This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My husband is now in the hospital

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 My husband is now in the hospital on 2/24/2017, 9:06 pm

I don't really know how much to say about this. He developed an infection in his leg...but there's also the Plavix he's been on since last June. He had a problem with severe anemia the last time.

View user profile
I'm sorry. Is the infection a sore or inside of the leg? Redness and swelling? The leg feeling hot to the touch? Depending upon these things there are some very serious issues that can arise. The circulation can be compromised and even occluded if the swelling isn't controlled... and/or sepsis (the infection reaching the blood) can occur. I would suggest getting a set of blood cultures if they don't seem to be able to pinpoint the infection. I hope he feels better soon.

View user profile

3 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/24/2017, 10:15 pm

Infections in these days can be serious, but hopefully getting to the hospital early will knock it down. I guess we take health for granted in our youth. The toughest job in the world is being a caretaker. Hopefully he will recover fully.

View user profile

4 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/25/2017, 12:06 am

2seaoat wrote:Infections in these days can be serious, but hopefully getting to the hospital early will knock it down.  I guess we take health for granted in our youth.  The toughest job in the world is being a caretaker.  Hopefully he will recover fully.

He is admitted for tonight and seems to be doing well. They kept him in the ER for hours running tests. I will know more tomorrow.

View user profile
Hope he will be ok. I have the same questions PkrBum has. Does he have a sore on his leg?

Prayers will be said.

View user profile
This seems to be the winter of our discontent. My husband has been called in for consultation with his cardiologist next week following a stress echo test this past week. We don't know whether to expect it's about some change in his long-standing mild aortic stenosis, or a new artery blockage (he's had several over time but no problems since bypass in 2001). He's not getting any younger (is significantly older than I) so this all makes me very nervous, especially the not knowing -- though I'm hiding it well. He has no symptoms at present, knock on wood, but we realize that doesn't mean nothing's going on.

All of that is to say I sincerely empathize with you, FT, and will keep fingers and toes crossed that all will be well with you dear husband in very short order. Please keep us in the loop as/when you're able. I know it's no fun.

View user profile
Hoping for the very best for FT and Linda's husband's. It hasn't been a very good few months for any of us.

View user profile

8 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/25/2017, 11:27 am

Hope your husband is ok, Linda.

View user profile

Thanks for your kindness, everyone. Yes, he had a sore on his leg, but it had healed over. With the 2 blood thinners, any small scrape or cut bleeds profusely. But this one, although it scabbed over, didn't heal and was causing him tremendous pain...and his hemoglobin count was dropping again, so I know he had symptoms of that as well...all of which he hid from me. His primary physician at the VA has 1,200 patients. I don't fault the doctor...he's great. But the VA needs more medical personnel, not fewer. I finally talked to the nurse and she arranged for a visit while he was there for his clinics. The upper GI showed nothing, colonoscopy is scheduled for tomorrow am. He's in reasonably good spirits, considering he has to drink that horrible GoLightly.

View user profile

10 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/25/2017, 6:30 pm

Good spirits and attitude can make all the difference. Keep us posted... good luck.

View user profile

11 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/25/2017, 7:20 pm

Keep us posted FT. Is the VA doctor doing the GI tests?

View user profile

12 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/25/2017, 8:17 pm

I appreciate FT posting the health issues with her beloved hubby, so often we keep these stressful and personal issues private . . . hang in there FT!

View user profile

13 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/26/2017, 2:48 am

ppaca wrote:Hoping for the very best for FT and Linda's husband's. It hasn't been a very good few months for any of us.

It sure seems that way, ppaca. Thanks in any event for your good hopes for our husbands.

View user profile

14 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/26/2017, 2:48 am

Joanimaroni wrote:Hope your husband is ok, Linda.

Thank you, Joani.

View user profile

15 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/26/2017, 9:14 pm

Update on spouses?

View user profile

16 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/26/2017, 11:26 pm

I don't want to go into great detail about my husband's health issues. So far, so good. He's still hospitalized, but may get out tomorrow. Meanwhile, I am feeling rudderless.

View user profile

17 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/26/2017, 11:51 pm

Hope he is able to come home tomorrow.

View user profile

18 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/27/2017, 2:15 am

Floridatexan wrote:
I don't want to go into great detail about my husband's health issues.  So far, so good.  He's still hospitalized, but may get out tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I am feeling rudderless.

Have been where you are more than once, FT, and totally, totally understand the stress you must be under. Please try to find a way to be good to yourself and reduce the negative impact on your own system as best you can...

As for my husband, thanks for asking, Sea, but we'll not know any more about what the worry is until after Wednesday's appointment with the cardiologist to discuss test results. Meanwhile, he seems to be fine, knock on wood.

View user profile

19 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 2/27/2017, 5:35 am

Hope all goes well for your Hubby,FT.

View user profile
How's your hubby doing now, FT? Was he able to go home, I hope? Sorry if I missed something...

View user profile

21 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 3/2/2017, 11:39 am

In answer to Joani: Upper and lower GI showed nothing...could be spider veins aggravated by Plavix, but they also removed 2 large benign polyps from the colon. Infection in the leg is healing. However, the plan is to install a pacemaker. His heart rate and BP have been all over the place. He's still hospitalized pending clearance from infection...

And Linda, and everyone else who's going through trials, I have one word for you: Mindfulness.

View user profile

22 Re: My husband is now in the hospital on 3/2/2017, 12:01 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
In answer to Joani:  Upper and lower GI showed nothing...could be spider veins aggravated by Plavix, but they also removed 2 large benign polyps from the colon.  Infection in the leg is healing.  However, the plan is to install a pacemaker.  His heart rate and BP have been all over the place.  He's still hospitalized pending clearance from infection...

And Linda, and everyone else who's going through trials, I have one word for you:  Mindfulness.

Glad the GI is ok....we're the spider veins in the stomach or esophagus?

Ian L. Weisberg, M.D.. Cardiology; Electrophysiology...he is very good. He did my sister's pacemaker. She has never had health issues, not on any medication, and plays tennis 4-5 times a week. A healthy active 60 year old....thought she had a cold because she would start coughing during exertion. Her heart rate was dropping down to 20. She has had her pacemaker for a year and has not had any problems. Still playing tennis, works full time, and no medication.

View user profile
mindful is good. It is essential to be aware of all the factors and not take any thing for granted, including and not limited to medical options outlined by a doctor. You have to become an advocate and make sure that any procedure can first be justified by an understanding of where the patient is.........I do not want to give the impression that I am very skeptical of what doctors say to me, but they all know that I will question, and I make it clear that for me to give an informed consent to treatment, I need to understand where my body is now, what options help, and what are the risks. Sometimes I have found that doctors do needless procedures and tests without fully explaining the purpose, and the goal. So mindful is a very good state of being, because one does not have to be cynical or negative to be aware, and demand that all who are treating the patient can verbalize their reason and logic for the course of treatment.

View user profile
Thanks for the update, FT, and it sounds as if there's a clearing path forward for your husband.  Good.  May all go well!  Do please keep us in the loop as much as you feel comfortable.

As for mindfulness, that can mean a lot of things --  including, of course, everything that seaoat talked about and with which I heartily concur.  With my husband's long history of heart disease as well as his auto-immune syndrome, and everything we've been through with all that over the decades, I can heartily and respectfully assure you both we likely need no lessons in that regard.   Smile

I realize this is FT's thread, but since I brought it up before I'll just do a very quick update on my husband, following consultation with his cardio guy late yesterday afternoon:  results of his stress echo test indicate moderate to severe aortic stenosis, and it appears a valve replacement (hopefully transcather if he can qualify) will be in his near future.   This is NOT news to us; we've known for years the day would come and he's been watched every six months for some time now.  He still needs further testing and evaluation by the TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement)team, and we await their call re an initial appointment.  Nothing critical or emergent, but it's coming very soon.  No fun, and somewhat risky, but needs to be done.
Any further updates I'll start a new thread.

Last edited by RealLindaL on 3/2/2017, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo - qualify, not quality)

View user profile
Hope all the hubbys  will be ok.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum