This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Finally, a Psychological Explanation for Why Angry Athiests Are So Annoying

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Splains a lot.... It seems our Heathen friends simply don't know how to comprehend other opinions. Other than their own beliefs, nothing else makes sense.

Finally, a Psychological Explanation for Why Angry Athiests Are So Annoying

By Drake Baer Nov 29, 2016

[...]

Seeing rationality as a moral grounding sheds light on why debates between angry atheists and true believers get so heated — it’s conviction versus conviction. “More specifically, these results suggest that they may be motivated by their conviction that it is morally wrong to rely on beliefs that are not backed up by logic and evidence,” the authors write. “To the extent that this is the case, it could also help explain why their argumentative style frequently comes off as angry and intolerant.”

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/11/a-science-y-explanation-for-why-angry-athiests-are-annoying.html

View user profile

Guest


Guest
I don't like politics from the pulpit anymore than I like edicts from pseudo-intellectual progressives. That said I completely support both of their rights to promote their opinions in the news cycles or any venue to include local and state govts. But a person's beliefs shouldn't be forced on others via the force of govt. That angers me. I think what sparks anger in leftists is they don't want others to take the high ground they belieeeeve belongs to them and their positions. A real atheist doesn't give much of a damn what people believe... as long as they respect the protections for those that disagree with them... unlike leftists.

I'm concerned/angered by any that want their subjective beliefs turned into law by the central govt.

Look in the mirror comrades.

Possibly the most idiotic article I've ever read.

A few years ago - back when I smoked - I was standing outside of Tin Cow downtown smoking a cigarette when two christians approached me. These are the type who go out and try to convert people in public. "Excuse me, but have you accepted jesus christ into your heart? blah blah blah." I basically told them "not interested" but they persisted and wanted to know why. I basically told them because there were no good reasons to believe in what they believe and there are plenty of good reasons to believe that they're flat wrong. They became more and more heated and eventually started telling me how I was going to burn in hell, blah blah blah.

Fairly recently I was walking out of Seville Quarter and was greeted by a mob of christians who were perched across the street with megaphones. "You're going to burn in hell! The hedonistic lifestyle leads to certain doom! Repent now of blah blah blah blah."

A while back there was a knock at the door. I have no idea what religion this guy was pushing but I was annoyed because he rang the doorbell several times in succession and caused my dogs to freak out. When I made it to the door and realized it was a religious nut, I was even more irritated. "Not interested". His reply, "Oh yeah, pal?! Not interested in eternal salvation?!?! Yeah? Good luck with that buddy!! Good luck!"

I can't recall any time, ever, where I have ever been approached by atheists with megaphones shouting at me, or who randomly approach me in an attempt to convert me over to their beliefs (and become irate no less when I'm not interested). I've never had an atheist repeatedly mash my doorbell and then be offended when I tell them that I'm not interested.


_________________
I approve this message.
View user profile
boards of FL wrote:I can't recall any time, ever, where I have ever been approached by atheists with megaphones shouting at me, or who randomly approach me in an attempt to convert me over to their beliefs (and become irate no less when I'm not interested).  I've never had an atheist repeatedly mash my doorbell and then be offended when I tell them that I'm not interested.

So true.  We do know there are those non-believers who can get pretty strident, but you typically don't see them encroaching on others' space this way.

I find encounters such as you describe (especially the street corner shouters) one of the most annoying things about Pensacola -- though I usually just feel sorry for the perps.  Fortunately it doesn't happen all that often.

View user profile

My youngest daughter always told them she was Wiccan.

View user profile
Floridatexan wrote:
My youngest daughter always told them she was Wiccan.  

Smart kid. lol!

View user profile
SURPRISE!

Our local Heathens go out of their way to confirm the accuracy of my thread.

THANK YOU!

View user profile
Matthew 6 warns us about folks like Mr. Markle........the hypocrisy cut be cut with a knife, but hey maybe you can post another bloodied nude photo of Chris to satisfy your prurient interests.....but thank you for confirming that hypocrites start threads like this, to pray the loudest and try to fool us about your piety......please the poison, pornography, and lies you post hurt people and it is not an accident.

View user profile
2seaoat wrote:Matthew 6 warns us about folks like Mr. Markle........the hypocrisy cut be cut with a knife, but hey maybe you can post another bloodied nude photo of Chris to satisfy your prurient interests.....but thank you for confirming that hypocrites start threads like this, to pray the loudest and try to fool us about your piety......please the poison, pornography, and lies you post hurt people and it is not an accident.

Why then are you and the others here unable to point out my lies and instead, hurl hate and vitriol toward me?

How am I being hypocritical?

View user profile
Markle wrote:SURPRISE!

Our local Heathens go out of their way to confirm the accuracy of my thread.

THANK YOU!


I have no idea how you can read my post and then conclude what you just concluded. Every time I read one your posts where you try to respond to someone but you misinterpret them - either as a way of running away or simply out of pure incompetence - I'm reminded of a quote from Bertrand Russell.

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."


_________________
I approve this message.
View user profile
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:SURPRISE!

Our local Heathens go out of their way to confirm the accuracy of my thread.

THANK YOU!


I have no idea how you can read my post and then conclude what you just concluded.   Every time I read one your posts where you try to respond to someone but you misinterpret them - either as a way of running away or simply out of pure incompetence - I'm reminded of a quote from Bertrand Russell.

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

Absolutely right on target here, boards. Excellent post.

View user profile
Markle wrote:Splains a lot....  It seems our Heathen friends simply don't know how to comprehend other opinions.  Other than their own beliefs, nothing else makes sense.

Finally, a Psychological Explanation for Why Angry Athiests Are So Annoying

By Drake Baer    Nov 29, 2016

[...]

Seeing rationality as a moral grounding sheds light on why debates between angry atheists and true believers get so heated — it’s conviction versus conviction. “More specifically, these results suggest that they may be motivated by their conviction that it is morally wrong to rely on beliefs that are not backed up by logic and evidence,” the authors write. “To the extent that this is the case, it could also help explain why their argumentative style frequently comes off as angry and intolerant.”

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/11/a-science-y-explanation-for-why-angry-athiests-are-annoying.html


It's not morally wrong to rely on beliefs that are not backed by logic and reason-it's just stupid and a waste of energy.

View user profile
Vikingwoman wrote:
Markle wrote:Splains a lot....  It seems our Heathen friends simply don't know how to comprehend other opinions.  Other than their own beliefs, nothing else makes sense.

Finally, a Psychological Explanation for Why Angry Athiests Are So Annoying

By Drake Baer    Nov 29, 2016

[...]

Seeing rationality as a moral grounding sheds light on why debates between angry atheists and true believers get so heated — it’s conviction versus conviction. “More specifically, these results suggest that they may be motivated by their conviction that it is morally wrong to rely on beliefs that are not backed up by logic and evidence,” the authors write. “To the extent that this is the case, it could also help explain why their argumentative style frequently comes off as angry and intolerant.”

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/11/a-science-y-explanation-for-why-angry-athiests-are-annoying.html


It's not morally wrong to rely on beliefs that are not backed by logic and reason-it's just stupid and a waste of energy.



That's what it says when you google Markle Posts. Laughing

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum