This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Democrats Debate lineup

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 17 of 18]

401Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 9:46 pm

Nah, there’s blood everywhere tonight (thanks CNN!).

I can’t even tell who’s winning yet.

Maybe Gillibrand.

View user profile

402Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 9:51 pm

I love Tulsi Gabbard. I now nominate her for Vice President.

View user profile

403Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 9:56 pm

bigdog wrote:I love Tulsi Gabbard. I now nominate her for Vice President.

Repub Lite ... no wonder you’re a fan.

View user profile

404Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 10:23 pm

Well, it's easy to see what Pkr likes about her. She's a very beautiful woman.

View user profile

405Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 10:31 pm

Nice crowd cheer when Castro mentioned Moscow Mitch. santa

View user profile

406Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 10:33 pm

I think Harris is probably done.

I hope she hasn’t burned too many bridges, ... she’d make an excellent VP.

I’d love to see her debate Pence.

View user profile

407Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 10:49 pm

I think Harris is done too, but I think Booker helped himself a lot tonight. He would be the last African American in the race.
I've said all along if I couldn't have Joe I'd like Booker, in spite of all his disagreements with Biden. Booker has character and a lot of heart. His passion comes through every time he speaks.
I still want Joe, but Booker would certainly be A-OK too.

View user profile

408Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 10:53 pm

It’s Biden v Warren

I don’t envy Biden.

View user profile

409Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 11:00 pm

Sal wrote:It’s Biden v Warren

I don’t envy Biden.

I think your right Sal.

View user profile

410Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 7/31/2019, 11:05 pm

Still too early to count anyone out, including Harris.

View user profile

411Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 11:37 am

Sal wrote:
bigdog wrote:I love Tulsi Gabbard. I now nominate her for Vice President.

Repub Lite ... no wonder you’re a fan.

Sounds like Russians and republicans are fans of Gabbard too. Maybe she will be 2020's Jill Stein.

View user profile

412Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 12:41 pm

Last night was a mess. The only one enjoying it was Trump. I would rather see our candidates via clips from their rallies telling us what they see for our country in a positive way than to see them sniping at each other. The way we're seeing the campaign now is Trump going out and spewing his vile notions to a crowd of cheering dupes. This is countered by, by what? It is countered by his opposition picking at each other over mind-numbing arcane minutia of changes to a health care system, yawn.

I know it is primary season and dems have to figure out who they want to run against Trump but this debate format sucks the life out of the process. The only person who brought a tear to my eye, showing he hit an emotional chord, was Cory Booker. He had his eye on the prize and spoke in a hopeful and positive way about our current situation. I think he understands the dynamics of Trump's approach to running/winning/ruling and can speak to our better instincts.

View user profile

413Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 2:08 pm

othershoe1030 wrote:Last night was a mess. The only one enjoying it was Trump. I would rather see our candidates via clips from their rallies telling us what they see for our country in a positive way than to see them sniping at each other. The way we're seeing the campaign now is Trump going out and spewing his vile notions to a crowd of cheering dupes. This is countered by, by what? It is countered by his opposition picking at each other over mind-numbing arcane minutia of changes to a health care system, yawn.

I know it is primary season and dems have to figure out who they want to run against Trump but this debate format sucks the life out of the process. The only person who brought a tear to my eye, showing he hit an emotional chord, was Cory Booker. He had his eye on the prize and spoke in a hopeful and positive way about our current situation. I think he understands the dynamics of Trump's approach to running/winning/ruling and can speak to our better instincts.

CNN sucks.  The moderators sucked, the time limits sucked, the number of candidates allowed to participate sucked, and the questions especially sucked.

It's like they were written by FAUX News writers.

"Why do you want to take away healthcare from millions of Americans?"

"Why do you want to open the borders to the invading brown hordes?"

"Senator Warren, why are you in favor of allowing America to be incinerated in a nuclear Armageddon?"

Even the intros to the debates looked like productions for prize fights.

Ridiculous.

Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 3a2544ef13d419014e91b5353ad165cd313d0747ba13abf34d972bcc32c1351e

View user profile

414Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 2:22 pm

I had vague memories of her having some Russian connections. I came across this article. Worrying to say the least.

Feb. 2, 2019, 6:03 AM CST
By Robert Windrem and Ben Popken
The Russian propaganda machine that tried to influence the 2016 U.S. election is now promoting the presidential aspirations of a controversial Hawaii Democrat who earlier this month declared her intention to run for president in 2020.

An NBC News analysis of the main English-language news sites employed by Russia in its 2016 election meddling shows Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii, who is set to make her formal announcement Saturday, has become a favorite of the sites Moscow used when it interfered in 2016.

Several experts who track websites and social media linked to the Kremlin have also seen what they believe may be the first stirrings of an upcoming Russian campaign of support for Gabbard.

Since Gabbard announced her intention to run on Jan. 11, there have been at least 20 Gabbard stories on three major Moscow-based English-language websites affiliated with or supportive of the Russian government: RT, the Russian-owned TV outlet; Sputnik News, a radio outlet; and Russia Insider, a blog that experts say closely follows the Kremlin line. The CIA has called RT and Sputnik part of "Russia's state-run propaganda machine."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/russia-s-propaganda-machine-discovers-2020-democratic-candidate-tulsi-gabbard-n964261

View user profile

415Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 3:27 pm

othershoe1030 wrote:I know it is primary season and dems have to figure out who they want to run against Trump but this debate format sucks the life out of the process. The only person who brought a tear to my eye, showing he hit an emotional chord, was Cory Booker. He had his eye on the prize and spoke in a hopeful and positive way about our current situation. I think he understands the dynamics of Trump's approach to running/winning/ruling and can speak to our better instincts.

Agreed the debate process has been terrible, especially the CNN version.

But, while I've liked Booker and still do, I didn't like what he did last night, which was talk out of both sides of his mouth.  First he said Trump was loving these debates as he watched the Dems attacking each other, clearly indicating the debaters shouldn't be doing that. Then he proceeded to join the fray himself by attacking others (notably Biden, especially with that deceptively folksy expression about the Kool-Aid). Talk about not being able to have it both ways!

I found it hypocritical, despite his upbeat, smiling self.   The words didn't match the stated intent at all. Not a way to inspire confidence.

View user profile

416Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 3:52 pm

I hope to see Harris,Warren, Booker, Biden and Sanders on stage during the rest of the debates. Good luck to the rest of the field although one of them is already receiving lots of support from their hackers...er, backers. santa

View user profile

417Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 4:38 pm

Telstar wrote:Good luck to the rest of the field although one of them is already receiving lots of support from their hackers...er, backers. santa

lol!

View user profile

418Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 4:48 pm

RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:Good luck to the rest of the field although one of them is already receiving lots of support from their hackers...er, backers. santa

lol!

Little wonder that the forums own "comrade" thinks she's all that and a pot of borsch! santa

View user profile

419Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 5:11 pm

Any of the Democrats is preferable to DJT. Whoever the candidate finally is, has to tap into the heartstrings of the democratic base. It's got to be someone who makes you want to get up in the morning and knock doors for them.

Biden has the name recognition so naturally he's out front but it is still very early, but does he excite the base? It has to be someone who can go beyond a recitation of issues. They have to get the base fired up and black voters have to want to back them too.

The debate format makes it tough to rile up the crowd.

View user profile

420Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 5:13 pm

Growing up, my late father loved his borscht, which my mom served him with the traditional sour cream. (All of which made my young self go, "YUCK!")

Haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the memories, Tel. Smile

View user profile

421Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 5:17 pm

othershoe1030 wrote:They have to get the base fired up and black voters have to want to back them too.

Why would you want to "rile up" the crowd?  Isn't that a Trump tactic?

As for the "base," honestly, I have no idea who or what the Democratic base consists of right now.   Do you?  Serious question.

As for the support of black voters, I wonder if there's any significant difference at present in that regard between Biden and Booker.  Should go look at some polls I guess - but I'll wait for the latest.

View user profile

422Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 8:34 pm

I don't know much about Tulsi Gabbard except that she punched Kamala Harris right in the nose last night and I loved it.
But If the implication is that the Russians are trying to help her because she's on their side, I would think that a truly intelligent person would realize the Russians only need Tulsi Gabbard as a candidate because they think Donald Trump would squash her in the general election. They have their president, they aren't out window shopping for someone new.

Also, she's a combat vet, and I doubt very seriously that the Russkies would pick someone like that to support in the first place. She's not puppet material. She seems to be very liberal, very anti--war, against going to war against Russia over Syria, which I think most Democrats would agree with I'm not talking her up, the only reason I jokingly said I nominate her for VP was that she had the guts to slam Kamala like she did and I truly, truly loved that. I hope Ms Harris cannot recover. I definitely don't know enough about Tulsi Gabbard to either endorse her or say she's a commie-pinko. I'm not going to decide based on that one article.

Just sayin'. I'm still going full steam for Joe and if Corey Booker gets the nomination, will do the same for him.
In both cases based on character and not necessarily on any similarity in their ideas.

View user profile

423Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/1/2019, 9:13 pm

Joy Reid and New York Times writer float theory that Russian bots are boosting Tulsi Gabbard

MSNBC host Joy Reid and New York Times writer Wajahat Ali floated the idea that Russian bots are boosting Rep. Tulsi Gabbard's presidential bid on Twitter.

"Beware the Russian bots and their promotion of Tulsi Gabbard and sowing racial dischord [sic], especially around Kamala Harris," said Ali, who contributes both to the Times and CNN.

"It is notable that her purpose in these debates has been specifically to take Harris down," Reid responded to Ali's tweet.

In February, NBC issued a report on Gabbard's campaign that claimed she had "become a favorite of the sites Moscow used when it interfered in 2016."

The 2020 hopeful has received criticism for meeting with Russian-backed Syrian dictator Bashar Assad in 2017.

After the Democratic primary debate Wednesday, Gabbard called Sen. Kamala Harris' accusations that she was an Assad apologist a "cheap smear." She added she believed Assad was a torturer and murderer.

After the first presidential debate in June, Gabbard claimed that Google censored her campaign, for which reason she is suing the company for $50 million. After the second debate, she was the most Googled Democratic candidate in the field.

Gabbard is currently tied for ninth place in the Democratic presidential primary with 1% support in the polls, according to RealClearPolitics.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/joy-reid-and-new-york-times-writer-float-theory-that-russian-bots-are-boosting-tulsi-gabbard

View user profile

424Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/2/2019, 1:54 pm

RealLindaL wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:They have to get the base fired up and black voters have to want to back them too.

Why would you want to "rile up" the crowd?  Isn't that a Trump tactic?

Why would you want to "rile up" the crowd? Are you kidding?!! You have to put a fire under people that makes them want to get out and vote!! I'm not talking about just getting them excited at a rally for the sake of entertainment, duh. I'm talking about voter motivation! I'm talking about firing up people who will go out with clipboards to public events and register people to vote, drive people to the polls, man phone banks. People don't do those things unless they are fired up about their candidate.

One reason Trump won the electoral college vote (Russian bots via Facebook aside) is that he is an experienced reality TV personality, a con-artist, in short, he's a charismatic shister. In a very real sense, to a certain extent, the Democrats have to counter all this emotional manipulation with some very real deeply felt call to our better selves. Is Trump the face of what America has become? Is this the image we want to project at home and around the world? He's the face of a bully who cowers to Putin and pokes a finger in the eyes of our allies. His AMERICA FIRST is really AMERICA ALONE. Is this who we are?  

View user profile

425Democrats Debate lineup - Page 17 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 8/2/2019, 2:21 pm

RealLindaL wrote:

As for the "base," honestly, I have no idea who or what the Democratic base consists of right now.   Do you?  Serious question.

As for the support of black voters, I wonder if there's any significant difference at present in that regard between Biden and Booker.  Should go look at some polls I guess - but I'll wait for the latest.

The base of both parties is not a fixed configuration. It shifts over time as  issues change and party leaders come forward. That being said, the GOP base is older and more white than the Democratic base. Oddly, Turmp is cultivating some fringe elements in his party, which is really now His party and not the traditional "conservative" GOP. The people he speaks to are white, mainly males who lean toward his idea of white nationalism. He does not go out of his way in any significant way to court people of color as seen in his recent insulting comments about how terrible many American cities are, which will never vote for him anyway so he has little to loose. Throw in QAnon people and Nazis and that pretty much rounds out who he thinks he's the president of. He never has expressed any interest in being the president of all Americans, only his base.

The Democrats have the support of the majority of people of color and college educated white voters. I doubt if many Latinos are planning on voting for Trump, who has been very harsh toward people seeking asylum on our southern border. Democrats used to be the party of the Union workers and workers in general. Reagan created the "Reagan Democrats" which moved a lot of this group over to the GOP side. It was a somewhat thinly veiled appeal, in some cases, to the workers racial biases, playing to their job security fears. Middle class teachers, usually support Democrats too, as do people who wish to stand up for civil rights, voting rights, environmental protections, healthcare like the ACA, oversight of financial dealings and institutions.

Black voters are important to electing a Democrat because if they don't support that person, the Democrats will not win, period. So far Biden has the bulk of black support. When Obama ran in the primaries in '08, he didn't emerge as the front runner until he did well in Iowa, a rather white state, and proved he could pull in white voters. Once blacks saw that, they were all in and helped him win the election.  

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum