This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 7:26 pm



My wife estimated over 25 lbs. were picked off our 3 medium-sized trees, today and a like amount remains on the trees. We have been picking them here and there for about two weeks already.

We have had those trees for about 15 years. They made it through Hurricane Ivan, and some years they give a lot and others not so much. Wifey remembered to fertilize the trees last Spring, which helped.

Satsumas are about the only oranges that can survive the cold weather we get during the short winter we have here. We are passing them around to family members and some of our neighbors.

I love oranges, and usually thrive on California navels this time of year. For now, I have been enjoying a satsuma orange, homegrown, with my breakfast. They are pretty juicy and sweet, though some of the wedges can contain seeds.

View user profile http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 7:34 pm

Oh wow.....awesome. I need to get an orange tree. I have a lemon tree that is productive and an avocado tree that occasionally produces.

View user profile

3 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 8:22 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:Oh wow.....awesome. I need to get an orange tree. I have a lemon tree that is productive and an avocado tree that occasionally produces.

Joanie, I have heard that the closer you live to the Gulf--like where you live in Gulf Breeze, the easier it is to grow citrus-because it is a might warmer than at inland locations. I would prefer navels, but satsumas it is. We really do not do much to maintain the trees, except to fertilize them once during March or April. This year has been a good year for them.

A few years ago, we had two peach trees that really delivered. I would cut up fresh peaches on my cereal daily during the short harvest season. Those trees eventually died off, and two years ago we planted three more trees on a property we own, but they have not produced a bud yet.

View user profile http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

4 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 8:38 pm

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Oh wow.....awesome. I need to get an orange tree. I have a lemon tree that is productive and an avocado tree that occasionally produces.

Joanie, I have heard that the closer you live to the Gulf--like where you live in Gulf Breeze, the easier it is to grow citrus-because it is a might warmer than at inland locations. I would prefer navels, but satsumas it is. We really do not do much to maintain the trees, except to fertilize them once during March or April. This year has been a good year for them.

A few years ago, we had two peach trees that really delivered. I would cut up fresh peaches on my cereal daily during the short harvest season. Those trees eventually died off, and two years ago we planted three more trees on a property we own, but they have not produced a bud yet.


I never had luck with my peach trees....so I got rid of them.  My avocado tree was from a seed. One died in a frost and the remaining tree has frozen....but did fine once I cut it back.

View user profile

5 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 9:02 pm

We have a pink lemon tree in the backyard.

I guess it prolly produces 50-75 lemons a year.

Wonderful fruit - sweet and tart at the same time.

Love it in my tea.

View user profile

6 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 9:03 pm




But....my Bird of Paradise just  bloomed for the very first time. I brought it home from Tampa 2 days after Ivan.

It is huge....to big to bring inside during freezing temps but I have successfully kept it from the freezes.

View user profile

7 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 9:07 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:


But....my Bird of Paradise just  bloomed for the very first time. I brought it home from Tampa 2 days after Ivan.

It is huge....to big to bring inside during freezing temps but I have successfully kept it from the freezes.

Wow.

Nice bloom.

It took a few years for our bird, but now it blooms constantly.

Most of the flowers are smaller than the one you pictured tho.

It's a pain, but make sure you pull out all of the dead stuff.

It'll pay dividends.

View user profile

8 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 9:08 pm

For fun, I just planted a pineapple in a pot two weeks ago.

Thing is going nutz.

View user profile

9 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 9:19 pm

Sal wrote:For fun, I just planted a pineapple in a pot two weeks ago.

Thing is going nutz.

....I done that before. The little ones loved it.

View user profile

10 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 9:21 pm

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:


But....my Bird of Paradise just  bloomed for the very first time. I brought it home from Tampa 2 days after Ivan.

It is huge....to big to bring inside during freezing temps but I have successfully kept it from the freezes.

Wow.

Nice bloom.

It took a few years for our bird, but now it blooms constantly.

Most of the flowers are smaller than the one you pictured tho.

It's a pain, but make sure you pull out all of the dead stuff.

It'll pay dividends.


I do....it needs to be separated and re- potted. I am afraid to disturb it.

View user profile

11 Re: Satsuma Oranges from the Backyard on 11/17/2016, 9:29 pm

PLEASE tell me how to get rid of the "oranges" I have. Apparently they are a cross from a navel and a sour orange? The tree is huge and prolific.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum