Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Please remain seated until the aircraft comes to a complete stop...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deus X

Deus X

Hundreds of TSA screeners, working without pay, calling out sick at major airports

Hundreds of Transportation Security Administration officers, who are required to work without paychecks through the partial government shutdown, have called out from work this week from at least four major airports, according to two senior agency officials and three TSA employee union officials.

The mass call outs could inevitably mean air travel is less secure, especially as the shutdown enters its second week with no clear end to the political stalemate in sight.
[...]
"This problem of call outs is really going to explode over the next week or two when employees miss their first paycheck," a union official at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport told CNN. "TSA officers are telling the union they will find another way to make money. That means calling out to work other jobs."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/shutdown-tsa-screening/index.html

Is this a great country or what!

polecat

polecat

''The mass call outs could inevitably mean air travel is less secure''

If TSA is what you are counting on for ''Secure'' travel then you have not flown for a long time. Most look like they should be slopping the hordes down at Golden Corral when there not in line there themselves.

Deus X

Deus X

polecat wrote:''The mass call outs could inevitably mean air travel is less secure''

If TSA is what you are counting on for ''Secure'' travel then you have not flown for a long time. Most look like they should be slopping the hordes down at Golden Corral when there not in line there themselves.  

The TSA has been bullshit for years. This is from a 2015 article:

Confessions of a former TSA officer

MY PAINED RELATIONSHIP with government security started in 2007. I needed a job to help pay my way through college in Chicago, and the Transportation Security Administration's callback, for a job as a security officer at O'Hare International Airport, was the first one I received. It was just a temporary thing, I told myself — side income for a year or two as I worked toward a degree in creative writing. It wasn't like a recession would come along and lock me into the job or anything.

I hated it from the beginning. It was a job that had me patting down the crotches of children, the elderly, and even infants as part of the post-9/11 airport security show. I confiscated jars of homemade apple butter on the pretense that they could pose threats to national security. I was even required to confiscate nail clippers from airline pilots — the implied logic being that pilots could use the nail clippers to hijack the very planes they were flying.

Once, in 2008, I had to confiscate a bottle of alcohol from a group of Marines coming home from Afghanistan. It was celebration champagne intended for one of the men in the group — a young, decorated soldier. He was in a wheelchair, both legs lost to an I.E.D., and it fell to me to tell this kid who would never walk again that his homecoming champagne had to be taken away in the name of national security.

I quickly discovered I was working for an agency whose morale was among the lowest in the U.S. government. In private, most TSA officers I talked to told me they felt the agency's day-to-day operations represented an abuse of public trust and funds.

https://theweek.com/articles/441310/confessions-former-tsa-officer

zsomething

What's funny to me is, Trump is claiming that most of the people affected by the shutdown are Democrats... and at the same time he claims that most of the people affected by the shutdown are on his side 100%.

Laughing

O' course, he's doing what he always does and talking out his ass.

And he's not correct about most of the people affected being Democrats, anyway  - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/government-shutdown-hitting-u-s-states-hardest-124420047.html

Please remain seated until the aircraft comes to a complete stop... 9da47de97bafbac7bca6d56fff06a519

Anybody think Mississippi and Alabama are full of Democrats? Alaska? Pretty much all the red states are still red and the blue states are still blue... Rolling Eyes

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I'm surprised that Texas and Georgia aren't pink...both Dallas/Ft. Worth and Atlanta are hubs. I'm just glad my daughter left town before all this started.

RealLindaL

Floridatexan wrote:
I'm surprised that Texas and Georgia aren't pink...both Dallas/Ft. Worth and Atlanta are hubs.  I'm just glad my daughter left town before all this started.  

Georgia IS pink (well, mauve), ranking at No. 18.

RealLindaL

zsomething wrote:What's funny to me is, Trump is claiming that most of the people affected by the shutdown are Democrats... and at the same time he claims that most of the people affected by the shutdown are on his side 100%.

Laughing

O' course, he's doing what he always does and talking out his ass.

Exactly so.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum