This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got a Pre-Existing Condition? Your Premium Could Rise Sharply Under New GOP Plan

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.consumerreports.org/health-insurance/got-a-pre-existing-condition-your-premium-could-rise-sharply-under-new-gop-plan/?loginMethod=auto

The latest Republican offering could put health insurance out of reach for sickest Americans, critics say

"As House Republicans frantically seek support for legislation to replace the Affordable Care Act, the biggest sticking point is whether the bill fulfills one of the GOP’s central pledges: preserving protections for people with pre-existing health problems.

More than a quarter of adult Americans under 65 have a pre-existing health issue, which includes everything from asthma and diabetes to heart disease and cancer, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Under current law, insurers cannot deny those or other sick people coverage or charge them more than healthy people. It's one of the ACA's most popular provisions.

President Donald Trump insists that the GOP’s American Health Care Act makes good on that pledge, and House Speaker Paul Ryan says on his website that “under no circumstance can people be denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition.”

But a recent amendment to the AHCA, authored by House Republican Tom MacArthur (shown above), from New Jersey, provides a loophole. It allows states to let insurers charge higher premiums to sicker people if their coverage has lapsed, and if the state has set up a so-called "high-risk pool," or special health insurance programs for sicker patients.

In a bid to garner more votes from moderate Republicans concerned about going back on their pledge to cover sick people, House Republicans said Wednesday they are discussing adding more funding for those high-risk pools.

But critics say that even with that extra cash those risk pools will be underfunded. And they point out that people with pre-existing conditions are especially likely to have gaps in insurance, because if they become too sick to work they may lose coverage through their employer, says Sara Collins, vice president of health care coverage and access at the Commonwealth Fund, a nonpartisan foundation that supports independent research on health and social issues.

And while those people may technically still have access to insurance, in practice it may be out of their reach. "If you can charge sick people whatever you want, that’s effectively denying people coverage,” says Linda Blumberg, a senior fellow in the Health Policy Center at the Urban Institute, a nonpartisan health policy research group..."

View user profile
Back in January we were getting reports from a representative from the insurance company that deals with legislative issues and either was in D.C. or on the phone with someone daily and although the insurance company wanted it to change he told us repeatedly that the GOP would fuck this up when they pass a bill and they have.

Don't worry it won't get though the senate in present form.

High risk pool in Florida never worked back in the 90's and I don't see it working in 2018.

One of the single most important things I guess Trump and his budget director can change without legislation is the cost sharing reductions, he has said he'll give an answer by May 22 whether they'll stay for the rest of this year. If not anyone on silver subsidized plan with an A,B or C after plan number looses their low deductible's and co pays immediately. Their rates won't go up this year but skyrocket next year. You can't expect people with limited resources to shell out the premium and then apply for a tax credit the next, won't happen. As Chrissy would say about obamacare and hospitals going under, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Last edited by dumpcare on 5/4/2017, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile
The coverage of this vote in the House has been on TV all morning. It really looks as if the celebration of this vote in the House is premature in that it stands so little hope of passing anything like this bill in the Senate. How are the constituents going to react when they feel the impact of a bill like this in the unlikely possibility that it actually gets passed into law?

Seems to me the R's are shooting themselves in the foot. I called Gaetz today saying I hoped he'd vote no. One phone line was overwhelmed with calls but I did get through to a staffer.

It looks as if this is just more stagecraft amounting to nothing or very little. With the Senate so unlikely to agree to this bill it reminds me of the R's voting 60 some times to repeal the ACA when they were secure with President Obama's certain veto. They could put on their song and dance without having to pay the piper.

View user profile
othershoe1030 wrote:The coverage of this vote in the House has been on TV all morning. It really looks as if the celebration of this vote in the House is premature in that it stands so little hope of passing anything like this bill in the Senate. How are the constituents going to react when they feel the impact of a bill like this in the unlikely possibility that it actually gets passed into law?

Seems to me the R's are shooting themselves in the foot. I called Gaetz today saying I hoped he'd vote no. One phone line was overwhelmed with calls but I did get through to a staffer.

It looks as if this is just more stagecraft amounting to nothing or very little. With the Senate so unlikely to agree to this bill it reminds me of the R's voting 60 some times to repeal the ACA when they were secure with President Obama's certain veto. They could put on their song and dance without having to pay the piper.

Total punt.

House Republicans just wanted off their plate.

It'll be fun watching them savage each other.

View user profile
othershoe1030 wrote:The coverage of this vote in the House has been on TV all morning. It really looks as if the celebration of this vote in the House is premature in that it stands so little hope of passing anything like this bill in the Senate. How are the constituents going to react when they feel the impact of a bill like this in the unlikely possibility that it actually gets passed into law?

I watched it for quite awhile on CNN on internet and during the vote none other than Gaetz down at the bottom of screen could be seen goofing off with someone.

View user profile

No they will pay the piper in 2018, have been reading posts on Breitbart and some other right wing and the alt right is none to happy, remember they wanted full repeal. This is piece meal.

View user profile
dumpcare wrote:

No they will pay the piper in 2018, have been reading posts on Breitbart and some other right wing and the alt right is none to happy, remember they wanted full repeal. This is piece meal.

Make America sick again and voting red is voting dead!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum