This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The disaster that will occur if Oprah runs and wins. . .

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Yes Oprah is a brilliant businesswoman, and an inspiring person with a caring personality. But the facts are, like Obama she's black. We can expect the same racist, rigid opposition to her from the republicans that Obama received. And although she's the opposite of Trump when it comes to caring about the quality of life for most Americans, as Presidential material they both share the same flaw: Neither one understands how the government works, and how to work the congress to get what they hope to achieve. Look at what we have with Trump -- both the democrats and republicans distrust him and find ways to work around his idiosyncrasies. Did we get the wonderful health plan he promised? Did we get better wages for the middle and lower classes? Have the costs of upper education dropped? Most of us don't own stocks, so how do we benefit from a bull market? Have we won any of the 76 wars we're now paying for?

What we need in the White House are realistic, progressive liberals who do understand the game. And Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders have been in the game for years and are experts at it. I like Oprah, but when it comes to actually getting anything done, I trust Warren or Sanders a lot more!!

View user profile
I don't think there's any reason to dismiss Oprah out of hand. If she put her arguments together neatly then she'd certainly have populist support and a mandate if elected. She certainly speaks very effectively. That said... I doubt she really goes after potus full bore. Most likely (if at all) she uses the platform to shift dialogue and then bows out.

View user profile
I like Oprah...a lot...but I don't see her entering the race. The calls for that were a response to her outstanding speech at the Golden Globes.

View user profile
I don't want Oprah to run because I haven't seen any real presidential skills displayed. She's a great person and runs a very successful business, but that's not enough for the job in question. She'd have to show me a lot more economic and foreign policy knowledge to get me seriously considering this, because I respect her skills in her field, and I think she's a good person, but that doesn't necessarily translate for the job in question. The job is too important to just play with. If there's someone who's a great musician and architect and runs a multi-million dollar business selling cars and the nicest person you'd ever meet, and there's a total asshole with an armed robbery conviction who has a medical degree and fifteen years experience as a surgeon, guess who I'm picking to take out my appendix?

Oprah does have some drawbacks, too. She gave us Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil, and she's a bit of an anti-vaxxer, and I consider those people loonietoons.

That said, I wouldn't put much past Oprah, if she applied herself. She could probably learn the job. But, she's not my preferred candidate.

But "this'll upset the Republicans" is no longer a factor for me. It used to be, but after seeing how unhinged they went and turned a mild centrist like Obama into their scariest boogeyman ever, stocking up ammo and claiming that he somehow divided the races when the fact is they just couldn't handle having a black guy in the White House, living in complete denial about the good he did... sorry, but I am not giving a good goddamn about appeasing Republicans anymore. Could not give a shit less about 'em. I live in a state full of them, I deal with 'em every day, and while some of them aren't evil, just confused, they're the dumb side of the scale and the less they have to do with running anything, the better off the world will be. And nothing's ever going to quell their paranoia, nothing's ever going to meet their approval except a Nazi, so... to hell with 'em. After sticking us with Trump and cheering on white supremacists, fuck 'em -- making them happy is no longer something that concerns me. I take no joy in seeing them upset, but, I've given up on the idea that anything can be done about it. They're not really a political party now, they're cultists, and you'll go insane trying to appease cultists with anything that's outside their cult. All you can do is marginalize them so they do the least damage to the country. So, them hating Oprah doesn't matter to me. They're fighting groupthink cartoons they make up in their own heads, not real people, and they'll hate anybody if they're a Democrat. You could put Mr. Rogers in there and they'd hate his guts by the end of the week, so, nope, ain't even gonna start playing that losing game. You'll go crazy trying.

As for Elizabeth Warren, I could probably get behind that.

Bernie, though... nope. Bernie means well, he's good at identifying (obvious) problems, but his solutions for them were always detail-free and unrealistic -- the lefty version of Trump's idiot "wall." Everything would be paid for "somehow," even though his plans never came anywhere close to adding up. The guy displays no knowledge of real-world nuts-and-bolts economics, at all. He has about five minutes worth of ideas that he repeats, over and over and over and over. I'm not a Bernie fan in the least. I'd vote for him over a Republican (that party's rendered itself unviable), but, honestly, I'd worry about as much about the running of the country with Bernie at the helm as I do now. He has good intentions, but I honestly don't believe in him, at all. I think he'd be another Jimmy Carter -- good man, lousy president. We need someone a whole lot better than that.

View user profile
Wordslinger wrote:Yes Oprah is a brilliant businesswoman, and an inspiring person with a caring personality.  But the facts are, like Obama she's black.  We can expect the same racist, rigid opposition to her from the republicans that Obama received.  And although she's the opposite of Trump when it comes to caring about the quality of life for most Americans, as Presidential material they both share the same flaw: Neither one understands how the government works, and how to work the congress to get what they hope to achieve.  Look at what we have with Trump -- both the democrats and republicans distrust him and find ways to work around his idiosyncrasies.  Did we get the wonderful health plan he promised?  Did we get better wages for the middle and lower classes?  Have the costs of upper education dropped?  Most of us don't own stocks, so how do we benefit from a bull market?  Have we won any of the 76 wars we're now paying for?  

What we need in the White House are realistic, progressive liberals who do understand the game.  And Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders have been in the game for years and are experts at it.  I like Oprah, but when it comes to actually getting anything done, I trust Warren or Sanders a lot more!!  

Warren okay. Sanders too old.

View user profile
What about Adam Schiff? Has there ever been a Congressional representative (vs. a senator) nominated for president? Not sure where he stands on the economics knowledge, but what I do like (not necessarily in this order) is that he's (1)unflappable under stress, (2)well-spoken, (3) eminently logical and reasonable, and (4)has a well-developed sense of justice and rightness. A lot like Obama, actually, or so it seems to me.

Anyone else like Schiff?

View user profile

View user profile
Oprah is less qualified than Trump. This insatiable American appetite for celebrity over competency needs to simply end. Anybody which meets the constitutional requirements can be elected President. However, the learning curves over the last nine years has been too much for this nation to absorb. Our nation's best Presidents usually have experience in the governor's office actually running a state. Sure Lincoln and Washington are exceptions to that rule, and Bush and Carter were governors, but we need experience......Oprah and Trump are fools whose egos do not belong in public service. They both would have served America if they never got involved in Presidential politics.

View user profile
2seaoat wrote:Oprah is less qualified than Trump.  This insatiable American appetite for celebrity over competency needs to simply end.   Anybody which meets the constitutional requirements can be elected President.  However, the learning curves over the last nine years has been too much for this nation to absorb.  Our nation's best Presidents usually have experience in the governor's office actually running a state.  Sure Lincoln and Washington are exceptions to that rule, and Bush and Carter were governors, but we need experience......Oprah and Trump are fools whose egos do not belong in public service.  They both would have served America if they never got involved in Presidential politics.

Don't be a spoil sport. Oprah is scaring the shit out of the cracker barrel republicans with just the thought of her running. Go Oprah!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum