Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paleo, Keto, etc

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Paleo, Keto, etc Empty Paleo, Keto, etc Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:24 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Anybody doing any of this stuff?

I've been eating paleo-ish for two years now & dropped 40 pounds without changing my activity level much   (had put on some weight since I retired)  I'm lean-n-mean again!

I'm not extreme though ... I just minimize my empty carbs and starchy foods; eat good meats and lots of fresh veggies and some fruits.  I don't like my cooked veggies overcooked either and I like all kinds of raw veggies.  I avoid highly processed foods when I can and I'm a real hawk about sugar in my foods.  I don't do much dairy though, never really have, except small amounts of good cheeses here & there.  I love me some good cheese once in awhile.  I do cook with butter too.  Or olive oil.  I cut the vegetable oils out as much as I can.  No margarines either.  And I avoid soy.

I'm pretty skeptical about the whole "keto" thing though ... I know some people on it.  Seems kind of extreme and unnatural to me.  Not to mention probably pretty hard to sustain as a permanent diet.  Why would you want to put your body in a permanent state of ketosis?  Ketosis is what they used to monitor our long-term criminal Mariel Cuban detainees the BOP used to keep for us when they would go on a hunger strike so they would know when to force/tube feed them.

2Paleo, Keto, etc Empty Re: Paleo, Keto, etc Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

EmeraldGhost wrote:Anybody doing any of this stuff?

I've been eating paleo-ish for two years now & dropped 40 pounds without changing my activity level much   (had put on some weight since I retired)  I'm lean-n-mean again!

I'm not extreme though ... I just minimize my empty carbs and starchy foods; eat good meats and lots of fresh veggies and some fruits.  I don't like my cooked veggies overcooked either and I like all kinds of raw veggies.  I avoid highly processed foods when I can and I'm a real hawk about sugar in my foods.  I don't do much dairy though, never really have, except small amounts of good cheeses here & there.  I love me some good cheese once in awhile.  I do cook with butter too.  Or olive oil.  I cut the vegetable oils out as much as I can.  No margarines either.  And I avoid soy.

I'm pretty skeptical about the whole "keto" thing though ... I know some people on it.  Seems kind of extreme and unnatural to me.  Not to mention probably pretty hard to sustain as a permanent diet.  Why would you want to put your body in a permanent state of ketosis?  Ketosis is what they used to monitor our long-term criminal Mariel Cuban detainees the BOP used to keep for us when they would go on a hunger strike so they would know when to force/tube feed them.

My doctor advised me to limit carbs, which I do to some extent. Don't cut out olive oil or the other Omega 3 oils. I also use butter, never margarine. I have lost some weight lately because I almost completely gave up beer.

3Paleo, Keto, etc Empty Re: Paleo, Keto, etc Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:04 am

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Floridatexan wrote:
My doctor advised me to limit carbs, which I do to some extent.  Don't cut out olive oil or the other Omega 3 oils.  I also use butter, never margarine.  I have lost some weight lately because I almost completely gave up beer.

I do about the same as you on that stuff.  Beer/alcohol ... pretty much quit it over the past few years (though for a long time I could drink any man/woman under the table).  Cannabis is a far better relaxant when/where one can get it IMO  ... and no carbs/sugar.  

My dad had a huge heart attack right about the same age I am and my body type is much like his was.   He beat the odds and survived it, but ...  So I always have that in the back of my mind. Try to watch my stress levels too ... I think that's important in that regard.  

Been reading a lot these past few years about the effects of diet and stress levels on inflammation in one's body ... seems inflammation aggravates the onset of many diseases (including heart, my personal big concern) and other bodily ills.

I used to have a partner when I lived up in Kansas City (law enforcement, not domestic) who was a super fitness guy ... small build but he was an absolute monster physically.  Could do a hundred pushups standing on his head without even breathing hard (great guy to have next to you out on the street or when kicking in a door)  Even competed on that tv show that used to be on "American Gladiators" ... didn't win but he got pretty far along in the process.  Would ride a hundred miles on his bike on a Saturday .. for fun!  Anyway I tell you this because I learned a lot about the discipline and mentality of true health/diet/fitness  ... he like to drink and even get drunk now & then ... but it was only Tequila straight for him.    He'd have the occasional glass of some really good craft beer.

I'm a real hawk about sugar myself ... and lots of alcoholic beverages are chock full of 'em.

Smoking is my biggest health downfall and what I struggle with. I'm as addicted as any heroin addict. (Thank you very much Uncle Sam for getting me started on that!) I have switched to those little filtered cigars ... don't have all the additives they put in cigarettes and cheaper. Did you know cigars are taxed way cheaper than cigs?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum