Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Minneapolis police chief resigns. America has to start over on Leo paradigm

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minneapolis-police-chief-resigns-in-wake-of-officer-shooting/ar-AAowPtl?li=BBnb7Kz

Community policing, tougher psychological screening, increased training, less militarization, regional swat response rather than every two bit department creating swat, higher education qualifications, higher salaries, and most importantly force reductions across the board with an end on the war on drugs.

2seaoat

10 pm on CNN.....Fuhrman tapes.

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minneapolis-police-chief-resigns-in-wake-of-officer-shooting/ar-AAowPtl?li=BBnb7Kz

Community policing, tougher psychological screening, increased training, less militarization, regional swat response rather than every two bit department creating swat, higher education qualifications, higher salaries, and most importantly force reductions across the board with an end on the war on drugs.

I know I'm gonna hate myself in the morning, but you're exactly right, here, Seaoat.

Now excuse me while I pop on over to the Basilica of Blessed Oliver Plunkett and see if I can pull a priest off an altar boy long enough to have him hose me down with Holy Water.

I digress--back during the Ferguson debacle, there was another story in Ferguson and it had been taped by a bystander.

A mentally deranged Black male was menacing his neighbors with large knife. When the cops finally pulled up in a squad car, one cop went to the front of the vehicle while the other went to the back, effectively "surrounding" the guy. The knife guy decided to approach the cop at the rear and that cop just shot him, from about 6' away.

About a week later there was a very similar story from London that had also been taped--a knife-wielding crazy and two cops. Instead of shooting him, they worked together to take him down and disarm him--at no small risk to themselves but without any injury to either the cops or the guy.

That made we wonder why the two situations ended so differently. It turns out that American cops are taught to always shoot first and ask questions later and that that training model was the product of one guy, a psychologist whose whole practice is cop training and courtroom expert witness testimony at $1000 an hour. His name is Dr. William J. Lewinski and here's a little more about him:

Dr. Lewinski is unique in that he conducts his own research, trains officers and internal investigators, and testifies at trial. In the protests that have followed police shootings, demonstrators have often asked why officers are so rarely punished for shootings that seem unwarranted. Dr. Lewinski is part of the answer.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/us/training-officers-to-shoot-first-and-he-will-answer-questions-later.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:10 pm on CNN.....Fuhrman tapes.

Wrong again!

2seaoat

Wrong again!

Please correct me as to the date and time. I am tired of watching CNN and need some entertainment, but I do not want to watch the tapes which are said to have began real reform in the Los Angles police department.

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:Wrong again!

Please correct me as to the date and time.  I am tired of watching CNN and need some entertainment, but I do not want to watch the tapes which are said to have began real reform in the Los Angles police department.

Nevermind. I was temporarily confused, probably a side-effect of the medication.

2seaoat

It is on right now.

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:It is on right now.

I know, that's why I posted the previous.

del.capslock

del.capslock

Fuhrman is a perfect example of why there's no such thing as a good cop.

No so-called "good cop" outed him and there must have been plenty of them who knew he was wrongo. They, the "good cops", are, by definition, accomplices to criminal behavior and therefore BAD cops. And that goes for the prosecutors who protect them.

2seaoat

Maw and kill parties.....yep

2seaoat

What the Fuhrman tapes show is that the culture of a police department can become evil without proper administration and aggressive training.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Wasn't he reading/creating a crime drama script? I know it played big in the court room...

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minneapolis-police-chief-resigns-in-wake-of-officer-shooting/ar-AAowPtl?li=BBnb7Kz

Agree completely. And another problem is that in it's current form we are expecting cops to deal with situations that should be addressed in other ways. They are not trained well in handling people with mental health issues. There are all sorts of community based problems like poor schools, lack of jobs, etc. It is not right to make the cops deal with situations that society has created and should be able to fix. As it is we just want the cops to make it all go away.

2seaoat

As it is we just want the cops to make it all go away.

You have hit the essence of the problem. If there is going to be a paradigm shift, it must start with a complete tear down of how government serves its citizens. Just because it is easier to militarize and expand LEO, the efficiency of meeting societies needs has not followed the massive pouring of resources into easy answers. The huge drops in crime in the 1990s corresponded with investments in community policing. Instead of being an invading army in some communities, grants were given to working on community involvement in their own goals of how they want their priorities of that community to interface with law enforcement. Part of community policing must be expanded mental health initiatives which start with full coverage on citizens health insurance, expanded professionals, and better training on mental health first aid. I was part of a three day seminar three years ago developed by the Australians for law enforcement on how police and citizens proactively identify mental health issues and provide alternatives to just throwing ill people in the back of a squald car which fills our jails with mentally ill people not getting treatment.

Like a person who comes first upon a person with physical injury, there are things which police, emt, and citizens can be trained to triage those in distress and rather than a jail cell find treatment options.

As little as 1.4 billion was put in community policing grants from the federal government prior to the massive crime drop, but more has to be done. Crime in America has been estimated to cost America 2 trillion dollars a year. We are expanding the Military budget by almost 35 billion which is like throwing money down a rabbit hole, yet investing in expanded mental health and community policing is pennies on the dollar to the military EXPANSION and can save America hundreds of billions of dollars with lower crime rates and better quality of life for American citizens. We need new priorities.

2seaoat

Worried about an ambush. How far have we sunk?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cops-question-witness-who-may-have-filmed-minn-police-shooting/ar-AAoBi8q?li=BBnb7Kz

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote: As it is we just want the cops to make it all go away.

You have hit the essence of the problem.  If there is going to be a paradigm shift, it must start with a complete tear down of how government serves its citizens.  Just because it is easier to militarize and expand LEO, the efficiency of meeting societies needs has not followed the massive pouring of resources into easy answers.  The huge drops in crime in the 1990s corresponded with investments in community policing.  Instead of being an invading army in some communities, grants were given to working on community involvement in their own goals of how they want their priorities of that community to interface with law enforcement.  Part of community policing must be expanded mental health initiatives which start with full coverage on citizens health insurance, expanded professionals, and better training on mental health first aid.  I was part of a three day seminar three years ago developed by the Australians for law enforcement on how police and citizens proactively identify mental health issues and provide alternatives to just throwing ill people in the back of a squald car which fills our jails with mentally ill people not getting treatment.

Like a person who comes first upon a person with physical injury, there are things which police, emt, and citizens can be trained to triage those in distress and rather than a jail cell find treatment options.

As little as 1.4 billion was put in community policing grants from the federal government prior to the massive crime drop, but more has to be done.  Crime in America has been estimated to cost America 2 trillion dollars a year.  We are expanding the Military budget by almost 35 billion which is like throwing money down a rabbit hole, yet investing in expanded mental health and community policing is pennies on the dollar to the military EXPANSION and can save America hundreds of billions of dollars with lower crime rates and better quality of life for American citizens.  We need new priorities.

Yes, the whole community support system needs to be revamped. At present there is too much money being made in the private prison "industry". As long as there are substandard schools they system is guaranteeing a steady flow of under-prepared citizens destined to become inmates. This is just another form of institutionalized welfare. Just as we are subsidizing minimum wage workers with federal tax dollars we are doing the same with the school/prison system.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum