Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Linking Up With Old Service Friends...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

A few years ago, I started Googling the names of some of the people I served with in the Marine Corps eons ago. I found some of these folks, but was reluctant to contact them, thinking perhaps they had moved on and would not want to talk to me. One name stood out to me, because this person now lives in Mobile. I knew he continued in aviation after leaving the Marine Corps in 1980, and I assumed he was maybe flying helicopters offshore to the oil rigs. Yesterday, I finally developed the nerve to call his phone number, and I talked to his wife. She told me he had mentioned my name to her over the years, and said he would be returning from Atlanta today and that he would definitely call, me.

My friend called me this afternoon, and we stayed on the phone for 3 hours. Mrs. Z kept passing me notes to see if we could arrange a lunch liaison with he and his wife at some point in the near future. He agreed and I suggested we let the two wives work out the details.

My friend in Mobile then gave me contact information for my former room-mate from Whiting Field, as the both of them became Coast Guard officers (and pilots) after they left the Marines, and were stationed together. So I sent this other friend an email (after getting his email address), and he answered me back quickly. I am hoping we can talk tomorrow.

These are folks I last saw in 1979. We went through the flight training program together in 1975-76. After retiring from the Coast Guard, my friend from Mobile ultimately flew as a copilot on MD-88s for Delta. My former room-mate is still flying--Gulfstream executive jets for Chevron--I think he flies Chevron Executives all over the world.

I am just blown away by all of this, and am kicking myself for not calling on my Mobile friend right after I found his number in 2010!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I think this is wonderful.

2seaoat

I am very happy you reconnected with friends. I am constantly doing the same and it is very rewarding. Sometimes it is hard to believe how fast time passes, but true friends are timeless.

Very cool..!!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I really have been riding a high the past few days. I sent my former roommate from Whiting an email Wednesday evening, and he almost immediately answered me and gave me his cell phone number in an email back to me. We talked for a bit on Thursday, and this evening he emailed me a photograph of him inside the cabin of the Chevron, Inc. owned Gulfstream G550 executive jet that he now flies.

At first, I did not recognize him from the photo--we are both geezers now--but after studying it for a while, I began to see features that I saw in the 24 year old, when I knew him closely.

He flies the president of Chevron and other executives all over the world. Angola, Nigeria, Russia, China, the "Stans". I guess anywhere Chevron has an oil well.

My wife is anxious to meet my buddy over in Mobile, so I am going to put his wife and my wife together to work out a way to meet between here and Mobile for lunch and talk. Mrs. Z later did some Googling around and found this friend's photo, and it was the same reaction from me--I did not recognize him until I saw features from his younger face, then I knew it to be him.

I am going to remember this week as one of the highlights of 2017, for sure.

That's really neat that you can reconnect with old friends like that. I've reconnected with many old friends through social media... but many others that I can't seem to find any trace of... including my two best friends from hs and my best friend from the Jr national tennis circuit. I sure wish I could find them. I can only assume that they died young or missed the tech age.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:That's really neat that you can reconnect with old friends like that. I've reconnected with many old friends through social media... but many others that I can't seem to find any trace of... including my two best friends from hs and my best friend from the Jr national tennis circuit. I sure wish I could find them. I can only assume that they died young or missed the tech age.

Keep looking, Pkrbm. Now I am motivated to try and find my last two squadron commanders from California. I once traced one to a city in Arizona, and I know he retired as a full colonel in 1997. I am going to keep trying to find both.

I stay connected with a few others.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum