Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Poor Kids Are As Bright and Talented As White Kids"

+3
RealLindaL
zsomething
Sal
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

Oy vey ....

"Poor Kids Are As Bright and Talented As White Kids" Captur22

zsomething

Biden's a good guy, but he definitely says dumb things. That's a known quantity. I cut him slack because I know his intentions are good, but if people want to make hay out of things he says, he does give 'em plenty of opportunities.

I was figuring running against Trump would make anyone's gaffes be a non-issue, but... I dunno how that'll play out. Compared to the stuff Trump says, his opponents should be given a pretty much unlimited gaffe-allowance. But it seems Democrats are still held to a different standard.

That's not altogether a bad thing -- I like having higher standards -- but it does get a bit frustrating when some conservative will still claim Obama was a liar because of "if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" (which wasn't even a lie, just an inaccuracy in a small percentage of cases... but it's always 'bout the only "lie" they can find, so they mention it every single time)... but then they ignore the over 10,000 lies Trump's told, most of which are much bigger than "you can keep your doctor." https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/04/trump-has-told-more-than-10000-lies-since-being-inaugurated-washington-post I don't mind a double-standard since conservatives tend to need a handicap anyway -- they're trying to punch way above their weight-class as far as track records go -- but, jeez, there oughtta be a limit.

Anyway, yep, Biden, gaffe, like the sunrise, it's gonna happen.

RealLindaL

Almost as bad as (if not worse than) this gaffe while campaigning in Iowa:

Presumably referring to the Democratic party, he said,
"We choose science over fiction; we choose truth over facts."

Oy vey is right. (And forgive me if I missed someone else's already having reported this in another thread.)

I suppose if such gaffes are his worst failing, Biden's defects do indeed pale in comparison to King Cheeto's. Still -- though I realize it's unlikely -- I wish some expert could teach Biden a sure fire way to quit tripping over his own tongue.

Sal

Sal

Mr. Electable is one colossal gaffe away from getting Trump reelected.

The entire cable news ecosystem is waiting to pounce.

bigdog

Well, they are not pouncing right now. I watch both CNN and MSNBC, and his gaffe yesterday was said to be late in the day, when he was very tired, and simply "just Joe Biden." Both networks agreed it will likely mean nothing at all to the campaign.
Joe Biden is far more likely, because of his reputation, to get by with a few gaffes in his campaign than Elizabeth Warren is, or Corey Booker is, or Kamala Harris is, just because he is known to be a walking-talking gaffe machine.
He's also known as being a deeply caring man, who speaks more off the cuff than he does from a list of talking points. When all you do is spew the same talking points out every single day, day after day, you don't make many mistakes. You also become boring and a little difficult to believe.
Does anybody in this country really want to hear Bernie Sanders talk about the one percenters anymore? I know I don't. It's an old, tired record. He never gets it wrong, because he's memorized it so well. But it's damned boring.

I'll take a stuttering, stammering human being who cares so much he screws up sometimes over an automaton any day. I think a lot of other people feel exactly the same way. He's not still on top for no reason.

Sal

Sal

The thing about it is that it wasn't so much a gaffe as it was a Freudian slip.

It directly echoed what he said about Obama in '07;

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,"

It's not a misstatement, it's how he actually thinks.

It's one thing when it's coming from your crazy old uncle at Thanksgiving dinner and you can just ignore him.

It's an entirely different thing when it's coming from a candidate for President of the United States.

bigdog

Yep, and Obama thought he was such a racist he invited Biden to be his VP.

I'm not surprised you'd bring up a statement from 12 years ago, because you are so desperate to change the playing field.

The majority of African American voters in every poll so far have said they plan to vote for Joe Biden. How about letting the recipients of racism decide what racism is instead of some white, middle class guy who is itching to promote another political candidate.
They are smart enough, you know?
Or maybe you don't believe that. Maybe you think you have to point out the racism to them or they just won't see it?

It's not going to work. They're too smart for you Sal.

zsomething

Sal wrote:
The thing about it is that it wasn't so much a gaffe as it was a Freudian slip.

It directly echoed what he said about Obama in '07;

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,"

It's not a misstatement, it's how he actually thinks.

It's one thing when it's coming from your crazy old uncle at Thanksgiving dinner and you can just ignore him.

It's an entirely different thing when it's coming from a candidate for President of the United States.

Sure, we all know Joe's a bigot who just hated Obama. Rolling Eyes

I like ya, but every once in a while you oughtta stop and listen to yourself.

Sal

Sal

zsomething wrote:

Sure, we all know Joe's a bigot who just hated Obama.

No, he's just old, and his thinking is old ...

... that can become a problem.

He has a history of face-panting early.

Now is definitely the time to be talking about this.

bigdog

Well, you just keep on talking about it here in your little lily white world. So long as African Americans don't give a rat's arse about a couple of misplaced words by someone they know already, you're not making any difference at all.

Maya Angelou said "when someone shows you who they are the first time, believe them."
Joe Biden showed that community who he was by working loyally under an African American president for 8 years.

Angelou didn't say a word about anyone "telling" you who they are, she said "shows" you who they are. They've seen who Joe Biden is.
From looking at the polls, I don't think they're changing their minds.

Sal

Sal

When your strongest reason to support a candidate is their lead in the polls, that lead is not likely to hold.

I'll be more than happy to accept the verdict of the African-American Democratic electorate.

But, that's yet to be decided.

And, I'll be damned if I'm gonna take the word of a boomer, centrist, Trump-apologist for it.

Last edited by Sal on 8/9/2019, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

bigdog

Liar. Show me a post where I've ever said a good word about Donald Trump, or admit you just lied. Because everybody else on this forum knows it.

If you've read any of my posts about Biden, you'd have figured out that I like Joe Biden and I like him a LOT. He's not my choice because he's the frontrunner.

I've liked Joe Biden throughout his entire political career, FYI, because I've always thought he might just be the most sincerely honest man in Washington DC. He's real. He's what he is every day and he isn't showing off for anybody. And he can stand his ground with the best of them. I'm not that enamored with any of the other candidates, other than Booker, who also impresses me as an honest, sincere man.

You can wait all day to see what the African American community thinks, or you can believe the polls, or you can believe friends of yours from that community, if pigs fly and you happen to have any. But whatever you do, you can't influence them to change their opinions on Biden. Only Biden can do that, and since they seem to see exactly what I see in him, that he's very capable, smart, and has a huge heart, changing their minds just ain't gonna happen. Wait and see.
And quit lying. There's way too much of that going on lately on the forum.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

bigdog wrote:Liar.  Show me  a post where I've ever said a good word about Donald Trump, or admit you just lied.  Because everybody else on this forum knows it.

If you've read any of my posts about Biden, you'd have figured out that I like Joe Biden and I like him a LOT. He's not my choice because he's the frontrunner.

I've liked Joe Biden throughout his entire political career, FYI, because I've always thought he might just be the most sincerely honest man in Washington DC. He's real. He's what he is every day and he isn't showing off for anybody. And he can stand his ground with the best of them. I'm not that enamored with any of the other candidates, other than Booker, who also impresses me as an honest, sincere man.

You can wait all day to see what the African American community thinks, or you can believe the polls, or you can believe friends of yours from that community, if pigs fly and you happen to have any.  But whatever you do, you can't influence them to change their opinions on Biden. Only Biden can do that, and since they seem to see exactly what I see in him, that he's very capable, smart, and has a huge heart, changing their minds just  ain't gonna happen. Wait and see.
And quit lying. There's way too much of that going on lately on the forum.

"Poor Kids Are As Bright and Talented As White Kids" Helenkeller1

bigdog

Oh, Good Lord, we're into quotes now.
John Lennon said "Living is easy with the eyes closed."

I'd venture to say your eyes are as closed to reality as they can be at this point in time. Long term vision is nice to think about, but not in the middle of a war for the very existence of our democracy.
We don't have the time for dreaming of perfection right now.
America, as we know it, could no longer exist in another two years.

All the quotes in the world won't change that. Neither will all that dreaming.

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog

John Lennon didn't write Imagine while Donald Trump was the most powerful man on the planet.

Did he?

He never even imagined a Donald Trump could exist.

Go contemplate your belly buttons and dream about the shape of clouds. That's about as useful as some people on here will be when the real fight starts next spring.

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL

Keep up the good, sensible work, bigdog.  You are SPOT ON here in every respect (you too, zsomething), and I, for one, greatly appreciate it.

I also want to say I agree that Sal's calling you (or me!) a Trump apologist is patently ridiculous, not to mention deeply appalling.   Cut the crap, Sal.

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog

Oh Good Grief Telstar, I probably have as many Beatles albums as you do. You don't have to tell me they were dreamers, and I shouldn't have to tell you they were a little naïve in their thinking. We can't all wander off and meditate with the Maharishi, can we?

I'm as big a Beatles fan as anyone. I saw them on Ed Sullivan when they first arrived in the US. I still have my "Meet the Beatles" album and my "Introducing the Beatles" album. You don't get any earlier than those two albums.

But the thoughts John Lennon had in "Imagine" will never come to be in an imperfect world. An imperfect world being any world occupied by human beings.

Maybe if dogs ruled the planet, but not us.

bigdog

I need to point out that my Introducing the Beatles album is not the one with the solid white back.
That's so I won't get about a hundred burglars coming into my house tonight to steal one of the most valuable Beatles albums out there.
Mine's only worth about a hundred bucks, hardly worth facing my two dogs over Very Happy Very Happy

Sal

Sal

You tried to use the El Paso whack job’s manifesto to claim he wasn’t inspired by Trump.

Maybe that doesn’t make you a Trump-apologist.

But, it does make you a dumbass.

bigdog

BULL SHIT. I DID NOT.

I POSTED the Manifesto against your wishes. And that pissed you off. I never once said Trump wasn't responsible for what happened in El Paso.

How many times can you lie in a row before people just aren't going to pay any attention to you ANYMORE Sal?

Twice on this one thread already.

Post the damned statement I made apologizing for either Trump or the shooter or shut your lying mouth.  I've asked both you and FT to post the lines from this forum where I said things that you two claimed I said, and neither of you can do it. That's because those statements don't exist. You're more like Trump than you know. Making up 'facts" as you go along.
It's so stupid to lie about stuff that's in print, or in this case, not in print.
Just far, far too easy to disprove.

bigdog

You know what Sal, you don't have to repost it, because I went back and found the FIRST time you accused me of being a Trump apologist. Here it is:

Just in case you couldn't remember your extremely offensive name calling:

Re: Never Forget and Never Again Yesterday at 8:34 am
Sal

trump-apologist wrote:
He also says he had these ideas long before Trump, and that he hates the Republicans too, because they are corporatists and therefore are in favor of immigration too.

Note, the quote you use to accuse ME of being a Trump apologist begins with the words "HE ALSO SAYS." I didn't major in English in college, but I pride myself in knowing that when someone is quoting another person, as in saying "HE ALSO SAYS," they are NOT expressing their personal opinion.

If that distinction is lost on you, there is an adult high school program out at Pensacola State College that you can enroll in. It would not only teach you how quotations are used, but you could also learn not to end sentences with the word "in," as I just did. Very Happy

I don't think they have a course in honesty though.

Sal

Sal

Like I said.

Case closed.

Thanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum