This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump's Tarrifs

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Trump's Tarrifs on 6/15/2018, 11:08 am

It's like beating your own children because your neighbor beats his.  

If he wanted nations to reduce/eliminate their tariffs on various US goods .... why'd he pull out of the TPP?  Maybe it needed some tweaks .... but reducing/eliminating tariffs was the whole point of the darn thing !! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Wharton oughta revoke his business degree.

View user profile

2 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/26/2018, 12:38 am

Ummm, what was that Mr President you were saying about bringing manufacturing jobs back to the USA from overseas?

Are we "winning" yet?

Rolling Eyes



Harley-Davidson will move some production out of US after retaliatory tariffs

he company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

Harley-Davidson's move is some of the most direct evidence yet that tit-for-tat trade fights between the United States and other countries have consequences for American companies. Harley-Davidson said it stood to lose as much as $100 million a year.

....

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/25/news/companies/harley-davidson-motorcycles-tariffs-trump/index.html

View user profile

3 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/26/2018, 7:48 am

His stated goal is to do away with tariffs on both sides of trade deals... as well as protecting intellectual property.

I don't know if this tactic will work. But why should we always get the short end of the stick?

View user profile

4 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/26/2018, 9:46 pm




Trump trade policies threaten 2.6 million US jobs, Chamber of Commerce says

President Trump's strict stance on trade could put 2.6 million American jobs at risk, the head of the Chamber of Commerce says.
Tom Donohue, president and CEO of the business organization, issued the forecast in a memo to the board of directors Thursday that was obtained by CNNMoney.

The memo, citing outside studies, adds the possible job losses from tariffs both threatened and enacted by the administration, plus a possible US withdrawal from NAFTA, the trade agreement with Canada and Mexico.

A NAFTA withdrawal would kill as many as 1.8 million American jobs in the first year, the memo warned.

In addition, tariffs against China could cost 134,000 US jobs, steel and aluminum tariffs could cost 470,000 jobs, and tariffs on autos and auto parts could cost 157,000 jobs, Donohue warned.

He sent the memo on the same day the administration said it would impose steep tariffs on steel and aluminum from three of America's biggest trading partners — Canada, Mexico and the European Union.

The trade penalties, 25% on imported steel and 10% on imported aluminum, take effect at midnight. Canada, Mexico and the EU quickly announced plans to retaliate with their own tariffs on American goods.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/31/news/chamber-of-commerce-trade-jobs/index.html

View user profile

5 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/26/2018, 9:57 pm

PkrBum wrote:His stated goal is to do away with tariffs on both sides of trade deals... as well as protecting intellectual property.

I don't know if this tactic will work. But why should we always get the short end of the stick?

What does it matter how big the stick is if you use it to poke out your own eye?

View user profile

6 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/26/2018, 10:06 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:His stated goal is to do away with tariffs on both sides of trade deals... as well as protecting intellectual property.

I don't know if this tactic will work. But why should we always get the short end of the stick?

What does it matter how big the stick is if you use it to poke out your own eye?

Do you seriously not understand how to negotiate? Or is the leftist talkingpoint just irresistible?

View user profile

7 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/26/2018, 10:13 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:His stated goal is to do away with tariffs on both sides of trade deals... as well as protecting intellectual property.

I don't know if this tactic will work. But why should we always get the short end of the stick?

What does it matter how big the stick is if you use it to poke out your own eye?

Very apt/valid response, 'Flo'

View user profile

8 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 8:44 am

Yeah, pulling out of the TPP was stupid in the first place. I know a lot of Bernie fans wanted to do that, too, but they were wrong, too. It wasn't perfect (what is?) but could be tweaked to improve it. Pulling out of that just made opportunities for other countries, which they've been quick to capitalize on. And the tariffs have just shot that full of steroids, so the rest of the world is learning how to work around us. They're forming new partnerships and we're getting left out in the cold. We're not indispensable yet, o' course, but the rest of the world's been inspired to try to marginalize us as much as possible... and they're opening new markets because now they have a chance to be more competitive than we are.

It won't sink us - we're too big and too embedded for that -- but it will cause us to decline more. Anyone who thinks this is "making America great" is a fucking moron who should probably have someone else make all their important decisions for them.

Problem is, we're at a state where a whole lot of people are willing to self-destruct just to piss off the other side. The American population is getting brainwashed and imbecilic.

View user profile

9 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 3:03 pm

zsomething wrote:Yeah, pulling out of the TPP was stupid in the first place.   I know a lot of Bernie fans wanted to do that, too, but they were wrong, too.  It wasn't perfect (what is?) but could be tweaked to improve it.  Pulling out of that just made opportunities for other countries, which they've been quick to capitalize on.  And the tariffs have just shot that full of steroids, so the rest of the world is learning how to work around us.  They're forming new partnerships and we're getting left out in the cold.   We're not indispensable yet, o' course, but the rest of the world's been inspired to try to marginalize us as much as possible... and they're opening new markets because now they have a chance to be more competitive than we are.

It won't sink us - we're too big and too embedded for that -- but it will cause us to decline more.  Anyone who thinks this is "making America great" is a fucking moron who should probably have someone else make all their important decisions for them.

Problem is, we're at a state where a whole lot of people are willing to self-destruct just to piss off the other side.   The American population is getting brainwashed and imbecilic.


One problem with trade wars I've read about is when other countries put retaliatory tarrifs on American products ... take soybeans for example.  Chinese tarrifs on soybeans make other producer countries more competitive in that particular Chinese market. Like Brazil for just one example ... so Brazilian soybean farmers ramp up production to fill the supply, their soybeans suddenly having become more competitive in the Chinese market.  US farms at the same time having become less competitive in that market so make plans to scale down production (big Ag has to plan a year ahead what they are going to produce according to predicted demand)  Now the Brazilians have taken a lot of our soybeans to China trade and ramped up their own production.  Even when the tarriffs are lifted it can be hard for US producers to get that market back ... and maybe a year to ramp production back up so they can try to get the part of the market they lost to some other country producers back.

I just use China and soybeans as one example .. there are many other products and countries to which the same economic principle applies.

But Trump's not an economics major or trade expert ... and doesn't seem to want to listen to those who are.

And no ... he didn't graduate in the top of his class.  Due to privacy issues Wharton will not release his actual grades, but he's not even listed among any of the honor graduates or anything.  He only attended the highly regarded Wharton as a transfer student after two years at Fordham .. and likely got in because of his brother's connection with an admission's officer.  He likely graduated with a BA in finance/business ... and not cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laud ... he graduated cum nada!

View user profile

10 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 3:44 pm


Or, it could be very deliberate, although, I agree, Drumpf couldn't think this stuff up for himself. He really is not very bright.

View user profile

11 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 5:56 pm

Again... his stated goal is no tariffs on either side. Pure evil. Rolling Eyes

View user profile

12 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 7:04 pm

Well I did read an article mentioning one point in Trump's favor so far as a trade war ... China and a lot of other countries will run out of American goods to slap tariffs on long before we will run out of their products to do the same.

View user profile

13 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 7:14 pm

PkrBum wrote:Again... his stated goal is no tariffs on either side.  ...

Trump says a lot of sh*t.  

I wouldn't take anything to the bank the man says till I see it happen.



Last edited by EmeraldGhost on 6/27/2018, 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

14 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 7:16 pm

It's just a negotiation. Posturing... dissemination... finger pointing... scare tactics. It's not pretty.

Just as I had hopes that obama could defuse the ME... this is something that trump could improve.

Why don't we want the most fair deal possible? Serious question.

View user profile

15 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 7:56 pm

PkrBum wrote:It's just a negotiation. Posturing... dissemination... finger pointing... scare tactics. It's not pretty.

Just as I had hopes that obama could defuse the ME... this is something that trump could improve.

Why don't we want the most fair deal possible? Serious question.

I kind of doubt "posturing" and "scare tactics" are much beneficial in a negotiation when everyone knows what you are doing with that.  It can be detrimental, in fact.

Personally, I have little experience in business negotiations, but I do have a lot of experience with interrogations and the same principle applies.

Honestly, I think Trump just shoots his mouth of on a lot of things mostly for the benefit of his Trumpaloopa base ... and for his own self-aggrandizement/ego. He's a "legend in his own mind."

View user profile

16 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 8:24 pm

Nothing is really set yet... despite the headlines. Results matter. I'd really like to see us focus on the southern Americas. If we're going to get ripped off... let's build up those economies. We've got the greatest economic engine in history. We could gut countries that don't want to play fair. We are in the upper position. That's a good thing. It's going to be ok.

View user profile

17 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/27/2018, 10:02 pm

PkrBum wrote:Nothing is really set yet... despite the headlines. Results matter. I'd really like to see us focus on the southern Americas. If we're going to get ripped off... let's build up those economies. We've got the greatest economic engine in history. We could gut countries that don't want to play fair. We are in the upper position. That's a good thing. It's going to be ok.

Supposing Trump is sucessful in garnering some modest improvements in our trade agreements with other countries that are beneficial to us (and I have no doubt he may very well have some "wins" here & there and to some lesser or greater degree.). ... but, will the pain to American companies and workers have been worth whatever the gain turns out to be in the end?

Other countries have their industries and workers to worry about too ... not to mention their own national pride.  In my experience people will endure a lot of pain and suffering on account of pride.  That would apply to countries and national pride too.  You can only push people so far.

View user profile

18 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/28/2018, 5:53 pm

A tariff is simply a tax on the American people to artificially prop up weak companies. My biggest fear is that if a person knew in advance who would be getting waivers the Wall Street rip off by insiders could be literally in the trillions over the next few years. I do not believe he is doing anything in the nation's interest which does not have an angle where he can with his hand written notes in the oval office get the word out to the layers of quid pro quo in his ownership interest who can exploit the inside information. This has NOTHING to do with what is best for America.....it appears random, but you can bet money on it people are making a killing shorting stock right now, and then after the shorting they pour the ill got profit into those companies who suddenly are granted waivers.....friends and family profit. In regard to Korea, I think Trump will actually do something good for the country, but this is a blank check for those Russian mobsters to pour money into the markets with inside information.....this criminal enterprise is much bigger than imagined when you talk tariffs.

View user profile

19 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/28/2018, 8:51 pm

2seaoat wrote:A tariff is simply a tax on the American people to artificially prop up weak companies.  My biggest fear is that if a person knew in advance who would be getting waivers the Wall Street rip off by insiders could be literally in the trillions over the next few years.  I do not believe he is doing anything in the nation's interest which does not have an angle where he can with his hand written notes in the oval office get the word out to the layers of quid pro quo in his ownership interest who can exploit the inside information.  This has NOTHING to do with what is best for America.....it appears random, but you can bet money on it people are making a killing shorting stock right now, and then after the shorting they pour the ill got profit into those companies who suddenly are granted waivers.....friends and family profit.  In regard to Korea, I think Trump will actually do something good for the country, but this is a blank check for those Russian mobsters to pour money into the markets with inside information.....this criminal enterprise is much bigger than imagined when you talk tariffs.

Agree with most of what you say there 'Oatie' ... excepting that one sentence in your post I bolded. I'm personally quite skeptical of that.

View user profile

20 Re: Trump's Tarrifs on 6/29/2018, 4:00 pm

Well, Trump seems to think that bullying Harley-Davidson for "making him look bad" (which Trump assumes is of major concern to everyone on this planet which, after all, rotates around him) is going to convince them to take a several-hundred-million-dollar bath. Good effin' luck with that strategy, ye great orange pudding!

And now the walloping moron wants to withdraw from the World Trade Organization and also makes noises about getting out of NATO.

Both of those things would be major disasters for the United States and Europe and, pretty much the entire rest of the world. About the only place that would benefit from such actions would be... Russia.

Are people really going to allow our country to get gutted and ruined just so Putin won't reveal to the world that Donald Trump likes little boys... or whatever the hell it is that Putin has over Trump? Because it's damn sure something. And it's gotta be more than just the fabled pee-pee tape, because, jeez. With Trump's warped sensibilities it may just be that Russia knows he's actually not a successful businessman and has just been maintaining the illusion by a big-scale version of the old paying-off-one-credit-card-with-another-credit-card scam... which is what Trump seems to be doing instead of having actual wealth. Trump probably fears the world knowing he's actually not rich more than he would being a pervert.

In any case, he's sure planning a lot of stuff that'd be great for Russia, but lousy for us.

I'm not sure where that jag-off who used to post here under a new name every other day is, but he used to brag about how much he was going to make when he retired. I wonder if he'd support this withdrawl from the WTO. Because if that happens, none of us are likely going to be retiring. The Dow would drop a thousand points a day.

View user profile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum