Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Muscle Cramps

+4
ZVUGKTUBM
PkrBum
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Muscle Cramps Empty Muscle Cramps 3/16/2017, 2:54 am

2seaoat

I over did it again today. I was awakened ten minutes ago to widespread leg cramping. I remember as a teenager when I was rapidly growing. It was a nightly thing. I take potassium supplements because with my blood pressure medicines I have so much water reduction that my potassium gets too low and the doctors insist that I take the supplement. Well, I was building some retention on the project and did some shovel work after the bobcat dug and created mounds which we will sod.........came home exhausted and had a late meal at Culvers in Navarre, and went to sleep immediately.......then bam.....teenager leg cramps.

2Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/16/2017, 8:50 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Hydrate with Gatorade when you are working and after you finish.

3Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/16/2017, 8:54 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

Pickle and tomato juice... vodka is optional.

4Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/16/2017, 9:17 am

2seaoat

I drank a can of v8 and it helped almost immediately. I will get a case of gatorade as it warms we will be putting some finishing touches on the project. I have completed my loading ramp for the bobcat, and will try to load it up and take it to a rental house to fix and build a turn around driveway. I am going to have to create a shared driveway agreement after I complete the loop as we own both houses on both sides of the current curb cut driveway. After I am gone, I want my wife to have the option to sell one or both of the houses.

I am going to have to scoop up all the existing gravel and white sands, and get a load of road clay to create a new base, and then put the sand and gravel over the new base. I used to go to the port and get white bahamian gravel for the driveway which is like buying gold. In Illinois we can fill our dump truck up for about $19 for three tons, and here it is about $150. I have to get the bobcat back to Illinois because one of our neighbors said with the warm weather they had a February flood which deposited a huge maple tree over our main road to one of the main causeway crossings. I can use the lull, but in early spring after the islands have flooded the weight of the lull leaves ruts. The bobcat is a rubber tracked machine which floats on the surface and will be able to push the tree off the road until is dries out a bit more. The problem will be once I drop off the bobcat to do the driveway work, I have no way to get it back into the bed of the dump truck. I have a very high mound septic system we think we can back up to and run the bobcat off the back end of the truck, but getting it back into the truck to return to Illinois for the season will require us building another ramp which used about a truckload of sandy fill, so it looks like I will need about three loads of dirt and clay, and our dump truck full of gravel.

5Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/16/2017, 10:13 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Dad experienced muscle cramping a lot. It would wake him in the middle of the night. I know that one thing that helped him was quinine pills. Also, surprisingly, the bar of soap in the bed trick worked for him.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

6Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/16/2017, 10:16 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Quinine does help.

7Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/16/2017, 11:17 pm

2seaoat

I am afraid to ask what the bar of soap trick is or was?

8Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/17/2017, 12:12 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

lol!

9Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/17/2017, 1:30 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I take potassium on occasion to offset the effects of blood pressure medication, but there are many potassium-rich foods. Bananas always come to mind because they are effective in so many different situations. Spinach and other leafy greens are high in potassium. Some of the other essentials that many of us are missing in our diets are Vitamin D, magnesium and selenium. Of course, Vitamin D can be obtained simply by sitting in the sun for a short time each day. Magnesium can come from an epsom salt bath. Selenium has many sources...seafood, beef, etc. It's important to get these three elements; many people are deficient in all three.

10Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/17/2017, 1:30 am

RealLindaL

Following link is to an interesting Snopes.com discussion about the soap in the bed theory, which they term an "Unproven" old home remedy.  But in the process they provide some additional information, including the mention of a few other home remedies.  Most concerning to me, though, based on this forum discussion and recommendations put forth, was the following statement:

"It needs be noted that in 2010 the FDA strongly cautioned consumers against using quinine to combat leg cramps because the drug can cause severe side effects, including death."

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/legcramp.asp

11Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/17/2017, 8:17 am

Sal

Sal

My wife swears by the soap trick.

I find it ludicrous, but I have been married nearly twenty-five years and have learned to very carefully choose my battles.

12Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/17/2017, 5:10 pm

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:My wife swears by the soap trick.

I find it ludicrous, but I have been married nearly twenty-five years and have learned to very carefully choose my battles.

Very, very smart man there, Sal. Smile And of course, if nothing else, we can't discount the power of suggestion. The mind is a mighty powerful thing.

13Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/17/2017, 5:50 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:Following link is to an interesting Snopes.com discussion about the soap in the bed theory, which they term an "Unproven" old home remedy.  But in the process they provide some additional information, including the mention of a few other home remedies.  Most concerning to me, though, based on this forum discussion and recommendations put forth, was the following statement:

"It needs be noted that in 2010 the FDA strongly cautioned consumers against using quinine to combat leg cramps because the drug can cause severe side effects, including death."

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/legcramp.asp

Exactly why it is a prescription medication taken under a physician's care. Normally Quinine is used to treat malaria. However,  in the past it was frequently used successfully to treat leg cramps

But thanks for pointing out the negative aspect of my post.

14Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/18/2017, 12:04 am

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:But thanks for pointing out the negative aspect of my post.

Wow, talk about your narcissism. My post was not about YOU, Mrs. Mean and Nasty, nor were YOU the only person to mention quinine. My post was about warning people against considering quinine as something rather harmless but effective, as many of us had for decades. Obviously the FDA doesn't put out warnings like that every day, and 2010 is fairly recent as far as changes to recommendations about this long-standing medication. I wasn't aware of the FDA notice and am betting many if not most others here weren't, either.

Oh, and I think we all learned sometime around fifth grade about quinine and malaria, but thanks for the gratis pedantics.

15Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/18/2017, 12:53 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:But thanks for pointing out the negative aspect of my post.

Wow, talk about  your narcissism.  My post was not about YOU, Mrs. Mean and Nasty, nor were YOU the only person to mention quinine.  My post was about warning people against considering quinine as something rather harmless but effective, as many of us had for decades.   Obviously the FDA doesn't put out warnings like that every day, and 2010 is fairly recent as far as changes to recommendations about this long-standing medication.  I wasn't aware of the FDA notice and am betting many if not most others here weren't, either.

Oh, and I think we all learned sometime around fifth grade about quinine and malaria, but thanks for the gratis pedantics.
Warning people...it still would require a prescription. 

Lol....there's that pompous pretentiousness.

16Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/18/2017, 1:01 am

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:Lol....there's that pompous pretentiousness.

No, actually it was just plain English. Did I say something you didn't understand?

17Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/18/2017, 1:17 am

PkrBum

PkrBum

RealLindaL wrote:

No, actually it was just plain English.  Did I say something you didn't understand?

Didn't you try to?

18Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/18/2017, 2:00 am

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

No, actually it was just plain English.  Did I say something you didn't understand?

Didn't you try to?

It's how I write, Pkr. You don't like it, don't read my posts.

19Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/18/2017, 2:37 pm

RealLindaL

Oh, and btw, Pkr, if you think my "gratis pedantics" phrase was an attempt to say something she wouldn't understand, you're clearly insulting your good pal Joani.

20Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/18/2017, 2:58 pm

PkrBum

PkrBum

RealLindaL wrote:Oh, and btw, Pkr, if you think my "gratis pedantics" phrase was an attempt to say something she wouldn't understand, you're clearly insulting your good pal Joani.

I was speaking to your intent... which conveniently fed in exactly to what Joani said... lol.

21Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/18/2017, 4:37 pm

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Oh, and btw, Pkr, if you think my "gratis pedantics" phrase was an attempt to say something she wouldn't understand, you're clearly insulting your good pal Joani.

I was speaking to your intent... which conveniently fed in exactly to what Joani said... lol.

Baloney.  Attempt, intent, same meaning in this instance.  Your questioning my "intent" clearly implies that I was trying -- or attempting, or hoping, or intending, whatever word you pick -- to say something that would confuse poor Joani - an insult to her, whether or not YOU so intended.  Not that I really care, you realize; I was simply pointing it out for your own interest or edification.  

But since you didn't seem to understand my last post, I'll just clarify that my sole "intent" was to use the English language (in the same manner I usually do) to convey my opinion as to Joani's need to instruct us on quinine and malaria.  If using English constitutes "pompous pretentiousness" (Joani's phrase), then, of course, we're all guilty of it every time we open our mouths or put pen to paper.

So despite what may've seemed "convenient" to you, any other presumption on your part about my intent in using any particular English words would be just that -- pure presumption -- unless, of course, you're a mind reader.

22Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/19/2017, 1:25 pm

Vikingwoman

RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Didn't you try to?

It's how I write, Pkr.   You don't like it, don't read my posts.

LOL! I like that.

23Muscle Cramps Empty Re: Muscle Cramps 3/19/2017, 2:21 pm

RealLindaL

Vikingwoman wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

Didn't you try to?

It's how I write, Pkr.   You don't like it, don't read my posts.

LOL! I like that.

Thanks for saying, Viking. Smile Was just speaking the simple truth.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum