Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just how strong is American racism?

+7
othershoe1030
EmeraldGhost
PkrBum
Telstar
gatorfan
zsomething
Wordslinger
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 2 IYYT3bp6Jz3j-WY_WFLMPdq7PabyRblDg7LMxaNSX5w

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:Hell... we don't even have to go back to the civil war to see leftist racism. Jim crow laws and eugenics happened in the last 100 years. To blame any of that shit on Republicans is pure revision for useful idiots. Yea Team..!!

Sadly, it's not simple enough to be able to say the Democrats have always been on the side of minorities or that the party of Lincoln has always defended people of color. It is more complicated than that, but not much.

After the Civil War white Southerners decided they couldn't belong to the party of Lincoln for obvious reasons so they mainly became "Democrats" or more aptly, Dixiecrats seeing as how they were an apparent anomaly known as "conservative democrats".  

So for decades they called themselves democrats as a revolt against Lincoln. Then when Johnson signed the Civil Rights Laws they revolted against the Democratic Party and declared themselves to be once again Republicans. These people are consistent in two things, 1) revolting against political parties for one reason only, and 2) feeling superior to anyone of color.

I am so tired of seeing this rag-tag-dog-eared argument about not being able to blame institutional racism on Republicans. Of course it is not "Republicans" it is that same group of white pea-brained, totally insecure, completely misinformed, hateful people who think they are better than others because of nothing, I say nothing more than the color of their skin (of all things indeed).

We should not loose sight of the fact that no matter what label they are going by these days, under the label it is the same stupid people every time.

PkrBum

PkrBum

I can agree with much of that. Except that for all of the talk about dixiecrats infiltrating the pubs there has only been ONE example given after all these years of asking for them. Speaking of "rag-tag-dog-eared arguments".

Telstar

Telstar

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Telstar

Telstar

Deus X

Deus X

Imagine that: a racist pig gets his understanding of a complicated, three hundred-year-old social problem from comedy videos. Further proof that there's no such thing as a good cop--or a smart one, apparently.

gatorfan

Wordslinger wrote:
gatorfan wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:Consider:  the right to own and sale a black slave was strong enough during the Civil War that hundreds of thousands of southern whites believed that fighting and dying for slavery was worth it.

Fuck racism and all who practice it.  

May I suggest visiting their graves and tinkling a little on them? I do believe there are more pressing issues right now than the Civil War, which by the way was not solely about slavery......

Too bad you have comprehension challenges.  The thread isn't about the Civil War but about the strength of today's white racism.  And you're wrong about the civil war's cause.  It was about slavery!  The main product of the southern states was cotton -- all of which depended on the labor of black slaves.  The north didn't give a fuck about what your knuckle dragging slave owning or white trash ancestors did for a living.  And the north was a major buyer of southern Cotton.  Furthermore, the north didn't raise cotton so it wasn't a case of trade competition.  This is an intellectual argument that's been fought and won numerous times by historians who proved the civil war was ALL ABOUT THE RIGHT FOR SOUTHERN PLANTATION OWNERS TO BUY AND SELL SLAVES.  Like most southern fans, you guys can't handle the truth about your ancestors and their dreadful, inhuman and cruel practices.

Reality!

Reality??? What do you know about "reality"? Apparently nothing. I'm not even a "southerner"as you say, I was born right next to Lake Erie (that's way up north BTW), along with my whole family. The maternal side is heavily related to the Niitsitapi. So go pound sound Mr Assumption. RMA.....

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Deus X wrote:Imagine that: a racist pig gets his understanding of a complicated, three hundred-year-old social problem from comedy videos. Further proof that there's no such thing as a good cop--or a smart one, apparently.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Hell... we don't even have to go back to the civil war to see leftist racism. Jim crow laws and eugenics happened in the last 100 years. To blame any of that shit on Republicans is pure revision for useful idiots. Yea Team..!!

Sadly, it's not simple enough to be able to say the Democrats have always been on the side of minorities or that the party of Lincoln has always defended people of color. It is more complicated than that, but not much.

After the Civil War white Southerners decided they couldn't belong to the party of Lincoln for obvious reasons so they mainly became "Democrats" or more aptly, Dixiecrats seeing as how they were an apparent anomaly known as "conservative democrats".  

So for decades they called themselves democrats as a revolt against Lincoln. Then when Johnson signed the Civil Rights Laws they revolted against the Democratic Party and declared themselves to be once again Republicans. These people are consistent in two things, 1) revolting against political parties for one reason only, and 2) feeling superior to anyone of color.

I am so tired of seeing this rag-tag-dog-eared argument about not being able to blame institutional racism on Republicans. Of course it is not "Republicans" it is that same group of white pea-brained, totally insecure, completely misinformed, hateful people who think they are better than others because of nothing, I say nothing more than the color of their skin (of all things indeed).

We should not loose sight of the fact that no matter what label they are going by these days, under the label it is the same stupid people every time.

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 2 Lincoln-slave-quote_3

The New York City draft riots (July 13–16, 1863), known at the time as Draft Week,[3] were violent disturbances in Lower Manhattan, widely regarded as the culmination of working-class discontent with new laws passed by Congress that year to draft men to fight in the ongoing American Civil War. The riots remain the largest civil and racially charged insurrection in American history, aside from the Civil War itself.[4]

Initially intended to express anger at the draft, the protests turned into a race riot, with white rioters, predominantly Irish immigrants,[4] attacking black people throughout the city. The official death toll was listed at either 119 or 120 individuals.

The military did not reach the city until the second day of rioting, by which time the mobs had ransacked or destroyed numerous public buildings, two Protestant churches, the homes of various abolitionists or sympathizers, many black homes, and the Colored Orphan Asylum at 44th Street and Fifth Avenue, which was burned to the ground.[9] The area's demographics changed as a result of the riot. Many black residents left Manhattan permanently with many moving to Brooklyn. By 1865, the black population fell below 11,000 for the first time since 1820.[9]

The mob beat, tortured and/or killed numerous black people, including one man who was attacked by a crowd of 400 with clubs and paving stones, then lynched, hanged from a tree and set alight.[13]

Attack on the Tribune building
The Colored Orphan Asylum at 43rd Street and Fifth Avenue, a "symbol of white charity to blacks and of black upward mobility"[9] that provided shelter for 233 children, was attacked by a mob at around 4 p.m. A mob of several thousand, including many women and children, looted the building of its food and supplies. However, the police were able to secure the orphanage for enough time to allow the orphans to escape before the building burned down.[18] Throughout the areas of rioting, mobs attacked and killed at least 120 black people and destroyed their known homes and businesses, such as James McCune Smith's pharmacy at 93 West Broadway, believed to be the first owned by a black man in the United States.[9]

The exact death toll during the New York Draft Riots is unknown, but according to historian James M. McPherson, 119 or 120 people were killed, most of them were black. In all, eleven black men were hanged over five days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_draft_riots

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMWFv6kroIDys_9NN7F5QESu07S6YKE1HO6L-CyV2OPXg0MbAn1g

Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 9/12/2018, 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

zsomething

othershoe1030 wrote:

The difference isn't Republican and Democrat... it's liberal and conservative. There's a lot of stuff I don't like about "leftists," but they aren't perpetrators of racism in this country -- that's conservatives, always has been, whether those conservatives where in the Republican or Democratic parties at the time. The main thing conservatives seem to want to "conserve" are racial boundaries. And that ain't from "the media," that's from knowing 'em first-hand.

Lincoln's Republican party was more liberal than conservative, and the Democrats in the South were hardline conservative. Nowdays a lot of morons try to ignore that and pretend that the parties always were what they are now. You have to be profoundly ignorant of history (or just flat-out dishonest like Dinesh D'souza) to pretend that, but they're profoundly ignorant of (and dishonest about) pretty much every other subject, so, why not that one, too? I've seen desperate attempts to claim the Southern "Dixiecrats" turned Republican during the civil rights movement because they suddenly embraced conservative economics, en masse, just at that time! Very Happy That's a logical hail-mary if there ever was one. Only people believing that smack are the people who need to because they can't face the truth.

Nowdays, Democrats elect far more people of color to hold office and share in the governing of the country, while Republicans try to find ways to ban them based on religion or keep them out with walls and harsher legal immigration... and, when that doesn't work, they send out their Nazis.

Now, in the meantime we've got people calling us "snowflakes" because we don't revere their silly-ass Dixie banner, and getting triggered into big flaggy tantrums about it. Oh no, not memes! Rolling Eyes I'm guessing some "People's Poet" fantasy's going on in your head when those pwn-the-libs memes get posted:

"Thwack! Bam! Ha ha, that'll show those snowflakes who made me search out memes half the night by not being nice enough 'bout mah heritage!" Good lord, dude, who cares about your "heritage" when you're such a pussified easy-flip-out in the present day?!? Whatever you come from can't be half as embarrassing as what you are. Very Happy The lack of self-awareness there is pretty hilarious. I remember back in the schoolyard the way to start a fight was to insult somebody's mama. These folks are so sensitive that for them it's their great-great-grandpappy, who they never even met. Very Happy Ah well, it's nice to know where the triggers are, just in case we ever wanna watch you dance a while, great-great-grandson-of-a-loser-piece-of-shit, thou. Smile

(There, that should put another quarter in the jukebox...)

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfsq6CTGPOm_WZl618DRxD-ClNlMWvV7XeFmpFsIsO3MW9myYxnQ

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:I can agree with much of that. Except that for all of the talk about dixiecrats infiltrating the pubs there has only been ONE example given after all these years of asking for them. Speaking of "rag-tag-dog-eared arguments".

Perhaps my point was not stated clearly enough. I did not mean to suggest that the Dixiecrats infiltrated the GOP, far from it. The entire South continually voted Republican ever since or shortly after the Civil Rights and Voting Rights laws were passed. The southern vote was no longer a pseudo-democratic vote but a straight up GOP vote. See Nixon's "Southern strategy" for example. Look at any map showing red vs blue states. Note the amazement when Alabama voted in a senator from the Democratic Party.

The South is, or has been until now a GOP stronghold except for Florida, which turned blue in 2008 and 2012 and is once again up for grabs.

I never heard of the idea of Dixiecrats infiltrating the Republican Party. What are you talking about?

PkrBum

PkrBum

othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I can agree with much of that. Except that for all of the talk about dixiecrats infiltrating the pubs there has only been ONE example given after all these years of asking for them. Speaking of "rag-tag-dog-eared arguments".

Perhaps my point was not stated clearly enough. I did not mean to suggest that the Dixiecrats infiltrated the GOP, far from it. The entire South continually voted Republican ever since or shortly after the Civil Rights and Voting Rights laws were passed. The southern vote was no longer a pseudo-democratic vote but a straight up GOP vote. See Nixon's "Southern strategy" for example. Look at any map showing red vs blue states. Note the amazement when Alabama voted in a senator from the Democratic Party.

The South is, or has been until now a GOP stronghold except for Florida, which turned blue in 2008 and 2012 and is once again up for grabs.

I never heard of the idea of Dixiecrats infiltrating the Republican Party. What are you talking about?

I guess i misunderstood this: "After the Civil War white Southerners decided they couldn't belong to the party of Lincoln for obvious reasons so they mainly became "Democrats" or more aptly, Dixiecrats seeing as how they were an apparent anomaly known as "conservative democrats"." Pardon me.

Seagoat has made that dixiecrat to pub argument over and over as well as some others.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

I guess i misunderstood this: "After the Civil War white Southerners decided they couldn't belong to the party of Lincoln for obvious reasons so they mainly became "Democrats" or more aptly, Dixiecrats seeing as how they were an apparent anomaly known as "conservative democrats"." Pardon me.

Seagoat has made that dixiecrat to pub argument over and over as well as some others.

Southerners were SO uncomfortable (to put it mildly) after loosing the war they could not bear to be associated with the political party associated with Lincoln. Then they were faced with the situation of being Democrats, albeit Dixiecrats, when Johnson signed the Civil Rights Laws. Once again they were in a very awkward position, so again they switched due to their underlying desire to 'conserve' racial boundaries.

It is hard to reconcile your idea about an "infiltration" when the mass of voters changed their registration from D to R. How is that an infiltration? Looks more like a total re-branding to me.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 2 Identity-politics

Telstar

Telstar

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 2 640px-10

PkrBum

PkrBum

othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Southerners were SO uncomfortable (to put it mildly) after loosing the war they could not bear to be associated with the political party associated with Lincoln. Then they were faced with the situation of being Democrats, albeit Dixiecrats, when Johnson signed the Civil Rights Laws. Once again they were in a very awkward position, so again they switched due to their underlying desire to 'conserve' racial boundaries.

It is hard to reconcile your idea about an "infiltration" when the mass of voters changed their registration from D to R. How is that an infiltration? Looks more like a total re-branding to me.

Wouldn't that require a large group of democratic politicians to switch parties too? Who were they?

Telstar

Telstar

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 2 Till10

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Wouldn't that require a large group of democratic politicians to switch parties too? Who were they?

Yes, at times the democratic party was racist, ditto for the republicans.
Today, the Republicans, led by King Racist Herr Twittler wear the crown -- they don't like African Americans, Mexican or Latinos, all immigrants not from Norway or Sweden, NFL players who protest police brutality directed at Black Americans,

Listen up: American racism isn't a bipartisan issue -- it's an
American issue. Stop trying to dodge your own guilt for being associated with white racist conservative politics by blaming democrats, etc.

The problem is divisive, cruel, unjust actions against non-white folks, championed by Herr Trump speaking to an ever-shrinking white Christian group who will soon be an American minority. If the foo shits ... LOL

2seaoat

Racism in America is as strong as ever. The old confederacy was democratic. The Whig Party evolved into the Republican Party largely because of the Christian abolitionist in New England, but it was the tall Illinois log splitter who was their candidate. Why is there Baptist and Southern Baptist?

This naive idea that democrats who believed in Jim Crow and resisted the Civil rights movement did not migrate to the Republican party as Dixiecrats originally led by Senator Thurmond, one of the most racist senators in American history, is amusing as political concepts and nomenclature are ignored. All my relatives went from democrats who supported Jim Crow to Republicans who fought the civil rights movement and worked to restrict voters. The civil war like any war has complex issues which contributed to the same, but to say it was not about slavery is like Donald Trump passing a mirror and not looking at himself. Sophomoric and tired logic excuses individual racism......Not!

I laugh now at the backlash against the NFL and NBA which is entirely race baiting, and just shake my head at weak white boys who have well to do parents who push them into Hockey as an area their children can excel.......with other White kids. I played hockey as a kid. We would play all day in the winter months, but the funny thing about the boys in my family in Alabama not a one played hockey or cared about it, but now that black kids can compete in the traditional southern sports, the white kids are being pushed into sports which simply did NOT exist in the old confederacy, but because of high ice fee rentals and incredible costs to a kid in Dixie to play hockey, it takes out the black and hispanic kids who may not share the same economic success of their white peers. No racism is getting worse because Trump switched the light on in the kitchen and the cockroaches are running in the open unafraid of being rightfully squashed.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Wordslinger wrote:  Stop trying to dodge your own guilt

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just how strong is American racism? - Page 2 BzuoFfq

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum