This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PBS special on Teddy Roosevelt's expedition to the Amazon at 55....tough hombre

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I never knew about his amazing trek to the headwaters of the amazon and Roosevelt almost dying after eighty or so days in an absolute jungle without a clue where the river would take them. How did we have an amazing President like Roosevelt not get elected again, yet a POS like Trump gets elected. I think the difference is that America has become the land of Scardy Cats, who accept a police state, standing terrorizing armies who kill innocents in the name of war on ideas, and wussy men who could not survive a camping trip to the local state park unless they had AC and a soft bed. The idea that a person stricken with serious asthma as a child could challenge his very physical limits just resonates with my ideals, and his trust busting common sense is what in part made me a life long republican......now dixiecrats call themselves republicans and the wealthy and their built in advantage rape the American people. Where is a Teddy Roosevelt now in American politics.....gone forever replaced by wimp silver spooned racist.

View user profile
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1912

Roosevelt had served as president from 1901 to 1909, and Taft had won the 1908 Republican president nomination with Roosevelt's support. Displeased with Taft's actions as president, Roosevelt challenged Taft at the 1912 Republican National Convention. After Taft and his conservative allies narrowly prevailed at the Republican convention, Roosevelt rallied his progressive supporters and launched a third party bid.

View user profile
PkrBum wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1912

Roosevelt had served as president from 1901 to 1909, and Taft had won the 1908 Republican president nomination with Roosevelt's support. Displeased with Taft's actions as president, Roosevelt challenged Taft at the 1912 Republican National Convention. After Taft and his conservative allies narrowly prevailed at the Republican convention, Roosevelt rallied his progressive supporters and launched a third party bid.

The enormous Taft is famous for getting stuck in the White House bathtub. In reality there is no record of such an event ever happening and that story started circulating decades later.

View user profile
What struck me several times is how utterly alone these explorers were when they started running into problems and began losing members of the expedition. Today, one phone call and a helicopter would pick them up from the adventure. Roosevelt could have easily died on that dangerous trek, and at 55 to take on such a physical journey of danger was incredible. It reminds me of the courage of our military leaders during the Civil War.....they were in the front lines having horses shot right out underneath them as so many died on the front lines.

Today we have a military which gets a whopper at a burger king across the street from a military facility which is killing people with drones from thousands of miles away.......no leader is at risk, and in a mercenary military where it is essential to keep the American people funding the same, just create false heroics......like bombing a hospital full of children is the same courage of one general in the civil war. We have fallen so far as we have become a nation of fantasy and wanabee militarization which harms the world.

View user profile
I don't have any problem at all with having a military that can win wars electronically from thousands of miles away, so long as their aim is at the right people.
Problem is, we haven't aimed at the right people since World War II.
And the other problem is the hero worship of everything and everyone that wears a military insignia of any kind in this country. There are very few real heroes in the military, and there have always been very few real heroes in the military. It's demeaning to those who are and were true heroes to call everyone  by that name.  The news media is to blame for it. After 911 they started that term and now no one is willing to stop using it for fear of being called UnAmerican.
It's ridiculous. And back on topic, TR was a great man and a great POTUS. Certainly nothing like we have now.

View user profile
Sorry. I do not believe ten to one odds with remote delivery of weapons where nobody has skin or risk in the game is evil in and of itself. America is the biggest threat on the globe. The problem will be obvious when the battle becomes 2-1 or even. A mercenary military throughout history has been a disposable military. Teddy Roosevelt was a tough guy. We do not have tough guys anymore. Hollywood rules, and the propaganda turning 99 percent of veterans into heroes is a necessary prerequisite to militarization and fascism. Citizen soldiers defending their nation are the exception.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum