you attempt to try and change the narrative (poorly I might add). Why don't you go back and look at the initial post loon. I, for one, could care less who YOU think I'm talking to.

Damn, you're dumb.

I read the initial post, dumbass ... and unlike you, I know to what she's referring.

And, that would be Cuccinelli's comments regarding Emma Lazarus' famous poem as it relates to the administration's crackdown on LEGAL immigration.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/cuccinelli-lazarus-poem-public-charge-immigration

If you want to discuss ILLEGAL immigration, at least have the decency to find a corresponding thread discussing the same, and then you can be equally stupid and misinformed, but at least you'll be in the right place.

You're welcome.

gatorfan

Sal wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
Why do you attempt to try and change the narrative (poorly I might add). Why don't you go back and look at the initial post loon. I, for one, could care less who YOU think I'm talking to.

Damn, you're dumb.

I read the initial post, dumbass ... and unlike you, I know to what she's referring.

And, that would be Cuccinelli's comments regarding Emma Lazarus' famous poem as it relates to the administration's crackdown on LEGAL immigration.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/cuccinelli-lazarus-poem-public-charge-immigration

If you want to discuss ILLEGAL immigration, at least have the decency to find a corresponding thread discussing the same, and then you can be equally stupid and misinformed, but at least you'll be in the right place.

You're welcome.
Ignorance is your specialty. Yawn.

gatorfan

zsomething wrote:

Don't tell us, tell Trump.  Trump's working to fix it so even LEGAL immigration is going to be limited to only people with money.  If they're already successful, a lot of them won't need to come here.

I, also, am a son of a Hungarian immigrant.  My dad was a Hungarian diplomat who lived in Berlin during WWII.  He was taken as a prisoner of war just for being there, doing his job, until they figured out that he wasn't a Nazi or a "security risk" and he got a job as an interpreter for a Colonel (who used to live in Pensacola, in fact -- we used to visit them every summer).   After the war my dad moved to South America and waited to come to America.  It took over a decade, even back then... and it's worse now.   When he came to this country he had about $50 to his name.  Under Trump's new guidelines, he wouldn't have gotten in.

My dad had mastered five languages and built a great teaching career out of it, helped a lot of people.  John Grisham mentioned him in a speech as being his favorite teacher when he went to college.  

So, yeah, I'd say my dad made a pretty good American.   And he's what Trump wants blocked out, because Trump only wants rich people here.  And also white.  https://www.vox.com/2018/1/11/16880750/trump-immigrants-shithole-countries-norway   Make no mistake, that is what's behind a lot of his economic-limiting of letting people in.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/trump-wants-to-make-immigration-white-again/ar-AAFK5AT?li=BBnb7Kz

If the kind of immigration policies Trump is suggesting had been the standard for the past hundred years, you and I probably wouldn't even be here.  

Of course if the Trumpet had been Prez back then along with a fractured Congress like we have now neither family probably would have even wanted to venture over.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030
Telstar wrote:
Sal wrote:

Yes, America was the guy that Trump shot on 5th Ave and his moron base still supports him.

Well, that hit me like a bucket of cold water in the face! That is so right on and so disturbing. They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. I have also been told by people who wouldn't even bother to register to vote that it doesn't really matter who wins because, they're all the same. Trump's election has proven that to be wrong.

Now we can plainly see what we've lost and what we have left to lose. Let's hope the opposition can rally around our next nominee for president and also take back the Senate. It is astounding that someone so immoral, shallow and short sighted could be elected president.

He is so focused on what he thinks of as "cash flow" that the military had to explain to him the purpose/benefit of having troops in South Korea, the purpose of NATO, etc. Now, he has put off raising tariffs on China until Dec. 15th so as to not put a crimp in holiday shopping. Oh wait, I thought he said China was going to pay those tariffs?! This almost sounds as if someone finally got through to him and he realizes that Americans actually pay the higher prices. So much for the stable genius.

Telstar

Telstar
othershoe1030 wrote:
Telstar wrote:
Sal wrote:

It is astounding that someone so immoral, shallow and short sighted could be elected president.

Maybe not. He knows what kind of animals make up his base.

zsomething

Too bad the farmers, veterans, and working-class people will likely never hear this, because it's the damn truth. "They're not your buddy, and Alejandra is not your enemy."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum