Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who do you believe--Mitt, or your lyin' memory?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/10/who_do_you_believe--mitt_or_yo.html

An interesting entry from Roger Ebert.

A depression has descended upon me. I look at the blank screen, and those are the words that come into my mind. I do not believe for a second that Mitt Romney will win the election. I do believe that at this moment he is tied, 50-50, in various national polls. Many of my fellow Americans have at least temporarily disappointed me.
It is clear to anyone in either party that in last week's debate Romney cast aside all of his principles and reversed himself on everything he has said he believes. As Hendrik Hertzberg worded it in the New Yorker:

"By the end of ninety minutes, Romney had retrofitted himself as the defender of Medicare, the advocate of Wall Street regulation, the scourge of the big banks, the enemy of tax cuts for the rich, and the champion of tax relief for the middle class. All these claims are spectacularly false."

Well, they are, aren't they? Pause with me a moment to recall the campaign before the debate. If someone had handed you that paragraph and asked you which candidate it described, would you have said it fit Obama, or Romney? The Romney who walked into the debate hall was on record for most of the previous eight years as the opponent of all the items on the list. And his running mate Paul Ryan has been even more outspokenly opposed.

I have no desire to debate the pros and cons of those issues. I simply wish to point out that Romney changed his position on each and every one.

After reversing himself on the central issues of the campaign, Romney's standing went up in the polls. How? Why? Were the members of the electorate paying absolutely no attention to the campaign? Were they responding only to the general opinion that Romney "won" the debate? Is winning, in the pro football truism, now the only thing?

Something that puzzled me is that there were no howls of protest from the Right. Romney now presented himself as the advocate of positions hated by the Right, and there wasn't a squeak of protest from the conservatives who have been excoriating Obama on the same issues. Did they all reach a common consensus that if it was necessary for Romney to lie, then let him lie? The Right has been advising him for months to be true to conservative issues. That wasn't working. Now he was being true to liberal issues.

The silence from the Right reminded me of another deafening quiet when there should have been a response recently. On the infamous tape of Romney addressing a room filled with his millionaire and billionaire backers, he essentially wrote off 47% of the American electorate. But not long after, in an interview on Fox News, Romney rolled that back, saying "I said something that's just completely wrong."

The rich men in that room presumably pledged a fortune to the Romney campaign chest. Were any of them offended that Romney no longer agreed with what he told them? We haven't heard from them.

Obama continues in the Presidential campaign in possession of his own lifelong principles. Romney now seeks the luxury of running on both his principles--and Obama's. What depresses me is that the polls suggest the electorate isn't alert enough to realize that. What allows me hope is that, given a little time, I trust the American people will figure this one out.

I'm pretty sure he could just blame it on a random youtube video and no one would question it.

Voting for romney would be like Turkeys voting for another Thanksgiving..

Lurch wrote:Voting for romney would be like Turkeys voting for another Thanksgiving..

Voting for BHO is best described as:

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
― Albert Einstein

To compare Romney to Gary Johnson I quote a portion of Johnsens Bio:
"Governor Johnson brings a distinctly business-like mentality to governing, believing that decisions should be made based on cost-benefit analysis rather than strict ideology."

Perhaps Romney, at the end of the day, could do the same thing. Who knows? Maybe Johnson would have a chance in 2016 but he does not have the slightest chance in this election cycle.

And between BHO and Romney, well it is obvious BHO can't get the job done.

Sal

Sal

Yeah, when I was watching the debate, I saw Romney as a overly-caffeinated, rude, and preposterous liar. And, I saw Obama as a calm, aloof, professorial presence clearly in command of the issues. I thought that the optics were not good for Obama as he repeatedly looked down to take notes and appeared exasperated at Romney's firehose of bullshit, but he clearly won on substance. Immediately, after the debate it became obvious that optics is the only thing that matters in U.S. presidential debates, as evidenced by the nuclear meltdown and betwetting on all of the media outlets.

There's no doubt that the Obama administration has taken note of the reactions, and will adjust their strategy accordingly. The problem for Obama is that if he is more aggressive and confrontational, I'm 100% certain the media narrative following the next debate will be that he appeared to be an angry, scary black man.

salinsky wrote: And, I saw Obama as a calm, aloof, professorial presence clearly in command of the issues. n.

Only rabid ultra-liberals believe BHO stood out. Who knows what will happen next time, I don't look for BHO to appear as weak and ineffectual as he was in the 1st debate, but then he won't have to deal with such a dramatic altitude change, right? Were you drunk when you watched the debate?

nochain wrote:
salinsky wrote: And, I saw Obama as a calm, aloof, professorial presence clearly in command of the issues. n.

Only rabid ultra-liberals believe BHO stood out. Who knows what will happen next time, I don't look for BHO to appear as weak and ineffectual as he was in the 1st debate, but then he won't have to deal with such a dramatic altitude change, right? Were you drunk when you watched the debate?

Wonder how he will spin the problems with embassy attacks and murdering of Americans...The COWH was as only he could be...unable to defend his failure of a record...The proof as to the better performance in the debate was watching the loony lefties on MSNBC that claim to be journalists...

nochain wrote:

You apparently don't mind your candidate changed all his positions against the ire of his party to win votes. Is Romney a democrat now or a used car salesman? Why would you vote for somebody who has no convictions and changes like a chameleon just to get in the White House? You must have no integrity like your candidate.

whoa... why does obama get a pass?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum