Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump campaign's Russia ties: Who's involved

+6
othershoe1030
Sal
del.capslock
Telstar
PkrBum
Floridatexan
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

PkrBum

PkrBum

She requested the unmasked intelligence that was coincidentally leaked. Who had access to that?

It shouldn't be too difficult to find out. But considering it's the crony corrupt ruling elite... it's unlikely.

Telstar

Telstar

PkrBum wrote:She requested the unmasked intelligence that was coincidentally leaked. Who had access to that?

It shouldn't be too difficult to find out. But considering it's the crony corrupt ruling elite... it's unlikely.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

WASHINGTON — The C.I.A. told senior lawmakers in classified briefings last summer that it had information indicating that Russia was working to help elect Donald J. Trump president, a finding that did not emerge publicly until after Mr. Trump’s victory months later, former government officials say.

The briefings indicate that intelligence officials had evidence of Russia’s intentions to help Mr. Trump much earlier in the presidential campaign than previously thought. The briefings also reveal a critical split last summer between the C.I.A. and counterparts at the F.B.I., where a number of senior officials continued to believe through last fall that Russia’s cyberattacks were aimed primarily at disrupting America’s political system, and not at getting Mr. Trump elected, according to interviews.

The former officials said that in late August — 10 weeks before the election — John O. Brennan, then the C.I.A. director, was so concerned about increasing evidence of Russia’s election meddling that he began a series of urgent, individual briefings for eight top members of Congress, some of them on secure phone lines while they were on their summer break.

It is unclear what new intelligence might have prompted the classified briefings. But with concerns growing both internally and publicly at the time about a significant Russian breach of the Democratic National Committee, the C.I.A. began seeing signs of possible connections to the Trump campaign, the officials said. By the campaign’s final weeks, Congress and the intelligence agencies were racing to understand the scope of the Russia threat.

In an Aug. 25 briefing for Harry Reid, then the top Democrat in the Senate, Mr. Brennan indicated that Russia’s hackings appeared aimed at helping Mr. Trump win the November election, according to two former officials with knowledge of the briefing.

The officials said Mr. Brennan also indicated that unnamed advisers to Mr. Trump might be working with the Russians to interfere in the election. The F.B.I. and two congressional committees are now investigating that claim, focusing on possible communications and financial dealings between Russian affiliates and a handful of former advisers to Mr. Trump. So far, no proof of collusion has emerged publicly.

Mr. Trump has rejected any suggestion of a Russian connection as “ridiculous” and “fake news.” The White House has also sought to redirect the focus from the investigation and toward what Mr. Trump has said, with no evidence, was President Barack Obama’s wiretapping of phones in Trump Tower during the presidential campaign.

The C.I.A. and the F.B.I. declined to comment for this article, as did Mr. Brennan and senior lawmakers who were part of the summer briefings.

In the August briefing for Mr. Reid, the two former officials said, Mr. Brennan indicated that the C.I.A., focused on foreign intelligence, was limited in its legal ability to investigate possible connections to Mr. Trump. The officials said Mr. Brennan told Mr. Reid that the F.B.I., in charge of domestic intelligence, would have to lead the way.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/us/trump-russia-cia-john-brennan.html

Vikingwoman

othershoe1030 wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:Before this is all over Flynn is going to make a deal to save himself. As I said before and I'll say it again there is no way Flynn called the Russian Am. and discussed the sanctions w/o Trump's knowledge and consent. Obama knew they had made a deal and he made sure before he left office he put those sanctions in because it would make it so much harder for Trump to undo them w/o suspicion. It messed up Trump and the Russians. Trump's having a hard time fulfilling his part of the deal and he hates Obama for it.

But... no concern that rice broke the law and created this entire narrative? Or that Obama knew?

I like to have a good argument about politics as much as the next person but your denseness regarding this particular situation is discouraging. No laws were broken. Rice was performing her job. Permission to see masked names of U.S. citizens is given by the security agency. Rice had to be given permission. Unmasking is not a crime. This whole scenario started by 45 is a blatant ploy to distract.

Now that Nunes has stepped aside from this investigation maybe things will go more smoothly.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/devin-nunes-stepping-aside-russia-intelligence-committee/index.html

Unmasking is not leaking

When the name of a U.S. person is unmasked, that information is provided only to the intelligence official who requested that unmasking, Rice said Tuesday. "There's no equivalence between so-called unmasking and leaking," she said.

Of course, the recipient of unmasked information could then illegally disclose it through a leak.

Rice denied leaking. "I leaked nothing to nobody, and never had and never would," she said.

Unmasking is not a crime

The process for unmasking vary from agency to agency and case by case depending on how the information was collected. But the exact procedures are not publicly known and may be classified.

“None of this unmasking procedure is in law. It's in procedure. Executive branch procedure," said Carrie Cordero, a national security lawyer who worked on surveillance issues in the Justice Department in the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations.

“What I think I’m seeing as the biggest fallacy being reported, or being 'pundited,' is that if there was some kind of improper unmasking, that it's illegal. And that’s wrong,” she said.

If it turns out that procedures weren't followed, they would most likely be subject to administrative discipline, Cordero said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/04/04/what-unmasking-how-intelligence-agencies-treat-us-citizens/100026368/

Thank You! I get weary of having to correct Pkr. all the time.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Again... who ordered the info compiled that was leaked? Who else had access... who else knew?

The list should be short.

Is this going to be an acceptable tactic for trump to use? Be honest.

Vikingwoman

You have to ask yourself, Pkr. why you are more concerned about who snitched than what the actual crime was? That says a lot.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Vikingwoman wrote:You have to ask yourself, Pkr. why you are more concerned about who snitched than what the actual crime was? That says a lot.

There was no crime. Hillary's campaign met with the Russians too. There wasn't even a controversy until Rice created one (illegally) for political consumption. You dems are just easily manipulated.

Vikingwoman

If there was no crime then why is the FBI investigating? They didn't intercept Hillary's campaign making covertly communications w/ the Russians.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Vikingwoman wrote:If there was no crime then why is the FBI investigating? They didn't intercept Hillary's campaign making covertly communications w/ the Russians.

It was incidental pickup during surveillance of the Russians... standard procedure except for the leak.

Vikingwoman

Jesus, you're a moron, Pkrdumb! They're not investigating because of a routine interception. They've got a hell of a lot more than that. You are totally clueless!

PkrBum

PkrBum

Then prove it. What laws were broken and by who? Be specific... state verifiable facts.

You can't... you have a narrative much like a children's book woven of wishes and fairy tales.

Dems would be much better off regrouping around solutions instead of patsy busywork.

But don't let me slow you down... lol.

Vikingwoman

Prove what,numnuts? That's what they're investigating. You don't make any sense. They've got numerous contacts between the Russians and Trump's campaign covertly. Get it? They're not talkng about out in the open meetings w/ the ambassador. Sheesh!

2seaoat

The only known fact is that the Russians injected their positions into the 2016 election. Some of what they did was certainly a crime. Beyond that, there has been a great deal of speculation which with time will be clarified.

del.capslock

del.capslock

2seaoat wrote:The only known fact is that the Russians injected their positions into the 2016 election.   Some of what they did was certainly a crime.   Beyond that, there has been a great deal of speculation which with time will be clarified.

You idiot!

July 7: Carter Page, a national-security adviser for the Trump campaign, speaks at a graduation ceremony at the New Economy School in Moscow. During the speech, Page criticized the U.S. and other Western powers for “[impeding] potential progress through their often hypocritical focus on ideas such as democratization, inequality, corruption and regime change.” Politico later reported that Corey Lewandowski, the Trump campaign manager at the time, signed off on the trip as long as Page didn’t make it as an official campaign representative.

September 8: Sessions privately meets Kislyak at Sessions’ Senate office in the presence of his Senate staff. In a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee on March 6, 2017, Sessions told lawmakers he “[does] not recall any discussions with the Russian Ambassador, or any other representative of the Russian government, regarding the political campaign on these occasions or any other occasion.”

Early December: Flynn and Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, privately meet with Kislyak at Trump Tower in New York City. White House spokeswoman Hope Hicks told the New York Times in March 2017 that the meeting lasted 20 minutes and that its purpose was to “establish a line of communication” between the Russian government and the new administration.

The above are from ONE article in ONE magazine.  How about this from another:

January 23, 1997: Trump meets with Alexander Lebed, a retired Soviet general then running to be president of Russia, at Trump Tower. Trump says they discussed his plans to build "something major" in Moscow.

June, 2005: Paul Manafort, later Trump's campaign chairman, pens a strategy memo to Russia oligarch and Putin confidant Oleg Deripaska, with whom he would sign a $10 million lobbying contract the following year.

December 19, 2007: In a deposition, Trump is asked about his plans to build a hotel in Moscow. He says, "It was a Trump International Hotel and Tower. It would be a nonexclusive deal, so it would not have precluded me from doing other deals in Moscow, which was very important to me."

June 18, 2013: Following the Miss USA contest in Las Vegas, Trump announces that he will bring the Miss Universe pageant to Moscow.

He followed that up with a couple tweets:

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
The Miss Universe Pageant will be broadcast live from MOSCOW, RUSSIA on November 9th. A big deal that will bring our countries together!
10:00 PM - 18 Jun 2013

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
Do you think Putin will be going to The Miss Universe Pageant in November in Moscow - if so, will he become my new best friend?
10:17 PM - 18 Jun 2013

May 27, 2014: At a National Press Club luncheon, Trump says, "I was in Moscow recently and I spoke, indirectly and directly, with President Putin, who could not have been nicer."

Here's something from The Boston Globe:

In early July [of 2016], Carter Page, someone candidate Trump identified as one of his national security advisors, travels to Moscow on a trip approved by the Trump campaign. While in Moscow, he gives a speech critical of the United States and other western countries for what he believes is a hypocritical focus on democratization and efforts to fight corruption.

The above are from a 10-minute Google search. Any damn fool--even YOU--could've found them. If I felt you were worth the effort, I could find a dozen more instances.

What, you think it was just coincidence that the Ukraine plank got axed at the Republican convention?

Come on, how can you say something so preposterously ignorant as "The only known fact..."

You sound just like TRUMP with his exaggerations and lies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/btraven/

Vikingwoman

A week before Michael Flynn resigned as national security adviser, a sealed proposal was hand-delivered to his office, outlining a way for President Donald Trump to lift sanctions against Russia.

Flynn is gone, having been caught lying about his own discussion of sanctions with the Russian ambassador. But the proposal, a peace plan for Ukraine and Russia, remains, along with those pushing it: Michael Cohen, the president’s personal lawyer, who delivered the document; Felix Sater, a business associate who helped Trump scout deals in Russia; and a Ukrainian lawmaker trying to rise in a political opposition movement shaped in part by Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort.

At a time when Trump’s ties to Russia, and the people connected to him, are under heightened scrutiny – with investigations by US intelligence agencies, the FBI and Congress – some of his associates remain willing and eager to wade into Russia-related efforts behind the scenes.

Trump has confounded Democrats and Republicans alike with his repeated praise for the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, and his desire to forge a US-Russian alliance. While there is nothing illegal about such unofficial efforts, a proposal that seems to tip toward Russian interests may set off alarms.http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/trump-associates-cook-up-secret-peace-plan-for-ukraine-and-russia-1.2982102

Vikingwoman

Two weeks before the Inauguration, intelligence officers briefed both Obama and Trump about a dossier of unverified allegations compiled by Christopher Steele, a former British intelligence officer. The thirty-five-page dossier, which included claims about Trump’s behavior during a 2013 trip to Moscow, had been shopped around to various media outlets by researchers opposed to Trump’s candidacy. The dossier concluded that Russia had personal and financial material on Trump that could be used as blackmail. It said that the Russians had been “cultivating, supporting, and assisting” Trump for years. According to current and former government officials, prurient details in the dossier generated skepticism among some members of the intelligence community, who, as one put it, regarded it as a “nutty” product to present to a President. But, in the weeks that followed, they confirmed some of its less explosive claims, relating to conversations with foreign nationals. “They are continuing to chase down stuff from the dossier, and, at its core, a lot of it is bearing out,” an intelligence official said. Some officials believe that one reason the Russians compiled information on Trump during his 2013 trip was that he was meeting with Russian oligarchs who might be stashing money abroad—a sign of disloyalty, in Putin’s eyes.http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/06/trump-putin-and-the-new-cold-war

Long article but it puts together what is going on in the Trump admin. and Russia.

Sal

Sal

Vikingwoman wrote:Felix Sater, a business associate who helped Trump scout deals in Russia;

Sater is a shady mofo.

This is a long read but well worth it ...

http://whowhatwhy.org/2017/03/27/fbi-cant-tell-trump-russia/

PkrBum

PkrBum

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-obtained-fisa-warrant-to-monitor-former-trump-adviser-carter-page/2017/04/11/620192ea-1e0e-11e7-ad74-3a742a6e93a7_story.html?utm_term=.6091c227bfd9

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-obtained-fisa-warrant-to-monitor-former-trump-adviser-carter-page/2017/04/11/620192ea-1e0e-11e7-ad74-3a742a6e93a7_story.html?utm_term=.6091c227bfd9

We all likely heard about this on the evening news/opinion shows. And your thoughts on this are what, exactly? Why are you posting it here?

Telstar

Telstar

If Nixon had as many ties to the Russians as the new guy does they would have chopped off his head and watched it roll into the basket.

Ukraine ‘Black ledger’ that forced Manafort out of Trump campaign exists — and he was paid at least $1.2M

Paul Manafort was paid at least $1.2 million from a so-called “black ledger” used by a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine to make off-the-book payments, according to newly revealed documents.

The Associated Press obtained handwritten financial records that appear to confirm the existence of the ledger, which Manafort claimed was fabricated, and that his consulting firm was paid through it.

The documents show payments made in 2007 and 2009 — years before Manafort served as Trump’s unpaid campaign chairman — but could be helpful to investigators in both the U.S. and Ukraine.

Ukrainian investigators said the evidence points to a larger pattern of corruption under the country’s pro-Kremlin former president, Viktor Yanukovych.

Federal prosecutors in the U.S. are investigating Manafort’s work in Eastern Europe as part of an anti-corruption case.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/ukraine-black-ledger-that-forced-manafort-out-of-trump-campaign-exists-and-he-was-paid-at-least-1-2m/

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This came out today, which supports my idea that 45 dropped the big bomb in Afghanistan today to overshadow these new revelations. Apparently many intelligence agencies knew about the Trump team and their contact with Russian agents.

Britain’s spy agencies played a crucial role in alerting their counterparts in Washington to contacts between members of Donald Trump’s campaign team and Russian intelligence operatives, the Guardian has been told.

GCHQ first became aware in late 2015 of suspicious “interactions” between figures connected to Trump and known or suspected Russian agents, a source close to UK intelligence said. This intelligence was passed to the US as part of a routine exchange of information, they added.

Over the next six months, until summer 2016, a number of western agencies shared further information on contacts between Trump’s inner circle and Russians, sources said.

The European countries that passed on electronic intelligence – known as sigint – included Germany, Estonia and Poland. Australia, a member of the “Five Eyes” spying alliance that also includes the US, UK, Canada and New Zealand, also relayed material, one source said.

Donald Trump's first 100 days as president – daily updates
Read more
Another source suggested the Dutch and the French spy agency, the General Directorate for External Security or DGSE, were contributors.

It is understood that GCHQ was at no point carrying out a targeted operation against Trump or his team or proactively seeking information. The alleged conversations were picked up by chance as part of routine surveillance of Russian intelligence assets. Over several months, different agencies targeting the same people began to see a pattern of connections that were flagged to intelligence officials in the US.

The issue of GCHQ’s role in the FBI’s ongoing investigation into possible cooperation between the Trump campaign and Moscow is highly sensitive. In March Trump tweeted that Barack Obama had illegally “wiretapped” him in Trump Tower.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/13/british-spies-first-to-spot-trump-team-links-russia

RealLindaL

othershoe1030 wrote:This came out today, which supports my idea that 45 dropped the big bomb in Afghanistan today to overshadow these new revelations. Apparently many intelligence agencies knew about the Trump team and their contact with Russian agents.

One of these days -- though who knows how far down the road -- I foresee the s**t hitting the proverbial fan on the collusion question. But until that day arrives, I fear the only thing we can do is wait and hope.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

RealLindaL wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:This came out today, which supports my idea that 45 dropped the big bomb in Afghanistan today to overshadow these new revelations. Apparently many intelligence agencies knew about the Trump team and their contact with Russian agents.

One of these days -- though who knows how far down the road -- I foresee the s**t hitting the proverbial fan on the collusion question.  But until that day arrives, I fear the only thing we can do is wait and hope.  

It is understood that GCHQ was at no point carrying out a targeted operation against Trump or his team or proactively seeking information. The alleged conversations were picked up by chance as part of routine surveillance of Russian intelligence assets. Over several months, different agencies targeting the same people began to see a pattern of connections that were flagged to intelligence officials in the US.

You know, the press is all over this story like white on rice and are competing strenuously to break any news they can unearth. Contrary to 45's unfounded TWEET that started or restarted this topic it is becoming increasingly evident that the tower was not tapped.

The reason 45's people were picked up was because they were talking to people that we consider to be bad actors, the Russian agents. It was those conversations with the Russians that caught them not some political "spying" by the WH.

Was 45 just trying to cozy up to Putin as a means of doing business in Russia and the Russians just took advantage of his intent? Putin wanted to weaken Hillary. Maybe he got more than he bargained for and now he's trying to figure out how best to take advantage of the situation?

PkrBum

PkrBum

othershoe1030 wrote:Was 45 just trying to cozy up to Putin as a means of doing business in Russia and the Russians just took advantage of his intent? Putin wanted to weaken Hillary. Maybe he got more than he bargained for and now he's trying to figure out how best to take advantage of the situation?

Or... Putin has been played by trump to gain a better negotiating position. It's just as likely... if not moreso.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:Was 45 just trying to cozy up to Putin as a means of doing business in Russia and the Russians just took advantage of his intent? Putin wanted to weaken Hillary. Maybe he got more than he bargained for and now he's trying to figure out how best to take advantage of the situation?

Or... Putin has been played by trump to gain a better negotiating position. It's just as likely... if not moreso.

Please explain how Trump's position has been improved by having his associates (at least) exposed as having communicated with Russian agents. I fail to see how this helps Donald either politically or personally.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum