This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

America's Cup team training in Pensacola

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:48 am

Just read this article tonight and found it pretty exciting.  It also occasioned a major "Aha!" moment:

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2018/12/13/americas-cup-sailing-team-american-magic-training-pensacola/2302754002/

The reason for the "aha"?   Well, there’ve been two cars with New York plates in the driveway of the vacation rental house next door for a couple of months now, and we’ve wondered about it, especially since the renters themselves are rarely home during the day, are almost never seen walking down toward the beach, and have just generally been a minor mystery to us.   Once in a while they get visitors – also with NY plates – which has only made us scratch our heads harder.

Until now.

This could be huge for the Pensacola area, depending, of course, on what happens in 2021.  Very, very interesting.

Would've put this post in the "Local News" forum but was afraid no one would see it.  Besides, to me this particular sports info is way better than reading about football or basketball.  Smile

View user profile

2 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:22 am

Wow.

View user profile

3 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 am

RealLindaL wrote:Just read this article tonight and found it pretty exciting.  It also occasioned a major "Aha!" moment:

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2018/12/13/americas-cup-sailing-team-american-magic-training-pensacola/2302754002/

The reason for the "aha"?   Well, there’ve been two cars with New York plates in the driveway of the vacation rental house next door for a couple of months now, and we’ve wondered about it, especially since the renters themselves are rarely home during the day, are almost never seen walking down toward the beach, and have just generally been a minor mystery to us.   Once in a while they get visitors – also with NY plates – which has only made us scratch our heads harder.

Until now.

This could be huge for the Pensacola area, depending, of course, on what happens in 2021.  Very, very interesting.

Would've put this post in the "Local News" forum but was afraid no one would see it.  Besides, to me this particular sports info is way better than reading about football or basketball.  Smile

View user profile

4 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 am

A bunch of silver spooners playing with their toys. Nope give me a kid who has nothing and is mano mano.........basketball, football, and baseball. I had boats and this sport is not for the common man who has a pontoon boat, and I understand the allure of sailing, but I would rather watch a production line making buggy whips....both having the same relevancy to modern society. My BIL is a big sailor and they have races on their lake with small sail boats and it is hilarious to watch the emulation of the silver spooners.

View user profile

5 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Sea, why's a person with your money doing all this uptight sour grape-ing about people with wealth? There have always been haves and have-nots in the world, but the haves are people, too -- and by the way you have NO IDEA how each of them came about their wealth. NO IDEA.

Seems awfully judgemental and small-minded to me.

View user profile

6 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:30 pm

I like to see kids challenge their abilities and accomplish their goals. My
daughter’s middle school program is strong. All her girls that went into high school, from last year mage the junior varsity team this year.

My grandson, a freshman is almost 6’2 and a good player, he, however, didn’t sign up for the training program. He was shocked he didn’t make the team this year. He learned a lesson....you have to work hard to be a competitive contender.

View user profile

7 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Seems awfully judgemental and small-minded to me.

If I was judgmental and small-minded, I would correct your spelling of the word judgmental. You often make that mistake with the e which does not belong in the word judgement in modern English, but if you were living in 17th century, your spelling would be acceptable. Now a small minded person would ignore the wealthy and their stupid games. The country club I belonged to for twenty years had a famous balloonist who set records around the world as the jet setters like Richard Branson pushed these eternal wealth games to garner excitement for the boredom of inherited money. He was this wally cox little man who looked like a greeter at the Wal Mart and in the end his skills were so lacking in aviation he ran his plane into a mountain.....100% his fault and 100% dead, and while he played his games I was working three on three tournaments in the projects.....you ever ref kids who have NO parental control.....nope his house was on fifty acres of woods with a high fence and gate around his property. Yea, I have a low opinion of the Cup.

View user profile

8 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:48 pm

You just did correct my spelling of judgmental, so I guess, by your standard, that makes you small-minded and judgmental indeed.  
And apparently the spell checker within this forum software considers either spelling acceptable, since it didn't red-line the word when I typed it.
But just so you know, if I had a dollar for every misspelling, word misuse and/or other grammatical error you've been guilty of over the years here, I'd be a rich woman myself.  I sit on my hands regularly to keep from correcting you.
I'll just add that the one thing I find comforting in reading your rambling rant is that the same old hard-headed curmudgeon we've come to know and love over more than a decade is obviously still alive and well inside that cancer-ravaged body.  
Good.  Keep it up, just so we'll know it's still you.

View user profile

9 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:37 pm

2seaoat wrote:A bunch of silver spooners playing with their toys.  Nope give me a kid who has nothing and is mano mano.........basketball, football, and baseball.  I had boats and this sport is not for the common man who has a pontoon boat, and I understand the allure of sailing, but I would rather watch a production line making buggy whips....both having the same relevancy to modern society.  My BIL is a big sailor and they have races on their lake with small sail boats and it is hilarious to watch the emulation of the silver spooners.

What is wrong with you? Sailing is wonderful and requires a lot of skill. I had been on plenty of boats but had never sailed until I moved to Corpus Christi, where I had a friend with a 36' sailboat who taught me. It wasn't competitive, but we did sometimes follow the regatta to NAS. My FIL had a Hobie Cat that he liked to take across the sound off Navarre Beach, and several local friends had larger sailboats...one lived on his. For the most part, there's no fuel, so, no pollution...and where do you think the expression "smooth sailing" comes from? Because it is usually that...no bouncing across the water. I have many great memories...and yes, it can be expensive, but so is a large fishing boat.

View user profile

10 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm

I'll just add that the one thing I find comforting in reading your rambling rant is that the same old hard-headed curmudgeon

Very perceptive. I'm back. I have decided that with the time I have left I am going to have fun and live.....and you know how you make me smile when you are piszed at me. I do not use spellcheck on any of my posts, and often only correct if I read it a second time, but I smile every time you make an error in grammar or spelling.....I almost never correct unless it would be constructive, but I know it irritates you so I have never corrected your improper use of words and spellings because we all live in glass houses....but my house has bullet proof plexi and I think you need to board up when trouble approaches.....you tend not to see anything.

Tex.....sailing is beautiful and requires skill. So does polo. I have a polo club down the road from our old house before we downsized, and a person I used to share office space would take her horses and compete. She was not a wealthy person, but eighty percent of those playing polo were 1%....so I do not have disdain for rich people who have earned their wealth, but with the drastic cuts in the Estate tax wealth is simply pooling in the one percent as taxes are cut so the wealthy can sail and play polo.

View user profile

11 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:21 pm

2seaoat wrote:Very perceptive.  I'm back.  I have decided that with the time I have left I am going to have fun and live.....and you know how you make me smile when you are piszed at me.  I do not use spellcheck on any of my posts, and often only correct if I read it a second time, but I smile every time you make an error in grammar or spelling.....I almost never correct unless it would be constructive, but I know it irritates you so I have never corrected your improper use of words and spellings

By all means have fun, and feel free to try catching spelling or grammatical errors of mine, though I promise they're exceedingly rare since that's about the only thing I know how to do well in this world.  I'm far more inclined to think you believe you've caught me in errors because you, in fact, are the mistaken one.   I also think the majority of forum member would agree with that assessment.  

(BTW I don't use spell check per se either, but if you'll notice, the system will automatically red-line anything it considers an error while you're typing.  Your problems with the language, though, go way beyond the occasional misspelling.   Smile )

View user profile

12 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Yes, my writings on this forum are fast and hurried in real time. It is what I call forum writing. The difficulty I had with forum writing which is sloppy is that it can slip into your sentence structure in business letters which in my business is not allowable. I tend to also get sloppy on emails, and fail to be as disciplined as I need to be when doing business. However, it is not your spelling, or even mistakes in grammar, but the use of alternative spellings for completely different words. Example: the principle let the students out early. Your errors over the years were numerous, and I was tempted to respond with corrections, but it was mostly sloppy, which is within the forum normal range. You probably have mastered the English language better than almost all on this forum, and loved when you would write about the tax issues because your writing was cogent and tight........but forum writings mistakes.....It smells a bit petty, but certainly some posts on this forum have writers which any correction is futile.

View user profile

13 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:06 am

2seaoat wrote: However, it is not your spelling, or even mistakes in grammar, but the use of alternative spellings for completely different words.    Example:  the principle let the students out early.

I believe you must have me confused with someone else, sir. Perhaps yourself? If you'll forgive the bragging, my word usage is impeccable. There may be a very rare slip of the fingers -- a typo, i.e. -- but you'd be hard pressed to find one.

View user profile

14 Re: America's Cup team training in Pensacola on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 am

And in your case it's not only frequent word usage mistakes, but even more common sentence structure errors.  Just one example from above (senseless portion highlighted):

It smells a bit petty, but certainly some posts on this forum have writers which any correction is futile.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum