This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Democrats Debate lineup

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 18]

26Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 12:44 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030
Any Democrat hoping to win the election in 2020 will have to have the enthusiastic support of the black community. There is no getting around this fact, which is why this matters to Joe and Mayor Pete. They are both suffering at this point from questions about their relationship to the black community. I don't think there is enough time to build black support. Biden enjoys the black support because he was a good VP to Obama. Mayor Pete, near as I can tell, only has negative feelings from his black constituents in South Bend.

27Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 1:11 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030
RealLindaL wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:So, I would like to expand your support of education to include the bulk of white people as well as the "normal" model of education extended to the black population.

It's good to know you agree: the best and wisest answer is education, education, education -- for ALL people.

Generally, when people speak of education being a vital part of success in life, they are referring to education in a general sense such as getting a major in economics or engineering. I just wanted to point out that America would be closer to "getting whole" as regards our relationship to people of color, if we had a broader knowledge of our own history. I wanted to make a special point of the need to specifically educate the majority of white people along those lines, that's all.

28Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 5:29 pm

RealLindaL

othershoe1030 wrote:I wanted to make a special point of the need to specifically educate the majority of white people along those lines, that's all.

I understood what you were saying. But, although they may not properly act on their knowledge, I think "the majority of white people" know a whole lot more than you give them credit for "along those lines." Sadly, though, for many, old habits and prejudices die hard.

No, I think starting with our young people is precisely where we need to increase education big time, in order to broaden horizons and increase inter-racial and inter-cultural understanding for the future.

29Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 7:21 pm

bigdog

Sal wrote:Uh oh ....

.... this is gonna leave a mark.

There are two story lines about Joe Biden’s long Senate record that are potentially dangerous for him, in that they could threaten his currently strong support among African-Americans. One involves his friendships with segregationists in the Senate — notably James Eastland, Strom Thurmond, and Herman Talmadge — which he can’t seem to stop talking about. And the other is his responsibility for policies that have led to mass incarceration, including the landmark 1994 crime bill.

What could be happening now is that the two stories are converging, as reflected in a New York Times report on how Biden worked closely with his racist colleagues to push crime policy toward mandatory minimum sentences and other “get tough” positions, long before the 1994 bill.

Mr. Biden finally landed a seat on the judiciary panel in February 1977, and wrote to Mr. Eastland again, petitioning to be put in charge of the subcommittee overseeing prisons and sentencing. By year’s end, with Mr. Eastland’s support, he was pushing to narrow judicial discretion by creating a commission to set “presumptive sentences,” and to eliminate pardons and parole. His aim, he told his hometown newspaper, The Wilmington Evening Journal, was to keep defendants “who don’t meet the middle-class criteria of susceptibility to rehabilitation” from being set free.

In 1981, when Democrats lost the Senate, Republicans installed another old bull Southern segregationist as chairman: Mr. Thurmond, a Democrat-turned-Republican from South Carolina, who had run for president in 1948 on the Dixiecrat platform. Mr. Biden became the ranking Democrat on the committee.

Over the next decade — first with Mr. Thurmond as chairman and then Mr. Biden after Democrats won back the Senate in 1986 — the pair wrote roughly a half-dozen crime bills together, laying the groundwork for three of the most significant pieces of crime legislation of the 20th century: the Comprehensive Crime Control Act of 1984, establishing mandatory minimum sentences for drug offenses; the 1986 Anti-Drug Abuse Act, which dictated much harsher sentences for possession of crack than for powder cocaine; and the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, a vast catchall tough-on-crime bill.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/on-crime-biden-worked-closely-with-his-segregationist-pals.html

Yep. I remember when in the deep, dark past of last week the other democratic candidates thought the same thing that you do. They thought that jumping Biden on his work with segregationists and on his views from 40 years ago were going to sink his ship. Oh yeah, for sure.

Then 2 days ago the new polls came out from the end of last week. Biden was suddenly up to 40% from 35% the week before. He'd gotten the whole hearted support from the black leaders in Congress, and all the news did was piss off people like me who are more determined to vote for him than ever. See, I don't even know you Sal, but I don't give a damn what kind of person you were in 1984. I count that as 35 years ago. People grow and people change. I've changed my politics from then, and so has Biden. It's not called flip-flopping either, it's called learning and maturing.

Let the mosquitoes bite Biden all they want to, it's going to take a huge scandal to derail him, and one thing Joe Biden is not, is a man with a lot of scandals in his past. He's a good guy. Even some Republicans think so.

And when those bills were passed, they were extremely popular, like it or not. A couple of them were under Reagan's administration and there was a strong, conservative anti-crime attitude in this country. Americans have learned and changed since then. So have I and so has Biden. And nobody that was going to vote for him yesterday gives a damn about what he did 35 years ago. If you think it's going to chase away black voters, I hate to tell you, but when Obama chose him as his VP, Joe Biden's past sins were washed clean. Tough for those that hate him.

30Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 7:39 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum
I like Joe. I don't want him to be potus... but he's probably the most liked politician. However, I think he'll shoot himself in both feet at some point... maybe multiple times. It was interesting that no one that attacked him really got a poll bump tho. But it was really a contrived outrage... he just pointed to being able to work with anybody to get things done. I'm glad if heads stop exploding whenever a narrative starts up like that based on distorted gotcha bs. Journalism has become clickbait.

31Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 8:15 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030
PkrBum wrote:I like Joe. I don't want him to be potus... but he's probably the most liked politician. However,  I think he'll shoot himself in both feet at some point... maybe multiple times. It was interesting that no one that attacked him really got a poll bump tho. But it was really a contrived outrage... he just pointed to being able to work with anybody to get things done. I'm glad if heads stop exploding whenever a narrative starts up like that based on distorted gotcha bs. Journalism has become clickbait.

Any of the Democrats are better than DJT. It is still incredible to me that this POTUS can be charged by women (what, 22 or so now?) of rape or at least sexual assault and everyone yawns. He and his campaign have nearly 150 contacts with Russian government officials or people close to them and everyone yawns. It must be nice to have all the bad things "baked into" your public image to the point where it makes no difference to your followers. But in the end, and there will be an end, DJT will have to face the music, whether it is Congress, the electorate or law enforcement in New York. It is too early for me to get behind one person yet. I'll vote for the nominee the Democrats decide on no matter who it is.

32Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 8:33 pm

Telstar

Telstar
othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:    Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Pisstr10

Any of the Democrats are better than DJT. It is still incredible to me that this POTUS can be charged by women (what, 22 or so now?) of rape or at least sexual assault and everyone yawns. He and his campaign have nearly 150 contacts with Russian government officials or people close to them and everyone yawns. It must be nice to have all the bad things "baked into" your public image to the point where it makes no difference to your followers. But in the end, and there will be an end, DJT will have to face the music, whether it is Congress, the electorate or law enforcement in New York. It is too early for me to get behind one person yet. I'll vote for the nominee the Democrats decide on no matter who it is.

33Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 9:25 pm

bigdog

PkrBum wrote:I like Joe. I don't want him to be potus... but he's probably the most liked politician. However,  I think he'll shoot himself in both feet at some point... maybe multiple times. It was interesting that no one that attacked him really got a poll bump tho. But it was really a contrived outrage... he just pointed to being able to work with anybody to get things done. I'm glad if heads stop exploding whenever a narrative starts up like that based on distorted gotcha bs. Journalism has become clickbait.

I actually believe you do like Joe, because I know there are Republicans that I have had deep respect for too. People like Biden and McCain who have faced a lot of pain in their lives and gone through it with dignity should be respected, no matter what party they are in.

And yes, gotcha is a daily thing with the news.

BTW, is anyone watching the debates? Beto came on and spent half of his time on his first answer speaking in Spanish. That's a crazy strategy when you're only given a minute or so of time. He didn't really answer the question either, which was about a 70% income tax on the wealthy. I think Beto's star will go down after this debate. He isn't looking good at all.

34Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 9:33 pm

Sal

Sal
Of course, I’m watching.

Agree that Beto is terrible.

Warren is great, Booker has been surprisingly good, Klobuchar has been ok.

35Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 9:43 pm

Telstar

Telstar
Castro is taking on Beto.

36Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/26/2019, 9:57 pm

Sal

Sal
There should be trap doors.

First ones down should be Gabbard and Beto.

Who’s the bald white dude on the far right?

37Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/27/2019, 1:07 am

Telstar

Telstar
Sal wrote:There should be trap doors.

First ones down should be Gabbard and Beto.

Who’s the bald white dude on the far right?
Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Landlo10

Landlord Fields.

38Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/27/2019, 12:05 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030
I think tonight will be more interesting. The campaigns can listen to the feedback from last night and get some pointers.

It's like, not every Democrat with a few good ideas needs to run for the nomination. The lack of time for each person made things sound chopped up to me. I'll be glad when the field gets down to at most, four or five serious candidates. Here's some interesting graphics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/27/all-interruptions-alignments-attacks-first-debate-night/?utm_term=.746638c45ac3

39Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/27/2019, 9:43 pm

Telstar

Telstar
Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Kamala10

"Hey guys, America does not want a food fight, they want to know how we put food on their table."    

BAM!  Right on Kamala!

40Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/27/2019, 9:51 pm

Sal

Sal
Joe looks good.

41Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/27/2019, 9:56 pm

Telstar

Telstar
A lot more spirited than last night's debate.

42Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/27/2019, 11:06 pm

Telstar

Telstar
Big night for Harris. Joe looks old. Bernie faded. Gillibrand still makes me sick.

43Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/27/2019, 11:15 pm

Telstar

Telstar

44Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/28/2019, 12:53 am

Telstar

Telstar

45Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/28/2019, 1:00 am

Telstar

Telstar

46Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/28/2019, 2:05 am

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:Joe looks good.

He looked OK but he just is not a smooth speaker and has trouble getting his thoughts across without stumbling.   Not a natural born statesman, I'm afraid. Souinds rather bumbling, in fact, which only serves to emphasize his age.

47Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/28/2019, 2:06 am

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:Big night for Harris. Joe looks old. Bernie faded. Gillibrand still makes me sick.

Pretty much agree on all counts.

48Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/28/2019, 3:23 am

RealLindaL

Agree with this also:

Winners and losers from night 2 of the 1st Democratic debate

49Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/28/2019, 3:42 am

Deus X

Deus X
Telstar wrote:Big night for Harris.

Fuck a BUNCH of Kamala Harris! She's a goddamn prosecutor. The jails and private prisons are full because of people like her. She's nothing but another goddamn shrieking harpy.

50Democrats Debate lineup - Page 2 Empty Re: Democrats Debate lineup on 6/28/2019, 3:47 am

Telstar

Telstar
RealLindaL wrote:
Telstar wrote:Big night for Harris. Joe looks old. Bernie faded. Gillibrand still makes me sick.

Pretty much agree on all counts.

'NRA is not the enemy' Joe Biden

Maybe if he doesn't make POTUS he can run for president of the NRA. Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum