This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Knothead...How are you?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/24/2018, 3:44 pm

Man... so sorry to hear this too. Please let know how that goes as well.

View user profile

52 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/24/2018, 4:44 pm

2seaoat wrote:Our prayers are with your wife and you.  I had my scope and like your wife they went under my left armpit and removed my upper lobe and the tumor.  They have gotten very good at this procedure.  Now my warnings.  Please do not let your wife have solid food for sometime.   This is a painful operation and afterwards breathing and coughing will cause pain and more opiates.  If she chows down while still taking the opiates it is incredibly painful to be constipated after lung surgery.  Make sure she is taking stool softners.   Also, do not be like my wife who got even for me making her laugh after a C section......it hurts to laugh, so please do not tell her about anything Trump has said recently.

Sage advice Mr. Oats, thank you!

View user profile

53 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/24/2018, 4:45 pm

PkrBum wrote:Man... so sorry to hear this too. Please let know how that goes as well.

Appreciate it pkr, it's a journey!

View user profile

54 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/24/2018, 5:04 pm

Wow knot, talk about a double sucker punch. Can certainly understand the "What's next/what else?" question....

Thank you so much for trusting us with the news about your dear wife, and know that we'll all be pulling for her (and for you!) tomorrow and in the difficult days ahead. Hoping for the best possible outcome in her case and yours, and will look forward to further updates as and when you can. May all further news be good!

View user profile

55 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/24/2018, 6:22 pm

RealLindaL wrote:Wow knot, talk about a double sucker punch.  Can certainly understand the "What's next/what else?" question....  

Thank you so much for trusting us with the news about your dear wife, and know that we'll all be pulling for her (and for you!) tomorrow and in the difficult days ahead.   Hoping for the best possible outcome in her case and yours, and will look forward to further updates as and when you can.  May all further news be good!

Thanks Linda, we both feel good about her surgeon. Vandy called to notify her the procedure may get off to a late start b/c the doc has a lung transplant first thing . . . . . my wife said no problem!

View user profile

56 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/24/2018, 6:28 pm

knothead wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Wow knot, talk about a double sucker punch.  Can certainly understand the "What's next/what else?" question....  

Thank you so much for trusting us with the news about your dear wife, and know that we'll all be pulling for her (and for you!) tomorrow and in the difficult days ahead.   Hoping for the best possible outcome in her case and yours, and will look forward to further updates as and when you can.  May all further news be good!

Thanks Linda, we both feel good about her surgeon.  Vandy called to notify her the procedure may get off to a late start b/c the doc has a lung transplant first thing . . . . . my wife said no problem!

Geeez... a lung transplant would take me the whole day... lol.

View user profile

57 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/24/2018, 7:23 pm

My lung tumor and lobe removal took seven hours. About two hours more than my wife was told. Needless to say the waiting room of friends and family freaked a little bit, but what really helped in this surgery was the massage they give all lung operation folks. It was a total body massage that relaxed me so much that when I got into surgery, I asked them what they gave me because I was really relaxed.....they said we had not given you anything yet......My surgeon made a cocktail up of muscle relaxers which really made my stay in ICU short and other than the mistake with eating solid foods too soon, it was pretty good recovery where I pushed the envelope by walking every day a little further. It will be hard for her to do this at first, and she should not become over tired because depending on what lung tissue they take out she may have reduction in her breathing capabilities.

I know your plate is full right now, but both of you need to find humor and companionship during both of your trials......this is tough on both of you and I hope family and friends can assist the first six weeks after you wife's surgery because each day she will get stronger. I will talk to you about the pathology after the surgery, but Vandy makes me happy because those folks are a teaching research hospital. Sometimes it does not seem fair, but tell your wife I have lasted ten years since my lobe was removed and the lungs are remarkable. Tell her to never touch a smoke again. I am going crazy with my wife's smoking, but her mother lived to 90 years chain smoking.....and me telling my wife anything is like a pit bull on a leash who thinks he is walking his owner.

View user profile

58 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/24/2018, 8:57 pm

My thoughts and prayers are still with you and now your wife. She is in excellent hands.

View user profile

59 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/28/2018, 6:52 pm

A quick update: We checked in per the schedule on Tuesday morning at 0730 but because of delays in the surgical unit it was 1230 before she was taken to OR. It was 1645 when she was brought to recovery and later placed in her room on the critical care floor. It was no surprise that her first 12 hours were challenging and she did very very well. Amazingly she was asking the staff when she could get up and they accommodated her and she walked two laps around the entire critical care floor . . . wow! That was Tuesday and on Thursday (yesterday) her chest tube was removed and three hours later we checked out and we came home. Today she has been cautiously active but active nonetheless . . . . she tried to persuade me to let her blow the leaves from the driveway . . . . good gawd I couldn't let her do it so she sat while I did. Obviously, the procedure was successful and she is bouncing back like the trooper she is but is she a tough and determined lady? Clearly . . . our last obstacle is get the lab results from her lobe . . . . . . if this comes back with a positive report this could have a very happy ending . . . . fingers crossed yall!!

View user profile

60 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/28/2018, 7:15 pm

So glad to hear that. She's tough..!!

View user profile

61 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/28/2018, 7:31 pm

Knot - what a great report!! Your wife sounds like a Mrs. Seaoat clone! Love hearing about all these strong, brave women.

Fingers crossed here, too, and will hope for the best lab results possible. Let us know, please, when you can.

View user profile

62 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/28/2018, 9:11 pm

Walking is essential to recovery. You have to get up and push the envelope depending on how much lung tissue was removed, and I love her spirit. Be careful. I have told the story of moving a fallen tree a couple days after I was released because I also was amazed that I could breathe.........dumb dumb dumb, but you need to stay active, and they should have given her a breathing gage to exercise her lung capacity......it is painful but important.

View user profile

63 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/29/2018, 9:45 am

So happy she is doing well.

View user profile

64 on 9/29/2018, 2:26 pm

First, thanks to all . . . . as always! She's amazing . . . . . I mean she is 70 yrs old after all but to Mr. Oats her entire left upper lobe was removed and the surgeon came to the consultation room with photographs, one of which was her resected upper lobe, completely intact and I was not quick enough or considered it not apropos but I still wonder how he got her lobe out through the small hole . . . . I don't understand that . . . . the lobe showed no signs of being cut or torn . . . . how the heck do they do that?
Yes Mr. Oats she brought home her breathing exerciser machine and she has search the Google machine and read about it . . . it is an exercise to improve inhaling strength as I see it but nevertheless she is on every hour. I am just so thankful to see her begin to get restored to her previous self.

View user profile

65 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/29/2018, 2:54 pm

When you hear that they are going to probably take a lung lobe out, you freak a bit thinking about how you will breath, but there are five lobes, and to my surprise about a year after the removal of my lobe, I had about 95% of my prior breathing capacity. That little hole is not so little, and she will be dealing with some nasty scar tissue down the road ten years from the operation where you barely noticed it a year after the operation, but became more pronounced and uncomfortable especially when she will be having cat scans and ask her to put her arms above her head. The lung exercise is tedious, but essential to recovery. Make sure your pulmonary doc schedules her regularly for pressurized breathing tests where they get a much more accurate assessment of lung obstruction. She will be back 100% in about nine months where a person looking at her would never guess she had a lung lobe removed.

Now please give us an update on your chemo and radiation.

View user profile

66 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/29/2018, 8:15 pm

2seaoat wrote:When you hear that they are going to probably take a lung lobe out, you freak a bit thinking about how you will breath, but there are five lobes, and to my surprise about a year after the removal of my lobe, I had about 95% of my prior breathing capacity.  That little hole is not so little, and she will be dealing with some nasty scar tissue down the road ten years from the operation where you barely noticed it a year after the operation, but became more pronounced and uncomfortable especially when she will be having cat scans and ask her to put her arms above her head.  The lung exercise is tedious, but essential to recovery.   Make sure your pulmonary doc schedules her regularly for pressurized breathing tests where they get a much more accurate assessment of lung obstruction.  She will be back 100% in about nine months where a person looking at her would never guess she had a lung lobe removed.

Now please give us an update on your chemo and radiation.

Cycle 2 begins this Tuesday, Cysplatin 6 hour infusion, I have a good book!

View user profile

67 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/30/2018, 2:23 am

knothead wrote:

Will be thinking of you on Tuesday, knot, and hoping for the very fewest and mildest possible after-effects. Good for you for soldiering on! We're with you all the way.

View user profile

68 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 9/30/2018, 4:34 pm

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:

Will be thinking of you on Tuesday, knot, and hoping for the very fewest and mildest possible after-effects.   Good for you for soldiering on!  We're with you all the way.

I do appreciate that Linda and thanks to you and all my forum friends for your sincere support . . . . it means a lot. In the short period since she and I got snake bit I have seen so many people in such a bad way . . . . it's frankly shocking to me that I was that naive', I mean I kinda knew it was there but seeing scores of really ill people has helped me keep our own maladies in context. Further, it is a reality check that I have become an old man . . . I mean I do not feel old I don't act old but make no mistake I'm old and when we are fortunate enough to be 'old' shit is gonna happen to you, just is . . . . not complicated and we can all cumulatively hope when that fickle finger of fate finds 'us' 'you' that hopefully it is not a death sentence, that it is manageable and/or that it is even curable. In my wife's and in my case it certainly appears to be manageable, in Mr. Oats case it has been manageable and speaking for my family we are just so dang fortunate. I'm rambling now but I know you all get my point . . . . live life is all I want to say and thanks to you all!

View user profile

69 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 10/1/2018, 1:01 pm

Thinking of you...

View user profile

70 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 10/1/2018, 6:17 pm

knothead wrote:live life is all I want to say and thanks to you all!

Thank YOU, knot, for sharing your acquired wisdom.   I'm right there with you in having a much truer realization these days of my mortality and how much sooner the end is approaching.  I guess "live life" means different things to different people, but the point is to appreciate every day, and I hope we all get that. Still, I agree it definitely becomes a more poignant truth as we age (and especially when we fall ill).

View user profile

71 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 10/1/2018, 6:17 pm

Go well tomorrow....

View user profile

72 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 10/3/2018, 8:23 pm

RealLindaL wrote:Go well tomorrow....

It was an all dayer but check that sucker off the list!

View user profile

73 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 10/4/2018, 12:51 am

knothead wrote:

cheers   cheers   cheers  

Hope you're feeling reasonably OK and stay that way!

View user profile

74 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 10/4/2018, 8:49 am

Glad things are improving, but still sorry ya'll are having to go through so much. Keep toughing it out, you'll get better! Just a big struggle along the way, but it'll pay off.

View user profile

75 Re: Knothead...How are you? on 10/4/2018, 12:00 pm

knothead wrote:

cheers

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum