This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

THE BEST HEADLINE EVER!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/8/2018, 3:51 pm

BREAKING: Ruth Bader Ginsburg's Ribs

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been hospitalized after a taking a tumble in her chambers at the Supreme Court last night.

Ginsburg, 85, the oldest member of the high court, is known to keep working until all hours of the night, but she returned home after her fall. Still experiencing “discomfort overnight,” she went to the George Washington Hospital, where she discovered that she’d fractured three ribs. According to a statement from the Supreme Court, doctors admitted Ginsburg for further “observation and treatment.”

If you recall, this is not the first time Ginsburg has broken her ribs. The same thing happened in 2012, when she broke two ribs and then went right back to work the next day despite being in pain. Ginsburg, who has already survived several battles with cancer and has even had a stent placed in her heart, keeps going back to work because she loves her job and she knows how incredibly important it is.

The Supreme Court has never needed the Notorious RBG more than it needs her now. We all wish Justice Ginsburg a very speedy recovery. Get well soon and stay well!

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/11/breaking-justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-hospitalized-after-fall-at-supreme-court/

View user profile

2 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/8/2018, 11:38 pm

I'm just not thinking that an old woman breaking her ribs is such a great headline at all.

View user profile

3 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 12:13 am

bigdog wrote:I'm just not thinking that an old woman breaking her ribs is such a great headline at all.

Any woman breaking their ribs is is a great headline for some. Rolling Eyes

View user profile

4 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 10:33 am

I'd go with "amusingly-phrased headline," because it is that. But the news it's conveying is awful.

View user profile

5 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 10:49 am

She's as tough as nails. Already back to work... just like last time. You have to admire her grit.

View user profile

6 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 12:55 pm

PkrBum wrote:Already back to work...

Much to the severe disappointment of untold numbers of conservatives, no doubt.

View user profile

7 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 3:13 pm

RealLindaL wrote:[quote="PkrBum"already back to work”

Much to the severe disappointment of untold numbers of conservatives, no doubt.[/quote]

No doubt. lol! lol! lol!

View user profile

8 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 4:34 pm

First off, the title of this thread is BEST HEADLINE EVER, not BEST STORY EVER. Note the difference.

Secondly, the headline includes a pun which is a high and noble form of humor. It can be used as a quick measure of intelligence since, in my experience, people who “get” puns are, without exception, more intelligent, honorable and honest than those who don’t. People who don’t “get” puns are, invariably, the dolts and dullards who inhabit the left-side of Bell Curve. See Post #2 above.

Thirdly, puns are one of only two forms of humor which don’t involve some form of embarrassment, misery or humiliation for its effect—they depend only upon intellect and therein lies their nobility. The other form is, of course, the limerick but there’s a problem with them since the limerick is furtive and mean and must be kept under close quarantine or else it escapes to the slums where it promptly becomes disorderly, drunk and obscene.

Fourthly, the story was from a law blog that’s widely followed in that community and I have no doubt that Her Notoriousness has been made aware of the article. I also have no doubt that the headline provoked mirth, which, unfortunately, may have caused her some pain since her ribs are sore as a motherfucker and laughing hurts when you have busted ribs.

Fifthly, read the last paragraph of the article and lighten the fuck up! The article was a paean to her and the headline got you to read it. So there!

View user profile

9 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 5:29 pm

No idea whom you're addressing, Deus.  But he fact of the headline as pun (yes, very humorous to some including perhaps rib-hurt RBG herself) has nothing whatsoever to do with the likelihood that, again, untold numbers of conservatives were doubtless getting quite excited over the possibility of the elderly RGB's impending demise, allowing, of course, for Trump's appointment of yet another Kavanaugh.

Why are you angry?

Last edited by RealLindaL on 11/10/2018, 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

10 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 5:41 pm

Deus X wrote:First off, the title of this thread is BEST HEADLINE EVER, not BEST STORY EVER. Note the difference.

I dunno, I kinda see them as the same thing, since headlines traditionally reflect the content of the story.

Like, "DONALD TRUMP FALLS ON A RAKE AND DIES!" would maybe be the best (or at least most welcome) headline ever, even though there's nothing particularly clever about the headline itself.

But, hey, when you've got Donald Trump falling on a rake, who needs clever, amirite? Smile

lighten the fuck up! !

...he says after an impassioned rant! Smile (I know, I'm maybe the guiltiest of doing 'em, too, but it's still funny.)

Anyway, lightening the fuck up, cap'n. Although I was never really un-lightened to begin with. Smile

View user profile

11 Re: THE BEST HEADLINE EVER! on 11/9/2018, 8:45 pm

Oh, I know who it was directed at. Deus works so hard at his attempts to be patronizing towards me. He looks up definitions of words, he reads hundreds of old posts to see if they conflict with something I said, I'm apparently a central part of his life.  I assume he thinks he knows me, or something about me, and that I would be the kind of person who would give a shit about his opinion of me. 
But I have no need to prove anything to anyone I only know from an internet forum. Particularly not to someone as easy to provoke as Deus seems to be. 
Pun or not, it was a nasty little headline. It doesn't matter that the writer was wishing RBG well. That's because an 85 year old woman breaking her ribs isn't normally an object of humor when it's reported in a newspaper. If it were your mother, you wouldn't find it humorous. Deus, who knows everything else, evidently,  may actually not know that often headlines to articles are not written by the author of the article. They're sometimes added by an editor who thinks they'll attract more attention. That's why half the time you see a headline it takes half the article before you get to the part of the article that the headline references.
There's no way to know if this headline was written by the article's author or not.
But one thing is certain, it's  especially not funny when the health of this 85 year old woman is so incredibly essential to the future of the constitution of this country.

But then again, children can laugh at whatever they want to.
I prefer my sick humor to be directed at conservatives.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum