Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Willie Nelson puts on political rally for Beto O'Rourke, Austin Sept. 29th

+6
Floridatexan
EmeraldGhost
Telstar
2seaoat
zsomething
othershoe1030
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Generally speaking I'm not a fan of country music but I love Willie Nelson. I see where some of his fans are surprised that he's doing this concert for Beto. I mean really? Did they think Willie was a Republican? Seriously?

I am very favorably impressed by this candidate from El Paso, TX running to oust Ted Cruz in case you missed this race. It's a close race and last I heard Trump is flying in to support his long time friend (tongue in cheek) Ted. That's sickening enough and certainly shows sheer desperation on Cruz's part.

I predict O'Rourke will go far in politics, maybe one day national office, POTUS? To me he has the right combination of enthusiasm, talent and message.

Nelson announced on his Facebook page that he’ll be headlining the Turn Out For Texas rally for candidate Beto O’Rourke, who is running against Sen. Ted Cruz.

As Austin360 reported, Nelson brought O’Rourke on stage during his Fourth of July Picnic summer concert. Now he’s doubling down on his support by joining Joe Ely, Carrie Rodriguez, Tameca Jones and his two sons, Lukas and Micha Nelson, at the Sept. 29 rally.

“My wife Annie and I have met and spoken with Beto and we share his concern for the direction things are headed,” Nelson said in the press release provided to the outlet. “Beto embodies what is special about Texas, an energy and an integrity that is completely genuine.”

zsomething

Yep, people getting upset with Willie just haven't been paying attention to Willie. They're lucky Johnny Cash isn't around anymore, either, because they sure wouldn't like what he'd have to say about Trump.

Beto's doing well. Even some conservatives are starting to drift to his side, which is surprising.

2seaoat

The evil Ted Cruz represents is measurable and regular folks can sense that this man is evil. Just ask any Senator about their feelings about this worm.

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething wrote:Yep, people getting upset with Willie just haven't been paying attention to Willie.  They're lucky Johnny Cash isn't around anymore, either, because they sure wouldn't like what he'd have to say about Trump.  

Beto's doing well.  Even some conservatives are starting to drift to his side, which is surprising.

Just a reminder about how bone spur REALLY feels about lying Ted Cruz. LOL at him praising the National Enquirer now that WE know the rest of the story about how they sat on the Stormy story for him. Pence is another laugh. He so much looks like he'd like to drop to his knees and give his boss a BJ right then and there.  Twisted Evil

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

My sister's family are huge "Beto fans ... I was out there recently, signs in her yard, bumper stickers on their cars, etc.   (Certain other members of my extended family out that way .. Dallas, Houston, El Paso.... well, not so much  Rolling Eyes   )

From what I've read the R's are gonna have to spend big on Cruz this time around due to the challenge.  Still, despite his popularity,  I think "Beto" is going to have to generate turn-out ... from some groups where turn-out can sometimes be a bit of a challenge.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

EmeraldGhost wrote:My sister's family out in their tony subdivision north of Dallas are huge "Beto fans ... I was out there recently, signs in her yard, bumper stickers on their cars, etc.   (Certain other members of my extended family out that way .... well, not so much  Rolling Eyes   )

From what I've read the R's are gonna have to spend big on Cruz this time around due to the challenge.  Still, despite his popularity,  I think "Beto" is going to have to generate turn-out ... from some groups where turn-out can sometimes be a bit of a challenge.

I have the same problem with some family members in Texas. Beto has visited every county, some more than once. He has refused PAC money, relying instead on individual donations. Cruz's smear campaign has backfired...no surprise; even his college roommates couldn't stand him. And he had dual US/Canadian citizenship until 2015.

knothead

knothead

I completely agree with othershoe and hope this young man enjoys a bright future . . . . young and smart!

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Found this comment on Wille's FB page:

Come on folks, let's be kind to the Cruz fans. It's been a rough year for them – they've had to burn their tennis shoes, stop riding their Harleys, stop watching the NFL, quit driving their Fords and now they have to give up Willie. I do admire the dedication with which they keep punishing themselves, but can't help feeling a little bit sorry for them.

bigdog

I saw him on Colbert the other night and what he has going is that he is extremely Kennedy-esque. I just made that word up, but he could sneak into a Kennedy family photo and no one would notice.
I like his views and Ted Cruz is a coward to suck up to Trump after what Trump said about him. I think Cruz will be hard to beat though. I honestly don't expect a flip there.
Anybody who is surprised Willie Nelson would favor Beto over Cruz knows nothing at all about Willie, that's for sure.
Hey, he's still the only guy to smoke weed on the roof of the White House.

I love Willie with all my heart, but he really should not put out that album of Sinatra songs he's coming out with next month.
Just like no one but Willie should ever sing Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain, nobody should ever attempt to sing almost anything Sinatra already sang. Why mess with perfect? They are my two favorite singers ever, but they are not alike in any way I can think of at all. Except maybe perfect phrasing.

polecat

polecat

Hey, he's still the only guy to smoke weed on the roof of the White House.

I love Willie with all my heart, but he really should not put out that album of Sinatra songs he's coming out with next month.
[/quote]

I think Jimmy Carters son admitted to smoking at the White House. Maybe it was with Willie.

Remember they said the same thing about Willies Stardust album. It spent 10 years on Billboards Country Album charts and reached quintuple platinum.

Big Creek's up Little Creek's level
Plow my corn with a double shovel
Stay all night stay a little longer
Dance all night dance a little longer
Pull off your coat throw it in the corner
Don't see why you can't stay a little longer

bigdog

We'll have to see polecat. I just hate it when anyone tries to redo a Sinatra song though. It's never as good to me as the original. I feel the same, btw, about Marty Robbins and Jim Reeves. Once you've got perfect, all you can do is mess it up.
It won't make me not love Willie though. Nothing could do that. He's somebody that probably actually could shoot somebody in the middle of 5th avenue and his fans wouldn't abandon him.
I'm pretty sure if he did that he'd have a good excuse. Very Happy

Telstar

Telstar

I go with Willie on this one. He sounds like he means it. Frank sounds like Joe Piscopo singing I Dig Rock and Roll.

bigdog

Oh no, not fair. Here's Sinatra's original recording of Without a Song. See, he should have left his own song alone. Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwE4Wb0cLQ

I'll have to admit that Willie's is still better. Too much instrumentation in the Sinatra version. Also, Willie has Trigger and it's not fair to put a big old orchestra against Trigger. Trigger will win that fight every time.

I didn't care for Sinatra much after his Capitol years when he started his dooby-dooby doo phase either, but in the 40's, 50's and early 60's there wasn't a voice on the planet to match his. Of course, that's my opinion, but I think a lot of other people thought so too.

I didn't become a fan until high school in the mid 60's when he put out his "September of my Years" album which is still one of his best ever. Then I started listening to some of his older stuff and I discovered that the Beatles were not the only musical talent on the planet. It was a real awakening at the time.

RealLindaL

Floridatexan wrote:Found this comment on Wille's FB page:

Come on folks, let's be kind to the Cruz fans. It's been a rough year for them – they've had to burn their tennis shoes, stop riding their Harleys, stop watching the NFL, quit driving their Fords and now they have to give up Willie. I do admire the dedication with which they keep punishing themselves, but can't help feeling a little bit sorry for them.

cheers cheers cheers

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:Oh no, not fair. Here's Sinatra's original recording of Without a Song. See, he should have left his own song alone. Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwE4Wb0cLQ

I'll have to admit that Willie's is still better. Too much instrumentation in the Sinatra version. Also, Willie has Trigger and it's not fair to put a big old orchestra against Trigger. Trigger will win that fight every time.

I didn't care for Sinatra much after his Capitol years when he started his dooby-dooby doo phase either, but in the 40's, 50's and early 60's there wasn't a voice on the planet to match his. Of course, that's my opinion, but I think a lot of other people thought so too.

I didn't become a fan until high school in the mid 60's when he put out his "September of my Years" album which is still one of his best ever. Then I started listening to some of his older stuff and  I discovered that the Beatles were not the only musical talent on the planet. It was a real awakening at the time.

I was going to respond but most of my points were mentioned by you. Funny you mentioned being turned on to Sinatra during the Beatles era, for me it was the Glenn Miller Band. I heard the song ( or first paid attention to) Angel Eyes during a Sinatra tribute. It was sung by Springsteen. Nobody does that song like Sinatra does. I like the way it seems to begin in the middle. If Frankie couldn't find happiness, what hope was there for the rest of us? "Excuse me while I disappear."

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Telstar

Telstar

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be Ted Cruz.

polecat

polecat

I would love to hear Frank cover this.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

https://newrepublic.com/article/128808/everybody-hates-ted

Telstar

Telstar

Like the song says, everybody has to hate something but nobody doesn't hate Ted Cruz.

bigdog

Hey Polecat, I'm not denying Willie's magic either. I've only seen him live about 6 or 8 times, talked to him on the phone when he had a call in show, and had him read a letter I wrote him about my father in law during his Farm Aid Concert. I would have been a groupie but I had a husband and kids. There's no one like Willie, just like there was no one like Sinatra.
Shotgun Willie was an okay album, but I'm partial to the Red Headed Stranger album and this one off that album is probably my favorite of all his songs. There are so many that it's hard to pick though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cIYDnDZUk

polecat

polecat

Willie Nelson puts on political rally for Beto O'Rourke, Austin Sept. 29th 41913610

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum