Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Needed changes in our immigration law ...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

We should consider that many of the illegal aliens who cross our borders illegally are indeed escaping from gang and/or political violence in their home countries. Currently, Guatemala, Honduras, Bolivia and Ecuador are the countries from whom the majority of Central American refugees are fleeing.

We need to get involved in aiding the governments of these countries to rid violent gangs and drug dealing operations. We need American operatives working on site with host governments to accomplish such goals. And if necessary, we need to provide the troops, munitions, logistic capabilities and intelligence leadership to change the situations.

Economically, we need to apply aid where we can be sure it's being used properly to provide jobs and other economic improvements that will help eliminate the urge for so many people to flee their home countries.

We need to drastically improve our vetting processes to make investigations of aliens applying for asylum and refugee status quick and decisive. We can employ agents in the countries involved, who, working with American leaders can quickly go to the former home site of a refugee applicant, talk to family members and neighbors, and quickly determine whether the applicant is really justified, or not. If not, they should be deported along with any of their children.

Their are dozens of factories in the U.S. who utilize non-resident aliens for labor ... and by far the bulk of these workers have proven to be good, honest hard-working people. Why not make a temporary worker's permit available and eventually, if they prove themselves worthy, give them access to a Green Card, and maybe a path to citizenship?

These things can be done without damaging our values, morality or national image.

I welcome your comments.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

I will only comment that one has to be cognizant of the realities of the history of American colonialism in Central America and the remembrance and sensitivities of many in those countries to that.  That's a big fly-in-the-ointment of some of the remedies you propose in our second paragraph, 'Wordie'.

And I bet corporate America and the multinationals would love to get their grubby little fingers into some of those initiatives you outline should they actually to come to pass.  You know how our political system works in that regard, I'm sure.  Might not be all cupcakes, rainbows, and unicorns as some might like to envision.

The biggest problem with those countries is corruption. But for that, they could solve much of their own problems. Corruption of the monied and landed classes.  To effectively go the way you propose, one might have to adopt a policy of, as "Dick The Butcher" in Shakespeare's Henry VI put it ... "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"   :lol:

I have other thoughts on it .. but that's all for now.

Read up some on Nicaragua, I might suggest to anyone who hasn't.  Has nobody noticed with all this hullabaloo about Central Americans going on of late that we don't have a huge problem with illegal aliens from Nicaragua?  It's interesting vis-a-vis Wordie's ideas in light of our years of failed intervention in that country.

2seaoat

increase legal immigration from these countries. Do the processing in their nation. Show immigrants that the legal route is plausible and effective compared to failure trying to cross the border illegally. We need immigrants.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

2seaoat wrote:increase legal immigration from these countries.  Do the processing in their nation.   Show immigrants that the legal route is plausible and effective compared to failure trying to cross the border illegally.  We need immigrants.

Great post! Great ideas! Thanks Seaoat

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

2seaoat wrote:increase legal immigration from these countries.  Do the processing in their nation.   Show immigrants that the legal route is plausible and effective compared to failure trying to cross the border illegally.  We need immigrants.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum