This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Jared Kushner, Slumlord

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 11:47 am



Jared Kushner’s Other
Real Estate Empire



Baltimore-area renters complain about a property
owner they say is neglectful and litigious. Few
know their landlord is the president’s son-in-law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/23/magazine/jared-kushners-other-real-estate-empire.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fmagazine&action=click&contentCollection=magazine&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront&ncid=newsltushpmgspecialMustReads052817




"The townhouse on High Seas Court in the Cove Village development, in the Baltimore suburb of Essex, was not exactly the Cape Cod retreat that its address implied: It was a small unit looking onto a parking lot, the windows of its two bedrooms so high and narrow that a child would have had to stand on a chair to see out of them. But to Kamiia Warren, who moved into the townhouse in 2004, it was a refuge, and a far cry from the East Baltimore neighborhood where she grew up. “I mean, there were bunny rabbits all hopping around,” she told me recently.

In the townhouse next door lived an older woman with whom Warren became friendly, even doing her grocery shopping once in a while. But over the course of a few months, the woman started acting strangely. She began accosting Warren’s visitors. She shouted through the walls during the day. And at night she banged on the wall, right where Warren kept the bassinet in which her third child slept, waking him up.

Warren sent a letter reporting the problem to the complex’s property manager, a company called Sawyer Realty Holdings. When there was no response, she decided to move out. In January 2010, she submitted the requisite form giving two months’ notice that she was transferring her Section 8 voucher — the federal low-income subsidy that helped her pay the rent — elsewhere. The complex’s on-site manager signed the form a week later, checking the line that read “The tenant gave notice in accordance with the lease.”

So Warren was startled in January 2013, three years later, when she received a summons from a private process server informing her that she was being sued for $3,014.08 by the owner of Cove Village. The lawsuit, filed in Maryland District Court, was doubly bewildering. It claimed she owed the money for having left in advance of her lease’s expiration, though she had received written permission to leave. And the company suing her was not Sawyer, but one whose name she didn’t recognize: JK2 Westminster L.L.C..."

(more)

*********************

View user profile

3 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 12:30 pm

View user profile

4 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 1:15 pm

The landlord has a duty to mitigate rental loss after a tenant breaks a lease. The whole thread is BS because I never wanted to be a landlord, but the pope himself a landlord would be cast as a slum landlord when dealing with folks who do not honor their lease. It will get resolved in court and if the landlord is wrong the court will not enter a judgment in their favor. This has become as bad as the Hillary Clinton, and President Obama witch hunts. Policy which is wrong should be attacked, but making chit up and imputing normal landlord behavior as proof of some kind of evil is as wrong as saying the Clinton Foundation was NOT helping people. I have real issues with President Trump, his family's inherent conflicts of interest, and the fact that some of those around the President may have worked in concert with the Russians who are killing our troops in Afghanastan to rig the American election, but fishing expeditions about property management problems.....pleasssseeeee.

View user profile

5 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 1:53 pm

Desperately searching for dirt.....typical butt hurt democrats.

View user profile

6 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 1:57 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:Desperately searching for dirt.....typical butt hurt democrats.



Nothing is dirtier than a butt hurt republican.

View user profile

7 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 2:26 pm

2seaoat wrote:The landlord has a duty to mitigate rental loss after a tenant breaks a lease.  The whole thread is BS because I never wanted to be a landlord, but the pope himself a landlord would be cast as a slum landlord when dealing with folks who do not honor their lease.  It will get resolved in court and if the landlord is wrong the court will not enter a judgment in their favor.  This has become as bad as the Hillary Clinton, and President Obama witch hunts.  Policy which is wrong should be attacked, but making chit up and imputing normal landlord behavior as proof of some kind of evil is as wrong as saying the Clinton Foundation was NOT helping people.  I have real issues with President Trump, his family's inherent conflicts of interest, and the fact that some of those around the President may have worked in concert with the Russians who are killing our troops in Afghanastan to rig the American election, but fishing expeditions about property management problems.....pleasssseeeee.

The woman DID comply with the terms of her lease. You didn't bother to read the entire Pro-Publica article but reflexively sided with the predatorily litigious slumlord. The Kushner family repeatedly used the court system to prey upon the weak, to fatten their bottom line at the expense of society's most vulnerable.

From the ProPublica article cited in the original post:

"If the case was confounding to Warren, it was not unique. Hundreds like it have been filed over the last five years by JK2 Westminster and affiliated businesses in the state of Maryland alone, where the company owns some 8,000 apartments and townhouses. Nor was JK2 Westminster quite as anonymous as its opaque name suggested. It was a subsidiary of a large New York real-estate firm called Kushner Companies, which was led by a young man whose initials happened to be J.K.: Jared Kushner".

Thanks for showing your true colors. Finally!

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

8 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 7:59 pm

I did read it. She broke the lease. Section 8 has nothing to do with terminating a lease before its term. The statute of frauds requires a writing to terminate a lease, just like it requires a writing to create a lease. My true colors are that I have had 15k dollars of damage from tenants who destroyed three homes in the last two years, which I never wanted to be a landlord or never dreamed that animals could cause such destruction. I have helped tenants for 35 years dealing with real slum lords, and have volunteered to do the same when folks have been harmed by over reaching Landlords, but a woman decides her next door neighbor is crazy and just gets up and moves, sorry until that unit was rented there were rental payments due. Also, the indication of almost $3,500 of damages being asked for is a tell that this poor tenant was far from the innocent victim.

I have paid for people to find temporary housing, I have a good friend who has put people up for a year in one of his houses without a rent payment, because it was a good person caught in a jam, but when people get sued in a landlord tenant situation there are two sides to every story, and the law must be applied to the facts and not some fishing expedition to find dirt on somebody connected to President Trump. My true colors are that I have zero tolerance for people who destroy other people's property and then try to make that person out as a slum lord. I put a family into a brand new house because the real estate agent vouched for their parents, and the they in six months had destroyed the house with burns on counter top, engine oil in the middle of the new carpeting in the living room where they decided to work on a dam engine, which to this day I have no explanation, multiple holes in the walls and filth everywhere. I have NEVER taken a person in a rental agreement to court in 35 years because I am not a landlord and figured that the economy would eventually recover and the homes could be sold, but I can recognize bull chit.

View user profile

9 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 8:51 pm

2seaoat wrote:I did read it.  She broke the lease.  Section 8 has nothing to do with terminating a lease before its term.  The statute of frauds requires a writing to terminate a lease, just like it requires a writing to create a lease.  My true colors are that I have had 15k dollars of damage from tenants who destroyed three homes in the last two years, which I never wanted to be a landlord or never dreamed that animals could cause such destruction.   I have helped tenants for 35 years dealing with real slum lords, and have volunteered to do the same when folks have been harmed by over reaching Landlords, but a woman decides her next door neighbor is crazy and just gets up and moves, sorry until that unit was rented there were rental payments due.   Also, the indication of almost $3,500 of damages being asked for is a tell that this poor tenant was far from the innocent victim.

I have paid for people to find temporary housing, I have a good friend who has put people up for a year in one of his houses without a rent payment, because it was a good person caught in a jam, but when people get sued in a landlord tenant situation there are two sides to every story, and the law must be applied to the facts and not some fishing expedition to find dirt on somebody connected to President Trump.  My true colors are that I have zero tolerance for people who destroy other people's property and then try to make that person out as a slum lord.   I put a family into a brand new house because the real estate agent vouched for their parents, and the they in six months had destroyed the house with burns on counter top, engine oil in the middle of the new carpeting in the living room where they decided to work on a dam engine, which to this day I have no explanation, multiple holes in the walls and filth everywhere.   I have NEVER taken a person in a rental agreement to court in 35 years because I am not a landlord and figured that the economy would eventually recover and the homes could be sold, but I can recognize bull chit.  

Apparently you have sub-normal reading comprehension skills. It says right in the article that she "she submitted the requisite form giving two months’ notice"  and that the landlord's representative "signed the form a week later, checking the line that read 'The tenant gave notice in accordance with the lease.''

Here's the last paragraph in larger type in case you missed it:

"So Warren was startled in January 2013, three years later, when she received a summons from a private process server informing her that she was being sued for $3,014.08 by the owner of Cove Village. The lawsuit, filed in Maryland District Court, was doubly bewildering. It claimed she owed the money for having left in advance of her lease’s expiration, though she had received written permission to leave. And the company suing her was not Sawyer, but one whose name she didn’t recognize: JK2 Westminster L.L.C..."

In the space of two poorly written paragraphs you claim you're NOT a landlord but that you've had damages by TENANTS to YOUR property. If they were tenants and it was your property, then you were a landlord. DUH!

You predatory landlords are all alike and you stick together like something nasty on the bottom of your foot at the beach. You and Jared Kushner deserve each other. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out you learned the same predatory tricks he did in the pages of the trade publication Multifamily Executive. After all, the full article--the one it is obvious you did NOT read--clearly states:

"At the time of the 2012 Baltimore purchase, Kushner raved about the promise of the low-end multifamily market. 'It’s proven over the last few years to be the most resilient asset class, and at the end of the day, it’s a very stable asset class,' he told Multifamily Executive."

There are two mitigating factors to explain you inability to understand simple written English:

1) Your advanced years which you declare by admitting that you've been preying on the poor and beleaguered for THIRTY-FIVE YEARS!

2) Your pathetic educational attainments since you have, in other threads, touted your admiration for those notorious diploma mills in the tri-state area around Chicago.

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

10 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 10:20 pm

You sound like a jealous fool. "Sub-normal reading comprehension" compared to your sub-normal writing skills.

View user profile

11 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/29/2017, 10:38 pm


I have quite a bit of experience in this area. What landlord files against a tenant who was never their tenant...pathetic. Let's guess how Jared managed to buy 666 Fifth Ave. for $1.2 billion.

View user profile

12 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/30/2017, 7:01 am

Floridatexan wrote:
I have quite a bit of experience in this area.  What landlord files against a tenant who was never their tenant...pathetic.  Let's guess how Jared managed to buy 666 Fifth Ave. for $1.2 billion.  

Many Orthodox Jews are taught that they are superior to "goyim" and do not have to treat them with the same regard.

“What you do to the goyim is not the same as what you do to Jews" is a teaching in some Ultra-Orthodox communities, according to Samuel Heilman in “Defenders of the Faith: Inside Ultra-Orthodox Jewry”

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

13 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/30/2017, 5:58 pm

del.capslock wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
I have quite a bit of experience in this area.  What landlord files against a tenant who was never their tenant...pathetic.  Let's guess how Jared managed to buy 666 Fifth Ave. for $1.2 billion.  

Many Orthodox Jews are taught that they are superior to "goyim" and do not have to treat them with the same regard.

“What you do to the goyim is not the same as what you do to Jews" is a teaching in some Ultra-Orthodox communities, according to Samuel Heilman in “Defenders of the Faith: Inside Ultra-Orthodox Jewry”

Although I know what you're referencing, I'm not going to stereotype Jews. I know, or have known, too many good people who happen to practice Judaism. I feel the same way about my Muslim friends. Whatever his faith, Kushner exploited the poor for profit and did so in a way that, at best, skirted the law. I was referring to my real estate experience.

View user profile

14 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/30/2017, 8:07 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
Although I know what you're referencing, I'm not going to stereotype Jews.  I know, or have known, too many good people who happen to practice Judaism.  I feel the same way about my Muslim friends.  Whatever his faith, Kushner exploited the poor for profit and did so in a way that, at best, skirted the law.  I was referring to my real estate experience.

To accuse me of stereotyping Jews on the basis of that post is a vicious slur.

Obviously you haven't taken the time to ask your Jewish friends anything about the practice of their religion, especially in the US. Judaism is as riven with sectarian contention as are Islam and Christianity.

In the US there are three broad strains or "movements" of Judaism: Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. They clash with one another in the same way that the various sects of Christianity and Islam do. The Ultra-Orthodox movement is the tribalist Jewish equivalent of the snake-handling Pentecostal Christian crazies, i.e. evil disguised as religion.

Furthermore, my deeper point--which you, naturally, missed--is that the problem is NOT Judaism or any other religion, IT IS RELIGION ITSELF!

Religion is fundamentally divisive and it doesn't take a very deep reading of history to come to that conclusion. Christianity, in particular, cheapens the most noble of human impulses: Altruism. If you have to be threatened with eternal damnation to treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated, you're a shitty person.

I have never yet met a "Christian" who grasps the fundamental lesson of Luke 10:30.

A pox on all your houses!

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

15 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/30/2017, 10:00 pm

Sorry, but failure to finish the term of the lease can have liability, and a tenant under section 8 is still liable despite the release of the voucher which is what the 60 day release was, which allowed the tenant to get another section 8 housing unit. It did nothing to release any damages which were not mitigated. Some things remain the same. Do not spit into the wind, but by now you would think you could have learned that simple concept.

So Jewish Landlords exploit tenants because they think they are inferior. At least your logic is consistent. Do they have remedial fifth grade classes in your community?

View user profile

16 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/30/2017, 11:18 pm

del.capslock wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Although I know what you're referencing, I'm not going to stereotype Jews.  I know, or have known, too many good people who happen to practice Judaism.  I feel the same way about my Muslim friends.  Whatever his faith, Kushner exploited the poor for profit and did so in a way that, at best, skirted the law.  I was referring to my real estate experience.

To accuse me of stereotyping Jews on the basis of that post is a vicious slur.

Obviously you haven't taken the time to ask your Jewish friends anything about the practice of their religion, especially in the US. Judaism is as riven with sectarian contention as are Islam and Christianity.

In the US there are three broad strains or "movements" of Judaism: Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. They clash with one another in the same way that the various sects of Christianity and Islam do. The Ultra-Orthodox movement is the tribalist Jewish equivalent of the snake-handling Pentecostal Christian crazies, i.e. evil disguised as religion.

Furthermore, my deeper point--which you, naturally, missed--is that the problem is NOT Judaism or any other religion, IT IS RELIGION ITSELF!

Religion is fundamentally divisive and it doesn't take a very deep reading of history to come to that conclusion. Christianity, in particular, cheapens the most noble of human impulses: Altruism. If you have to be threatened with eternal damnation to treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated, you're a shitty person.

I have never yet met a "Christian" who grasps the fundamental lesson of Luke 10:30.

A pox on all your houses!

KMA, you twerp. Why would you take my statement that I'm not going to stereotype and think I was attacking you? I'm sorry you have a problem with religion. I have a problem with SOME religious dogma, but I also see the good that some religious people do in the world. Why do you not?

View user profile

17 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/30/2017, 11:37 pm

2seaoat wrote:Sorry, but failure to finish the term of the lease can have liability, and a tenant under section 8 is still liable despite the release of the voucher which is what the 60 day release was, which allowed the tenant to get another section 8 housing unit.  It did nothing to release any damages which were not mitigated.  Some things remain the same.  Do not spit into the wind, but by now you would think you could have learned that simple concept.

So Jewish Landlords exploit tenants because they think they are inferior.  At least your logic is consistent.  Do they have remedial fifth grade classes in your community?

What damages? The tenant was long gone and no damages were reported. Do you honestly think that the property manager didn't allow the tenant to break the lease? So...2 years later, Kushner buys the property and goes after the previous tenants for unpaid rent. I will bet you he knew in this particular case that the woman had a legitimate release from the agreement and chose to pursue her anyway because he needed the cash flow, counting on her not having her paperwork at hand, and counting on his sleazy lawyer to win in court, while she was unrepresented.

View user profile

18 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/30/2017, 11:40 pm

2seaoat wrote:Sorry, but failure to finish the term of the lease can have liability, and a tenant under section 8 is still liable despite the release of the voucher which is what the 60 day release was, which allowed the tenant to get another section 8 housing unit.  It did nothing to release any damages which were not mitigated.  Some things remain the same.  Do not spit into the wind, but by now you would think you could have learned that simple concept.

So Jewish Landlords exploit tenants because they think they are inferior.  At least your logic is consistent.  Do they have remedial fifth grade classes in your community?

Your intimate familiarity with the minutia of Section 8 housing just proves my assertion that you've been preying on poor people for a long time, despite your protestations that you are not a slumlord.

I did not say that Jewish landlords exploit tenants because they think they are inferior. What I said was that many Orthodox Jews believe they are superior to "goyim" and are not obligated to treat them with same regard as they treat other Jews. I buttressed my comment with a quote from a book about Ultra-Orthodox Jews written by a Jew.

If you actually had any experience with urban Jews, you'd know that the vast majority of Jews can't stand the "black-hatters" and are embarrassed by them.

I must admit, I'm not the least surprised by your vigorous defense of landlord predation and your venomous loathing of tenants. The truth will always out, especially in matters of character.

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

19 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/31/2017, 6:40 am

Your ignorance and generalities without understanding underlying concepts is astonishing. I have never rented a property to anybody who used a section 8 voucher. I have helped people who have used the same, and anybody with a shot glass of understanding of the world around them knows how the vouchers are transferred and that transfer does not release the underlying liability. Damages would be for any vacancy under the lease term which resulted in loss rental income for the landlord. Most landlords do not chase section 8 tenants because they are judgment proof which the section 8 eligibility confirms. However, they will get their judgment and garnish wages to collect their damages if a person who signed the lease is working.

So it is good to know that whether it is a discussion of religion, section 8 voucher, or what statute is applicable in DC that your admission that you do not know chit still holds true.

View user profile

20 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/31/2017, 10:23 am

2seaoat wrote:Your ignorance and generalities without understanding underlying concepts is astonishing.  I have never rented a property to anybody who used a section 8 voucher.  I have helped people who have used the same, and anybody with a shot glass of understanding of the world around them knows how the vouchers are transferred and that transfer does not release the underlying liability.  Damages would be for any vacancy under the lease term which resulted in loss rental income for the landlord.  Most landlords do not chase section 8 tenants because they are judgment proof which the section 8 eligibility confirms.  However, they will get their judgment and garnish wages to collect their damages if a person who signed the lease is working.

So it is good to know that whether it is a discussion of religion,  section 8 voucher, or what statute is applicable in DC that your admission that you do not know chit still holds true.

I know you've had some bad experiences with tenants, Seaoat, but that has apparently led you to look at only one side of the coin.

View user profile

21 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/31/2017, 11:28 am

Floridatexan wrote:
I know you've had some bad experiences with tenants, Seaoat, but that has apparently led you to look at only one side of the coin.  

The problem lies with the mistaken belief that the duty of a landlord or a corporation of any kind is to maximize profits. Seaoat says it himself in his first post in this thread: "The landlord has a duty to mitigate rental loss after a tenant breaks a lease."

This is, of course, the vilest sort of bullshit. No such duty exists except in the minds of greedy landlords and corporate managers. Assuming a corporate business structure, the first duty of any corporation is to the society, in the form of the state, that grants LIMITED LIABILITY in return for economically beneficial purpose.

If they can make a profit, fine, but the FIRST duty is to the people who organized the social structure, the laws, that create and grant that extraordinary privilege.

Limited Liability is the greatest engine ever devised by the mind of man for the avoidance of personal responsibility and moral behavior.

Seaoat is just spouting the lie that landlords and corporations have used for decades to maximize profit by victimizing people. It's shameful and he should know better.

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

22 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/31/2017, 11:48 am

del.capslock wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
I know you've had some bad experiences with tenants, Seaoat, but that has apparently led you to look at only one side of the coin.  

The problem lies with the mistaken belief that the duty of a landlord or a corporation of any kind is to maximize profits. Seaoat says it himself in his first post in this thread: "The landlord has a duty to mitigate rental loss after a tenant breaks a lease."

This is, of course, the vilest sort of bullshit. No such duty exists except in the minds of greedy landlords and corporate managers. Assuming a corporate business structure, the first duty of any corporation is to the society, in the form of the state, that grants LIMITED LIABILITY in return for economically beneficial purpose.

If they can make a profit, fine, but the FIRST duty is to the people who organized the social structure, the laws, that create and grant that extraordinary privilege.

Limited Liability is the greatest engine ever devised by the mind of man for the avoidance of personal responsibility and moral behavior.

Seaoat is just spouting the lie that landlords and corporations have used for decades to maximize profit by victimizing people. It's shameful and he should know better.


Obviously you have never had rental property. It is a business not a free public service.

View user profile

23 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/31/2017, 12:21 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:

Obviously you have never had rental property. It is a business not a free public service.

You're too stupid to even bother refuting. It's demeaning to argue with an imbecile.

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

24 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/31/2017, 12:44 pm

Morality and responsibility...not your forte.

View user profile

25 Re: Jared Kushner, Slumlord on 5/31/2017, 12:49 pm

del.capslock wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Obviously you have never had rental property. It is a business not a free public service.

You're too stupid to even bother refuting. It's demeaning to argue with an imbecile.



You know you love it. Laughing


View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Similar topics

-

» Fan Fiction

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum