This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Mayor Pete

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Mayor Pete Empty Mayor Pete on 4/20/2019, 3:02 am

My son recommended this well-written if overly long and relentlessly critical article, and I'd be interested in the comments of any of you (speed readers?) capable of absorbing most (or even some) of it.   As for me, I started out somewhat skeptical of Buttigieg as a man of real substance, and ended up even more so.

What do you think?

ALL ABOUT PETE

View user profile

2Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/20/2019, 5:49 am

RealLindaL wrote:My son recommended this well-written if overly long and relentlessly critical article, and I'd be interested in the comments of any of you (speed readers?) capable of absorbing most (or even some) of it.   As for me, I started out somewhat skeptical of Buttigieg as a man of real substance, and ended up even more so.

What do you think?

ALL ABOUT PETE



Too early to tell. I'll stick with Harris. Might change my mind at the end of June when they hold the Dem debates. The only certain thing is ABT, Anyone But Trump.

View user profile

3Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/20/2019, 9:53 am

RealLindaL wrote:My son recommended this well-written if overly long and relentlessly critical article, and I'd be interested in the comments of any of you (speed readers?) capable of absorbing most (or even some) of it.   As for me, I started out somewhat skeptical of Buttigieg as a man of real substance, and ended up even more so.

What do you think?

ALL ABOUT PETE

I think you're gonna get slammed by z for posting a piece penned by a Bernie shill (I posted this same article a while back Razz ).

Valid criticism taken.

However, this is the part that resonated with me ...


I don’t trust former McKinsey consultants. I don’t trust military intelligence officers. And I don’t trust the type of people likely to appear on “40 under 40” lists, the valedictorian-to-Harvard-to-Rhodes-Scholarship types who populate the American elite. I don’t trust people who get flattering reams of newspaper profiles and are pitched as the Next Big Thing That You Must Pay Attention To, and I don’t trust wunderkinds who become successful too early. Why? Because I am somewhat cynical about the United States meritocracy. Few people amass these kind of résumés if they are the type to openly challenge authority. Noam Chomsky says that the factors predicting success in our “meritocracy” are a “combination of greed, cynicism, obsequiousness and subordination, lack of curiosity and independence of mind, [and] self-serving disregard for others.” So when journalists see “Harvard” and think “impressive,” I see it and think “uh-oh.”

I just don't like the guy.

He comes off as a really smart and extremely privileged and entitled white dude.

I don't think that's the right look for the Democratic party in 2020.

And to be completely politically incorrect, I don't believe America is prepared to elect a gay guy. Don't get me wrong, I wish I did believe it, but I just don't.

I'd take him over Bernie, but I think there are more qualified and more appealing candidates in the field.

My wife says he reminds her of Howdy Doody, but I think more Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

View user profile

4Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/20/2019, 12:27 pm

Will take some time to get used to this in our House.

View user profile

5Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/20/2019, 12:47 pm


Democrats are increasingly critical of Israel. Not Pete Buttigieg.

Buttigieg’s staunch support of Israel bucks the Democratic party’s trend.
By Alex Ward@AlexWardVoxalex.ward@vox.com Apr 3, 2019, 3:45pm EDT

"Pete Buttigieg may be a rising star in the 2020 Democratic field, but his strong pro-Israel views may put him at odds with the increasingly pro-Palestinian left flank in his own party.

The 37-year-old openly gay mayor of South Bend, Indiana, has in the past described Israel as a model for the US in how to deal with security threats. He’s blamed most of the suffering in Gaza on Hamas, the Palestinian Islamist political organization and militant group that has run the territory since 2007. And he’s strongly rejected condemnations of Israel — and US support for it — made by progressive lawmakers.

That’s not to say he’s completely ignored the plight of Palestinians — he hasn’t. During a March campaign stop in Iowa, Buttigieg said he wants America to help make “a world where Israelis and Palestinians are able to live in peace side by side.” Overall, though, Buttigieg has shown a willingness to back Israel.

That puts him in stark contrast with the more progressive wing of his own party. Poll after poll has shown that liberal Democratic primary voters are less sympathetic to Israel than they were in years past. It also shows he disagrees with some first-term Representatives, particularly Ilhan Omar (D-MN) and Rashida Tlaib (D-MI).

Several of his rivals for the 2020 Democratic nomination, most notably Sen. Bernie Sanders, are also far more critical of Israel than Buttigieg. Sanders has repeatedly condemned Israel for violence at its border with Gaza, where time and time again Israeli forces have killed mostly unarmed protesters — including women and children — pleading for an end to the decade-long Israeli blockade of food, fuel, and medicine.

A senior foreign policy adviser for Buttigieg told me that “Pete doesn’t see the Israel-Palestinian issue as a zero-sum game” and while he doesn’t support the politics of far-right Israli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, he still supports Israel and views it as an ally and democratic state.

Still, the mayor may enjoy surprising support now, but it’s possible his Israel views will doom him among Democrats in the end.

Buttigieg continues to make many pro-Israel statements

The former Navy intelligence officer has spoken about Israel openly for at least a year.

Last May, Buttigieg took a trip to Israel with other mayors that was organized by the American Jewish Committee, a global Jewish advocacy organization. Shortly after his return, Buttigieg was interviewed for the organization’s podcast. That was tough timing, as just four days earlier Israeli forces had killed dozens of Palestinians protesting the opening of the US embassy in Jerusalem.

Still, Buttigieg had nothing but high praise for Israel, suggesting its way of handling security threats could be a good model for the US..."


https://www.vox.com/2019/4/3/18293545/pete-buttigieg-democrats-president-israel-omar-palestine

***********

This alone is enough for me to reject him. I suspect he's courting the Israelis as a way to get $$$$. Also, he looks like an overgrown frat boy. No.

View user profile

6Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/21/2019, 3:19 am

A troubling story from the New York Times (NOT a Bernie shill):

Pete Buttigieg Fired South Bend’s Black Police Chief. It Still Stings.

View user profile

7Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/21/2019, 3:53 am

I doubt Mayor Pete is ready for the top spot of the ticket yet. Maybe the VP spot if the Dem nominee is a woman. Twisted Evil

View user profile

8Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/21/2019, 12:52 pm

Oh, fergodsakes! You might as well put one of the Village People on the ticket!

View user profile

9Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/21/2019, 1:26 pm

Deus X wrote:Oh, fergodsakes! You might as well put one of the Village People on the ticket!





Maybe. Better than the cock sucking, Putin loving Klansman who is in there now. Twisted Evil

View user profile

10Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/21/2019, 5:53 pm

I think the only Democratic ticket guaranteed to win is Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

And I don't think Americans are ready to elect a gay guy either, even if he didn't have all those other Zionist sounding issues.  I actually like Mayor Pete, I think he's bright, forward thinking, and might make a good POTUS with a lot of older people advising him. But he won't be elected. Number one priority is getting Donald Trump out of the White House, and Biden still polls as the person who can do that.The younger people in the party are going to have to wait their turn one more election. They can't go against Trump. As the old saying goes "Old Age and Treachery always overcome youth and skill."
Plus, Biden is my first pick anyway. I'd prefer Biden and Booker, but I'm afraid there may have to be a woman on the ticket this year too, just to make the young people happy.

View user profile

11Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/21/2019, 5:59 pm

bigdog wrote:I think the only Democratic ticket guaranteed to win is Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

And I don't think Americans are ready to elect a gay guy either, even if he didn't have all those other Zionist sounding issues.  I actually like Mayor Pete, I think he's bright, forward thinking, and might make a good POTUS with a lot of older people advising him. But he won't be elected. Number one priority is getting Donald Trump out of the White House, and Biden still polls as the person who can do that.The younger people in the party are going to have to wait their turn one more election. They can't go against Trump. As the old saying goes "Old Age and Treachery always overcome youth and skill."
Plus, Biden is my first pick anyway. I'd prefer Biden and Booker, but I'm afraid there may have to be a woman on the ticket this year too, just to make the young people happy.



How does Biden feel about legalizing pot?

View user profile

12Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/21/2019, 6:13 pm

I hear Mayor Pete is comparing Bernie's Bots to Trump's Trolls. Cool. Twisted Evil

View user profile

13Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/22/2019, 9:07 am

Yeah, I pretty much already cycled a magazine on that article a week or so ago. There are a couple of posts in this thread about that: http://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t30400-how-democrats-are-losing-2020-already-trump-must-not-win-reelection-but-the-candidates-lining-up-to-beat-him-are-giving-a-good-chance

It's total hit-job horseshit.

Basically any candidate who becomes a threat to Bernie's "coronation" is going to become a target... both by Bernie-cultists and by Russian trollfarms who are trying to help him out because they want him to be the Democratic nominee because he'd get squashed. If someone starts getting some good poll numbers, you'll start seeing negative articles on 'em... especially if they're toward the more moderate side, like Mayor Pete or Klobachar or Biden. The only reason we haven't heard that Klobachar kicked a nun to death or something is because she hasn't ranked sufficiently yet. If she does, then the hit jobs will be coming.

And it'll be lucky if it's just articles. The Biden thing, for instance. Now, I'm not saying Biden's behavior isn't creepy -- it is. But he's hardly any kind of predator... he's just "handsy" and he most definitely needs to cut that shit out. But did the timing make anybody suspicious.

Did you look, at all, into who accused him?

Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/LucyFloresNV/posts/1638282836394041

https://mynews4.com/news/local/lucy-flores-reports-windfall-after-help-from-bernie-sanders


This is the kind of stuff we're going to be seeing until Sanders is out of this race. And, given the crazy Jonestown zeal of some of his followers, we'll be lucky if it stops even then.

Like or dislike any other candidate ya want, but know this for certain: Bernie Sanders is Donald Trump's best bet, by a long shot.

View user profile

14Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/22/2019, 10:36 am

zsomething wrote:Like or dislike any other candidate ya want, but know this for certain:  Bernie Sanders is Donald Trump's best bet, by a long shot.

Agree that's absolutely the bottom line.

View user profile

15Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/22/2019, 11:31 am

zsomething wrote:Yeah, I pretty much already cycled a magazine on that article a week or so ago.   There are a couple of posts in this thread about that:  http://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t30400-how-democrats-are-losing-2020-already-trump-must-not-win-reelection-but-the-candidates-lining-up-to-beat-him-are-giving-a-good-chance

It's total hit-job horseshit.

Basically any candidate who becomes a threat to Bernie's "coronation" is going to become a target... both by Bernie-cultists and by Russian trollfarms who are trying to help him out because they want him to be the Democratic nominee because he'd get squashed.   If someone starts getting some good poll numbers, you'll start seeing negative articles on 'em... especially if they're toward the more moderate side, like Mayor Pete or Klobachar or Biden.  The only reason we haven't heard that Klobachar kicked a nun to death or something is because she hasn't ranked sufficiently yet.  If she does, then the hit jobs will be coming.

And it'll be lucky if it's just articles.   The Biden thing, for instance.  Now, I'm not saying Biden's behavior isn't creepy -- it is.   But he's hardly any kind of predator... he's just "handsy" and he most definitely needs to cut that shit out.   But did the timing make anybody suspicious.

Did you look, at all, into who accused him?

Check it out:   https://www.facebook.com/LucyFloresNV/posts/1638282836394041

https://mynews4.com/news/local/lucy-flores-reports-windfall-after-help-from-bernie-sanders


This is the kind of stuff we're going to be seeing until Sanders is out of this race.  And, given the crazy Jonestown zeal of some of his followers, we'll be lucky if it stops even then.  

Like or dislike any other candidate ya want, but know this for certain:  Bernie Sanders is Donald Trump's best bet, by a long shot.





Does ol' miss really have that many Bernie bots? Petey poohs?

View user profile

16Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/22/2019, 5:34 pm

Telstar wrote:
bigdog wrote:I think the only Democratic ticket guaranteed to win is Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

And I don't think Americans are ready to elect a gay guy either, even if he didn't have all those other Zionist sounding issues.  I actually like Mayor Pete, I think he's bright, forward thinking, and might make a good POTUS with a lot of older people advising him. But he won't be elected. Number one priority is getting Donald Trump out of the White House, and Biden still polls as the person who can do that.The younger people in the party are going to have to wait their turn one more election. They can't go against Trump. As the old saying goes "Old Age and Treachery always overcome youth and skill."
Plus, Biden is my first pick anyway. I'd prefer Biden and Booker, but I'm afraid there may have to be a woman on the ticket this year too, just to make the young people happy.



How does Biden feel about legalizing pot?




I have to go along with these New York voters. Pot just isn't the only issue out there. Plus, the states are taking care of the pot laws one at a time. Winning is way more important than any single issue in this election.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY-Democrats-Progressive-President-Candidate-Weed-Legalization-Joe-Biden-2020-Poll-506767831.html


And I get a lot of relief from CBD anyway. I don't necessarily need the THC. I can buy my CBD across the street from the Pensacola Civic Center in a perfectly respectable store. No problem at all.
I am for legalizing pot, but it's just not at the top of my agenda anymore. Not compared to getting rid of Donald Trump, anyway.

View user profile

17Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/23/2019, 11:35 am


Pete Buttigieg Trivializes the Impact of Trade on US Job Losses


BY
Dean Baker, Truthout
PUBLISHED
April 22, 2019

In his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination, Pete Buttigieg has been telling audiences that the U.S. lost six times as many jobs due to automation than trade from 2000 to 2010, according to The Washington Post. This is literally true, but for all practical purposes it is a very big lie.

The way in which it is true is that we always lose jobs to “automation,” which is known to economists as productivity growth. Productivity growth averages around 2 percent annually (it has been closer to 1 percent since 2005). If productivity grows by 2 percent, this means that we can produce the same amount of goods and services with 2 percent fewer worker hours.

This is usually thought to be good news. Productivity growth theoretically should allow workers to enjoy higher living standards, although most workers have not gotten their share of gains over the last four decades. If productivity increases by 2 percent, it means that workers can get a 2 percent increase in their weekly pay or work 2 percent fewer hours for the same pay, or some mix of higher pay and shorter hours.

In the years from 2000 to 2007, the United States lost 3.4 million manufacturing jobs, more than 20 percent of the total. Note that this is before the Great Recession. This job loss was due to the explosion of the trade deficit in these years, which peaked at just under 6 percent of GDP in 2006 and 2007. (This would be equal to a trade deficit of $1.2 trillion in today’s economy.)

While manufacturing has been declining as a share of total employment since 1970, there was actually relatively little change in the number of jobs in manufacturing over the three decades from 1970 to 2000. There were cyclical ups and downs, but increased demand for manufactured goods roughly offset the increases in productivity growth to keep manufacturing employment nearly constant.

This changed in 2000, as the admission of China to the World Trade Organization, coupled with a seriously overvalued dollar, led the trade deficit to explode even as the economy was slowing. From 2000 to 2007, imports from China and other countries displaced domestically produced goods, leading to massive job loss in places like Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

The loss of relatively high-paying manufacturing jobs devastated whole communities, as many lost their major employer, with nothing to replace it. This devastation is seen even more clearly if we look at what happened to the number of unionized jobs in manufacturing over these years.

The number of manufacturing workers represented by a union fell by more than 1.1 million from 2000 to 2007, almost 40 percent of the total. These were the better-paying jobs that typically allowed workers to enjoy a comfortable middle-class lifestyle.

Buttigieg’s efforts to trivialize this job loss by making the comparison to the jobs lost to automation would be like telling the Nebraska farmers that the recent flooding was no big deal, since the rains that caused the flooding were just a small fraction of the total rainfall in a year. That’s a true statement but entirely irrelevant to the damage caused by the flooding.

While automation is (wrongly) seen as a sort of natural outcome of the progress of technology, trade is explicitly steered by government policy through trade deals.

Specifically, the U.S. signed trade deals that opened domestic manufacturing workers to direct competition with low-paid Chinese workers. At the same time, we ensured that doctors and other highly paid professionals were protected from such competition.

Furthermore, when China and other countries deliberately propped up the dollar against their currencies to gain an advantage in trade, the U.S. government looked the other way. As Eswar Prasad, who was then the chief International Monetary Fund official dealing with China said, “There were other dimensions of China’s economic policies that were seen as more important to U.S. economic and business interests, … [such as] greater market access, better intellectual property rights protection, easier access to investment opportunities, etc.”

In other words, the loss of millions of manufacturing jobs to imports was an explicit political choice, because our leaders decided it was more important to promote investment opportunities in China for Goldman Sachs and to increase protection for Pfizer’s drug patents.

We can’t reverse this disaster. Even if the trade deficit were to fall, the new jobs in manufacturing would not pay as much as the ones that were lost and probably would not be in the same places. But, at the very least, we should be able to talk honestly about what happened and why. Instead, Buttigieg seems intent on going the route of denial.

https://truthout.org/articles/pete-buttigieg-trivializes-the-impact-of-trade-on-us-job-losses/

***********

View user profile

18Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/23/2019, 11:39 am

bigdog wrote:
Telstar wrote:
bigdog wrote:I think the only Democratic ticket guaranteed to win is Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

And I don't think Americans are ready to elect a gay guy either, even if he didn't have all those other Zionist sounding issues.  I actually like Mayor Pete, I think he's bright, forward thinking, and might make a good POTUS with a lot of older people advising him. But he won't be elected. Number one priority is getting Donald Trump out of the White House, and Biden still polls as the person who can do that.The younger people in the party are going to have to wait their turn one more election. They can't go against Trump. As the old saying goes "Old Age and Treachery always overcome youth and skill."
Plus, Biden is my first pick anyway. I'd prefer Biden and Booker, but I'm afraid there may have to be a woman on the ticket this year too, just to make the young people happy.


Weaker version of Hemp. Hempworx is a better quality.



How does Biden feel about legalizing pot?
 



I have to go along with these New York voters. Pot just isn't the only issue out there. Plus, the states are taking care of the pot laws one at a time. Winning is way more important than any single issue in this election.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY-Democrats-Progressive-President-Candidate-Weed-Legalization-Joe-Biden-2020-Poll-506767831.html


And I get a lot of relief from CBD anyway. I don't necessarily need the THC. I can buy my CBD across the street from the Pensacola Civic Center in a perfectly respectable store. No problem at all.
I am for legalizing pot, but it's just not at the top of my agenda anymore. Not compared to getting rid of Donald Trump, anyway.

View user profile

19Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/23/2019, 3:26 pm

So Joani, what is your comment, I'm wondering?

View user profile

20Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/23/2019, 5:32 pm

Dean Baker from Truthout is another in-the-tank Bernie shill. Doesn't take much to check behind him, a Yahoo search will do it.

As soon as anybody's ratings become a threat to fucking Bernie, they'll start getting attacked. And the Russians and Republicans will help, because the only people who want Bernie Sanders to be the Democratic nominee more than Bernie supporters... are Trump supporters.

View user profile

21Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/23/2019, 5:54 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
bigdog wrote:
Telstar wrote:
bigdog wrote:I think the only Democratic ticket guaranteed to win is Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.

And I don't think Americans are ready to elect a gay guy either, even if he didn't have all those other Zionist sounding issues.  I actually like Mayor Pete, I think he's bright, forward thinking, and might make a good POTUS with a lot of older people advising him. But he won't be elected. Number one priority is getting Donald Trump out of the White House, and Biden still polls as the person who can do that.The younger people in the party are going to have to wait their turn one more election. They can't go against Trump. As the old saying goes "Old Age and Treachery always overcome youth and skill."
Plus, Biden is my first pick anyway. I'd prefer Biden and Booker, but I'm afraid there may have to be a woman on the ticket this year too, just to make the young people happy.


Weaker version of Hemp. Hempworx is a better quality.



How does Biden feel about legalizing pot?
 



I have to go along with these New York voters. Pot just isn't the only issue out there. Plus, the states are taking care of the pot laws one at a time. Winning is way more important than any single issue in this election.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NY-Democrats-Progressive-President-Candidate-Weed-Legalization-Joe-Biden-2020-Poll-506767831.html


And I get a lot of relief from CBD anyway. I don't necessarily need the THC. I can buy my CBD across the street from the Pensacola Civic Center in a perfectly respectable store. No problem at all.
I am for legalizing pot, but it's just not at the top of my agenda anymore. Not compared to getting rid of Donald Trump, anyway.


My comment was meant to be poste at the end of Bigdogs post. It was in reference to the CBD store on Wright St. I have tried there 750 CBD oil and 1000mg Medterra brand. Hempworx 500 or 750mg is my preference. To me, it looks s more beneficial.

View user profile

22Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/23/2019, 6:01 pm

As far as medical marijuana I believe it helps. CBD oil only has .03% THC which will not even show on a drug test the THC is not the ingredient that helps it is the hemp that is beneficial.

View user profile

23Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/23/2019, 6:07 pm

http://wp.studeri.org/2014/11/gulf-breeze-mom-weighs-charlottes-web-ruling/

Friends of mine made a difference for the life of their child RayAnn Moseley.

View user profile

24Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/23/2019, 7:36 pm

It has definitely made a difference in my life as well. I have severe arthritis in my feet and had taken cortisone shots plus some ultrasound treatments that helped me for about 5 months at a time. My husband and I both decided to try the CBD (for his knees and my feet) when we were In Key West in October and we were amazed at the pain relief it gave us both. He has had a knee replacement since then, but I haven't had to see my foot doctor at all and sleep very peacefully with the CBD only for my arthritis.
You have to be careful where you get it though. I've gotten some through the mail that I doubt had any actual cbd in the whole bottle. It's a big risk for a scam if you're not careful. I do trust the store on Wright street so far.
And as a secondary benefit, my glaucoma numbers have gone down and stabilized. One of my eye doctors says it might be the CBD, the other says he thinks I would have had to use THC to make that happen. But I didn't. And they did. So I'll probably use it the rest of my life.

View user profile

25Mayor Pete Empty Re: Mayor Pete on 4/24/2019, 6:46 pm

Cancer patients are benefiting from THC!

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum