This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jim O'Brien

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Jim O'Brien on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:48 am

Don't know how many of you have been to O'Brien's Bistro on Bayou Blvd. in Pensacola, but it's one of our favorite eateries.  A little pricey, but no worse than the beach restaurants in that regard, and with reliably tasty and interesting dishes on the menu.  O'Brien's has been going strong for 18 years so they must've been doing something right.  Definitely a locals favorite.

I'm sad to report that Jim, the owner and chef, died Thursday at age 50.  Don't know of what, but presume maybe a virulent cancer...?  We'd learned he was ill the last time we were there a few weeks back; they were training a new chef as Jim was in the hospital.  We had no clue it was so serious.  I feel bad now that we accepted free dessert because the wait time for our meal was unusually lengthy.

I have no idea whether or not the restaurant will continue, but I doubt anyone's asking just yet.   His wife, Edye, who acted as hostess and surely a lot more, survives him.   She seems a very strong and capable woman, but this has got to be a devastating blow.

Life is frequently SO unfair.  Sad

View user profile

2 Re: Jim O'Brien on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:32 am

Sorry to hear someone else has succumbed to cancer. We had an agent diagnosed with lung cancer three weeks ago, had his second bout of chemo Monday and something went wrong and he passed 3 hours later.

View user profile

3 Re: Jim O'Brien on Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:29 pm

Very sorry

View user profile

4 Re: Jim O'Brien on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:31 pm

OMG ppaca that's just terrible. I'm so very sorry.

View user profile

5 Re: Jim O'Brien on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:37 pm

I have never had the pleasure of eating at his establishment but I always prefer locally owned restaurants to chains. Some great some not so great.

When I traveled a lot I always asked someone in the hotel for their favorite, privately owned restaurant regardless of price. I never got a bad recommendation and MANY I would go back to again and again.

May God bless and comfort his family and loved ones in this difficult time.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum