Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Feel good after giving a 90 minute interview with the Feinberg school of medicine for symptoms of Endocrine Cancer

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

I have somehow beaten the odds to have survived over 38 months after metastasis to my liver. I am going on 68 months. They were very detailed in the interview, and they had chose 15 patients at Northwestern in a national study. They are trying to codify the symptoms to help general practitioners better recognize the initial symptoms as this rare cancer is hard to find, and when they do finally diagnose it correctly, it is usually too late.

She was very excited at the end of the interview with some of the new symptoms I had outlined early in my illness. If I can help a patient avoid the malpractice I faced, it will be worth the hour and a half. She was shocked at the end of the interview when we were told to rate between 1-10 with 10 being very happy our mental attitude. I said endocrine cancer has been a blessing. The pain and discomfort can be unpleasant, but the slow nature of the disease has given me 9 years of not taking life for granted. I explained that I always enjoyed a challenge in my life, and the beauty of endocrine is that it slowly becomes more unpleasant, so each day when you wake up you enjoy the day almost in celebration fully knowing that next week or next month things will be worse. Sadly, there are no new drugs, treatments, or magic bullets which will save me, but I have been blessed to have the opportunity to be at a world class facility with full insurance which has given me 2.5 extra years. If the information I provided can help another patient to get that extra time, I want to stress it starts with hard physical work and a positive attitude. Cute grandchildren are a bonus.

RealLindaL

Well done, Sea -- and I mean that in all respects. I have little doubt that the treasure trove of information you've provided will surely help someone else -- maybe many someone elses. You did good, kid.

2seaoat

My wife is now having to drive me to Chicago. She is having to see what I see every month. She became very sad to see a twenty something girl who had lost her hair and had lost weight.
She was there with her very young husband giving support. We had lunch and saw a husband feeding his very sick wife in a wheelchair. Cancer is a MF, but to watch the courage of these people fighting their individual battles inspires me every month. It is when you see a young person that you are crushed. So many get bitter. So many ask why me. I guess it is human nature, but wisdom is always gained with a price. The look in that young husband's eyes just took the breath away from my wife, and watching the family caretaker who we assumed was the husban feed a very sick woman confirms what in the end is most important. Humanity and family. My journey has been a piece of cake so far. I got my shots and hope to rebound a little bit, but my wife was quite moved today. She has seen it before, but this girl was younger than our daughter. That is hard.

RealLindaL

Doubtless "hard" doesn't begin to describe it. Good thing Mrs. Seaoat is as tough as you are.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum