This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

thanksgiving plans

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 thanksgiving plans on 11/17/2018, 9:22 am

We will go to my daughter's house wed night where my wife helps prepare the meal. We have learned that five people will not be able to make it as my sil's sister and her kids cannot make it. My son is smoking a turkey in his smoker and my daughter is doing a traditional turkey. We will cook our turkey for leftovers friday and make the most wonderful turkey sandwiches for the next week, with left over marshmellow sweat potatoes.......like candy.....it melts in your mouth.......I could skip thanksgiving meal just to do the left overs......they taste better.

Celebrate your families and friends. Give thanks for the abundance we share. I give simple thanks to be able to share my last thanksgiving with all those I love.
So much to be thankful despite the cards dealt. My wife is going to get a bottle of Silver oak wine, and although I cannot drink I will have dry turkey breast with a hundred dollar bottle of wine.......well at least a small glass of wine. I hope all of you find solace and comfort in your families this week. Also, splurge on some silver oak.......life is too F'ing short even though a red should not usually be with a white meat like turkey, but I guarantee you a special experience as you celebrate all the things you are thankful. Silver Oak will be one of those life experiences you will never regret. We are able to get hundred dollar bottles for fifty as the birthday party tonight the husband is personal friends with the owner of Silver Oak and gets us fifty dollar bottles.....when he stays at the winery visiting his friend. I will die unhappy if I fail to have any forum members bring the incredible experience of sharing a bottle. Happy Thanksgiving.

View user profile

2 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/17/2018, 2:00 pm

Thank you Mr. Oats for the uplifting spirit you bring to this Thanksgiving despite the dire/dreadful circumstance in which you are in . . . . may you enjoy those leftovers till they are gone my friend . . . . I, too, love sweet potatoes, particularly on Thanksgiving. My wife is making oyster dressing which I dearly love although cannot taste it from the chemo but love it nevertheless. The other things she is preparing is made-from-scratch cranberries but I admire you so much for your unbelievable personal strength and enduring courage along with your ability to appreciate all manner of things beginning and ending with your family.
My wife is also a wine drinker and I just may take your recommendation and spring for a bottle of Silver Oak, if so I will tip my glass to you sir!

View user profile

3 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/17/2018, 2:07 pm

You will never regret the silver oak, and the sweet potato is best at thanksgiving. People just do not understand how unpleasant loss of taste can be, but I can tell you after losing it for over a half year nothing is better than each day you can taste a little bit more.

View user profile

4 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/17/2018, 2:33 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Keep your spirits high.., you are both well loved.

View user profile

5 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/17/2018, 7:39 pm

Sounds like you will have a great Thanksgiving Seaoat. I hope that for all the forum members. It's a day to be with family, for sure.
Our kids and their spouses will be coming to our house on Thursday, as well as my Sister from Mobile, one of her sons, his three kids, her best friend, and get this- my sister's ex husband who we have not seen for many, many years. His wife has passed away and my nephew  wants his kids to have Thanksgiving with both their grandparents. Since the ex  lives in Tallahassee alone, the only way to do it is for him to come to my house with my nephew, , his grandkids, and all the rest of us together. It's been nearly 40 years since the divorce, and it was as nasty as they get, but 40 years is still 40 years. If my sister can forgive and agree to have a nice family dinner together, I figure we can too. The only person I worry about is my sister's best friend who really does not like my sister's ex. I definitely hope she behaves herself. This is my sister's choice and I'm okay with it. 
Along with that, we are having a dog birthday party the same day for my granddog from New Orleans. Of course, my two dogs will be here and it's possible my youngest will bring her two dogs. That's 5 dogs. 4 large dogs and one small yippy dog.
Anybody in for a fun day????????
I'm thinking we may need to get some balloons.

Did somebody accuse me of being crazy on here before? Hmmmm.............I think I need to think about this. Question

View user profile

6 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/17/2018, 7:51 pm

half the fun after thanksgiving dinner is what Bill Mahr called the ride home when everybody talks about everybody else......families......sweet.

View user profile

7 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/18/2018, 6:39 pm

2seaoat wrote:
Celebrate your families and friends.  Give thanks for the abundance we share.  I give simple thanks to be able to share my last thanksgiving with all those I love.

Poignantly lovely thought.

As for us, we have no family in the vicinity and, as we have for many years now, will share Thanksgiving together, just the two of us.  

Our recent years' tradition is to go out to enjoy a good Thanksgiving buffet, but not before I first cook a large turkey breast Thursday a.m., and refrigerate it so we can have (1) those fabulous turkey sandwiches, for which I even sin by buying hearty white bread instead of our usual whole grain, and (2) a "phony leftovers" dinner Friday night, for which my husband bakes the pumpkin pie and I make a few special sides, and (3)a big batch of Turkey Barley Soup, which I make on Sunday from the breast bones.

Hey, it works for us, and we've both been so far from family for so long that we're used to it.  

Still, I do feel a twinge of envy for those of you who'll be surrounded by loved ones.  That's the way to do it, of course, if you can.

Enjoy the hell out of it, Sea, even if you can't eat a bite -- and I hope you can!

View user profile

8 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/18/2018, 7:03 pm

I cooked a Turkey when relatives came up to help me start winterizing the place a couple of weeks ago. So we're going to have steak and boil shrimp and everyone will bring a side dish or dessert. Not exactly traditional... lol. But it sounds good.

View user profile

9 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/18/2018, 8:15 pm

Sounds good Pkrbum and RLinda. Our Thanksgiving dinner was great ended up with 26 for dinner. The kids all enjoyed a game of basketball.... rolled the goal to the street and had a great time.

View user profile

10 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/19/2018, 2:24 am

Joanimaroni wrote:Sounds good Pkrbum and RLinda. Our Thanksgiving dinner was great ended up with 26 for dinner.

I can hardly conceive of managing that size of a dinner gathering. The talent for entertaining on that scale is admirable, but waaaay beyond me.

Pkr, it doesn't matter what you eat, and I agree it sounds yummy!

View user profile

11 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/20/2018, 11:27 pm

Took my shower tonight and I feel good enough to travel Wed. Looking forward to the poker game and I am bringing my chips. Weak but strong enough to walk about thirty feet without resting.

View user profile

12 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/21/2018, 3:35 am

2seaoat wrote:Took my shower tonight and I feel good enough to travel Wed.  Looking forward to the poker game and I am bringing my chips.  Weak but strong enough to walk about thirty feet without resting.

That all sounds really good, Sea. Hope you don't have to travel too far.
Best of luck with the game and everything else! Let us know at some point how it all went.

View user profile

13 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/22/2018, 5:57 pm

RealLindaL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Sounds good Pkrbum and RLinda. Our Thanksgiving dinner was great ended up with 26 for dinner.

I can hardly conceive of managing that size of a dinner gathering.  The talent for entertaining on that scale is admirable, but waaaay beyond me.

Pkr, it doesn't matter what you eat, and I agree it sounds yummy!

Our regular count is 17... kids, spouses, and grandkids. What’s 10 more, LOL.

I try to cook for two...by using a smaller pot. It doesn’t work... I progress from a 4 qt pot to 8 then 12. Hubby calls it my “enough for an army” cooking. When we have immediate and extended family I cook for 30-40 people.

View user profile

14 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/22/2018, 6:23 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:I progress from a 4 qt pot to 8 then 12. Hubby calls it my “enough for an army” cooking. When we have immediate and extended family I cook for 30-40 people.

"Enough for an army" works great if one has room in the freezer.  

As for cooking for 30-40, I would not have a CLUE, much less the facilities, to prepare for, much less serve, that particular army.  More power to you!!

Last edited by RealLindaL on 11/22/2018, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

15 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/22/2018, 6:24 pm

Seaoat, are you able to drop in for a brief report on Wed./Thurs.? Hope all went well.

View user profile

16 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/23/2018, 2:13 am

Hello Sea, are you still kickin'? Hope to hear from you Friday.....

View user profile

17 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/23/2018, 5:37 am

Wonderful thanksgiving with family, but horrible weakness has set in and we will probably have hospice deliver a hospital bed this week. It will not be long, but this dying body keeps hanging on to life. It really has become difficult to post.

View user profile

18 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/23/2018, 10:31 am

So sorry Seaoat. So glad you had a great holiday with your family.

View user profile

19 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/23/2018, 11:28 am

A half glass of Silver Oak with my dry turkey breast.....heaven. One granddaughter tonight. Two grandsons Sat=Sun and I get to interact without having to travel which is next to impossible. Every day is a bonus. No great liver pain after the wine.....might repeat.

View user profile

20 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/23/2018, 4:41 pm

2seaoat wrote:It really has become difficult to post.

Well, I for one thank you for making the effort. I'm sure it means a lot to a lot of forum members to keep hearing from you. Thanks!

View user profile

21 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/23/2018, 4:44 pm

2seaoat wrote:A half glass of Silver Oak with my dry turkey breast.....heaven.  One granddaughter tonight.  Two grandsons Sat=Sun and I get to interact without having to travel which is next to impossible.  Every day is a bonus.  No great liver pain after the wine.....might repeat.

Wonderful that you were able to eat and drink a little bit of heaven. Certainly agree that every day is a bonus (for us, too), especially since you'd predicted you'd be dead by Thanksgiving. Another milepost passed and conquered by our Seaoat! Here's hoping you DO repeat the wine (and turkey if you can).

View user profile

22 Re: thanksgiving plans on 11/23/2018, 4:46 pm

Am also thinking, Sea, that those grandkids are learning an extra lot about life and death from their ol' grampa.  It's good to know no one's apparently trying to shield them from the realities. Fine family.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum