This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Roku streaming video with a usb connection to your TV

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

We just had Media Com connect a 50mg fastest internet only service in a house we own in Navarre. We currently have Direct TV in Illinois, and have found a direct tv dish on the house, but the wires were cut, so we have the media com guy run a line into the house, and we will experiment Saturday to see if we can get direct Tv to work here. The company lets people take 1 reciever with an rv or when traveling seasonally. It is a pretty cool policy, but we are finding the streaming video is pretty cool.

We have four direct TV receivers at home, and pay over a hundred dollars a month for HBO and a pretty basic Direct TV package. We are spending $45 for the first year of high speed internet per month. We bought a combination modem and router at Best Buy for $99, and the Roku was $40.

We can get the HBO for only $14 per month which is less than the Direct Tv pricing, and are paying over $10 per receiver per month with direct TV. We are thinking about canceling our direct TV after Christmas as we have old equipment, and we will buy one more Roku thumb drive and will take them with us where ever we are, Florida(north or South) or back home. When it is all over and done, we think we can save over fifty bucks a month. The hassle is moving the Roku device to our third tv, where with the multiple Direct TV boxes currently at home.

We have signed up for Netflix, and other TV services and are getting a two month free trial to determine which ones we keep after Christmas, but what I have learned today is the whole content argument was huge, because Comcast is taking a big hit, like Direct TV with having the internet deliver content as compared to Comcast Cable and direct tv satellite, but with local broadband competition, and developing Mesh technology where cities can offer citizens huge bandwidth, you can see why the lobbyist are trying to get control over bandwidth which can deliver tv content. Very interesting and I will be playing with this for the next two months, but I am sitting in Florida watching a Bulls game......pretty cool.

View user profile
2seaoat wrote:We just had Media Com connect a 50mg fastest internet only service in a house we own in Navarre.   We currently have Direct TV in Illinois, and have found a direct tv dish on the house, but the wires were cut, so we have the media com guy run a line into the house, and we will experiment Saturday to see if we can get direct Tv to work here.  The company lets people take 1 reciever with an rv or when traveling seasonally.   It is a pretty cool policy, but we are finding the streaming video is pretty cool.

We have four direct TV receivers at home, and pay over a hundred dollars a month for HBO and a pretty basic Direct TV package.   We are spending $45 for the first year of high speed internet per month.  We bought a combination modem and router at Best Buy for $99, and the Roku was $40.

We can get the HBO for only $14 per month which is less than the Direct Tv pricing, and are paying over $10 per receiver per month with direct TV.  We are thinking about canceling our direct TV after Christmas as we have old equipment, and we will buy one more Roku thumb drive and will take them with us where ever we are, Florida(north or South) or back home.  When it is all over and done, we think we can save over fifty bucks a month.  The hassle is moving the Roku device to our third tv, where with the multiple Direct TV boxes currently at home.  

We have signed up for Netflix, and other TV services and are getting a two month free trial to determine which ones we keep after Christmas, but what I have learned today is the whole content argument was huge, because Comcast is taking a big hit, like Direct TV with having the internet deliver content as compared to Comcast Cable and direct tv satellite, but with local broadband competition, and developing Mesh technology where cities can offer citizens huge bandwidth, you can see why the lobbyist are trying to get control over bandwidth which can deliver tv content.   Very interesting and I will be playing with this for the next two months, but I am sitting in Florida watching a Bulls game......pretty cool.


Just in time for the cold snap. Hopefully the snakes and mosquitoes will stay away.

View user profile
Been to New Yorker Deli yet? We were in there Thursday evening and I found myself looking for you. But how would you manage on hard wooden chairs?

View user profile

Guest


Guest
Seaoat, we recently purchased Roku for our family room TV. My husband refers to it as the "dumb" tv and it needed a brain. Agree on the free trial and then sift out what we don't want. I figure we'll stick with Netflix. So far I've watched The Crown offered from BBC2. Very good. John Lithgow, while much taller than Churchill, offers an excellent portrayal.

Hard or soft chairs the tailbone is hurting, but the problem is increasingly having difficulty in getting up from a restaurant chair. A good sturdy table, or the back of a good sturdy chair allow me to brace myself and get up. I have tipped tables and had Mrs. Seaoat assist me. Six months ago I never imagined I would have difficulty getting up from a chair.

I am going to spend the afternoon today spreading rye seasonal grass and St Augustine for under the live oaks. I take a plastic chair, a rake, and large bowls where I mix the seed in different ratios. I hope to get pizza next week, but we are set up in Navarre for the winter so it will have to be when we are working in Milton to go over. We have been there about four times and Mrs. Seaoat loves the pizza. It is the only pizza place we have found in the panhandle which is edible. We will try a few Navarre Pizza places, but in the past twenty years it has been awful, with us as a last resort going to pizza hut next to the Ky fried chicken and the grocery store.

View user profile
My husband refers to it as the "dumb" tv

Agree. It does nothing automatically, and we like to sleep with the tv on, but it will shut off if you are not making selections. We have put the apps on our smart phones, but how smart are the humans when they constantly have to use a smart phone to control a dumb TV which shuts off if you are not interacting with the tv. We will keep experimenting, but we are thinking of just going with HBO go, and will be getting a good digital antenna to pick up local channels. Maybe a basic package with slinger or hulu. A great deal to learn about dumb tv, but right now our biggest bitch will be finding a continuous station to watch. Also, we do not know how much bandwidth we will be gobbling up on Mediacom high speed internet, but we are only down for three week increments and back to Northwestern for shots.

View user profile
My wife has several Rokus (she keeps getting the next upgrade) and has been using them for about 3.5 years. She uses them all the time. She'll binge-watch  series streamed via Amazon Prime TV and Netflix when she is using the Roku.

We still have ATT UVerse, however. I don't think she would ever allow me to shed regular cable...... Razz

She watches at least some TV most evenings. I mostly only watch TV during football season.

View user profile http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com
RealLindaL wrote:Been to New Yorker Deli yet?   We were in there Thursday evening and I found myself looking for you.  But how would you manage on hard wooden chairs?


New Yorker Deli is the best. My go-to is the spaghetti and meatballs.


_________________
I approve this message.
View user profile
boards of FL wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Been to New Yorker Deli yet?   We were in there Thursday evening and I found myself looking for you.  But how would you manage on hard wooden chairs?


New Yorker Deli is the best.  My go-to is the spaghetti and meatballs.  

We're definitely in agreement on the New Yorker, boards.  Will have to try the spaghetti sometime, though we usually go on a lighter fare, sandwich/salad night.   On that score the Reuben is the best sandwich ever (we do the turkey version), though the Tuna Melt on rye (or whatever bread you like; they have several including sourdough) is also yummy.  And I always enjoy their Chef's Salad.  Currently, the Pumpkin Curry Soup is to die for, but as boards knows they have a selection of soups (some constant, some changing) every day.  

Actually we've never had anything there we didn't like, and that includes the pizza, of course.

Sea, sorry you're having trouble rising from a seated position.   Can relate due to memories of a badly bruised coccyx bone in my youth.   Very difficult to deal with, and more so in your case, I'm sure.   Glad you're still trucking (and eating pizza!) anyway.   And glad I could tell you about the New Yorker even if I never did one other thing for you (which I haven't, of course).   Wink

View user profile
RealLindaL wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Been to New Yorker Deli yet?   We were in there Thursday evening and I found myself looking for you.  But how would you manage on hard wooden chairs?


New Yorker Deli is the best.  My go-to is the spaghetti and meatballs.  

We're definitely in agreement on the New Yorker, boards.  Will have to try the spaghetti sometime, though we usually go on a lighter fare, sandwich/salad night.   On that score the Reuben is the best sandwich ever (we do the turkey version), though the Tuna Melt on rye (or whatever bread you like; they have several including sourdough) is also yummy.  And I always enjoy their Chef's Salad.  Currently, the Pumpkin Curry Soup is to die for, but as boards knows they have a selection of soups (some constant, some changing) every day.  

Actually we've never had anything there we didn't like, and that includes the pizza, of course.

Sea, sorry you're having trouble rising from a seated position.   Can relate due to memories of a badly bruised coccyx bone in my youth.   Very difficult to deal with, and more so in your case, I'm sure.   Glad you're still trucking (and eating pizza!) anyway.   And glad I could tell you about the New Yorker even if I never did one other thing for you (which I haven't, of course).   Wink


If you're a sandwich fan you should check out Philly's on Creighton, if you haven't already.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/phillys-cheesesteaks-and-hoagies-pensacola


_________________
I approve this message.
View user profile
Thanks for the recommendation, boards.  I did peruse the reviews and do love Philly cheesesteaks, as I went to college near Philly and they were a favorite, almost weekly treat.  Due to hubby's long-standing heart disease, though, we don't do much red meat anymore, and Creighton is just a bit far for us to roam on our once-a-week sandwich quest.  Still, am glad to know it's there and may just happen in there one of these days.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum