This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Skipping Chritmas

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Skipping Chritmas on 12/1/2017, 1:00 pm

So ... now that dear daughter (DD) has moved out and gone to grad school in Texas leaving the nest empty, we are pretty much skipping Christmas this year.

22+ years of doing the whole shebang, but this year there'll be no lights on the house, no tree, no decorations ... won't even unpack all the xmas knick-knacks (although I'll probably throw a token wreath on the front door.)

We will, however be travelling out to Texas to visit DD & some other relatives during the holidays.

Anybody else .. skipping Christmas?

View user profile

2 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/1/2017, 8:09 pm

We just got done decorating the house. Those projectors are really cool as we are going to purchase a second one Saturday. We have them projected on the house and a huge tree adjacent to the house and it make the tree look like we hung lights throughout the tree. It is tough coordinating Christmas between the families. We always celebrate as a family a couple of days before Christmas as both kids spend time with the inlaws on Christmas eve and Christmas day. We have adjusted to the schedule and enjoy the grandkids when our family gets together. Laid back and happy to still be breathing.

View user profile

3 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/2/2017, 1:51 am

Tree up but not decorated yet. I think I will do the projector.

View user profile

4 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/2/2017, 8:51 pm

Seaoat, great minds think alike. I have a sega (or is it sego?) that I decorate every year by simply aiming a green spotlight on it and putting balls on the fronds. This year though, with the eye problems I've had, I've gotten paranoid about the possibility of poking anything into my right eye. So I bought the spotlights that spray beads of light all over your house and focused them only on the palm fronds. My god, it is really beautiful. I don't have to put the balls on the tree anymore, and it's the only decoration I have in my front yard, but it is so pretty it's enough. The tree's been up since the day before Thanksgiving and we also have a beautiful bubble light menorah on the fireplace. I pretend it's a Christmas decoration and put greenery and ribbons around it, but I actually know what it it is. Why not? Evidently my mom didn't know what it was either, it was in her stuff when she passed, and bubble lights remind me of my childhood. So, I'm ready not just for Christmas, but the "holidays" as well.
After all, I'm a liberal so I can celebrate all of them. Very Happy

View user profile

5 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/2/2017, 11:32 pm

bigdog wrote: ...The tree's been up since the day before Thanksgiving ...

You know every time someone puts up a Christmas decoration before Thanksgiving, Santa is forced to shoot an elf.

I hope you can live with yourself.

View user profile

6 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/2/2017, 11:51 pm

I don't care. Elves work for free and screw it up for all of us who expect a living wage.
Plus they all look like Jeff Sessions.

View user profile

7 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/2/2017, 11:55 pm

We will pick up a second projector Sunday. We have made the cottage very comfy this year as we have not decorated in years because of the move to the islands a few years back. My wife has a small christmas tree she puts on a table in the living room, and has these really cool white pine cone lights which the grandkids got all excited when they saw the decorations this afternoon.

I am thinking after Christmas we will bring down the projectors and put the white light bulb projection on these beautiful live oaks we have on the property. I am going to try to use a marine battery, and inverter to put a projector out on the islands on a huge cottonwood tree which could be seen from the highway with all the foilage off the trees. It is so simple to set up, and it is pretty spectacular on large trees. The white lights in the trees are not necessarily just for Christmas.

View user profile

8 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/3/2017, 12:07 am

bigdog wrote:I don't care. Elves work for free and screw it up for all of us who expect a living wage.
Plus they all look like Jeff Sessions.

So does that mean that if people put their New Years decorations up before Christmas that Santa will be forced to shoot Jeff Sessions? Even Santa isn't that generous but Happy New Year! Just in case. santa santa santa

View user profile

9 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/3/2017, 12:11 am

I get in the spirit after our little village has the annual Christmas caroling get together at this historic methodist church which was built in the 1840s. We have friends where the husband was a Chaplin in the Navy for a career, and they have been wonderful getting donations for restoration of the church since his retirement. It still has the old bench pews, wood plank floors and really cool limestone walls and stained glass. I have no singing ability, but revert back to a kid sharing Christmas songs with my neighbors. Last year I struggled, but since the surgery I feel stronger, and had a great day with the grandkids as we started fires under all the logs and trees which have backed up from the flood against our main causeway. I did pretty good, and hope in two weeks when the caroling gathering happens I will feel as good. I never thought last year I would see another Christmas and feel truly blessed to have the opportunity to share the Christmas spirit with my neighbors for another year. I sometimes think I am living in pioneer times when I am alone out on the islands, and when we gather in this church you understand how this little church which no longer has a congregation, was the center of social activity in the 1800s. Life was simple.

We have a history book written about the town, and I read the sad story about a woman who as winter was approaching lived on a small farmstead in the 1840s when they returned to their home across the river, there were a series of snow storms and icing on the river. She was pregnant, and none of the women could cross the river to help her during child birth, and she lost her life and the child's life and there were no ambulances, hospitals, or neighbors anywhere near their side of the river. In the spring the town learned of the woman dying. A blacksmith shop, a cheese mill, and a woodworking factory made the town a boom town until the civil war, when the railroad went through towns to the north and south, and suddenly the little village lost half its population. So when sitting in the restored church singing Christmas carols I go to a very happy place thinking about all those who came before, and all our great neighbors. Christmas is a very good time in our little village, so the decorations add a little to the spirit.

View user profile

10 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/3/2017, 12:11 am

2seaoat wrote:We will pick up a second projector Sunday.  We have made the cottage very comfy this year as we have not decorated in years because of the move to the islands a few years back.  My wife has a small christmas tree she puts on a table in the living room, and has these really cool white pine cone lights which the grandkids got all excited when they saw the decorations this afternoon.

I am thinking after Christmas we will bring down the projectors and put the white light bulb projection on these beautiful live oaks we have on the property.  I am going to try to use a marine battery, and inverter to put a projector out on the islands on a huge cottonwood tree which could be seen from the highway with all the foilage off the trees.  It is so simple to set up, and it is pretty spectacular on large trees.  The white lights in the trees are not necessarily just for Christmas.

The live oaks will look beautiful

View user profile

11 Re: Skipping Chritmas on 12/3/2017, 2:02 pm

The first place I saw palms lighted for Christmas was in Silver Lake Mobile Home park out on Pine Forest Road. They have a small lake there with a palm or two in the middle of the lake, or maybe just on the side, I can't remember.
What I do remember is they put alternating red and green spotlights on the palm at Christmas and the lights shined not only on the palm trees but also on the reflection in the lake there with them. It was incredibly beautiful. I don't know if they still do it or not. Maybe I'll drive by there one night and see.
I immediately came home and bought a green spotlight for my little sego palm and have done that every year until I got the spray of lights projector for it this year.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]