This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Forum ads becoming EXTREMELY onerous

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Forum ads becoming EXTREMELY onerous on 10/1/2017, 3:23 pm

I have Adblocker Plus but Forumotion has still always managed to put up small, unobtrusive, static ads at the top of each forum page, reflecting places/items I've recently viewed online.  It's never really been a problem.

Now, however, the ads have changed - they're all new, unrelated to my Internet activity (that part is good), BUT they are constantly changing, constantly reloading, and most especially SEVERELY INTERFERING WITH MY TYPING on this forum.   It's like typing through molasses --  constant little "freezes" between keystrokes, sometimes not so little.  

I also noticed after running my anti-spyware scan last night that, whereas I've previously averaged a couple of hundred tracking cookies, the scan found 755!!  

I'm blaming it all on Forumotion, and am annoyed with the typing interference to the point where I can almost not stand to post here any more.

Anyone else???

View user profile
I have none of that, but understand exactly what you are going through because I had the same thing happen for no apparent reason, but after I reinstalled adblocker, they were gone. I do not see ads and my ad blocker is working perfectly. However, Windows 10 has slowed down my firefox which is the only browser I go to the forum with, and when trying to check my outlook email, I am having frequent crashes and ads from Microsoft telling me how much better edge is.....which immediately after I say No thanks my Outlook slows down. It has become a dog eat dog online world. What I really would like to see a company do is create a nation wider intranet closed network which is basically a vpn where firewalls and anti ad software are on the server and all portals on the internet must first go through their server. It would have to be just as fast as now, but with all the hacks and ads it is time to design a premium intranet which is safe and secure. I would pay the premium, and at this point I am sick of Microsoft and probably will be getting an apple on the next laptop.

View user profile
I've been getting that for a while now. I've had to develop the habit of copying everything before I hit send, because a lot of the time I get a message that things aren't connecting correctly, so I have to go back and try it again... and half the time the message gets lost. When one is as wordy as I am Embarassed losing all that typing can be quite a pain in the ass. Smile

And sometimes it will freeze up the box so typing goes very slowly. So, yep, it's a problem.

Oddly, all the ads I get are for Barnes & Noble. I ordered a bunch of cheap hardback story collections from them about a month ago and ever since they've saturation-bombed every ad block on half the sites I visit. I love Barnes & Noble, but, jeez.

View user profile
Try using Internet Explorer.
When I get too many ads on Mozilla, I switch over. It seems the ad companies don't care much about IE anymore, since nobody much uses it.

View user profile
Can't believe I just wrote a longish post here and then inadvertently closed out before sending. Grrr. DUMMY!

Long story short, it was to thank Sea for the suggestion to reinstall Adblock Plus. Turns out mine had somehow become completely uninstalled - no idea how -- and, after reinstalling and figuring out I had to manually select/add a filter list (don't believe I had to do that years back when first installing..but..well, it was years back), all is back to normal and I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief. Tracking cookies had increased to a whopping 1,015 on a spyware scan yesterday, and I was horrified. Doubtless the count will return to normal next time.

View user profile
P.S. bigdog, thx for the suggestion re IE but I'm still a Vista holdout and only a really old version of IE works with Vista, and then only barely. Many sites don't load at all. I no longer even open it and should just delete it, but keep it there in case of real emergency as to Firefox.
Gonna have to upgrade everything anyway, hardware included, once Firefox totally abandons Vista, coming up soon. So am hanging on by a thread, but dreading having to pay for and deal with a new computer since this one works fine, plus particularly dreading Windows 10, which hubby has on his laptop and despises. Me too, from what I've seen. Bah humbug. But will not likely ever migrate to Apple.

View user profile
Linda  You might want to try Linux Mint if your computer has trouble with any of the New widows products.  Little bit of a learning curve but it makes older computers run like new.  almost no viruses.  It is all I used now  https://linuxmint.com/

View user profile
Hallmarkgard wrote:Linda  You might want to try Linux Mint if your computer has trouble with any of the New widows products.  Little bit of a learning curve but it makes older computers run like new.  almost no viruses.  It is all I used now  https://linuxmint.com/

Trouble?? Windows 10 won't run on my old computer at all, I'm sure. That's why I'm balking; have to buy a new one to keep current with the operating system and other software.

Will take a look a linux, whatever it is. Thanks, HM. Also very good to see you.

View user profile
Look into Linux.  I am no expert but I think I can walk you though it.  You can try it with out deleting you present OS.  I think I can make you a CD or a USB stick to install it.  You can even get get Linux Flash drives off of ebay for 10 to 15 dollars..  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linux-Mint-Installer-LiveCD-on-USB-2-0-Flash-Drive-Linux-Mint-18-2-MATE-/192294121752

View user profile
Hallmark, thanks so much and I've given it some thought, but honestly, I'm just too much of a nervous Nellie to try something like that, especially as my computer is really aging now and occasionally going to blue screens -- the hard drive is already above and beyond, years-wise.

At least for now, I'm afraid to rock the boat. Hope you can understand.

View user profile
Atleast Google it... you'll probably be surprised as to its longevity and reputation. It works great on older machines.

View user profile
PkrBum wrote:Atleast Google it... you'll probably be surprised as to its longevity and reputation. It works great on older machines.

Does it support Firefox?

View user profile
RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Atleast Google it... you'll probably be surprised as to its longevity and reputation. It works great on older machines.

Does it support Firefox?

I haven't messed with it in a long time... but it's an open code operating system that's constantly being improved to run nearly any software. So I'm nearly certain it would run Firefox... without looking into it.

View user profile

14 Re: Forum ads becoming EXTREMELY onerous on 10/11/2017, 10:33 am

Yes..  It runs everything that Windows does.  Just a little different.  Once you are on the internet you don't even notice what OS you are running.  Big plus is that is free and there all most no Virus  that effect it.  If you have a older machine it will run much faster.  You really don't have much to lose if you are thinking about upgrading anyways.   I can mail you a CD or Flash drive if you wish.   if you wish...   I just ordered a USB drive for 8 dollars from Ebay.  .   Linux is free but people charge a little to put it on a drive or CD.

View user profile

15 Re: Forum ads becoming EXTREMELY onerous on 10/11/2017, 12:37 pm

You say it runs everything that Windows does, but what about my Windows email system? I use Windows Mail, and everything related to mail is resident on my hard drive, not in the ether such as with gmail and others.

Still thinking, still honestly quite hesitant -- and I wouldn't do anything right away anyway, because nothing's really broken. I reiterate, however, that my hard drive is old (2007) and occasionally gives signals it's not going to last forever.

View user profile

16 Re: Forum ads becoming EXTREMELY onerous on 10/11/2017, 10:22 pm

Might not be for you. Just a suggestion..All is good.. Very Happy

View user profile
OK my friend - and thanks for the suggestion. You're a peach of a guy, but then you knew that. Wink

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum