Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jimmy Piersall 87, RIP.

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jimmy Piersall 87,  RIP. Empty Jimmy Piersall 87, RIP. 6/4/2017, 2:16 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Boston Red Sox Hall of Famer and Seaoat played poker with him.

http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-jimmy-piersall-obit-0605-20170604-story.html

https://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/t15642-playing-poker-with-jimmy-piersall

2Jimmy Piersall 87,  RIP. Empty Re: Jimmy Piersall 87, RIP. 6/4/2017, 3:02 pm

2seaoat

He started getting bad two years ago. Before that he would banter with the poker players and tell baseball stories. He was in a wheelchair, but he had a great son in law who took the time to take him to play poker. It was great to see someone take the time to allow Jimmy to enjoy the recreation of playing cards. He was not a very good poker player, but hell what person in their mid eighties plays good poker. He was such a good story teller and was lucid and funny the last time I played with him. With the bone mets in my spine and tail bone, even with the bone met shots which are suppose to strengthen and prevent fractures, I just cannot sit at the poker table like I used to when six or seven hours was the norm. I am sad because a great many of the older poker players have died in the last three years, and I sure as hell did not expect to still be here. I do stop in and say hello to players, but I have not played this year. I do play the carnival games and Mississippi stud and Flush are two games I enjoy. Very little skill as the only skill in those games is recognizing the odds and folding. Too many folks chase on carnival games and you will never beat the house chasing bad cards.

3Jimmy Piersall 87,  RIP. Empty Re: Jimmy Piersall 87, RIP. 6/4/2017, 3:14 pm

Telstar

Telstar

2seaoat wrote:He started getting bad two years ago.  Before that he would banter with the poker players and tell baseball stories.  He was in a wheelchair, but he had a great son in law who took the time to take him to play poker.   It was great to see someone take the time to allow Jimmy to enjoy the recreation of playing cards.   He was not a very good poker player, but hell what person in their mid eighties plays good poker.  He was such a good story teller and was lucid and funny the last time I played with him.  With the bone mets in my spine and tail bone, even with the bone met shots which are suppose to strengthen and prevent fractures, I just cannot sit at the poker table like I used to when six or seven hours was the norm.  I am sad because a great many of the older poker players have died in the last three years, and I sure as hell did not expect to still be here.  I do stop in and say hello to players, but I have not played this year.  I do play the carnival games and Mississippi stud and Flush are two games I enjoy.   Very little skill as the only skill in those games is recognizing the odds and folding.   Too many folks chase on carnival games and you will never beat the house chasing bad cards.

I saw Jimmy play during his last season and he seemed to be having more fun than the rest of the players.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum