Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Solar eclipse on Monday

+5
RealLindaL
Telstar
zsomething
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Solar eclipse on Monday 8/16/2017, 9:38 pm

2seaoat

The best viewing will be in Southern Illinois and We have no plans for a road trip. I will try to build a solar box to watch the shadows in the box. I remember in sixth grade building my first box camera as the images you captured was inverted. Around the same time, we were at a week long summer camp in a Northern Wisconsin scout camp where we built solar eclipse boxes to watch a near complete eclipse. It was really cool as it almost became entirely dark and then slowly began to light up again. I will never forget all the people warning people not to look into the sun or suffer blindness. Where we will observe it, it will simply be like an overcast day as most of the sun will still be shinning.

I am going to have to coordinate the time, because I have to work Monday, and hope I can break away to view the eclipse.

2Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/17/2017, 12:30 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:The best viewing will be in Southern Illinois and We have no plans for a road trip.  I will try to build a solar box to watch the shadows in the box.  I remember in sixth grade building my first box camera as the images you captured was inverted.   Around the same time, we were at a week long summer camp in a Northern Wisconsin scout camp where we built solar eclipse boxes to watch a near complete eclipse.   It was really cool as it almost became entirely dark and then slowly began to light up again.  I will never forget all the people warning people not to look into the sun or suffer blindness.  Where we will observe it, it will simply be like an overcast day as most of the sun will still be shinning.

I am going to have to coordinate the time, because I have to work Monday, and hope I can break away to view the eclipse.

You will.

3Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/17/2017, 9:03 am

zsomething

I don't have a strong interest in it myself (eh, it's one thing moving in front of another thing! Smile ), but a friend of mine is really excited about it and was planning to take a couple of days off from work and drive up to the best viewing region... but he's found out that all the hotels and motels for miles up there are booked solid! He's getting frustrated trying to find a place to stay... so, this is definitely an event that a lot of people are intrigued by. I'll likely just watch it on TV... or, my friend's video footage if he manages to get up to the viewing area.

4Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/17/2017, 9:17 am

2seaoat

When I experienced a full eclipse as a child it was one of those moments in your life which is seared into your memory. You think about what ancient people thought when these events happened.

5Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/17/2017, 10:46 am

zsomething

2seaoat wrote:When I experienced a full eclipse as a child it was one of those moments in your life which is seared into your memory.  You think about what ancient people thought when these events happened.

I do have some good memories of a lunar eclipse I saw as a kid. I saw it in Pensacola Beach, actually, at the house of some friends of my parents. They had this house with really strange windows... like the edge of a cube, one pointing up, one pointing down. Hard to describe, but it gave a really good view of the moon, over the Sound side. I watched that while they were playing bridge. I don't remember it ever blacking out completely, but it went a dark orange for a while.

6Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/17/2017, 4:49 pm

Telstar

Telstar

More interested in the eclipse of fake 45's political future.

7Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/17/2017, 5:52 pm

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:When I experienced a full eclipse as a child it was one of those moments in your life which is seared into your memory.  You think about what ancient people thought when these events happened.

And these were the same people who wrote the Old and New Testaments. Just saying. Wink

8Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/17/2017, 5:53 pm

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:More interested in the eclipse of fake 45's political future.

Agreed, but this will be a welcome, if short-lived, diversion.

9Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/17/2017, 6:47 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

RealLindaL wrote:

It is important to inhale occasionally. #TRIGGERED #RUSSIA #IMPEACH...etc.

10Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 2:41 am

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

It is important to inhale occasionally.  #TRIGGERED #RUSSIA #IMPEACH...etc.

Thank you for your eminently sage advice, O wise master.     tongue

11Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 6:38 am

2seaoat

https://interactives.courier-journal.com/projects/eclipse-2017/

The Harrahs in Metropolis across the river from Paducah is going to be a total eclipse. I have a business transaction at 4pm and a poker game at 6:30. I have a friend who is driving to Vienna Il which is just 10 miles west of Metropolis. Knox should be pretty close to the path. You can type in your zip code and get the best time and amount of coverage of the sun. I will get 88% at 1 in the afternoon. Milton Florida will be 83% at 1:35.

12Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 8:57 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

Good link... Thank you.

13Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 11:47 am

2seaoat

I just realized today how quickly I am losing cognitive function. When I was in eighth grade I could have answered my question, but today after looking at the map, I am befuddled. Ok we all know the sun rises in the east and as the earth turns it sets in the west. I am pretty sure my whole life the moon has risen in the east and as the earth turns sets in the west. I am confused as to why the line of the eclipse seems to be moving in a temporal sense from west to East as Illinois will have the peak at about 1pm and Milton about 1:30.

I suspect if the sun is stationary, and the moon does not rotate around the earth, but does in fact rotate on its own axis in a relative fixed position as they both orbit the sun. So my questions without going to google and cheating are does the moon rotate around the earth, or are the earth and moon rotating but in fixed positions relative to each other as they rotate around the sun? So if that is true, why does it appear the eclipse starts on the West coast and moves in an Easterly direction. I really feel stupid because I once knew these answers.

14Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 12:40 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

The moon circles the earth. And the angle created by the moon crossing the sun is smaller on the west coast... lower in the eastern sky.. like looking into the distance. The moon won't cross the sun here until later because it'll be higher in the sky than the west coast.

15Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 12:44 pm

2seaoat

I am still trying to get the geometry right in my head. Does the moon orbit the earth east to west?

16Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 12:46 pm

2seaoat

Also doesn't the earth rotate west to east?  The reason I am asking these questions because we went North from Illinois to Wisconsin in the sixties to watch a total solar eclipse, so is the moon's rotation variable? Also Southern Illinois University is planning a big party this eclipse, and in 2025 when this same path will be replicated. I cannot bet the geometry straight in my head, but thank you for the moon orbiting the earth as I have totally forgotten what I once knew as a child.

17Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 1:48 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

The moon orbits the same way as the earth spins... and that the earth orbits the sun.

18Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 2:49 pm

2seaoat

The moon orbits the same way as the earth spins... and that the earth orbits the sun.

Thank you. So the moon is rotating around the earth west to East? Now the part that I need to understand. The map shows a southeast to Northwest diagonal orbit. Is this a fixed orbit or is there a range of latitude and longitude where the lunar orbit varies in its path around the earth? I still do not know why I was in Wisconsin to watch the eclipse in sixth grade, unless it corresponded with scout camp, and we actually were getting a worse view. However, it was a total get dark eclipse. So the moon is coming from the West Coast to the east coast has what kind of North South variance?

19Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 3:07 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

The earth is spinning in a counter clockwise direction... so towards the east... from our perspective. The moon has a wide difference in it's orbit... it's also moving away from us very slowly. The tidal bulge it creates steals energy.

20Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 3:35 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Is the earth flat? Shocked

21Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/18/2017, 3:51 pm

2seaoat

Is the earth flat? Shocked

I am slipping, and I think I got the flat earth covered, but I am having some trouble with the geometry of this eclipse.

22Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/19/2017, 2:36 am

RealLindaL

Sea, hope this site, complete with diagrams, helps:

The Science:  Mechanics of Solar Eclipses

See especially the section entitled, "It Goes the Wrong Way!"

Excerpt:

"...one question that often comes up is, why does the eclipse go from West to East, when the Sun and Moon go the other way?

"Well, the movement of the Moon — from East to West — is, in fact, an illusion caused by the Earth's rotation. As a matter of fact, the Moon orbits in the same direction that the Earth rotates; anticlockwise, as seen from above the North pole."

23Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/19/2017, 8:25 am

2seaoat

Thank you. I finally got it. I mean I should have known the basic part of the popular mechanic article which is the earth rotates in 24 hours and the moon's cycle is just short of a month. Their example of a car passing a jogger could create the illusion that the jogger was going backwards based on the relative speed of the two. I am also happy that other people were bothered by the west to east direction of the eclipse. I do not feel like I have totally melted down.......yet.

24Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/20/2017, 2:31 am

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:Thank you.  I finally got it.  I mean I should have known the basic part of the popular mechanic article which is the earth rotates in 24 hours and the moon's cycle is just short of a month.  Their example of a car passing a jogger could create the illusion that the jogger was going backwards based on the relative speed of the two.  I am also happy that other people were bothered by the west to east direction of the eclipse.  I do not feel like I have totally melted down.......yet.

lol!  You're very welcome.  Glad it helped.  I, too, liked the jogger example.

25Solar eclipse on Monday Empty Re: Solar eclipse on Monday 8/20/2017, 5:05 pm

asciighost

Amazing how people love to think about a world without Jesus. As if he is guilty for all the failures of men/women organizing religions for power.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum